Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours

Transformers News: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours

Friday, February 23rd, 2007 5:16PM CST

Categories: Heavy Metal War, Site News
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 20,857

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Sorry for the delay in relaying this information to you guys. The site is currently running off a backup server right now. HMW will be down for the next 72 hours until this problem is resolved. Apparently the database server had a bad scuzzy drive which has been causing the problems with the bad database tables, according to ThePlanet (the company which hosts Seibertron.com's servers). This would explain why I wasn't able to create proper backups of the Forums, Demiurgic City and Heavy Metal War during the past few months. The only thing that looks like something wrong happened with this latest problem are the private messages but I haven't had a chance to check yet. Hopefully once this issue is resolved, everything will be back to normal. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused any of you.

Seibertron.com's Server Hosting Company said:
The Trouble Ticket you entered into Server Command of EV1Servers.net has been modified. The following notes have been made to your ticket.
------------------------
Description of the Resolution:

2/22/2007 5:25:08 PM
DataCenter
Ryan Yzquierdo

It appears that sda is going bad, and will need to be replaced. Since this is a hardware failure you will need a restore and the restore, obviously will be of no charge to you. All we need is the go ahead to bring your server down for this maintenance or a good date and time thats convenient for you. Your server only holds two drives so we can remove your sdb drive temporarily to slave the old master to the new master drive for data recovery. Please let us know how you would like to proceed. Thank you.

Aaron R
Datacenter Server Technician
Houston Datacenter 2
The Planet
Credit(s): Seibertron
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33053)
Posted by Seibertron on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:22pm CST
I added this to the news section after changing the initial text.

"Sorry for the delay in relaying this information to you guys. The site is currently running off a backup server right now. HMW will be down for the next 72 hours until this problem is resolved. Apparently the database server had a bad scuzzy drive which has been causing the problems with the bad database tables, according to ThePlanet (the company which hosts Seibertron.com's servers). This would explain why I wasn't able to create proper backups of the Forums, Demiurgic City and Heavy Metal War. Hopefully once this issue is resolved, everything will be back to normal. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused any of you."
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33056)
Posted by Anonymous on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:25pm CST
Seibertron wrote:I added this to the news section after changing the initial text.

"Sorry for the delay in relaying this information to you guys. The site is currently running off a backup server right now. HMW will be down for the next 72 hours until this problem is resolved. Apparently the database server had a bad scuzzy drive which has been causing the problems with the bad database tables, according to ThePlanet (the company which hosts Seibertron.com's servers). This would explain why I wasn't able to create proper backups of the Forums, Demiurgic City and Heavy Metal War. Hopefully once this issue is resolved, everything will be back to normal. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused any of you."


So we'll have lost HMW data?
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33057)
Posted by Seibertron on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:26pm CST
I was glad to see this was a server problem and not a coding problem. The site's been doing about double the traffic that it was doing back in October and November. Instead of doing 150,000 pageviews per day, the site is doing about 250,000 to 300,000 pageviews per day. I think the day after Toy Fair the site did about 379,000 pageviews. It's been pretty crazy server wise the past few weeks.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33058)
Posted by decepticonjon on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:29pm CST
dethklok dethklok
yea, guess i need to find something to do this weekend.
hah.
thanks for the heads up.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33061)
Posted by Seibertron on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:29pm CST
shockwaveuk wrote:
Seibertron wrote:I added this to the news section after changing the initial text.

"Sorry for the delay in relaying this information to you guys. The site is currently running off a backup server right now. HMW will be down for the next 72 hours until this problem is resolved. Apparently the database server had a bad scuzzy drive which has been causing the problems with the bad database tables, according to ThePlanet (the company which hosts Seibertron.com's servers). This would explain why I wasn't able to create proper backups of the Forums, Demiurgic City and Heavy Metal War. Hopefully once this issue is resolved, everything will be back to normal. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused any of you."


So we'll have lost HMW data?


I updated my statement above. I meant to say "during the past few months" to the part you bolded. The only think that looks like had become corrupted this time were the private messages for some reason. I haven't had a chance to look at mine yet.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33062)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:30pm CST
Is this effecting how many of my posts turn up when I click the "view posts" page? There should be 7 pages of them when I do and I get a "No topics or posts met your search criteria" for all but the first page instead.

edit: to be clear about it I'm getting posts for what would be the first page (which would be the most recent) it's the other 6 I'm having the no topics or posts message.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33063)
Posted by Anonymous on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:31pm CST
Seibertron wrote:
shockwaveuk wrote:
Seibertron wrote:I added this to the news section after changing the initial text.

"Sorry for the delay in relaying this information to you guys. The site is currently running off a backup server right now. HMW will be down for the next 72 hours until this problem is resolved. Apparently the database server had a bad scuzzy drive which has been causing the problems with the bad database tables, according to ThePlanet (the company which hosts Seibertron.com's servers). This would explain why I wasn't able to create proper backups of the Forums, Demiurgic City and Heavy Metal War. Hopefully once this issue is resolved, everything will be back to normal. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused any of you."


So we'll have lost HMW data?


I updated my statement above. I meant to say "during the past few months" to the part you bolded. The only think that looks like had become corrupted this time were the private messages for some reason. I haven't had a chance to look at mine yet.


So all HMW data is still good?
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33064)
Posted by Seibertron on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:31pm CST
Yep, it appears that a lot of the private messages were lost. I'm going to leave the private message topics in the database that don't have corresponding text so that you guys can at least contact the people that you need to get a hold of. I'll clear out the bad private message topics at a later date (maybe a month or so down the road).
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33065)
Posted by Seibertron on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:33pm CST
shockwaveuk wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
shockwaveuk wrote:
Seibertron wrote:I added this to the news section after changing the initial text.

"Sorry for the delay in relaying this information to you guys. The site is currently running off a backup server right now. HMW will be down for the next 72 hours until this problem is resolved. Apparently the database server had a bad scuzzy drive which has been causing the problems with the bad database tables, according to ThePlanet (the company which hosts Seibertron.com's servers). This would explain why I wasn't able to create proper backups of the Forums, Demiurgic City and Heavy Metal War. Hopefully once this issue is resolved, everything will be back to normal. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused any of you."


So we'll have lost HMW data?


I updated my statement above. I meant to say "during the past few months" to the part you bolded. The only think that looks like had become corrupted this time were the private messages for some reason. I haven't had a chance to look at mine yet.


So all HMW data is still good?


Yes, it should be A.O.K. from first glance.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33068)
Posted by Seibertron on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:34pm CST
ShGarland_1383 wrote:Is this effecting how many of my posts turn up when I click the "view posts" page? There should be 7 pages of them when I do and I get a "No topics or posts met your search criteria" for all but the first page instead.

edit: to be clear about it I'm getting posts for what would be the first page (which would be the most recent) it's the other 6 I'm having the no topics or posts message.


Hm ... that might be an unrelated issue. It seems that the posts are all here, at least for the topics that have tested so far. I'll have to look into the other issue later or it might just have to be dealt with when I switch us over to the new forum system.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33072)
Posted by celestial on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:37pm CST
72 hours eh?? gives me time to play world of warcraft burning crusade :grin: 8)
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33073)
Posted by Prowl76 on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:38pm CST
Thank you Seibs. Now I can stop checking back here every hour to see what is up.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33076)
Posted by Nemesis_Apoc on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:40pm CST
sh*t
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33086)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:51pm CST
Seibertron wrote:
ShGarland_1383 wrote:Is this effecting how many of my posts turn up when I click the "view posts" page? There should be 7 pages of them when I do and I get a "No topics or posts met your search criteria" for all but the first page instead.

edit: to be clear about it I'm getting posts for what would be the first page (which would be the most recent) it's the other 6 I'm having the no topics or posts message.


Hm ... that might be an unrelated issue. It seems that the posts are all here, at least for the topics that have tested so far. I'll have to look into the other issue later or it might just have to be dealt with when I switch us over to the new forum system.

I'd believe it if it was unrelated, I just felt now's a good time to bring it up. Thanks for all the hard work Ryan!
:APPLAUSE:
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33092)
Posted by Down_Shift on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:56pm CST
Supercollider wrote:Dalmascia for me as Final Fantasy XII arrived today!
Boooooooooooooo such a bad Final Fantasy! :P

Joking aside, thanks for the heads up Seibs. No I can do what I normally do on weekends. Enjoy a social life :wink:

*I'm just playin with y'all, anjoy your MMOs and FFXIIs ;)^
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33093)
Posted by Seibertron on February 23rd, 2007 @ 5:57pm CST
ShGarland_1383 wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
ShGarland_1383 wrote:Is this effecting how many of my posts turn up when I click the "view posts" page? There should be 7 pages of them when I do and I get a "No topics or posts met your search criteria" for all but the first page instead.

edit: to be clear about it I'm getting posts for what would be the first page (which would be the most recent) it's the other 6 I'm having the no topics or posts message.


Hm ... that might be an unrelated issue. It seems that the posts are all here, at least for the topics that have tested so far. I'll have to look into the other issue later or it might just have to be dealt with when I switch us over to the new forum system.

I'd believe it if it was unrelated, I just felt now's a good time to bring it up. Thanks for all the hard work Ryan!
:APPLAUSE:


Do you know how long this problem has been going on with the page that you mentioned? If it's something that has been going on longer than the past 24 - 48 hours, then it's unrelated. If that problem started happening today, then it's most likely related somehow.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33100)
Posted by Caelus on February 23rd, 2007 @ 6:02pm CST
:-? Wonder how many dissertations I can get read in 72 hours...
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33185)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on February 24th, 2007 @ 1:17am CST
Seibertron wrote:
ShGarland_1383 wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
ShGarland_1383 wrote:Is this effecting how many of my posts turn up when I click the "view posts" page? There should be 7 pages of them when I do and I get a "No topics or posts met your search criteria" for all but the first page instead.

edit: to be clear about it I'm getting posts for what would be the first page (which would be the most recent) it's the other 6 I'm having the no topics or posts message.


Hm ... that might be an unrelated issue. It seems that the posts are all here, at least for the topics that have tested so far. I'll have to look into the other issue later or it might just have to be dealt with when I switch us over to the new forum system.

I'd believe it if it was unrelated, I just felt now's a good time to bring it up. Thanks for all the hard work Ryan!
:APPLAUSE:


Do you know how long this problem has been going on with the page that you mentioned? If it's something that has been going on longer than the past 24 - 48 hours, then it's unrelated. If that problem started happening today, then it's most likely related somehow.

Definitely unrelated then. I can't remember when it first started, just that it's been more than 48 hours. Hmn. Not too long ago I noticed that everything before whatever should be on page 7 now was gone. I didn't mind so much because I know for sure that I had some links to images that were too big to post here that are definitely not there now. Didn't effect my post count; I'm pretty sure 751 (not counting this one, which makes it 752) is accurate. Just no posts.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33244)
Posted by steve2275 on February 24th, 2007 @ 2:42am CST
God Magnus wrote:And just when I was starting to get back into it.
wonderful timeing huh
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33329)
Posted by Thunderwarp on February 24th, 2007 @ 7:06am CST
can this be a good timing for the big reset i been hearing about??
:-?
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33332)
Posted by Burn on February 24th, 2007 @ 7:18am CST
Thunderwarp wrote:can this be a good timing for the big reset i been hearing about??
:-?


No.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33354)
Posted by Redimus GTS on February 24th, 2007 @ 8:42am CST
Burn wrote:
Thunderwarp wrote:can this be a good timing for the big reset i been hearing about??
:-?


No.


We're not even at the beginning of the end yet, let alone the end of the end.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33408)
Posted by Tifereth on February 24th, 2007 @ 9:50am CST
Thunderwarp wrote:can this be a good timing for the big reset i been hearing about??
:-?


No. When that time comes we will be noticed in advance.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (33503)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on February 24th, 2007 @ 11:01am CST
Funny, everything was working fine for me yesterday untill I clicked this story, then the whole site locked me out till now.
Re: Database server is having problems ... should be resolved within 72 hours (34130)
Posted by Stormrider on February 25th, 2007 @ 7:34am CST
By the way Seibertron, I tried sent you a PM right before you posted the server problems. I wonder if you got it.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014