G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay

Transformers News: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay

Thursday, January 26th, 2012 10:55AM CST

Categories: Toy News, Sightings, Auctions
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 39,859

Thanks to Stormrider we now know of a pretty cool bit of news, there is currently an auction for a full case of G1 Astrotrains and Blitzwings dead-stock on e-bay.
Just in case you don't know, a dead-stock is when a warehouse is cleared and emptied and a large amount, usually entire cases of toys are found. And you know what that means, these are genuine factory sealed Astrotrains and Blitzwings from the '80s!
The asking price USD 13,000, which at 12 figures makes about USD 1083 per figure. While the auction itself is way overpriced it is kinda cool knowing that there still is G1 dead-stock out there waiting to be found.

Here's what the auctioneer has to say about the item(s)
Hello All!

What I have today is one heck of a doozy for transformer collectors. In my travels, my business partners and myself came across an auction that had vintage toy deadstock from the 60's to the 80's. In that deadstock was this gem: A case of vintage Astrotrains(6)and Blitzwings(6). From what I can tell, the items appear to have never been removed from the case box although the box was opened for display. This means that these are probably uncirculated pieces that have stayed in storage for the past 25-30 years. Although I have not removed the items from the box myself, I believe that these items are the highest condition possible. On top of this, this may be the last known example of a case of these toys to exist in the world today.

Unlike with the majority of the auctions I run, I am opening this one to the world as a whole. On top of that, I am offering free express shipping with insurance anywhere in the world for the winner of the auction.

I don't think I have to tell anyone that this is a true once in a lifetime item for any collector of Transformers, Hasbro Toys, or Vintage 80's toys.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Thanks

1/11/2012: Decided to take items out of case and took pictures of each one. These are examples of the front of the box. I have pictures of all 12 and of each side. If you would like to see all 72 pics, send me a message and I will forward you the link to photobucket. Thanks

Credit(s): Stormrider, e-bay
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338464)
Posted by kirbenvost on January 26th, 2012 @ 11:03am CST

BTW, typo in the news story: "The asking price USD 13,000, which makes at 72 figures makes USD 1,083 per figure."
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338466)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 26th, 2012 @ 11:10am CST
kirbenvost wrote:Wow, that's pretty amazing. I have never, ever seen G1s still in the case really cool. But yeah, pretty expensive...

Thanks.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338468)
Posted by Lord Onixprime on January 26th, 2012 @ 11:23am CST
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338479)
Posted by Blackstreak on January 26th, 2012 @ 11:49am CST
fenrir72 wrote:Still no takers after nearly 4 weeks?

Are you surprised? I'd be surprised if someone buys it for what they are asking.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338486)
Posted by PaxCybertron82 on January 26th, 2012 @ 12:00pm CST
What the cheese? They would have a way easier time selling them as individuals or twin packs.

I'm trying to wrap my head around why you would insist on selling it at a case, I don't think any collectors are going to want to keep 72 unopened figures in a box just to claim its an circulated case...but maybe I'm wrong. :CON:
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338490)
Posted by DrLegend on January 26th, 2012 @ 12:04pm CST
It's one of those "wishful thinking" scenarios.

The guy probably saw that episode of Pawn Stars with the $20k+ Transformers collection and the dollar signs spinning in his head took control over rational thought.

Someone was willing to pay $500 a figure though so he's still got at least $6k worth of product on his hands. If he wants to get rid of them soon he can but if he's waiting for that one hopeful willing to pay that kind of scratch for 12 mint triple changers then I wouldn't hold his breath.

Now 12 Fortress Maximus for $13k... That's another story.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338492)
Posted by PaxCybertron82 on January 26th, 2012 @ 12:10pm CST
Oh my yes, quite another story. Love your banner by the way..lol, good ol Dev.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338493)
Posted by Midnight_Fox on January 26th, 2012 @ 12:14pm CST
IF I had the scratch, I'd seriously think about it(even at that price, but not before throwing him a couple other offers first).

Then again, I'd actually display it as the whole case like his picture. I'm a tad odd that way.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338515)
Posted by metalformer on January 26th, 2012 @ 12:53pm CST
I wish I could afford stuff like that! That is certainly and amazing find! :CON: :CON:
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338575)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on January 26th, 2012 @ 2:23pm CST
price seems a bit high, over a grand per each come on now. Its never a fan who finds stuff like this its always a business guy,if it was a fan im sure price per unit would be a few hundred not over a thousand.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338587)
Posted by SJ21 on January 26th, 2012 @ 2:30pm CST
I will not be bidding on that one.

I would try to go after one of each, should they decide to split that up.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338597)
Posted by Supreme Convoy on January 26th, 2012 @ 2:42pm CST
What a holy grail find!
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338610)
Posted by Delicon on January 26th, 2012 @ 2:59pm CST
Definitely not the kind of auction for me, even if it was only for one. I'd be freeing him from his prison within seconds.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338613)
Posted by PaxCybertron82 on January 26th, 2012 @ 3:00pm CST
Me too. I generally don't keep anyone locked up in their box. I would only if I happened across a duplicate of one I have, for free, then I'd keep it boxed. But I had Blitzwing as a kid and I would crack him open immediately.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338619)
Posted by RhA on January 26th, 2012 @ 3:06pm CST
Mykltron wrote:Shouldn't someone tell wraith2021? He recently bought a factory sealed Snapdragon for £600, he might be interested.

+1 Internet, -1 karma.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338624)
Posted by NTESHFT on January 26th, 2012 @ 3:09pm CST
Lord Onixprime wrote:Why would they not split this up and sell them individually? Who is going to buy a case of 72 assorted Blitzwing and Astrotrain?

THIS.......

Plus the asking price is WAY too much.
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338625)
Posted by Starscream on January 26th, 2012 @ 3:09pm CST
Old news is super old
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338640)
Posted by Delicon on January 26th, 2012 @ 3:31pm CST
Starscream wrote:Old news is super old

Aren't you dead?
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338642)
Posted by Sodan-1 on January 26th, 2012 @ 3:38pm CST
Why are the lucky ones always such greedy dumbasses?
Re: G1 Astrotrain and Blitzwing dead-stock on e-bay (1338666)
Posted by funeralthirst7 on January 26th, 2012 @ 4:17pm CST
That price is insane. Do people even bother to look at the value of an item or do they just make up a high number and settle on it?

I can only hope that life kicks his ass, forcing him to sell them for way less to someone who would actually appreciate that.

Ending Soon On eBay

Hasbro Transformers ROTF Human Alliance Bumblebee Figure and Sam New with Box - Time Remaining: 6 days 21 hours 32 minutes 40 seconds
New 17.9" x 14.0" x 3.6" Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Victorion Pack - Time Remaining: 8 days 18 hours 50 minutes 48 seconds
Transformers Generations CW Combiner Wars Dragstrip Comp Menasor G1 Stunticons - Time Remaining: 6 days 9 hours 6 minutes 55 seconds
Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron Deluxe Bruticus Combiner - 2012 SDCC - Time Remaining: 1 day 20 hours 53 minutes 41 seconds
Transformers Generations Universe Hound & Ravage Deluxe Class FIGURE COMPLETE - Time Remaining: 1 day 20 hours 24 minutes 28 seconds
Transformers Prime SMOKESCREEN Beast Hunters Deluxe FIGURE COMPLETE - Time Remaining: 15 days 8 hours 41 minutes 37 seconds
Transformers Alternators Scion xb autobot skids new - Time Remaining: 6 days 18 hours 43 minutes 13 seconds
Revoltech Yamaguchi No.25 Transformers Megatron Figure Kaiyodo Used - Time Remaining: 7 days 19 hours 29 minutes 10 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #160 - Grappling with Memory