HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here!

Transformers News: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here!

Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 5:01AM CST

Categories: Site News, Site Articles, Game News, Press Releases, Media, Heavy Metal War
Posted by: Psychout   Views: 49,313

We've known that this has been coming for years.

Since the Heavy Metal Warriors first faced off against each other back in 2003 we have seen HMW grow and develop into the wargame we all know and love to hate, but we also knew its time was running out and a new world would one day take its place.

Then, a month ago, this was released: The first teaser for HMW2.
The first peek into a whole new world and whet the appetite for what was to come.

Now, thanks to Omega Sentinel, we can get our next insight in to how some aspects of the future of Heavy Metal War will change.
Concentrating on the new dual-wield weapon systems and introducing the concept of 'Spark Points' to your transformations, the programmer who has taken Heavy Metal War and made it just that little bit more Heavy presents...

Alts and Ammo! The second trailer for Heavy Metal War II
Sorry the quality is kind of bad. Best I could do with a short amount of time.

There ya go folks, the words of a genius.

Got an opinion or questions about the video?
Wanna find out more about HMW2?
Never even heard of HMW!?!

Then join us in the organised chaos that is the Heavy Metal War discussion boards for more information, discussion, insights and arguments about the future of HMW, and more.

Visit for the game, stay for the Bounty Hunting...
Credit(s): Omega Sentinel

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (881845)
Posted by Hoistimus on February 10th, 2009 @ 6:49am CST
I assume this will mean a reset (for everyone) once HMW2 is started?

Not that I mind, wouldn't be the first time I lost a top 10 position, I'll gain it back :)

Anyway, my original meaning to post was to ask the question: Any estimate on when we might actually get to see HMW2 implemented?

And if Burn and friends need any bots to help beta test HMW2, I'm always available..
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (881877)
Posted by Omega Sentinel on February 10th, 2009 @ 8:03am CST
Hoistimus wrote:
The goal is May

Kickyourassacons wrote:Sounds pretty cool and I am very excited for the opening day. These new features wont take more time will they? I like this game because I can play while I am at work but I wouldn't have time for the game if HMW2 requires much more of it. I like how I can just throw guys in missions and forget about it.
If you want to dump players into missions and go to work you can continue to do so. The goal with the game is to offer depth while allowing the simpler game to be played for those that choose it. So far that seems to be coming together nicely.
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (881898)
Posted by Editor on February 10th, 2009 @ 9:05am CST
So those of us that play at work can continue to dump and run, Excelent planning, OS.

Thank you for thinking of these aspects, that shows again how much thought you've put into this. Kudos.
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (881904)
Posted by Dragonslayer on February 10th, 2009 @ 9:23am CST
I must say, this look pretty damn cool. I'm a little confused about how stuff works, but I'm always confused about stuff, especially when it comes to starting new games like this :P

But it looks as if I can figure stuff out quickly on the fly (experimentation/trial and error). I'm eager to see the new weapons system myself, and the altmode system looks interesting to me too.

Awesome work, OS! Can't wait for this to come out! 8)
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (881905)
Posted by Me, Grimlock! on February 10th, 2009 @ 9:27am CST
When will this be released for the Xbox 360?

Huh? What? What? Stop laughing at me.
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (881925)
Posted by devast8or on February 10th, 2009 @ 10:05am CST
UltraPrimal wrote:My only question is when? I haven't played HMW in ages, but this is the sort of thing that could get me back into it.

Good grief! UP, you've got a lot of questions to answer in your "what advice would UP give" thread... :lol:

good to c ur still around these parts
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (881980)
Posted by Scantron on February 10th, 2009 @ 11:38am CST
Looking great so far. With all the times V2 has been 'just around the corner', I was fairly cynical about this attempt going anywhere...but this trailer's convinced me that this is for real and the new game is going to be very impressive. May is a long way off, but I can't wait to give V2 a shot.
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (881986)
Posted by Booda on February 10th, 2009 @ 11:56am CST
Psychout wrote:So, opinions please people...

Are you sure...?

The whole thing gives me an overall "meh" feeling. It's like the original game, but with more numbers. I don't necessarily construe that as an improvement.

There's something about alt modes and spark points that just seem totally counter-intuitive to me. First, that transforming from a robot warrior into a slowly accelerating, difficult-to-maneuver Earth vehicle (aka a semi-truck) has any advantage at all doesn't make sense. This is a limitation on the gameplay itself I think, as it reserves itself almost entirely to combat, so aspects of alt modes that would be beneficial outside of combat are either not going to make sense or are going to be omitted.

Second, there's never been any inherent cost to a transformation other than the time to do it and perhaps some exertion comparable maybe to walking up a short flight of stairs. In the lore, transforming was actually a method of conserving energy; not expending it.

It sounds like Spark Points are going to be used like "Mana Points," or "Magic Points," or "Action Points," or whatever tub-o-resource the game uses. Can't say I'm excited about this. I was disappointed in HMW1 that alt modes did nothing aside from random special attacks. Spark Points say to me that alt modes are just going to be represented by "So-and-so transforms into a whats-it and does a special attack!" Except now there's an MP cost.

I always wanted to see my transformers transform and... well, stay that way. If you have a strategic advantage as a fighter jet strafing the battlefield (no, not that strafing), why would you bother with robot mode? I feel like there's a lot of design space missing.
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (881990)
Posted by neliz on February 10th, 2009 @ 12:05pm CST
did you just kill the entire transformers franchise GI JOe?
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882017)
Posted by Kickyourassacons on February 10th, 2009 @ 1:03pm CST
Thanks for the reply OS. I am glad to hear that I can still work and play HMW2 at the same time. I would hate to have my job conflict with the game :P
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882031)
Posted by Symbiote Spiderman14 on February 10th, 2009 @ 1:24pm CST
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882042)
Posted by Mogwai Prime on February 10th, 2009 @ 1:40pm CST
Omega Sentinel wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xbrKnASHAk

Sorry the quality is kind of bad. Best I could do with a short amount of time.

I can attest to the CPU scramble! I just kicked my own @$$!!! Psychout I owe you one :P
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882045)
Posted by Chaoslock on February 10th, 2009 @ 1:47pm CST
So, there will be a tactic that makes Kremzeek out of an enemy? I want a permanent stasus of those on one of my cons! :twisted:
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882049)
Posted by Omega Sentinel on February 10th, 2009 @ 1:53pm CST
Symbiote Spiderman14 wrote:The only thing that might concern me is if the allspark limits us on how much we can play to much like ap points in other games. I don't play this version much anymore but I am looking forward to getting back to my long nights at work at playing the new version.

Spark points do not inhibit play. You can ironbot in the new game, you will just have to do it without your alt modes if you decide not to let your spark rest.
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882057)
Posted by devast8or on February 10th, 2009 @ 2:03pm CST
Omega Sentinel wrote:

...and iron-botting is working just fine in the new universe :grin:
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882058)
Posted by Judge Chuckachu on February 10th, 2009 @ 2:07pm CST
OS -> :APPLAUSE: Seriously. :APPLAUSE:

And now with the bottom kissing over...I assume the beast factions will be working the same just cosmetically different?
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882088)
Posted by Kickyourassacons on February 10th, 2009 @ 3:13pm CST
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882096)
Posted by Omega Sentinel on February 10th, 2009 @ 3:31pm CST
Kickyourassacons wrote:Will there be an area where you could check your indepth stats on your individual characters? Similar to what the "XP Games" are but have it done automatically. I really like to see how my guys are doing but it happens once a week and the VERY generous Fearless Echoes pulls the work. I feel guilty asking for the breakdowns. It would be cool if the game did all this work instead of a single individual. Maybe even count the hours the person is playing. To see if your team is performing really well or are you crunching in the time to make up for the poor performance.

Yes. May not be exactly what you are envisioning but the game will track many things that will be accessible in your "stats" tab.
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882110)
Posted by neliz on February 10th, 2009 @ 3:50pm CST
Kickyourassacons wrote:To see if your team is performing really well or are you crunching in the time to make up for the poor performance.

Hey, don't get personal!
Re: HMW: The first trailer for HMW2 is here! (882114)
Posted by Redimus GTS on February 10th, 2009 @ 4:00pm CST
Omega Sentinel wrote:May not be exactly what you are envisioning but the game will track many things that will be accessible in your "stats" tab.

This is good news, it means there might still be a place for my services! (I do it becuase I enjoy it, and whilst I would fully understand if my service was rendered suplus to requirments, I would miss having something like that to do.)

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers ROTF HFTD JETBLADE Deluxe Figure Autobot Harrier - Time Remaining: 5 days 16 hours 28 minutes 17 seconds
Transformers: Power Core Combiners Series 2 Windburn with Darkray Action Figure - Time Remaining: 5 days 15 hours 28 minutes 44 seconds
1984 TRANSFORMERS G1 ORIGINAL  "MEGATRON" DECEPTICON (NOT REISSUE) *COMPLETE* - Time Remaining: 4 days 6 hours 28 minutes 47 seconds
TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS/UNIVERSE CLASSICS DELUXE CLASS TANKOR TRIPLE CHANGER - Time Remaining: 4 days 3 hours 20 minutes 48 seconds
Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Leader Class Armada Megatron Classics New - Time Remaining: 5 days 7 hours 23 minutes 12 seconds
Transformers Energon Hyper OMEGA SUPREME Super Link Kabaya - Time Remaining: 5 days 8 hours 25 minutes 53 seconds
Transformers GRIMLOCK 1984/2014 Evolution 2-Pack Toys R Us Exclusive New Sealed - Time Remaining: 4 days 22 hours 56 minutes 45 seconds
Takara Transformers Masterpiece MP-25 Tracks Chevrolet Corvette in USA NOW! - Time Remaining: 4 days 11 hours 57 minutes 11 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #151 - SDCC 2016