Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers?

Transformers News: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers?

Wednesday, December 5th, 2007 8:32PM CST

Categories: Rumors, People News
Posted by: Professor Smooth   Views: 30,368

TFW2005 content contributor Ktulu recently had a change to sit down with fan favorite Transformers comic book artist and designer Don Figueroa. Check out what he had to say below. Some of what he says may surprise you!

From TFW2005 member Ktulu. Original thread with concept art can be seen here.
Credit(s): First Gen/Ktulu

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (492564)
Posted by MaikeruSama on December 5th, 2007 @ 8:51pm CST
I dont blame him. Hasbro jips him and ruins his designs. Also they dont give him enough credit or let any of his toys come out. Which the Grimlock was awsome!
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (492570)
Posted by sto_vo_kor_2000 on December 5th, 2007 @ 8:55pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:so NovaPrime is actually Optimus Prime?! :shock:

That was a shocker for you????I noticed the simularties the first time I saw his alt mode.

First Gen wrote:
Cool eh? And whats cooler is that Nova is actually Nemesis Prime.

They didnt say it yet but its starting to look that way.
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (492577)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on December 5th, 2007 @ 8:56pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:Since when is that so?

Since Simon said so.
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (492617)
Posted by 1337W422102 on December 5th, 2007 @ 9:23pm CST
That Megatron Scarface image made my day!
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (492642)
Posted by ThunderZap on December 5th, 2007 @ 9:37pm CST
Yeah his megatron is badass :grin:
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (492811)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on December 5th, 2007 @ 11:51pm CST
It's a bummer he's not working on Transformers as much. But creator-owned stuff? Awesome news!
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (492849)
Posted by Dclone Soundwave on December 6th, 2007 @ 12:30am CST
This is pretty unfortunate is it really is true. Don is a great TF artist, we've had some of the best pieces from him, I mean come on, ho doesn't love the G1 or Multiverse lithos!? All I have to say about his concept of the first Megatron is......I can't come up w/a word that describes that kind of awesomeness. His face is more the Decepticon insignia that Soundwave, & Soundwave is already pretty mcuh the Decepticon insignia.
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (492973)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 6th, 2007 @ 4:53am CST
sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:so NovaPrime is actually Optimus Prime?! :shock:

First Gen wrote:
Cool eh? And whats cooler is that Nova is actually Nemesis Prime.

They didnt say it yet but its starting to look that way.

I haven't seen him jet, just pic someone posted as the OP spotlight came out.
I have to wait till cHristmas to read it :sad:
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (492995)
Posted by cellshock on December 6th, 2007 @ 5:17am CST
Don is, was and always will be THE best TF artist that I have ever seen. That's not to say everyone else sucks or anything - it's just that Don's style and insane attention to detail is exactly how I have always wanted TF to look, and it wasn't until I seen his stuff that I even knew that kind of grown-up look was possible.

By the tone of his answers, I get the distinct impression that he was seriously overworked but underpaid & underappreciated. Sounds like both IDW and Hasbro had a very "take it or leave it" attitude with him, and certainly didn't give the attention to his designs that he undoubtedly deserved. I guess that point is more than proven with how they released his WW Megatron without the sword, and never released his WW Grimlock, WW Prowl, second WW Seeker design, G1 Shockwave, G1/WW Cosmos, WW Bumblebee/Cliffjumper, etc. at all.

I'm glad he was given the opportunity to rise from comic artist to Hasbro designer since we got a few kick ass figures out of it (WW Prime & Classics Jetfire in particular), but it's a crying shame that we won't see more of his stuff in print or in three dimensional toy form.
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493048)
Posted by Silent_Magnus on December 6th, 2007 @ 6:10am CST
Dead Metal wrote:Wow, that was a nice interview, so NovaPrime is actually Optimus Prime?! :shock:

Yeah, DonFig posted that in the Optimus Spotlight Discussion thread awhile ago.

I wonder what line the Optimus Design was for?
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493098)
Posted by moonie on December 6th, 2007 @ 7:10am CST
what??!! done??! nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493100)
Posted by Blitzwing the warrior on December 6th, 2007 @ 7:14am CST
I think you guys are overreacting, so Don wants to move on and do other things. I mean, you cant force him to keep drawing Transformers forever, heck even I get tired of constantly drawing the same thing over and over
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493117)
Posted by Xion on December 6th, 2007 @ 7:29am CST
Maybe he need just a break of all this stuff, and even I say it's never been finished when he got a good moneycontract again, maybe just maybe he comes back for 6 new comics. Besides we always have Guido Guidi and EJ Su.
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493124)
Posted by Cyber-Kun on December 6th, 2007 @ 7:32am CST
The guy deserves a break, I can understand him not wanting to do Transformers for a while. I really like his original mechs (not being restricted by G1), I'm more excited for what he's doing next.
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493188)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on December 6th, 2007 @ 8:28am CST
Blitzwing the warrior wrote:so Don wants to move on and do other things. I mean, you cant force him to keep drawing Transformers forever

I don't want him to keep drawing Transformers forever. I just want him to finish "The Ascending" before he goes. His artwork has been one of, if not the, only good thing I've been able to say about it.
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493236)
Posted by Ric17 on December 6th, 2007 @ 9:13am CST
A shame. But I think Don will be back. He truly is the greatest TF artist of all time!
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493247)
Posted by First Gen on December 6th, 2007 @ 9:24am CST

On to bigger and better things. And who knows, maybe a whole new TF universe when Don gets his own comic company.

Ok, thats super optimistic but it doesnt hurt to dream. :grin:
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493315)
Posted by WhiteRabbit on December 6th, 2007 @ 10:09am CST
First Gen wrote:It does suck major, cause Pat Lee's fat blocky style of TF drawing doesnt appeal to me that much.

Well, good thing his ass has been off the property for years now. :)
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493335)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 6th, 2007 @ 10:25am CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:

That is finished I would say.
Re: Don Figueroa Interview: Done with Transformers? (493396)
Posted by partholon on December 6th, 2007 @ 10:56am CST
i love the way people seem to think he's dead or something :grin: :grin:

the guys been doing the books for YEARS! how many other artists have stuck with a property this long lately?

i think don just needs a break and after his turnout i cant blame him. just look at that work load. the guy obviously loves TF so he'll be back someday but he deserves the break and hey that can result in a revitalised fig chomping at the bit to get stuck in. personally , and i dont want to seem like im attacking him, but i wasnt that pushed on his ascending stuff. it just seemed pumped out by the numbers and lacked the style he had in stormbringer for instance so long term this could be a good thing.

and hey what artist doesnt want to do his own comic? if anyone deserves that its don

Ending Soon On eBay

Megatron Transformers Prime Beast Hunters  Voyager Class Action Figure - Time Remaining: 2 days 13 hours 10 minutes 7 seconds
Transformers Movie 2007 Offroad Ironhide Allspark Power Voyager MISB New Sealed - Time Remaining: 7 days 23 hours 19 minutes 19 seconds
SDCC 2016 EXCLUSIVE HASBRO TRANSFORMERS DECEPTICON SOUNDWAVE TABLET - Time Remaining: 2 days 12 hours 10 minutes 51 seconds
Transformers 1988 G1 Pretenders: Landmine *missing belt one rifle accessory - Time Remaining: 1 day 14 hours 19 minutes 3 seconds
Transformers 1988 G1 Powermasters: Joyride *figure only - Time Remaining: 1 day 14 hours 22 minutes 56 seconds
Transformers Robots in Disguise Power Surge Optimus Prime - Ready to Ship - Time Remaining: 1 day 18 hours 24 minutes 5 seconds
TRANSFORMERS PRIME BEAST HUNTERS PREDACONS RISING BEAST FIRE PREDAKING Target - Time Remaining: 2 days 13 hours 39 minutes 10 seconds
TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE ROADBUSTER VS DIRGE MIB 2008 - Time Remaining: 1 day 23 hours 9 minutes 11 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #149 - Titans Arrive