Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football

Transformers News: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football

Thursday, August 29th, 2013 12:04AM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Mkall   Views: 22,414

Thanks to eBay member lena81822, (in)famous for getting a hold of Transformers figures well before their release date, we have a preview of a repaint of Generations IDW Megatron. This isn't your standard repaint however, for this Megatron is the first ever Transformers figure to apparently come with a football as an accessory, and contains the Nike Swoosh trademark symbol on his "shoes." There's also an as-of-yet unidentified signature on the front right-side of Megatron's jet mode

Very little is known about where or how this figure will be released, but given its obvious football stylings, is it related to Calvin Johnson, the Detroit Lions wide receiver who has been given the nickname Megatron? Time will tell.

I the meantime, check out the auction and all its images here.

Re: "Calvin Johnson" IDW Megatron with football? Forthcoming Exclusive?

Re: "Calvin Johnson" IDW Megatron with football? Forthcoming Exclusive?

Re: "Calvin Johnson" IDW Megatron with football? Forthcoming Exclusive?

Re: "Calvin Johnson" IDW Megatron with football? Forthcoming Exclusive?

Thanks to Seibertron.com user jamesbenjamin for bringing this to our attention!
Credit(s): lena81822, member jamesbenjamin
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514585)
Posted by Venoose1 on August 29th, 2013 @ 12:13am CDT
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514586)
Posted by mooncake623 on August 29th, 2013 @ 12:31am CDT
Ahahha Must get !! love Calvin Johnson.. Too bad his ADP is too high for me to draft in any of my Fantasy leagues. =/
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514587)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on August 29th, 2013 @ 12:34am CDT
It wouldn't surprise me if this ended up being a souvenir offered only at the Lions' stadium or its online store. I honestly can't imagine a retail chain carrying an exclusive this esoteric.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514588)
Posted by Mkall on August 29th, 2013 @ 12:35am CDT
Venoose1 wrote:I did a google on Calvin Johnson's signature and sure enough it looks the same as the one on Megatron's chest.

It does bear a certain similarity doesn't it?
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514590)
Posted by kaseycuyler on August 29th, 2013 @ 1:15am CDT

in a different story...Nike and Calvin Johnson are teaming together to make the "CJ81 COLLECTION INSPIRED BY MEGATRON" which if you look at some of the pictures, especially the shoes, it has the grid pattern on it like the toy.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514592)
Posted by mooncake623 on August 29th, 2013 @ 1:31am CDT
kaseycuyler wrote:being from Michigan and a Lions fan myself...if this is a "Megatron" Megatron...why the hell is it purple and not blue/white/silver??? I can't see it making ANY sense to be Purple like that if it's Lions related or will be sold at games.

Agreed should be mostly silver with blue highlights and maybe Calvin Johnson's head as a head sculpt I would paint the face silver though to keep it can't stand human color faces on TF toys! I'm looking at you Botcon 2012 Metalhawk
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514593)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on August 29th, 2013 @ 1:44am CDT
Hah, awesome. I kinda want that, especially the little football there, that's awesome.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514594)
Posted by Dead Metal on August 29th, 2013 @ 2:12am CDT

I guess the toy is based on the shoes, it has a similar purple to them and, well if you look at the feet, they have the Nike symbol.

This looks kinda cool, sure it means nothing to me, but I like the colour and the football is kinda awesome.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514599)
Posted by Ravage XK on August 29th, 2013 @ 3:01am CDT
I like it, I like the grid pattern though perhaps it should fade out towards the edges.

Funny shape football though :)
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514602)
Posted by TimothyR on August 29th, 2013 @ 4:32am CDT
it's a shame it's not lions colors.. but then again.. who knows how long he'd play for them.

also.. it'd be more neat had he been painted with more of a football uniform motif.. either way, i think it's pretty cool.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514606)
Posted by Brakethrough on August 29th, 2013 @ 5:52am CDT
Let's make this a trend. Next, a Clay Matthews Brawn.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514610)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 29th, 2013 @ 6:18am CDT
:shock: Why does that purple and gray deco look so familiar?! :-?
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514618)
Posted by Dead Metal on August 29th, 2013 @ 6:59am CDT
Sabrblade wrote::shock: Why does that deco look so familiar?! :-?

Galvatron, and with the translucent wings/ weapon with the grid it kinda even gives the illusion of the awesome Galvatron creation scene from the Movie.

I think I kinda like this version of the mold, the colours pop, it's weird and it wears Nike shoes. :lol:
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514619)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 29th, 2013 @ 7:03am CDT
Dead Metal wrote:
Sabrblade wrote::shock: Why does that purple and gray deco look so familiar?! :-?

Which Galvatron?

I've amended my post to be more specific. This purple and gray deco honestly reminds me of the deco of an existing figure.

Someone on another site suggested Cybertron Skywarp, which I do see a resemblance in, but there might be something else I'm trying to remember.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514621)
Posted by Dead Metal on August 29th, 2013 @ 7:36am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:

Which Galvatron?

G1 cartoon Galvatron, otherwise I wouldn't have brought up his creation from the movie.

It's also somewhat similar to the cartoon accurate Universe and RTS repaints of Universe G1 Cyclonus.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514627)
Posted by GuyIncognito on August 29th, 2013 @ 8:11am CDT
Maybe they went with purple instead of Lions colors because this is a "NIKE Calvin Johnson Megatron", not a "Detroit Lions Calvin Johnson Megatron". Maybe Nike made a deal with Hasbro and the Lions organization wasn't involved, so maybe they can't use the Lions colors for legal or financial reasons.

Whatever the reason, I kind of want it.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514630)
Posted by ScottyP on August 29th, 2013 @ 8:21am CDT
This is exactly the kind of kooky weird stuff that I find excellent. Will buy.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514635)
Posted by Mindmaster on August 29th, 2013 @ 8:50am CDT
I'm no fan of football (or sports in general), but if this is available in general retail, then I'd probably pick this up over the regular release.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514637)
Posted by Mindmaster on August 29th, 2013 @ 8:56am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:

Which Galvatron?

Timelines Machine Wars Skywarp? The effect on Megatron's wings vaguely remind me of the warping effect on Skywarp's wings.
Re: Generations Megatron Repaint is Ready to Play Football (1514646)
Posted by Noideaforaname on August 29th, 2013 @ 9:54am CDT
Neat! My brother is a huge sports nut and "Megatron" has become a sort of inside joke between us (look at what he got me last Christmas, haha!), so I'm sure he'd get a kick out of it.

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #142 - Botcon 2016 Part 3: The Last One
"Botcon 2016 Part 3: The Last One"
Posted: Sunday, April 17th, 2016