Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

First In-package Generations Whirl Image

Transformers News: First In-package Generations Whirl Image

Friday, December 27th, 2013 5:32AM CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: LOST Cybertronian   Views: 33,265

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

It's been a while since we have seen any new images of the upcoming Generations Voyager Whirl figure, however CYBERGEEKS Alliance have given us a new image including in-package. The said package boasts of 3 modes. Looks like the gerwalk mode is now an official mode for Whirl. Just like his G1 counterpart, Whirl comes packing with many weapons.

Transformers News: First In-package Generations Whirl Image
Credit(s): CYBERGEEKS Alliance
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537838)
Posted by RhA on December 27th, 2013 @ 5:41am CST
Cool. It'll go nicely with my GEEWUN Whirl.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537842)
Posted by fenrir72 on December 27th, 2013 @ 6:33am CST
Now all we need is an official Roadbuster then the Wreckers are nearly complete.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537843)
Posted by RhA on December 27th, 2013 @ 6:34am CST
fenrir72 wrote:Now all we need is an official Roadbuster then the Wreckers are nearly complete.


Was there something wrong with FOC Roadbuster, perhaps? :michaelbay:
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537845)
Posted by Valandar on December 27th, 2013 @ 7:31am CST
Yes, it's not Roadbuster. :P
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537847)
Posted by shockblast2 on December 27th, 2013 @ 7:39am CST
Did they really find it necessary to make his propellers neon green? It looks stupid with that color choice.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537848)
Posted by shockblast2 on December 27th, 2013 @ 7:41am CST
Valandar wrote:Yes, it's not Roadbuster. :P



Sure it is. It is just not a geewun classics version. Kinda like this Whirl here, and any other figure Hasbro has released since the last wave of Generations in 2011.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537856)
Posted by GuyIncognito on December 27th, 2013 @ 8:48am CST
I can't wait to get him. Another nice addition for my G1/Classicsverse display.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537857)
Posted by Rated X on December 27th, 2013 @ 8:52am CST
Awesome ! W
He will look great next to Fansproject Roadbuster !
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537860)
Posted by Mkall on December 27th, 2013 @ 9:27am CST
shockblast2 wrote:Did they really find it necessary to make his propellers neon green? It looks stupid with that color choice.

I think they're yellow, but it's been changed due to the level off light exposure/photoshop.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537861)
Posted by swagitron on December 27th, 2013 @ 9:37am CST
Three modes?
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537862)
Posted by GuyIncognito on December 27th, 2013 @ 9:47am CST
swagitron wrote:Three modes?


Most likely, the "third" mode is a "battle" mode - either the bot mode or the alt mode with weapons added.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537864)
Posted by fenrir72 on December 27th, 2013 @ 10:02am CST
Gerwalk?
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537866)
Posted by T-Macksimus on December 27th, 2013 @ 10:07am CST
GuyIncognito wrote:
swagitron wrote:Three modes?


Most likely, the "third" mode is a "battle" mode - either the bot mode or the alt mode with weapons added.


An "in between" or Gerwalk mode as was stated in the article. Basically, the helicopter mode with legs and arms.

The original G1 molds for Whirl, Roadbuster and Jetfire were directly taken from the Macross/Robotech line-up of vehicles/toys. So Whirl and Jetfire have a 3rd or gerwalk mode in the same way that a VF-1J or any VF series jet from Robotech has a 3rd combat mode.

shockblast2 wrote:
Valandar wrote:Yes, it's not Roadbuster. :P



Sure it is. It is just not a geewun classics version. Kinda like this Whirl here, and any other figure Hasbro has released since the last wave of Generations in 2011.


No... it really isn't. And yes, this Whirl is most definitely a G1 classics version. Maybe not in official title or product line but just in the respect that it blows EVER single other version of Whirl since the original right out of the water in terms of being faithful to it's original namesake.
That p.o.s. re-paint FoC "Roadbuster"... let us not speak of that insult any more. That...thing...is not worthy of the Roadbuster name nor has any other iteration since the original been anything more than just a slap in the face.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537868)
Posted by Flashwave on December 27th, 2013 @ 10:18am CST
Man, I really want to love that Whirl, but I can't get over the front of the helicopter. If they couldn't have done a better casting to make the back of his thighs less thigh like in coptor mode, couldn't they have at least given him some hinged plates the way Energon Bulkhead did it?

Not gonna stop me from buying the figure, but its a knock against it for an otherwise pretty pseudo-apache helicopter.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537870)
Posted by Flashwave on December 27th, 2013 @ 10:23am CST
T-Macksimus wrote:
shockblast2 wrote:
Valandar wrote:Yes, it's not Roadbuster. :P



Sure it is. It is just not a geewun classics version. Kinda like this Whirl here, and any other figure Hasbro has released since the last wave of Generations in 2011.


No... it really isn't. And yes, this Whirl is most definitely a G1 classics version. Maybe not in official title or product line but just in the respect that it blows EVER single other version of Whirl since the original right out of the water in terms of being faithful to it's original namesake.
That p.o.s. re-paint FoC "Roadbuster"... let us not speak of that insult any more. That...thing...is not worthy of the Roadbuster name nor has any other iteration since the original been anything more than just a slap in the face.


I completely agree that the only thing FOC Roadbuster has going for it is a head and a pre-earth Jeep, but what do you have against the original Classics Roadbuster? Heavy duty armored car, sure its not a jeep but it is plastered with guns, the right general colors, and sure seems like a logical next step for Roadbuster to me... Or, if its the size that irks you, the Roadbuster Ultra magnus alt mode from the Animated series shows up in one of the "-tion" series IDW comics. Kup's riding it like a chariot.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537871)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on December 27th, 2013 @ 10:24am CST
I can't wait to get him!
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537874)
Posted by Noideaforaname on December 27th, 2013 @ 11:29am CST
Swerve = MTMTE design, 'cause that's the one everyone fell in love with
Skids = MTMTE design, 'cause that's the one everyone fell in love with
Tailgate = MTMTE design, 'cause that's the one everyone fell in love with
Whirl = original toy design, 'cause... er, uh, ummm..........


Still probably going to get him myself, but this Whirl doesn't scratch my MTMTE itch.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537875)
Posted by STngAR on December 27th, 2013 @ 11:34am CST
Looking forward to adding him to my collection


:MAXIMAL:
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537877)
Posted by Moonshot on December 27th, 2013 @ 11:55am CST
I still have to pass on this Whirl, really disappointed it wasn't more MTMTE looking as I was excited for that. He does look cool though as I was 6 when G1 started so I am surely a G1er, but I will still pass.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537879)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on December 27th, 2013 @ 12:04pm CST
Noideaforaname wrote:Whirl = original toy design, 'cause... er, uh, ummm..........

...because the original has a design flaw that causes his claws to break if you make the mistake of extending them all the way as intended. It's all the fun of Gold Plastic Syndrome, but instead of an oddity in the plastic that only showed itself over time, this was an avoidable design flaw. And people wonder why Takotoru went under...

Add in his plastic being that Scourge/Hot Spot shade of baby-blue that yellows easily, and mint G1 Whirls become SO scarce over time that he's one of those rare cases where we do need an update that CHUGs closer to his original toy than recent media appearances.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537881)
Posted by Breakdown318 on December 27th, 2013 @ 12:11pm CST
I don't care whether he looks like the MTMTE design or not, I will finally have a toy of the "brutal symphony of sound and fury"!... That is if I can find it :-(
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537882)
Posted by GuyIncognito on December 27th, 2013 @ 12:21pm CST
Bumblevivisector wrote:
Noideaforaname wrote:Whirl = original toy design, 'cause... er, uh, ummm..........

...because the original has a design flaw that causes his claws to break if you make the mistake of extending them all the way as intended. It's all the fun of Gold Plastic Syndrome, but instead of an oddity in the plastic that only showed itself over time, this was an avoidable design flaw. And people wonder why Takotoru went under...

Add in his plastic being that Scourge/Hot Spot shade of baby-blue that yellows easily, and mint G1 Whirls become SO scarce over time that he's one of those rare cases where we do need an update that CHUGs closer to his original toy than recent media appearances.


Hmmm. I still have my G1 Whirl, and I never had either of those problems. The claws work fine, and there is no yellowing. :???:
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537884)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on December 27th, 2013 @ 12:34pm CST
GuyIncognito wrote:
Bumblevivisector wrote:
Noideaforaname wrote:Whirl = original toy design, 'cause... er, uh, ummm..........

...because the original has a design flaw that causes his claws to break if you make the mistake of extending them all the way as intended. It's all the fun of Gold Plastic Syndrome, but instead of an oddity in the plastic that only showed itself over time, this was an avoidable design flaw. And people wonder why Takotoru went under...

Add in his plastic being that Scourge/Hot Spot shade of baby-blue that yellows easily, and mint G1 Whirls become SO scarce over time that he's one of those rare cases where we do need an update that CHUGs closer to his original toy than recent media appearances.


Hmmm. I still have my G1 Whirl, and I never had either of those problems. The claws work fine, and there is no yellowing. :???:
Glad to hear it, and mine is in good shape too, but I've seen the horrors of which I speak in Ebay lots and dealers' parts-graveyards. I keep it out of the sun and corrugated cardboard boxes, and only extend the claws out far enough to grasp his weapons, never into that final circular area designed to click onto the rod in his wrist.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537887)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on December 27th, 2013 @ 12:49pm CST
im still on the fence about this guy, ive always wanted whirl and this will probably be the only way for me to ever have one but im just not feeling this mold or coloring. Think ill just wait till i actually see it in person.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537892)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on December 27th, 2013 @ 1:25pm CST
I need dis.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537893)
Posted by Shadowstream on December 27th, 2013 @ 1:56pm CST
I just want to know if he's articulated enough to punch himself in the face, so he may yet prove his super-unvinciblity
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537900)
Posted by shockblast2 on December 27th, 2013 @ 2:59pm CST
Hopefully the blades are yellow. Not that I am going to pass on it anyhow as it obviously goes with the rest of the G3 figures Hasbro has released since last summer. But, the neon green does not work with that blue color. It looks goofy.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537910)
Posted by Ravage XK on December 27th, 2013 @ 4:43pm CST
Such an odd looking bot but then so was his G1 self.

I don't know if I like it, doesn't seem to fit in anywhere with his odd looks.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537923)
Posted by Mindmaster on December 27th, 2013 @ 6:12pm CST
I like it. I'd like to see more of his "stickers", if they're still on that idea.

One thing that bothers me is the fact we've had more Autobots than Decepticons in the terms of Voyagers. The Autobots have Springer, Sandstorm, Rhinox (even if he's a Maximal, he's an Autobot descendant, so it still counts!), and Whirl. Decepticons have had Blitzwing and Doubledealer. Hopefully some of the items from that leaked product sheet of Generations stuff will yield more Decepticons... :PRAY:
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537932)
Posted by craggy on December 27th, 2013 @ 6:58pm CST
not quite IDW enough for me actually. May maybe possibly get it at some point down the line, but he's not on my must have list yet.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537942)
Posted by RiddlerJ on December 27th, 2013 @ 9:27pm CST
Mindmaster wrote:I like it. I'd like to see more of his "stickers", if they're still on that idea.

One thing that bothers me is the fact we've had more Autobots than Decepticons in the terms of Voyagers. The Autobots have Springer, Sandstorm, Rhinox (even if he's a Maximal, he's an Autobot descendant, so it still counts!), and Whirl. Decepticons have had Blitzwing and Doubledealer. Hopefully some of the items from that leaked product sheet of Generations stuff will yield more Decepticons... :PRAY:


And Doubledealer isn't even a real Decepticon. He's a mercenary.

Of course if they would just do the Duocon repaints like everyone wants that could help fill out the Decep ranks a little.

I might pick this guy up. I have the 2008 Universe Roadbuster so Whirl can go with him.

I just wonder if there's any repaints that can come out of this guy. Sky High maybe?
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537943)
Posted by Mkall on December 27th, 2013 @ 9:37pm CST
RiddlerJ wrote:I just wonder if there's any repaints that can come out of this guy. Sky High maybe?

Sky High, Rotorstorm, and Windmill all seem like decent repaint/remold ideas
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1537950)
Posted by Mindmaster on December 27th, 2013 @ 10:07pm CST
Mkall wrote:
RiddlerJ wrote:I just wonder if there's any repaints that can come out of this guy. Sky High maybe?

Sky High, Rotorstorm, and Windmill all seem like decent repaint/remold ideas


Though Rotorstorm's going to need more than a new head to look good. At least some new hands too.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538047)
Posted by RiddlerJ on December 28th, 2013 @ 2:26pm CST
Mindmaster wrote:
Mkall wrote:
RiddlerJ wrote:I just wonder if there's any repaints that can come out of this guy. Sky High maybe?

Sky High, Rotorstorm, and Windmill all seem like decent repaint/remold ideas


Though Rotorstorm's going to need more than a new head to look good. At least some new hands too.


Rotorstorm would be good though the fact that he is also blue might be a problem since I would think HasTak would want a repaint that looks significantly different.

Oh wait! Over-Run would work.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538106)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on December 28th, 2013 @ 8:12pm CST
RiddlerJ wrote:
Mindmaster wrote:
Mkall wrote:
RiddlerJ wrote:I just wonder if there's any repaints that can come out of this guy. Sky High maybe?

Sky High, Rotorstorm, and Windmill all seem like decent repaint/remold ideas


Though Rotorstorm's going to need more than a new head to look good. At least some new hands too.


Rotorstorm would be good though the fact that he is also blue might be a problem since I would think HasTak would want a repaint that looks significantly different.

Oh wait! Over-Run would work.


Or they could reverse his blues to the original Ovelon Gazette's color scheme and call it a new character; I'm guessing "Chopper" is off-limits no matter how dead the Convertors property is. Maybe...Tribune? Herald? Examiner? Times-Picayune? Okay, I got nothin', except my love of all the '80s robot toylines TF crushed and/or partially assimilated. Of course, something that obscure could be right up FunPub's alley...

Though considering how extensively Springer and Sandstorm are retooled from each other, a new head and hands seem pretty reasonable for this guy, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was sculpted with any of the aforementioned guys in mind.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538107)
Posted by bvzxa on December 28th, 2013 @ 8:16pm CST
Whirl was originally the "Oberon Gazette" from the Armored Trooper Dorvack toyline
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538114)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on December 28th, 2013 @ 9:39pm CST
bvzxa wrote:Whirl was originally the "Oberon Gazette" from the Armored Trooper Dorvack toyline
I get way more relevant search results for "Ovelon". Not a legit phonetic translation? Is there a sub of Dorvack anywhere online?

And I brought up Convertors because Maladroids have been mentioned in official TF fiction, so homaging Chopper and Wheels would make more sense than their original Dorvack mecha incarnations. Convertors still rules so hard that someone needs to channel the spirit of Carl Macek and edit Dorvack, Galvion, and some tinted Macross footage into a proper Convertors series. It could even end up being a better continuation of Robotech than anything Harmony Gold's attempted over the last 12 years.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538131)
Posted by FellintoOblivion on December 28th, 2013 @ 11:34pm CST
I'll get this because I'm a completionist but this is definitely a "transform once and put away" for me.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538134)
Posted by bvzxa on December 28th, 2013 @ 11:58pm CST
Bumblevivisector wrote:
bvzxa wrote:Whirl was originally the "Oberon Gazette" from the Armored Trooper Dorvack toyline
I get way more relevant search results for "Ovelon". Not a legit phonetic translation? Is there a sub of Dorvack anywhere online?

And I brought up Convertors because Maladroids have been mentioned in official TF fiction, so homaging Chopper and Wheels would make more sense than their original Dorvack mecha incarnations. Convertors still rules so hard that someone needs to channel the spirit of Carl Macek and edit Dorvack, Galvion, and some tinted Macross footage into a proper Convertors series. It could even end up being a better continuation of Robotech than anything Harmony Gold's attempted over the last 12 years.


Carl Macek got lucky. They were all Big West anime. However no one knew that of all of them Macross would be the most popular among the Japanese fans. Dorvack was ok. Galvion had subpar animation after the first few episodes it was rather grating.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538144)
Posted by MasterSoundBlaster on December 29th, 2013 @ 2:07am CST
I'm still gonna pick him up even though I was REALLY hoping for his MTMTE look. I think someone told me that he would be too lanky and top heavy to turn into toy form, but I mean...

Image

Is still a nice, updated, and MTMTE-ish look. And I know we can pump out an Obsidian repaint/retool out of:

Image
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538255)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 29th, 2013 @ 3:58pm CST
Weesh... This thing is ugly as sin. I dunno if I'll ever buy it. Maybe the in hands image will be better.

Also, what 3rd mode?
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538257)
Posted by craggy on December 29th, 2013 @ 3:59pm CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:Also, what 3rd mode?

wow, it's like there hasn't been a whole thread discussing the toy.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538258)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on December 29th, 2013 @ 4:02pm CST
craggy wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:Also, what 3rd mode?

wow, it's like there hasn't been a whole thread discussing the toy.


I think he means like "Mode 2.5", the gerwalk mode is more like the copter with legs (and without arms).
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538260)
Posted by craggy on December 29th, 2013 @ 4:11pm CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
craggy wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:Also, what 3rd mode?

wow, it's like there hasn't been a whole thread discussing the toy.


I think he means like "Mode 2.5", the gerwalk mode is more like the copter with legs (and without arms).

I think he means he can't be arsed reading the thread.

As for a gerwalk mode being a half-assed 3rd mode, we've seen a lot cheaper and easier things described as extra modes, and we'll see it again.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538267)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 29th, 2013 @ 5:01pm CST
craggy wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:Also, what 3rd mode?

wow, it's like there hasn't been a whole thread discussing the toy.


TL;DR
Image
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538280)
Posted by FellintoOblivion on December 29th, 2013 @ 6:31pm CST
craggy wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:Also, what 3rd mode?

wow, it's like there hasn't been a whole thread discussing the toy.


Wow, it's like there aren't enough random assholes on the internet.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538391)
Posted by Mindmaster on December 30th, 2013 @ 1:54pm CST
So I'm going to be the only one that provides Kanrabat the help he needs?

Jerks. >:oP

Image

It'll more than likely look better than this. You know those photographers, they can't be bothered with how to transform something properly.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538395)
Posted by Burn on December 30th, 2013 @ 2:05pm CST
FellintoOblivion wrote:
craggy wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:Also, what 3rd mode?

wow, it's like there hasn't been a whole thread discussing the toy.


Wow, it's like there aren't enough random assholes on the internet.


Thank you for your insightful contribution to a situation that was only simmering. The Staff of Seibertron.com appreciate your help in escalating the matter.

Please don't do it again.

Any of you.
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538405)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 30th, 2013 @ 2:23pm CST
Mindmaster wrote:So I'm going to be the only one that provides Kanrabat the help he needs?

Jerks. >:oP

Image

It'll more than likely look better than this. You know those photographers, they can't be bothered with how to transform something properly.


Thanks you very much.

As for that "3rd mode". Sigh... By that logic, ALL transformers do have that mode. Is there some sort of cannon history for that "mode" to be official?
Re: First In-package Generations Whirl Image (1538406)
Posted by craggy on December 30th, 2013 @ 2:28pm CST
TLDGAF
T-Macksimus wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:
swagitron wrote:Three modes?


Most likely, the "third" mode is a "battle" mode - either the bot mode or the alt mode with weapons added.


An "in between" or Gerwalk mode as was stated in the article. Basically, the helicopter mode with legs and arms.

The original G1 molds for Whirl, Roadbuster and Jetfire were directly taken from the Macross/Robotech line-up of vehicles/toys. So Whirl and Jetfire have a 3rd or gerwalk mode in the same way that a VF-1J or any VF series jet from Robotech has a 3rd combat mode.

shockblast2 wrote:
Valandar wrote:Yes, it's not Roadbuster. :P



Sure it is. It is just not a geewun classics version. Kinda like this Whirl here, and any other figure Hasbro has released since the last wave of Generations in 2011.


No... it really isn't. And yes, this Whirl is most definitely a G1 classics version. Maybe not in official title or product line but just in the respect that it blows EVER single other version of Whirl since the original right out of the water in terms of being faithful to it's original namesake.
That p.o.s. re-paint FoC "Roadbuster"... let us not speak of that insult any more. That...thing...is not worthy of the Roadbuster name nor has any other iteration since the original been anything more than just a slap in the face.

Click here to view an additional 78 comments about this topic at the Energon Pub Forums ...

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #105 - Megatronus
Twincast / Podcast #105:
"Megatronus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, November 23rd, 2014