Transformers News: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning.

Tuesday, October 16th, 2012 6:19PM CDT

Categories: Movie News, Rumors, Media
Posted by: Autobot032   Views: 73,177

Hugo Weaving is a prolific actor. His roles have run the gamut from sci-fi to drama and everything in between. Whether it was little seen or box office blockbuster, the man has done 'em all.

Multimedia site Collider.com has posted a rather lengthy and in depth interview article with Mr. Weaving, concerning his past, present and future film works. Of importance to us, he speaks about his time as Megatron and unfortunately how unimportant it was to him, as an actor. You can read the full article here. If you want just the tidbit that pertains to us, we've quoted it, in full, here:

As the voice of Megatron, has Michael Bay called about the next Transformers movie yet?

WEAVING: No. That’s a weird job for me because it honestly was a two-hour voice job, initially. I was doing a play and I actually didn’t have time, anyway. It was one of the only things I’ve ever done where I had no knowledge of it, I didn’t care about it, I didn’t think about it. They wanted me to do it. In one way, I regret that bit. I don’t regret doing it, but I very rarely do something if it’s meaningless. It was meaningless to me, honestly. I don’t mean that in any nasty way. I did it. It was a two-hour voice job, while I was doing other things. Of course, it’s a massive film that’s made masses of money. I just happened to be the voice of one of the iconic villainous characters. But, my link to that and to Michael Bay is so minimal. I have never met him. I was never on set. I’ve seen his face on Skype. I know nothing about him, really. I just went in and did it. I never read the script. I just have my lines, and I don’t know what they mean. That sounds absolutely pathetic! I’ve never done anything like that, in my life. It’s hard to say any more about it than that, really.

Feel free to join the discussion by posting your comments. Keep your optics tuned to Seibertron.com for the latest news and updates!
Credit(s): Collider
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431103)
Posted by craggy on October 16th, 2012 @ 6:23pm CDT
"Mister Optimus. I find myself becoming...bored with terrible sequels."

Says he doesn't want to be Red Skull in any future Captain America films either.

Honestly, not bothered. He wasn't terrible, but with Frank Welker kicking ass as Megatron in Prime, I'd not be surprised if he finally came back to voice the character on the big screen as well.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431111)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on October 16th, 2012 @ 6:33pm CDT
This would be a great time to bring in Frank Welker, should have been him in the first place anyhow.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431112)
Posted by ausbot on October 16th, 2012 @ 6:35pm CDT
Bring on David Kaye as Megatron, Yesss!
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431115)
Posted by griftimus prime on October 16th, 2012 @ 6:43pm CDT
i could care less. i care more about him returning as red skull in captain america movies. but he said he would not do that either.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431117)
Posted by PrymeStriker on October 16th, 2012 @ 6:52pm CDT
I...uh...don't care. :-|
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431120)
Posted by Lord Onixprime on October 16th, 2012 @ 6:57pm CDT
Eh, don't care. I liked Hugo's Megatron, but I don't care if he is not coming back. Honestly, if he was (meaning Megatron was returning) I'd be disappointed. Despite the lackluster final fight in DotM, bringing him back from death again would just make me roll my eyes. Megatron needs to stay dead. Maybe bring in Galvatron as a completely new character.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431122)
Posted by BATTOUSAIXD on October 16th, 2012 @ 7:00pm CDT
Too bad he doesn't care about the role at all, he has a really cool voice. I didn't think he was returning anyway because Megatron seems permanently dead at this point. But I'm all for Meg's being resurrected again, and I agree that Frank Welker should return as his voice, he's doing a great job on Prime :CON:
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431135)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on October 16th, 2012 @ 7:26pm CDT
Understandable, considering how small of a role Megatron played in the first movie. And given that he was told next to nothing about his role, Weaving did an immensely good job with his lines.

Either way, this pretty much means Megs isn't returning in TF4, which is probably for the better. Given the "bitch" roles he played in ROTF and DOTM, I can't stand to see him like that any more.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431136)
Posted by Archanubis on October 16th, 2012 @ 7:26pm CDT
craggy wrote:"Mister Optimus. I find myself becoming...bored with terrible sequels."

Well, he did say *terrible* sequels. ;) Though given how big the Captain America film was, that may be premature.

To be honest, I'm not surprised he wasn't all that thrilled with the role of Megatron. Especially how minimal a role the leader of the Decepticons had in all three films.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431142)
Posted by Shockwave7 on October 16th, 2012 @ 7:46pm CDT
I'm not surprised by this in the slightest. Given how little impact Megatron really had in ANY of the movies.

Movie 1) Didn't show up until the very end. Venom had more screen time in Spiderman 3. Crappy design. Even crappier toy. Fold him in half and jam his head into his crotch. He's a jet. Whee.

Movie 2) Second fiddle to 'The Fallen'. Final 'battle' was barely a minute. Toy still crappy. Could have made him actually look cool and 'alien tank' like. Instead they stuck with 'the gay vampire' from movie 1.

Movie 3) Oh boy - now he's a truck. Turned up a the end to battle Prime - for 20 seconds. Didn't even get a leader class figure.

I'm a fan of Megatron from G1 days, and even I couldn't bring myself to be enthused about him as a villain after Bay got his filthy claws into the writing and design process.

TFA Megatron spanked movie Megatron in every conceivable way.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431149)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on October 16th, 2012 @ 8:07pm CDT
Doesnt surprise me in the least, Im still surprised that he even took the job in the first place. He didnt do a bad job but thats not really saying much since this Megatron is one of the wost ever made & he had very little screen time. And when he was on screen he was either bitching or getting his ass kicked. I dont even think Welker or Kaye couldve helped this version of Megatron. But what i want to know is was it bays fault or weavings fault that he did nothing but a 2 hour booth session? Did bay just send him the lines & said "read this" or did Weaving just not care and only wanted to get it out of the way to do other things. Either way that seems like a really shitty way to do something. Just more proof that these movies are a joke and need to be snuffed out of existence.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431151)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on October 16th, 2012 @ 8:12pm CDT
Megatron Wolf wrote:Doesnt surprise me in the least, Im still surprised that he even took the job in the first place. He didnt do a bad job but thats not really saying much since this Megatron is one of the wost ever made & he had very little screen time. And when he was on screen he was either bitching or getting his ass kicked. I dont even think Welker or Kaye couldve helped this version of Megatron. Either way that seems like a really shitty way to do something. Just more proof that these movies are a joke and need to be snuffed out of existence.

Nothing but truth from Megatron Wolf.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431152)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 16th, 2012 @ 8:14pm CDT

There are other villains they could use for this movie that they haven't used already. Thunderwing, Bludgeon, a non-Megs Galvatron, Overlord, Deathsaurus, Straxus, Jhiaxus, even the DJD could pull it off.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431155)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on October 16th, 2012 @ 8:17pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Personally, I don't want them to bring back Megatron for TF4. They've already killed him once, revived him once, and then killed him again. Reviving him again would be too much like the Unicron Trilogy Syndrome minus the Galvatron upgrade.

I wouldn't want Bay to touch the DJD. Thats something WAY too cool to get infected by his half-assed treatment. Actually all of it is... but the DJD, thats a sinister pack of blood thirsty EVIL cons... Bay would probably end up having humans kill them with slingshots.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431158)
Posted by Sentinel Maximus on October 16th, 2012 @ 8:22pm CDT
This speaks volumes in how much care was put into the live action TF movies. Hugo is a great actor and I love his stuff, however Frank would have put alot more 'heart' into the role.

The movies are a mess anyway. I don't blame him for not wanting to come back.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431165)
Posted by Noideaforaname on October 16th, 2012 @ 8:42pm CDT
This is, what, 3 voice actors that have expressed how un-interested in their own roles: Eric Idle, Orson Welles, and now Hugo Weaving. I think they all did a fantastic job even if they really didn't care about it.
Can't help but wonder how much better they'd be if they DID care, though...
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431179)
Posted by kirbenvost on October 16th, 2012 @ 9:15pm CDT
Bring on Frank Welker! Or just don't bring Megatron back. AGAIN.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431184)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on October 16th, 2012 @ 9:23pm CDT
Yeah, the way Megatron was treated in Bayverse, this isn't surprising, as a matter of fact it's fitting. If he had put any serious effort into it, it would have been a waste of his time and talent. I don't blame Weaving for phoning it in, whether it was his choice or not.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431188)
Posted by Jaw Crusher on October 16th, 2012 @ 9:30pm CDT
Not broken-hearted over this, as I don't care for the way Megatron was portrayed in the Bay movies anyway.

I'm more disappointed that Weaving doesn't want to be the Red Skull again, as I was hoping for a real "Wrath of Khan"-type return for him. Oh well.
Re: Hugo Weaving Discusses His Role As Megatron In The Movies. May Not Be Returning. (1431203)
Posted by Flux Convoy on October 16th, 2012 @ 10:45pm CDT
I could barely understand a quarter of what he said in the movies anyway. I really couldn't care less who plays such a modulated voice. I'd be cool with it if they let the character stay dead entirely.
:BOT:

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Beast Wars AIRAZOR New MOSC Sealed - Time Remaining: 8 days 10 hours 33 minutes 32 seconds
Transformers Alternity A-02 Nissan Fairlady Z Megatron Blade Silver - Time Remaining: 2 days 7 hours 21 minutes 17 seconds
Transformers Cybertron Metroplex Toy Action Figure Circa 2005 - Time Remaining: 1 day 15 hours 36 minutes 34 seconds
SPECIAL G1 Transformers POWERMASTER OPTIMUS PRIME CAB & TRAILER (only) - Time Remaining: 9 days 8 hours 17 minutes 52 seconds
TRANSFORMERS PRIME MEGATRON Robots In Disguise Voyager - Time Remaining: 2 days 2 hours 8 minutes 51 seconds
SDCC 2011 Exclusive Transformers Matrix of Leadership Optimus Prime - Time Remaining: 2 days 5 hours 54 minutes 45 seconds
Transformers Beast Wars LAZORBEAK New MOSC Sealed - Time Remaining: 8 days 10 hours 25 minutes 4 seconds
TRANSFORMERS PRIME OPTIMUS PRIME Robots In Disguise Voyager - Time Remaining: 2 days 1 hour 55 minutes 36 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #148 - And Rom The Space Knight
"And Rom The Space Knight"
Posted: Monday, June 27th, 2016