First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog

Wednesday, January 15th, 2014 9:40PM CST

Category: Live Action Movie News
Posted by: Mindmaster   Views: 31,853

Here's tonight's second piece of Age of Extinction news! The folks who run the Charticon convention Facebook page announced that in an upcoming Party City catalog for Halloween 2014, Age of Extinction Drift is featured. As it happens, this also gives us our first good, albeit heavily pixelated, look at how Drift will appear in the upcoming film.

Transformers News: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog

Based on this image, as well as the SD figurine image from a while back, it appears that rumors of a samurai motif are confirmed, as he sports armor much like those that follow the code of bushido.
Credit(s): Charticon
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542278)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on January 15th, 2014 @ 9:42pm CST
well, i cant say i am surprised. but it is dumb. :SICK:
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542281)
Posted by MasterSoundBlaster on January 15th, 2014 @ 9:45pm CST
I smell Bludgeon repaints...

Weird, I'm actually kinda digging the design.
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542282)
Posted by ishigoto on January 15th, 2014 @ 9:46pm CST
I'm...sure the final version will look much better than this. I bet his character model isn't even fully rendered yet. Even if the plots may be lacking, Bay-formers always *look* cool, and hey! At least we have an identity of the bugatti Veyron!
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542283)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on January 15th, 2014 @ 9:52pm CST
Ah, a more generic samurai form. Does it remind anyone else of that gremlin-faced samurai from those animated Levi's commercials?

TF costumes have come a long way from the days of a picture of Topspin on the chest, but I'm with ishigoto on this not being the finalized design.
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542286)
Posted by dedcat on January 15th, 2014 @ 9:56pm CST
The Wolverine franchise called. They want their robo-samurai back.
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542288)
Posted by Noideaforaname on January 15th, 2014 @ 10:08pm CST
Oh! That bobble-head thing actually was Drift, then, and not the Shredder or some such...
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542290)
Posted by Mindmaster on January 15th, 2014 @ 10:11pm CST
ishigoto wrote:I'm...sure the final version will look much better than this. I bet his character model isn't even fully rendered yet.

I will say nothing. Top secret, confidential stuff going down here... :-$ ;)
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542291)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 15th, 2014 @ 10:14pm CST
A samurai from the world of Tron.

Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542292)
Posted by Mindmaster on January 15th, 2014 @ 10:16pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:A samurai from the world of Tron.

A... samurtron. Or, or, or... tronurai.

Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542297)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 15th, 2014 @ 10:31pm CST
Let's also not forget that this image is for a Halloween costume of Drift, rather than Drift himself.
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542300)
Posted by Tiby on January 15th, 2014 @ 10:33pm CST
So, we have a car that cannot drift named "Drift", which is a German-built French marque that transforms into a Japanese warrior. Yep - sounds like Michael Bay's in charge!
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542302)
Posted by PrymeStriker on January 15th, 2014 @ 10:35pm CST
I approve! Can't wait to see the toy of this badass!
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542303)
Posted by EagleTron on January 15th, 2014 @ 10:37pm CST
Looks good, I'm kind of relieved that they didn't make this robot mode hideous like that leader Optimus.
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542304)
Posted by EagleTron on January 15th, 2014 @ 11:02pm CST
I like Samurai, even though I think I'm a ninja. This Drift looks really like an ancient warrior. My display shelf wouldn't mind this one at all. Im crossing my fingers hoping that this design turns out good.
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542310)
Posted by Rated X on January 15th, 2014 @ 11:30pm CST
Somebody get me a barf bag :SICK:
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542313)
Posted by T-Macksimus on January 15th, 2014 @ 11:51pm CST

This is pure crap! It's insulting, it's an abomination.

There! That's my opinion! Not going to apologize for it. Not going to defend it.
I tried for an hour to write something that wouldn't piss everyone off but still got my opinion across. It's just not possible but this is the closest I can get.
Just be thankful I showed some restraint and consideration because I REALLY wanted to fire off about this design.
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542316)
Posted by Spleenzorio on January 16th, 2014 @ 12:10am CST
Nevermind what Drift looks like, nobodys mentioned that we aren't even halfway through January yet and there's already Halloween costumes being advertised.
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542319)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on January 16th, 2014 @ 12:25am CST
T-Macksimus wrote:Dammit. spent the better part of the last hour doing this, re-wrote this thing 5 times... screw it all.

This is pure crap! It's insulting, it's an abomination.

:lol: You can't please everyone, glad you said what you felt.
I'm sure the final design will look sleek or nicely coloured/rendered and whatever. But in all honesty, I am so bored of ninja this, samurai that. You can have swords and overlapping armour, just have to get creative with the parts being used for it.

Don't bring up Bludgeon, he was a ninja-esque robot decades ago, and even in ROTF form looks much better than this rehashed crap. Well, at the end of the day, its Bay, and no one is forcing me to buy the eventual crap toy. I hope the Dinobots look good though, coz I am guessing my Slag and Swoop will be from this line.
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542323)
Posted by TimothyR on January 16th, 2014 @ 12:44am CST

This is pure crap! It's insulting, it's an abomination.

why not rip it apart?

i don't think the body looks too bad.. at least there's a recognizable part of the vehicle visible.

i absolutely HATE the head/face.. it ridiculous. just because he's a samurai or ninja.. or whatever.. doesn't mean his head needs to look like that.. hell.. i'd prefer something that looked more like shredders helmet.. i thought generations drift's head was awesome.. i really wish we had a movie take on that head. i'd prefer a more modern bad ass samurai look rather than an ancient looking one.

i also think they take stereotypes a bit too far. i understand the use of little stereotypical design cues.. but this is just too blatant for a robot that they've tried to make very clear are ALIEN.
Re: First Look at Age of Extinction Drift via Party City Catalog (1542325)
Posted by Mkall on January 16th, 2014 @ 1:00am CST
Does it look better than some Movie Transformers? Yes.

Will I get a toy of it? No.

Ending Soon On eBay

original G1 Transformers HARDHEAD HEADMASTER DUROS - Time Remaining: 4 days 16 hours 42 minutes 3 seconds
Transformers Universe SKYFALL Ultra Class Decepticon Robot black jet - Time Remaining: 5 days 3 hours 57 minutes 25 seconds
Pretender G1 Transformers Lot Pincher W/ Claw Splashdown Hasbro Action Figure - Time Remaining: 3 days 9 hours 34 minutes 10 seconds
Transformers G1 1986 SPRINGER complete figure hasbro takara - Time Remaining: 11 days 15 hours 21 minutes 18 seconds
Transformers Generation Cliffjumper - Time Remaining: 3 days 21 hours 58 minutes 51 seconds
Transformers Henkei Dirge - Time Remaining: 5 days 5 hours 58 minutes 45 seconds
transformers g1 fortress maximus large blue rifle gun blaster cannon laser - Time Remaining: 4 days 14 hours 59 minutes 48 seconds
Transformers G1 1987 SKULLCRUNCHER complete headmasters figure hasbro takara - Time Remaining: 4 days 16 hours 32 minutes 12 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #159 - Imperfect Specks