First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock?

Transformers News: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock?

Monday, June 17th, 2013 6:26PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 24,044

Here's another interesting listing from eBay seller lena81822, what appears to be our first look at the Platinum Edition Transformers Fall of Cybertron Voyager Grimlock. Back during Toy Fair 2013 we were told by Hasbro representatives that we could expect a Platinum Edition set featuring a redeco of Transformers Generations Voyager Grimlock and Bruticus. We've mirrored the images from the auction below, along with some comparison images of Takara Tomy's TG-19 Grimlock. Note the differences in the gold and lack of red on this figures abdomen among other deco differences.

For comparison here are images of TG-19 Grimlock:

Credit(s): lena81822

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496108)
Posted by Dr Va'al on June 17th, 2013 @ 6:34pm CDT
It's shiny, but I'm not sure sure it's different enough to justify consideration, really.
Hmmm. :-?
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496116)
Posted by craggy on June 17th, 2013 @ 7:10pm CDT
if I was to get a shiny Grimlock, I'd probably favour the Japanese version, just because of the red on the belly. but I'm not sure Grimlock should be this shiny.
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496125)
Posted by Twitchythe3rd on June 17th, 2013 @ 7:37pm CDT
Extra shiny and his shoulders seem to be lower. Not enough to convince me.
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496136)
Posted by Shockwave7 on June 17th, 2013 @ 8:09pm CDT
M'eh. Platinum Grimlock looks a lot like regular old Hasbro WFC Grimlock. Shiny paint doesn't hide the flaws in the mold. I had such high hopes for this one. And I admit, he looks great in robot mode. But the alt mode falls apart. It won't pose worth snot. (and poseability wouldn't matter anyway, because it constantly overbalances unless you pose it in only ONE way) The front looks OK, but the back doesn't look like a tail at all - it's more like he's trying to pass a log.

Not wasting money on this one.
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496143)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on June 17th, 2013 @ 8:44pm CDT
i can easily do that with some model paint, unless they make the figure less hollow and look better in rex mode theres no way in hell im wasting money on another grimlock.
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496147)
Posted by xyl360 on June 17th, 2013 @ 8:58pm CDT
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496178)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 17th, 2013 @ 10:27pm CDT
Was hoping for a red belly (what was Hasbro thinking with that ugly gray and yellow belly both the retail and this one were given?), but looks like I'll be saving myself some money.

..Unless the Bruticus winds up knocking our socks off. ;)
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496186)
Posted by MGrotusque on June 17th, 2013 @ 10:58pm CDT
No thanks.
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496189)
Posted by RAcast on June 17th, 2013 @ 11:29pm CDT
xyl360 wrote:Nice try, but it still comes up short compared to Takara's. I won't be swapping my preorders any time soon. You can keep this 'platinum edition' Hasbro; I'm goin' Takara all the way ;).

Indeed, they didn't even bother to paint the legs with that nice gold, they're the same dark gold paint as the original release.
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496192)
Posted by Noideaforaname on June 17th, 2013 @ 11:34pm CDT
Not much different, is it? Besides the torso and dino-neck being metallic did they really change anything?
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496197)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on June 18th, 2013 @ 12:06am CDT
Looks pretty cool.

The thing is, this supposedly comes packed with G1 accurate colour Bruticus...

The Bruticus is meant to be the draw here...

Oh well, I already own Takara Bruticus... Hope this does not render that useless.
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496208)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 18th, 2013 @ 12:36am CDT
Looks really nice!

...but the crotch is still yellow. :BANG_HEAD:

So I'm guessing that this'll never see stateside release. :-( I'm interested in seeing the Combaticons, and unless they're to have Generation One-inspired decos, I'm most likely not going to pick them up, since I already have the original retail releases (who were already bitches to find and were close to $75 to complete).
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496214)
Posted by Rated X on June 18th, 2013 @ 1:01am CDT
I just cant get into this figure no matter how it's painted. I would gladly go for a G2 repaint though in blue and green. Forget Grimlock, how about a look at the Platinum Edition Bruticus ? Will we finally get a G1 deco Vortex ? Or will it be another puke and period blood colored monster...I need that G1 vortex !!!
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496256)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 18th, 2013 @ 7:44am CDT
Mindmaster wrote:So I'm guessing that this'll never see stateside release. :-(
But we've gotten every other Platinum Edition thus far. Hasbro even announced it last Toy Fair.
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496311)
Posted by Manterax Prime on June 18th, 2013 @ 12:32pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Mindmaster wrote:So I'm guessing that this'll never see stateside release. :-(

Yeah, online. Some of us actually want these in brick and mortar locations to bypass shipping expenses.
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496313)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 18th, 2013 @ 12:35pm CDT
Manterax Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Mindmaster wrote:So I'm guessing that this'll never see stateside release. :-(

Canada?
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496314)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 18th, 2013 @ 12:38pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Manterax Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Mindmaster wrote:So I'm guessing that this'll never see stateside release. :-(

Canada?

Oh, how I would love to be on the border of Canada... :-(
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496315)
Posted by Manterax Prime on June 18th, 2013 @ 12:41pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Manterax Prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Mindmaster wrote:So I'm guessing that this'll never see stateside release. :-(

Canada?

Oh, how I would love to be on the border of Canada... :-(

Western Canada specifically seeing as most Asian market imports seem to be centralized there.
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496378)
Posted by Sodan-1 on June 18th, 2013 @ 7:42pm CDT
I don't like it. Makes me think of a 'Safety Awareness' Grimlock.

'Kids, if you need to ride your bike at night remember to wear your high-vis vests and underwear!' :KREMZEEK:
Re: First Look at Platinum Edition Grimlock? (1496379)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 18th, 2013 @ 7:44pm CDT
Sodan-1 wrote:I don't like it. Makes me think of a 'Safety Awareness' Grimlock.

Needs more caveman-esque speech.

"Me Grimlock say small humans ride two wheels with reflective gear at night!"

Ending Soon On eBay

Hasbro Transformers G1 Classics Grimlock Gregg Berger sealed & autographed - Time Remaining: 5 days 23 hours 3 minutes 43 seconds
Transformers Collector's Club 2016 exclusive member figure Ramjet unopened - Time Remaining: 1 day 12 hours 33 minutes 41 seconds
Transformers G1 1985 HOUND IGA (mexican) instructions book manual - Time Remaining: 6 days 20 hours 26 minutes 59 seconds
Transformers Robots In Disguise X-Brawn, Ultra Magnus,Autobot Skido,Mudflap - Time Remaining: 7 days 3 hours 36 minutes 48 seconds
KUP~ Complete~ REAL NICE~ G1 TRANSFORMERS~ ALL ORIGINAL~ C-9+ - Time Remaining: 6 days 22 hours 8 minutes 17 seconds
Vintage Transformers G1 Pounce and Wingspan Clones 1987 Hasbro 100% Loose Comple - Time Remaining: 20 days 23 hours 8 minutes 36 seconds
Transformers G1 Lot Super Go Bot Warpath MIB Vintage Collection 1980s toys - Time Remaining: 6 days 5 hours 9 minutes 31 seconds
Transformers G1 Lot Targetmaster Scoop with  Acc. Rare 1980s Toys! - Time Remaining: 5 days 22 hours 39 minutes 37 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #149 - Titans Arrive