Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme!

Transformers News: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme!

Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 12:25PM CDT

Categories: Media, Movie News, People News
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 12,768

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Seibertron.com member JazZeke has posted a link to a new Transformers theme song cover done by iconic rock band Cheap Trick.

The cover differs greatly from the version we heard in the 2007 live action film and may be an addition to Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. To listen to the song, scroll down and click the link below.

Transformers The Fallen Remix (Radio Edit)_123966.mp3 - Cheap Trick
Credit(s): JazZeke
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931342)
Posted by Chaoslock on June 3rd, 2009 @ 12:43pm CDT
This is slag.
The first one with Black Lab was, well... It went well with the video they threw together but otherwise it wasn't good enough to be put on an MP3-player.
This is even worse. What will be next band to make an even worse version of the theme? Alvin and the Chipmunks? Tokio Hotel? Celine Dion?
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931348)
Posted by Cyclonus_Maximus on June 3rd, 2009 @ 12:55pm CDT
Chaoslock wrote:This is slag.
The first one with Black Lab was, well... It went well with the video they threw together but otherwise it wasn't good enough to be put on an MP3-player.
This is even worse. What will be next band to make an even worse version of the theme? Alvin and the Chipmunks? Tokio Hotel? Celine Dion?



Maybe a Miley Cyrus/Jesse McCarthey duet next time #-o
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931352)
Posted by T-Macksimus on June 3rd, 2009 @ 12:58pm CDT
Prime Riblet wrote:I had no idea Cheap Trick did this. Totally didn't see that coming. Anyone ever watch Cheap Trick live? They are freaking awesome live. By far one of the best bands I ever saw live. :D


I'm officially jealous of you. I have not had the pleasure of seeing them in concert and I would absolutely love to.

I was very impressed with this. This should have been on the first soundtrack.
The version that was done for the first movie had the appeal of front desk music at a methodone clinic IMO. I'm sure those guys tried but Cheap Trick has a much beter grasp on the tempo involved with these films. I'm looking forward to picking up this new soundtrack even more now.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931354)
Posted by GuyIncognito on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:03pm CDT
MTV/Harmonix need to get that song into Rock Band for download! It would be a great cross-promotion for everyone involved.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931363)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:14pm CDT
Not a big fan of Cheap Trick (i like maybe 2 of their songs) but that wasnt half bad. Better then the crap we've heard so far. We need Iron Maiden to do a transformer song. If they can make a kick ass song about The rhyme of the ancient mariner and run silent run deep then they would make one of the best TF songs ever.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931367)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:19pm CDT
I think it sounds bad not I think it sounds shit.
Why can't we have a bad-ass TF based song for once? Something like we had back in 86 with Instruments of Destruction?
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931380)
Posted by T-Macksimus on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:42pm CDT
Megatron_Wolf wrote:Not a big fan of Cheap Trick (i like maybe 2 of their songs) but that wasnt half bad. Better then the crap we've heard so far. We need Iron Maiden to do a transformer song. If they can make a kick ass song about The rhyme of the ancient mariner and run silent run deep then they would make one of the best TF songs ever.


If you are looking for worshippers, sign me up!
That is probaly the most kick-ass idea I've heard all year.
What would you think of them doing it something along the lines of "Can I Play With Madness"? That's got a nice Giant Butt Kicking Robot rhythm to it. B-)
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931391)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:55pm CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:What would you think of them doing it something along the lines of "Can I Play With Madness"? That's got a nice Giant Butt Kicking Robot rhythm to it. B-)


Yeah, that's pretty much "Megatron's Theme" and it would be badass for Iron Maiden to cover the Touch!
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931395)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:59pm CDT
All of 10 seconds in and it is already heavily superior to that ABOMINATION that was the Mute Math themesong.

I like how its got bits of different themesongs in there. It has a lot of simillarities to the Lion themesong, but I wouldn't really call it a direct cover.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931398)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on June 3rd, 2009 @ 2:03pm CDT
Chaoslock wrote:This is slag.
The first one with Black Lab was, well... It went well with the video they threw together but otherwise it wasn't good enough to be put on an MP3-player.
This is even worse. What will be next band to make an even worse version of the theme? Alvin and the Chipmunks? Tokio Hotel? Celine Dion?


I disagree entirely. I found the Black Lab cover to be amazingly well constructed and it carried a very distinct mood. I have it on my mp3 player and I bought the CD that it was on (which is, in its own right, a good CD).
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931401)
Posted by T-Macksimus on June 3rd, 2009 @ 2:07pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:
T-Macksimus wrote:What would you think of them doing it something along the lines of "Can I Play With Madness"? That's got a nice Giant Butt Kicking Robot rhythm to it. B-)


Yeah, that's pretty much "Megatron's Theme" and it would be badass for Iron Maiden to cover the Touch!


I have heard damn few songs over the years where a remake blows the original clean out of the water, but Bruce Dickinsons would be PERFECT for The Touch.
That's makes 2 of the most kick-ass ideas of 2009 in the same thread.

I'm feeling a little guilty that suddenly Iron Maiden is getting more love than Cheap Trick on here. Maybe this exposure will get Cheap Trick running a bigger circuit than just Club and Casino gigs again. That would jack the ticket prices up but I would enjoy seeing them in a bigger venue.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931409)
Posted by Savage on June 3rd, 2009 @ 2:24pm CDT
Meh. This just doesn't work for me. The lyrics and music just don't sound like they belong together at all.

I liked Blacklab's version alright, definitely better than this one IMHO.

Regardless, I'm glad to see more bands giving it a shot. Maybe eventually there'll be a version of the TF theme for people of every musical taste.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931416)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on June 3rd, 2009 @ 2:36pm CDT
Cheap Trick? Really? Nice!

I'll have to check it out when I get home.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931439)
Posted by JazZeke on June 3rd, 2009 @ 3:10pm CDT
Woohoo I made news source again!
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931442)
Posted by First-Aid on June 3rd, 2009 @ 3:27pm CDT
No freaking way! Cheap Trick?

I'm from Rockford, IL...Cheap Trick's home town. I've played with Rick Nielsen..he will drop in and play with local bands every once in a while; also run into him at Rockford Ice Hogs ( the Blackhawks' AHL affiliate) occassionally. Met Bun Carlos at a baseball game too. It's very cool to see them on the TF soundtrack.

The song itself is a very classic Cheap Trick sound. Had some elements of Dream Police and Magical Mystery Tour in there, I thought.

And yes, they are AWESOME to see live. Rock on!
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931483)
Posted by Prime Riblet on June 3rd, 2009 @ 4:42pm CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:
Prime Riblet wrote:I had no idea Cheap Trick did this. Totally didn't see that coming. Anyone ever watch Cheap Trick live? They are freaking awesome live. By far one of the best bands I ever saw live. :D


I'm officially jealous of you. I have not had the pleasure of seeing them in concert and I would absolutely love to.

I was very impressed with this. This should have been on the first soundtrack.
The version that was done for the first movie had the appeal of front desk music at a methodone clinic IMO. I'm sure those guys tried but Cheap Trick has a much beter grasp on the tempo involved with these films. I'm looking forward to picking up this new soundtrack even more now.


Got lucky and saw them at the Blue Note in Columbia, Missouri around 1999 or 2000. The Blue Note is a little club in the middle of down, and i was about 8 feet away from Rick Nielsen. I was screaming like a little girl, and by the time it was over, I was absolutely deaf. One of the best shows I ever saw in my life. Most people don't realize how much they kick ass live, since their records are usually produced so (infamously) badly. God, that was a good night. :D
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931505)
Posted by 5150 Cruiser on June 3rd, 2009 @ 5:09pm CDT
SOrry, but this new version sucks. Big time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Black lab version, but even it is way better than this "cheap trick". I don't see this opening more doors for them.
It sucks,cause the first few seconds sounded promising, but then the rest of the beat... And the lyrics.... Horrible. Just Horrible. I still think Meat bee had the best cover of Transformers.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931522)
Posted by omega666 on June 3rd, 2009 @ 5:40pm CDT
No one beats Lion.


...


...


but this makes me want to throw panties on stage.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931539)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on June 3rd, 2009 @ 6:20pm CDT
5150 Cruiser wrote:SOrry, but this new version sucks. Big time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Black lab version, but even it is way better than this "cheap trick". I don't see this opening more doors for them.
It sucks,cause the first few seconds sounded promising, but then the rest of the beat... And the lyrics.... Horrible. Just Horrible. I still think Meat bee had the best cover of Transformers.


Meat Bee?
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931541)
Posted by DMSL on June 3rd, 2009 @ 6:24pm CDT
Don't like it give me the one from the G1 movie.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931558)
Posted by Prime Riblet on June 3rd, 2009 @ 6:45pm CDT
5150 Cruiser wrote:SOrry, but this new version sucks. Big time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Black lab version, but even it is way better than this "cheap trick". I don't see this opening more doors for them.
It sucks,cause the first few seconds sounded promising, but then the rest of the beat... And the lyrics.... Horrible. Just Horrible. I still think Meat bee had the best cover of Transformers.


Not everyone can be Van Halen.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931560)
Posted by Prime Riblet on June 3rd, 2009 @ 6:46pm CDT
5150 Cruiser wrote:SOrry, but this new version sucks. Big time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Black lab version, but even it is way better than this "cheap trick". I don't see this opening more doors for them.
It sucks,cause the first few seconds sounded promising, but then the rest of the beat... And the lyrics.... Horrible. Just Horrible. I still think Meat bee had the best cover of Transformers.


Not everyone can be Van Halen.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931566)
Posted by nemesis-prime on June 3rd, 2009 @ 7:27pm CDT
not bad better than that stan bush crap
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931609)
Posted by Brakethrough on June 3rd, 2009 @ 9:25pm CDT
Thank you, Cheap Trick, for channeling your special brand of vitality to this tune! This one's going to be on my mind all night.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931662)
Posted by 5150 Cruiser on June 3rd, 2009 @ 11:34pm CDT
Prime Riblet wrote:
5150 Cruiser wrote:SOrry, but this new version sucks. Big time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Black lab version, but even it is way better than this "cheap trick". I don't see this opening more doors for them.
It sucks,cause the first few seconds sounded promising, but then the rest of the beat... And the lyrics.... Horrible. Just Horrible. I still think Meat bee had the best cover of Transformers.


Not everyone can be Van Halen.


Whats that supposed to mean?



NuclearConvoy wrote:
5150 Cruiser wrote:SOrry, but this new version sucks. Big time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Black lab version, but even it is way better than this "cheap trick". I don't see this opening more doors for them.
It sucks,cause the first few seconds sounded promising, but then the rest of the beat... And the lyrics.... Horrible. Just Horrible. I still think Meat bee had the best cover of Transformers.


Meat Bee?


Yes. Meatbee. I found them a couple years ago when i did a search on iTunes for the Score for the Transformers Movie. Very well done. 10 times better than this "Cheap" new cover. :-P

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=20066404

Video's not mime,just useing it as refferance for the video.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931714)
Posted by zichzach on June 4th, 2009 @ 3:49am CDT
5150 Cruiser wrote:
Yes. Meatbee. I ..... 10 times better than this "Cheap" new cover.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=20066404



what!..are you deaf or just plain retard?
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931739)
Posted by Chaoslock on June 4th, 2009 @ 6:27am CDT
zichzach wrote:
5150 Cruiser wrote:
Yes. Meatbee. I ..... 10 times better than this "Cheap" new cover.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=20066404



what!..are you deaf or just plain retard?


*cough**cough* A bit easier on the comments.

But both of these versions make me want to listen to the new, rap version of the Touch... Even it is better than these.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931815)
Posted by NostagiBot on June 4th, 2009 @ 10:41am CDT
OMFG! That royally sucks ass! Leave it to Michael Bay to musically screw up the Transformers as he has done visually. I guess if you are going to screw something up, better go for broke. Don't be half-assed about it. :shock:

Personally, I would love to hear a version from the little known Transformers-homage band known as Shockwave. I hate to think what Bay will throw at us for Transformers 3- Britney Spears? Oh, I know, he can get the Backstreet Boys back together for a version of the song! :evil:

"Transformers are back!" (a play off that one Backstreet Boys song "Larger than Life") #-o
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931826)
Posted by Samsonator on June 4th, 2009 @ 11:13am CDT
Cheap Trick and Transformers, a winning combination!
Though count me in on the group that wants to see Iron Maiden do some TF stuff... That would be Beyond Good, Beyond Evil, Beyond the most badass thing you've ever imagined!
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931838)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 4th, 2009 @ 11:37am CDT
Chaoslock wrote:the new, rap version of the Touch...


...what...? Are you serious...? :shock:
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931962)
Posted by 5150 Cruiser on June 4th, 2009 @ 3:56pm CDT
zichzach wrote:
5150 Cruiser wrote:
Yes. Meatbee. I ..... 10 times better than this "Cheap" new cover.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=20066404



what!..are you deaf or just plain retard?


Nice comments. If this is the kind of fan base "Cheap Trick" has,then this new remake won't be doing the TF franchise any good.

Anyways, i stand behind my original comment. I fell nearly every other adaption we've had in the past from the original 86' movie theme, to Mute Math is better than this "Cheap" knock off.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931974)
Posted by JBPrime on June 4th, 2009 @ 4:12pm CDT
Personally, I loved Black Lab's cover, but being a fan of Cheap Trick, I'll be open to it.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931993)
Posted by Prime Riblet on June 4th, 2009 @ 4:36pm CDT
5150 Cruiser wrote:
Prime Riblet wrote:
5150 Cruiser wrote:SOrry, but this new version sucks. Big time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Black lab version, but even it is way better than this "cheap trick". I don't see this opening more doors for them.
It sucks,cause the first few seconds sounded promising, but then the rest of the beat... And the lyrics.... Horrible. Just Horrible. I still think Meat bee had the best cover of Transformers.


Not everyone can be Van Halen.


Whats that supposed to mean?



NuclearConvoy wrote:
5150 Cruiser wrote:SOrry, but this new version sucks. Big time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Black lab version, but even it is way better than this "cheap trick". I don't see this opening more doors for them.
It sucks,cause the first few seconds sounded promising, but then the rest of the beat... And the lyrics.... Horrible. Just Horrible. I still think Meat bee had the best cover of Transformers.


Meat Bee?


Yes. Meatbee. I found them a couple years ago when i did a search on iTunes for the Score for the Transformers Movie. Very well done. 10 times better than this "Cheap" new cover. :-P

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=20066404

Video's not mime,just useing it as refferance for the video.


5150 is the turning point album for Van Halen when they took a dramatic turn for the worse and became Van Hagar.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014