Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots

Transformers News: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots

Wednesday, December 25th, 2013 11:21AM CST

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 23,793

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The people at IDW Publishing seem to be busy even in holiday season, as new Transformers comics information appears in their 2014 preview/sneak peek issue! With the release of the next Michael Bay film, IDW will be releasing the Age of Extinction comics adaptation, due in June. In even bigger news? After the end of Dark Cybertron, fan-created character Windblade will be showing up, as promised, in something called Dawn of the Autobots, with Mairghread Scott and Sarah Stone at the helm - will this be a spotlight, the beginning of a new series, mini or full? We'll have to wait for the April solicits to find out, but take a look below at the page from the magazine!

UPDATE: Thanks to the power of Twitter, we have confirmation that Mairghread Scott will be writing at least this one issue, with newcomer Sarah Stone on art duties!

Who is Windblade? In the aftermath of Dark Cybertron, Windblade takes the planet by storm — and Starscream’s not happy about her being there! But where did she come from — and whatdoes her secret mean to the future of the Transformers? A powerful new chapter in the Transformers saga begins here!


Transformers News: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots
Credit(s): IDW Publishing
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537593)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 25th, 2013 @ 11:44am CST
What? :???: But we were told before that this movie would have no comic adaptation so as to keep the movie's story under wraps and not be spoiled by any comics (as was the case with DOTM).

We were told this here - http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/no-comic-adaptation-for-transformers-4/26407/
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537597)
Posted by Mkall on December 25th, 2013 @ 12:12pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:What? :???: But we were told before that this movie would have no comic adaptation so as to keep the movie's story under wraps and not be spoiled by any comics (as was the case with DOTM).

We were told this here - http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/no-comic-adaptation-for-transformers-4/26407/

A lot can change in a year.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537599)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on December 25th, 2013 @ 12:23pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:What? :???: But we were told before that this movie would have no comic adaptation so as to keep the movie's story under wraps and not be spoiled by any comics (as was the case with DOTM).

We were told this here - http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/no-comic-adaptation-for-transformers-4/26407/

Aren't we always told a lot of things about the movies that end up not being true?

As for Wingblade's secret; i'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that she's female. (!). But really, Jhiaxus' crazy experiments must be going crazy after Dark Cybertron. Heck, maybe it's Arcee in an upgraded body?
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537600)
Posted by Neurie on December 25th, 2013 @ 12:24pm CST
This isn't a movie tie in, Windblade is the fan made character thats being released as part of the generations line.

It has nothing to do with the movie. The title is misleading, it mentions a comic adaptation of the movie then the next saga after Dark Cybertron for the on going comics: Dawn Of The Autobots.

Windblade is part of the on going continuity, not movie.

Relax people, its just a badly worded article.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537603)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on December 25th, 2013 @ 12:29pm CST
Read the post again - it talks briefly about the movie tie-in, but focuses on Windblade
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537605)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 25th, 2013 @ 12:33pm CST
Neurie wrote:This isn't a movie tie in, Windblade is the fan made character thats being released as part of the generations line.

It has nothing to do with the movie. The title is more than misleading, its plan wrong.
http://idwpublishing.com/pdf/IDW_2014SneakPeek.pdf
COMING SOON!

COMIC BOOK MOVIES
COMING IN 2014


2014 IS SET FOR SOME BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE RELEASES THAT FEATURE
IDW TITLES SUCH AS MR. PEABODY AND SHERMAN (MAY),
GODZILLA (MAY), TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION (JUNE),
AND TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (AUG).
CATCH THESE EXCITING TITLES BOTH IN THEATERS AND AT
YOUR LOCAL COMIC BOOK SHOP!
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537607)
Posted by Va'al on December 25th, 2013 @ 12:36pm CST
Are the commas that misleading? There are three pieces of news in the article: Age of Extinction, Windblade and Dawn of the Autobots. Was that not clear?
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537610)
Posted by Neurie on December 25th, 2013 @ 12:47pm CST
Va'al wrote:Are the commas that misleading? There are three pieces of news in the article: Age of Extinction, Windblade and Dawn of the Autobots. Was that not clear?



Nah, not really. More a case of people skim reading rather than actual reading. >:oP
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537611)
Posted by Va'al on December 25th, 2013 @ 12:50pm CST
I'll put semicolons if you want. :P
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537614)
Posted by T-Macksimus on December 25th, 2013 @ 1:35pm CST
Neurie wrote:
Va'al wrote:Are the commas that misleading? There are three pieces of news in the article: Age of Extinction, Windblade and Dawn of the Autobots. Was that not clear?



Nah, not really. More a case of people skim reading rather than actual reading. >:oP


You did just fine Va'al, and Neurie is' right it is the issue with folks skim-reading instead of paying attention the first time. I had absolutely no troubles with the article and there was certainly no misunderstanding and I only read it once.

Now then, as for Windblade... this is a subject I would LOVE to see speculation on as opposed to the movie which I could care less about.
If it wasn't for the fact that they threw in that whole "Dawn of the Autobots" thing I would almost be tempted to throw out some crazy speculations about the "banished" Drift coming back in a new form but 1) that is not a Great Sword that Windblade is holding and 2) I'd have so many people climbing up my exhaust pipe with scorn claims about the ridiculousness of such a theory that it would drive me crazier than I already am.
I'm guessing that she may well be one of Arcee's "sisters" in terms of experiments or possibly even a predecessor that had been abandoned/discarded and believed to be non-functional by Jhiaxus. Wouldn't surprise me if Alpha Trion had discovered her and hidden her away or if she had vanished ages ago with the Knights and somehow avoided Tyrest's notice and was not caught up with Dai Atlas and his group when everything went to hell with the Lost Light's crew discovering them.
So many possibilities and I'm willing to bet that none of our guesses are anywhere close to the "reality" that they present us with. Whatever it is, I'm just glad to see another female bot not only thrown into the mix but headlining it all. This should prove to be wicked fun. :D
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537631)
Posted by Mindmaster on December 25th, 2013 @ 3:33pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:What? :???: But we were told before that this movie would have no comic adaptation so as to keep the movie's story under wraps and not be spoiled by any comics (as was the case with DOTM).


Image

As for Windblade's "secret", my theory; she's a Knight of Cybertron. Calling it right now.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537632)
Posted by Sodan-1 on December 25th, 2013 @ 3:44pm CST
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would sporting an Autobot symbol suggest Windblade is not a member of the Knights of Cybertron? I suppose she could've converted though.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537633)
Posted by Va'al on December 25th, 2013 @ 3:48pm CST
This is Sarah's work, apparently. Very excited to see what happens! :D

Image

http://monsterboysandrobots.com/post/41 ... -long-time
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537634)
Posted by Mindmaster on December 25th, 2013 @ 3:49pm CST
Sodan-1 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but would sporting an Autobot symbol suggest Windblade is not a member of the Knights of Cybertron? I suppose she could've converted though.


What do I know? I haven't read any of the comics outside of some of the ones that came with several of the Generations Deluxes. I'd like to get into them, though.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537635)
Posted by griftimus prime on December 25th, 2013 @ 3:49pm CST
lame
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537690)
Posted by RhA on December 26th, 2013 @ 3:24am CST
I am about as excited about Windblade as I was about Drift.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537695)
Posted by njb902 on December 26th, 2013 @ 6:29am CST
RhA wrote:I am about as excited about Windblade as I was about Drift.


So it's like when you spend some alone time with a video/photo of your avatar's?
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537696)
Posted by RhA on December 26th, 2013 @ 7:00am CST
njb902 wrote:
RhA wrote:I am about as excited about Windblade as I was about Drift.


So it's like when you spend some alone time with a video/photo of your avatar's?


The opposite, sadly. Nothing that would inspire the use of napkins afterwards.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537699)
Posted by That_Guy on December 26th, 2013 @ 7:41am CST
I'm wondering if they're going back to Earth at some point. As under Windblade, I see a split planet. One side looks like that of Earth, the other Cybertron. Unless something happens to Cybertron where part of it ends up looking like that.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537702)
Posted by Sodan-1 on December 26th, 2013 @ 8:27am CST
Mindmaster wrote:
Sodan-1 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but would sporting an Autobot symbol suggest Windblade is not a member of the Knights of Cybertron? I suppose she could've converted though.


What do I know? I haven't read any of the comics outside of some of the ones that came with several of the Generations Deluxes.

Hell, you've read more of the recent comics than I have. The last full arc I finished was All Hail Megatron. I'm just throwing $h!t at the wall and seeing what sticks.:lol:

Just for the record my comment wasn't in response to yours. You must've posted while I was typing.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537819)
Posted by synapse on December 27th, 2013 @ 2:23am CST
RhA wrote:I am about as excited about Windblade as I was about Drift.


You know, while I ABSOLUTELY understand while you're coming from and I share your concerns... I'm like a thousand times more confident in Mairghread Scott's writing talent than I ever was (still am) on McCarthy's. A Windblade comic can't be nearly as bad as AHM's generic bad-asses and macho attitudes.







Once again, sorry for my english.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537858)
Posted by ThunderThruster on December 27th, 2013 @ 9:03am CST
Looking forward to what they do with Windblade, hopefully they'll correct the travesty that was severed us with Arcee.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537873)
Posted by Flashwave on December 27th, 2013 @ 11:10am CST
synapse wrote:
RhA wrote:I am about as excited about Windblade as I was about Drift.


You know, while I ABSOLUTELY understand while you're coming from and I share your concerns... I'm like a thousand times more confident in Mairghread Scott's writing talent than I ever was (still am) on McCarthy's. A Windblade comic can't be nearly as bad as AHM's generic bad-asses and macho attitudes.







Once again, sorry for my english.


Oh, yes it can. English phrase is "Never say never, someone out there will take that as a challenge..."

But I agree. I wasn't sold on Drift's character. I wanted to like the toy though, but he just had too much "car" in the way of posability. Hopefully no matter what story Windblade gets, we get a decent toy.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537904)
Posted by Va'al on December 27th, 2013 @ 3:35pm CST
Some additional details from Scott herself, at her Tumblr.

gorgynoid wrote:Hey congrats on the new comic! I voted for a lady robot like 50 times on that poll. I really hope you're ignoring (or retconning) Jhiaxus "making" ladybots out of guybots. Peace, and have a great Christmas!


Thank you for voting 50 times. Don’t do it during any kind of real election, but thanks for doing it here. ;) I don’t want to spoil anything, but I would like to assure you that Windblade is not female by accident, or by force, or against her will, or just for kicks. That’s not how it works for biological women on Earth and that’s not how it’s gonna work on Cybertron. Anybody has a problem with that, you know where I am.


mryarra wrote:I am SO excited about how the Windblade comic is looking right now, and the creative team. There is a sore lack of ladies in the IDW verse and Windblade herself looks like she could make a really interesting character. Also, just as a heads-up, "biological woman" is considered to be a pretty transphobic term, and so really isn't a good way to refer to people.

Dang it, good point!

Okay, Internet…please, please know that I am doing all in my power to talk about the gender of non-reproductive alien robots in the most respectful terms possible, but it can get really tough. (ex. Is Arcee a transgendered woman even though she was made female against her will?).

The term “genetically female” seems wrong because they don’t reproduce (so don’t pass on genes) so I chose “biologically female” to convey the same sense in a more accurate way (ie most fans would say TFormers are alive, even though that is also debatable in science).

I have since been informed, by people wiser than I, that the technical term for Windblade would be a cisgender woman so I’m going to go with that unless someone knows a better term, or we can agree to invent one. Regardless, know that I am doing all in my power to make this character and her story something all TF fans can enjoy and celebrate together. My goal is always maximum inclusion, so should I stick my digital foot in my mouth again, please let me know so I can correct myself.

Til All Are One,
Mairghread


I like her even more. :D
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537905)
Posted by Va'al on December 27th, 2013 @ 3:39pm CST
She is also writing some really good points about Arcee's creation and her aim for inclusivity in her work. To keep an eye out, I say. Good things might come from this. ;)
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537906)
Posted by Star Prime on December 27th, 2013 @ 3:49pm CST
What a Ugly Autobot that's why the Decepticons hates Autobots. :-?
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537990)
Posted by Va'al on December 28th, 2013 @ 8:16am CST
Mairghread Scott, the writer for the upcoming Windblade comic that will introduce the fan-made character, has taken to her Tumblr to expand on some of the issues relating to Windblade being the only other female character in the IDW universe/continuity (as BH Chromia and Firestar are part of Aligned): she will be a cisgender woman in her own right, not a creation like Furman's Arcee. On this point, she also discusses IDW/Furman's take on Arcee, and the preparation she's undertaking to be as inclusive as possible in the new comic. Read some of the posts below, and head here for more!


gorgynoid wrote:Hey congrats on the new comic! I voted for a lady robot like 50 times on that poll. I really hope you're ignoring (or retconning) Jhiaxus "making" ladybots out of guybots. Peace, and have a great Christmas!


Thank you for voting 50 times. Don’t do it during any kind of real election, but thanks for doing it here. ;) I don’t want to spoil anything, but I would like to assure you that Windblade is not female by accident, or by force, or against her will, or just for kicks. That’s not how it works for biological women on Earth and that’s not how it’s gonna work on Cybertron. Anybody has a problem with that, you know where I am.


mryarra wrote:I am SO excited about how the Windblade comic is looking right now, and the creative team. There is a sore lack of ladies in the IDW verse and Windblade herself looks like she could make a really interesting character. Also, just as a heads-up, "biological woman" is considered to be a pretty transphobic term, and so really isn't a good way to refer to people.

Dang it, good point!

Okay, Internet…please, please know that I am doing all in my power to talk about the gender of non-reproductive alien robots in the most respectful terms possible, but it can get really tough. (ex. Is Arcee a transgendered woman even though she was made female against her will?).

The term “genetically female” seems wrong because they don’t reproduce (so don’t pass on genes) so I chose “biologically female” to convey the same sense in a more accurate way (ie most fans would say TFormers are alive, even though that is also debatable in science).

I have since been informed, by people wiser than I, that the technical term for Windblade would be a cisgender woman so I’m going to go with that unless someone knows a better term, or we can agree to invent one. Regardless, know that I am doing all in my power to make this character and her story something all TF fans can enjoy and celebrate together. My goal is always maximum inclusion, so should I stick my digital foot in my mouth again, please let me know so I can correct myself.

Til All Are One,
Mairghread
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1537998)
Posted by welcometothedarksyde on December 28th, 2013 @ 10:34am CST
Does anybody else hate Windblade already? Her design sucks, and her story sounds way overthought
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538002)
Posted by Neurie on December 28th, 2013 @ 11:07am CST
Am I the only one who has always found that forcing sexuality on to robots has always just been a little tasteless?

I mean, sure it makes them more relatable to a target audience which traditionally was boys and now is a little more cross gender, but essentially these are robots who do not reproduce so there fore would be more asexual like worms, virus' or amoebas?

Robots have no need of sense of sexual identity even with self awareness they just are.

I'll still read the comic, but for me the sexualisation and focusing on gender takes me out of these stories. If I wanted love stories and exploration of deep issues relating to relationships there in I'd go read a Terry Moore book.

Im sure the writer will do a good job, just hope it doesn't alienate the installed fan abse whilst trying to reach out to new ones.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538004)
Posted by dedcat on December 28th, 2013 @ 11:13am CST
Can we just go back to fighting robots, please?
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538007)
Posted by MGrotusque on December 28th, 2013 @ 11:22am CST
I think this Windblade character is pretty silly looking. I also dislike the name. In honesty.....i care very little if at all about this contrived character.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538010)
Posted by dragons on December 28th, 2013 @ 11:31am CST
Not fan of kabuki war paint on her face like to see what she transforms into besides war paint on her face like her
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538015)
Posted by cybercat on December 28th, 2013 @ 11:55am CST
Everything I hear about Windblade just wounds my expectations. But I see a lot of what I'm thinking echoed here, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

I don't like the geisha makeup. First, because geisha.

Second, because, with Drift, we already pillaged Asian culture. There are other awesome Earth cultures we could borrow from--Britain's Boudicca for one, Joan of Arc, and yeah I know those are European, but I'm sure if I can name 2 off the top of my head, others can provide Native American, South American, African, etc, other Warrior Women. Why go back to the same well again when there's so many other fun options?

A seeker geisha with swords, I'll be honest, sounds like the worst kind of SparkleSue. And I say this as someone who writes fanfic. If she does turn out, as someone here suggested, to be a Knight of Cybertron, it's just TOO MUCH SPARKLE.

CC, can't handle the sparkle.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538016)
Posted by Va'al on December 28th, 2013 @ 11:59am CST
Neurie wrote:Am I the only one who has always found that forcing sexuality on to robots has always just been a little tasteless?

I mean, sure it makes them more relatable to a target audience which traditionally was boys and now is a little more cross gender, but essentially these are robots who do not reproduce so there fore would be more asexual like worms, virus' or amoebas?

Robots have no need of sense of sexual identity even with self awareness they just are.

I'll still read the comic, but for me the sexualisation and focusing on gender takes me out of these stories. If I wanted love stories and exploration of deep issues relating to relationships there in I'd go read a Terry Moore book.

Im sure the writer will do a good job, just hope it doesn't alienate the installed fan abse whilst trying to reach out to new ones.


Sexuality and gender are not the same thing. And I feel this is a little late to the party, with Furman reintroducing Arcee to the IDW verse in the way he did. The issue has been there, but everyone has conveniently ignored it, it seems to me.

Also, Scott did point out and acknowledge that these are non-reproducing individuals, and she does talk about the asexuality perspective of the whole issue here.

Including and reaching out to a wider audience, on the other hand, cannot harm the franchise or the comics! :D

Oh, she also pointed out that this is all a discussion about the character that informs, rather than shows up in, the comics:

@seibertroncom ;) Not planning to draw a chart about it in-story, but I'm trying to try to get it right when I speak to fans.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538018)
Posted by Va'al on December 28th, 2013 @ 12:02pm CST
cybercat wrote:Everything I hear about Windblade just wounds my expectations. But I see a lot of what I'm thinking echoed here, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

I don't like the geisha makeup. First, because geisha.

Second, because, with Drift, we already pillaged Asian culture. There are other awesome Earth cultures we could borrow from--Britain's Boudicca for one, Joan of Arc, and yeah I know those are European, but I'm sure if I can name 2 off the top of my head, others can provide Native American, South American, African, etc, other Warrior Women. Why go back to the same well again when there's so many other fun options?


The design is a bit of an issue, and I'm not entirely sure who came up with it. But I think a lot of positive things can be done even with a character that offer some problematic issues of representation, no?
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538022)
Posted by craggy on December 28th, 2013 @ 12:18pm CST
I'm still disappointed that the writers haven't taken the opportunity to throw out our binary gender idea completely. These are alien robots, and gender and race could be defined in quite different ways for these beings. I imagine that things like alt modes, any special abilities, whether a bot retains the same colouring all the time or alters it over the years and through reformattings, compatability with mini-cons or the various 'Master types, propensity for combination and even things like eye-colours or the ways they process information would make for far more interesting ways of categorising the species rather than "girls = boobs, guys = everyone else".

Thankfully James Roberts has done plenty in this regards, albeit not necessarily under the umbrella of "gender", by having concepts like Point One Percenters and Load-Bearers, etc, as well as more cultural than "genetic" concepts like Monoformers.

That said, I'm certainly interested in seeing what they do with Windblade. She does feel a little "Ms. Drift" at the moment, but I'm hoping to be surprised.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538025)
Posted by Flashwave on December 28th, 2013 @ 12:43pm CST
Oh Primus, this is what we're up in arms about? We've gone from "Why sre their girls in Transformers" to "What do you call a girl in a race of machines that are BUILT?" This is why people stop readfing the comics... Just call her a girl if that's who she is supposed to be, and get on with it. And lets not go lambasting the designers for tripping over words that are "Politicaly Correct", please?

craggy wrote:I'm still disappointed that the writers haven't taken the opportunity to throw out our binary gender idea completely. These are alien robots, and gender and race could be defined in quite different ways for these beings. I imagine that things like alt modes, any special abilities, whether a bot retains the same colouring all the time or alters it over the years and through reformattings, compatability with mini-cons or the various 'Master types, propensity for combination and even things like eye-colours or the ways they process information would make for far more interesting ways of categorising the species rather than "girls = boobs, guys = everyone else".

Thankfully James Roberts has done plenty in this regards, albeit not necessarily under the umbrella of "gender", by having concepts like Point One Percenters and Load-Bearers, etc, as well as more cultural than "genetic" concepts like Monoformers.

That said, I'm certainly interested in seeing what they do with Windblade. She does feel a little "Ms. Drift" at the moment, but I'm hoping to be surprised.


This, although I suspect any kind of gender labelling is related more to the base design rather than the altmodes themselves. "-masters", "-Pretenders" and "-Minicon" seem more like upgrades, you could make a sound argument about the Minicons but the rest. On the other hand, Someone who turns into a truck is probably always going to turn into some kind of truck, and not back pedal to becoming a scooter or suddenly scan a jet. There's gotta be some kind consistency, possibly relating to their spark as much as anything else (Golly, I sound like a Functionalist... but any extremist has to start from some kind of truth)

Personally, I find myself subscribing to a theaory that "gender" for a Cybertronian is exactly like a stereotype: They didn't even know what it was until they discovered a trend on other planets as well for the men to generally be the stronger and the females were generally the lighter and tighter shapes

But what do I know?

=====
And I'd like to remind everyone of one small point about Windblade:
"We" designed her. By comittee, the fandom picked the alt, the faction, the gender, and coloring I think? So before we go labbelling, remember this is a product of the fanbase more than almost any other transformer.

have we even gotten a bio out of Windblade yet or are we just drawing conclusins on her being a MarySue
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538028)
Posted by Va'al on December 28th, 2013 @ 12:49pm CST
Some good points there, actually.

I'll add this thing to that: We didn't 'design' or choose the apparent Asianesque features, hence my question earlier. :-?

And no, no Windblade bio as yet. It'll probably come out in the comic, with the comic.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538029)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on December 28th, 2013 @ 12:56pm CST
man windblade is turning out to be the worst idea to date, might even be worse than bayformers. And i dont see why its so hard to introduce genders to a robot race, lets see theres natural evolution, a glitch in the creation matrix or what ever being item or thing creates transformers in that continuity, a random line of code that takes hold or if you want to go spiritual do the balance thing, male female good evil that stuff. Stop having to be so politically correct its a damn comic book and toyline aimed at people who dont give a rats ass they just want robots fighting robots. Heres a good one someone created female transformes to be assassins, they look the way they do so they can be faster, more agile and can hide better plus you have the "wow factor". when the target sees one they wont attack right away they'll sit there and wonder "what the hell are you" giving a perfect opening to finish the job. Or we can just do it like the old days & just throw in female robots & new characters without explanation and accept it as normal. On another note she needs to lose the facepaint, just doesnt look right.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538031)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 28th, 2013 @ 1:03pm CST
*sigh*

It's thread like these that make me wonder if Seibertron is slowly turning into the next TFW2005. >:oP
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538035)
Posted by Dagon on December 28th, 2013 @ 1:15pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:*sigh*

It's thread like these that make me wonder if Seibertron is slowly turning into the next TFW2005. >:oP



The thread about this on TFW is pretty wild at times.

However, I'm pretty sure that people are still allowed to like or dislike things as they find them to their liking or not.

Personally, I am with the side that is already bored with this character, months before she even makes an appearance. Nothing about Windblade hits any of the buttons for what I like in characters, and it's not a female or fembot or anything thing. She could be cool, but I'm not really interested.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538039)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on December 28th, 2013 @ 1:24pm CST
You know the problem here is IDW screwed themselves over with the Frankenstein created woman plot line, as counterpunch eloquently put, it threw a monkey wrench it mythos. There is this concept in fiction referred to as the suspension of disbelief, all IDW needed to do, quite honestly, is say there are lady robots, and guy robots, and just go with it.

Now reading the article its saying she's cisgender, which is a concept where the person identifies their gender with their outward appearance, to oversimplify it. basically meaning theres no woman trapped in a mans body or anything like that, instead they're a man because they were born with the male anatomy. So in this instance it means windblade associates her gender with here outward appearance, almost like allot of the people bitching over internet have wanted transformers gender concepts to be established. Again the problem with windblade right now isn't that she's a strong independent woman or what ever trope you want to through in, its instead its that the moment she's a walking plot hole in IDWs continuity.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538040)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 28th, 2013 @ 1:30pm CST
It baffles me that fan are whining about this fan-built poll winner. She's what the fans wanted, so people are essentially whining about Hasbro/IDW giving the fans what they want. :roll:
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538041)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on December 28th, 2013 @ 1:33pm CST
All I need to do is take one look at that face and I know I will never ever care for this character. Bye, Wingblade... Have fun being a boring, ugly, try-hard character concept. Byyee.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538044)
Posted by RiddlerJ on December 28th, 2013 @ 1:46pm CST
I never understood how gender is such a complicated thing in Transformers. I agree with other people that claim since there is no reproduction, there's no need for different genders in the Transformers. They're all the same.

As for "more feminine" appearing TF's. That's just it. They happen to look more what could traditionally considered female so Elita-1, Chromia, et all could easily be running around the IDWverse without any big deal. If they want to refer to themselves a "he's" or "she's" that just a matter of personal taste.

It just seems like every attempt to explain this just complicates things further. Wouldn't the best way to be all gender inclusive would be to make it a non issue altogether?
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538049)
Posted by Va'al on December 28th, 2013 @ 2:39pm CST
Again, it was made complicated when Arcee was introduced as a deviation from the norm. And to identify the deviation, they chose female pronouns.

Again, genders have nothing to do with reproduction, and the binary concept of male/female is a non-concept. As craggy said, the whole gender thing could've been removed entirely by using factions, but the current Arcee already botched that plan.

The 'walking plothole' argument only works at the current stage of speculation, as Scott has already pointed out that Windblade's backstory will explain her existence alongside Arcee, as a woman. And 'cisgender woman' is, as pointed out above, 'just' a woman - but the latter is a type of language which is not well-accepted by people in the fandom and beyond who realise all the points made so far about genders and sexuality. No lambasting, no attacks, just a point that an author is making to become less exclusive, and fans helping her in that.

Which can only be a good thing.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538060)
Posted by MGrotusque on December 28th, 2013 @ 3:04pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:*sigh*

It's thread like these that make me wonder if Seibertron is slowly turning into the next TFW2005. >:oP

What do you mean by this statement?
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538061)
Posted by Mirimus on December 28th, 2013 @ 3:04pm CST
Before anyone gets the wrong idea, the facepaint is not Geisha-inspired, its Kabuki, which is why it's so garish. I could understand some people being upset if it were truly Geisha.

In any case, I think we need to accept that, as a property that is meant to appeal to us as human beings, and have a high degree of longevity, every aspect of human nature is going to be represented in some fashion. We stick with those things we can relate to, and move away from those things we can't. Hasbro, IDW, and yes, even Paramount want us to stick around for as long as possible, so they simply can't ever make Transformers too alien. Hence, accents, psychological problems, biological correlations, and even gender are going to be represented. I'd rather just accept them and not have them explained with some inane plot.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538067)
Posted by Mudwire on December 28th, 2013 @ 4:01pm CST
While I can't say I like the design of Windblade all that much, and, as another has stated, I would like to possibly see more cultures touched upon rather than the number of Asian culture based ones we've had, like Drift, Bludgeon, and Prowl from animated. Nothing against the culture, I'd just like to see some more stuff, perhaps something less people know about. However, I feel that the character of Windblade herself is in good hands, as the writer seems to be very learned. I think that's the right word.

Although, I do have to disagree with her when she says that, practically, Transformers are not asexual, mostly where she says that the voice being changed to a female would make the character feel changed. I say this is less a matter of what the character's gender may be, but rather just... Well, how they sound and what we're used to. If Megatron still had a male voice, but it was very high-pitched, it would feel equally as changed as if he had a female voice.

But, yeah, I feel like the writer knows what she's doing, overall. And now I wait for David Willis of Shortpacked to make fun of the people commenting here.
Re: IDW 2014 Sneak Peek - Age of Extinction, Windblade, Dawn of the Autobots (1538068)
Posted by Mindmaster on December 28th, 2013 @ 4:25pm CST
Here's more of what she has to say (quoted from her/her husband's account over at TFW2005). Please, for the love of God, no flaming. Please. I already have a headache from reading this thread as is.

Gotten a few asks about Windblade's "Kabuki" elements. This can't be answered in too much detail yet, but Windblade's markings do have meaning and are important to both her and her backstory. However, I have no intention of presenting her in any sort of stereotypical geisha or hand-over-her-mouth-anime-girl role. The first art Hasbro released has her with a rather deadly looking sword and a pretty grim expression. Also, she turns into a military jet, so I'm not really seeing her as a very kawaii character.

You can already read my discussion of what I think about Arcee's origin on my tumblr (also MScottWrites) and I think I've established that I don't intend for Windblade to originate from the same place. (Plus, I'm pretty sure John Barber would string me up by my toes if I did.) I don't want to address it more than that because...you know...spoilers, but I can say that I'm much more interested in writing new stories than ret-conning old ones.

Smart money would say IDW did not go to trouble they have to launch Windblade the way they're doing if she was going to be the only other fembot in all of TF continuity. Just saying.

As to how long we have, I'll be blunt: We've got a 4 issue mini-series that everyone is praying will become an ongoing, but, like every other comic, we have got to prove ourselves from Issue 1. That means we need pre-orders and A LOT of them. Not: 'I'll pick it up when I'm at my shop.' Not 'I'll borrow from a friend' if you want Windblade to keep going the ONLY way to do that is to get your store to pre-order it. Tell them to order lots of it and get your friends to pre-order too. If you don't have a story, BUY it on Comixology or a similar app, but encourage your friends who do have a store to pre-order and buy. I'll try to provide a little help when the official solicitation is released to make it easier on those new to the process.

In terms of how Windblade views other transformers and their genders: well, this is a bit spoiler-y, but she's not exactly going to be shocked that guy transformers exist and since they are all still robots, gender is still going to be a lot less pressing to them than it is to us. Also, you know, it's Transformers, so I'm pretty sure there are going to be more pressing issues for everyone than 'date night.'

Anyone looking for a tease in terms of the 'wrath' I mentioned. Hmmm... how about TFBH having murder, cannibalism, societal collapse, PTSD, and the (perceived) apocalypse itself? That I wrote 'Stronger, Faster' and 'Hurt' and can't even make it through a Rescue Bots episode without putting someone's life in danger. So, while I am shooting to make TF Windblade a little more hopeful than my normal work, danger and excitement should probably be expected.

Regarding a toy: I'm pretty sure Hasbro made some kind of announcement on this, but that's really their domain.

In terms of the poll that made Windblade, I've never been shown any numbers so I can't speak officially. Just from my own business sense, I'm not sure why a company would ask people to make the transformers they want to buy and then not go with the most popular option. But, as I said, that would be a question for toy.

Anyway, we're lining up some good interviews so keep your eyes peeled for more on the book itself, but these should answer some of the more specific questions floating around out there.

Click here to view an additional 86 comments about this topic at the Energon Pub Forums ...

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #102 - Hidden Mickeys
Twincast / Podcast #102:
"Hidden Mickeys"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 5th, 2014