Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme!

Transformers News: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme!

Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 12:25PM CDT

Categories: Movie News, People News, Media
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 14,576

Seibertron.com member JazZeke has posted a link to a new Transformers theme song cover done by iconic rock band Cheap Trick.

The cover differs greatly from the version we heard in the 2007 live action film and may be an addition to Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. To listen to the song, scroll down and click the link below.

Transformers The Fallen Remix (Radio Edit)_123966.mp3 - Cheap Trick
Credit(s): JazZeke
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931342)
Posted by Chaoslock on June 3rd, 2009 @ 12:43pm CDT
This is slag.
The first one with Black Lab was, well... It went well with the video they threw together but otherwise it wasn't good enough to be put on an MP3-player.
This is even worse. What will be next band to make an even worse version of the theme? Alvin and the Chipmunks? Tokio Hotel? Celine Dion?
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931348)
Posted by Cyclonus_Maximus on June 3rd, 2009 @ 12:55pm CDT
Chaoslock wrote:This is slag.

Maybe a Miley Cyrus/Jesse McCarthey duet next time #-o
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931352)
Posted by T-Macksimus on June 3rd, 2009 @ 12:58pm CDT
Prime Riblet wrote:I had no idea Cheap Trick did this. Totally didn't see that coming. Anyone ever watch Cheap Trick live? They are freaking awesome live. By far one of the best bands I ever saw live. :D

I'm officially jealous of you. I have not had the pleasure of seeing them in concert and I would absolutely love to.

I was very impressed with this. This should have been on the first soundtrack.
The version that was done for the first movie had the appeal of front desk music at a methodone clinic IMO. I'm sure those guys tried but Cheap Trick has a much beter grasp on the tempo involved with these films. I'm looking forward to picking up this new soundtrack even more now.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931354)
Posted by GuyIncognito on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:03pm CDT
MTV/Harmonix need to get that song into Rock Band for download! It would be a great cross-promotion for everyone involved.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931363)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:14pm CDT
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931367)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:19pm CDT
I think it sounds bad not I think it sounds shit.
Why can't we have a bad-ass TF based song for once? Something like we had back in 86 with Instruments of Destruction?
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931380)
Posted by T-Macksimus on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:42pm CDT
Megatron_Wolf wrote:Not a big fan of Cheap Trick (i like maybe 2 of their songs) but that wasnt half bad. Better then the crap we've heard so far. We need Iron Maiden to do a transformer song. If they can make a kick ass song about The rhyme of the ancient mariner and run silent run deep then they would make one of the best TF songs ever.

If you are looking for worshippers, sign me up!
That is probaly the most kick-ass idea I've heard all year.
What would you think of them doing it something along the lines of "Can I Play With Madness"? That's got a nice Giant Butt Kicking Robot rhythm to it. B-)
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931391)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:55pm CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty much "Megatron's Theme" and it would be badass for Iron Maiden to cover the Touch!
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931395)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on June 3rd, 2009 @ 1:59pm CDT
All of 10 seconds in and it is already heavily superior to that ABOMINATION that was the Mute Math themesong.

I like how its got bits of different themesongs in there. It has a lot of simillarities to the Lion themesong, but I wouldn't really call it a direct cover.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931398)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on June 3rd, 2009 @ 2:03pm CDT
Chaoslock wrote:This is slag.

I disagree entirely. I found the Black Lab cover to be amazingly well constructed and it carried a very distinct mood. I have it on my mp3 player and I bought the CD that it was on (which is, in its own right, a good CD).
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931401)
Posted by T-Macksimus on June 3rd, 2009 @ 2:07pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:
T-Macksimus wrote:

I have heard damn few songs over the years where a remake blows the original clean out of the water, but Bruce Dickinsons would be PERFECT for The Touch.
That's makes 2 of the most kick-ass ideas of 2009 in the same thread.

I'm feeling a little guilty that suddenly Iron Maiden is getting more love than Cheap Trick on here. Maybe this exposure will get Cheap Trick running a bigger circuit than just Club and Casino gigs again. That would jack the ticket prices up but I would enjoy seeing them in a bigger venue.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931409)
Posted by Savage on June 3rd, 2009 @ 2:24pm CDT
Meh. This just doesn't work for me. The lyrics and music just don't sound like they belong together at all.

I liked Blacklab's version alright, definitely better than this one IMHO.

Regardless, I'm glad to see more bands giving it a shot. Maybe eventually there'll be a version of the TF theme for people of every musical taste.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931416)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on June 3rd, 2009 @ 2:36pm CDT
Cheap Trick? Really? Nice!

I'll have to check it out when I get home.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931439)
Posted by JazZeke on June 3rd, 2009 @ 3:10pm CDT
Woohoo I made news source again!
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931442)
Posted by First-Aid on June 3rd, 2009 @ 3:27pm CDT
No freaking way! Cheap Trick?

I'm from Rockford, IL...Cheap Trick's home town. I've played with Rick Nielsen..he will drop in and play with local bands every once in a while; also run into him at Rockford Ice Hogs ( the Blackhawks' AHL affiliate) occassionally. Met Bun Carlos at a baseball game too. It's very cool to see them on the TF soundtrack.

The song itself is a very classic Cheap Trick sound. Had some elements of Dream Police and Magical Mystery Tour in there, I thought.

And yes, they are AWESOME to see live. Rock on!
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931483)
Posted by Prime Riblet on June 3rd, 2009 @ 4:42pm CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:

I was very impressed with this. This should have been on the first soundtrack.

Got lucky and saw them at the Blue Note in Columbia, Missouri around 1999 or 2000. The Blue Note is a little club in the middle of down, and i was about 8 feet away from Rick Nielsen. I was screaming like a little girl, and by the time it was over, I was absolutely deaf. One of the best shows I ever saw in my life. Most people don't realize how much they kick ass live, since their records are usually produced so (infamously) badly. God, that was a good night. :D
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931505)
Posted by 5150 Cruiser on June 3rd, 2009 @ 5:09pm CDT
It sucks,cause the first few seconds sounded promising, but then the rest of the beat... And the lyrics.... Horrible. Just Horrible. I still think Meat bee had the best cover of Transformers.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931522)
Posted by omega666 on June 3rd, 2009 @ 5:40pm CDT
No one beats Lion.

...

...

but this makes me want to throw panties on stage.
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931539)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on June 3rd, 2009 @ 6:20pm CDT
5150 Cruiser wrote:SOrry, but this new version sucks. Big time. I wasn't that big of a fan of the Black lab version, but even it is way better than this "cheap trick". I don't see this opening more doors for them.

Meat Bee?
Re: Cheap Trick covers the Transformers theme! (931541)
Posted by DMSL on June 3rd, 2009 @ 6:24pm CDT
Don't like it give me the one from the G1 movie.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers MOVIE ALLSPARK BATTLES RESCUE RATCHET DECEPTICON BRAWL MOC 2007 - Time Remaining: 3 days 17 hours 16 minutes 23 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Prime Cyberverse Bumblebee Battle Suit - Time Remaining: 4 days 12 hours 57 minutes 4 seconds
Transformers Cyclonus Original Laser Gun Weapon Accessory Vintage Part G1 1986 - Time Remaining: 4 days 6 hours 22 minutes 16 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Prime Cyberverse Star Hammer & Wheeljack - Time Remaining: 4 days 13 hours 18 minutes 29 seconds
Transformers G1 Parts 1987 ABOMINUS fist SET (discolour) - Time Remaining: 4 days 6 hours 53 minutes 16 seconds
e-Hobby Exclusive - Transformers Legends - Deadlock - Time Remaining: 4 days 17 hours 55 minutes 31 seconds
Transformers Go! G01 KENZAN Transformers - Time Remaining: 4 days 15 hours 8 minutes 2 seconds
Transformers MP-30 Masterpiece Ratchet US SELLER - Time Remaining: 3 days 20 hours 24 minutes 48 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #146 - Happy Accidents