Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Sunday, October 13th, 2013 11:21AM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 16,748

Ready for a recap? Thanks to our friends over at IDW, we have a full preview of this week's issue of Transformers More Than Meets the Eye! Check out the solicit and images below, and make sure to check back on Tuesday for the Seibertron.com review.

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #22
James Roberts (w) • James Raiz (a) • Alex Milne, Nick Roche (c)
MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE: THE MOVIE! When the Autobots set off on their mission to find the Knights of Cybertron, RODIMUS gave REWIND a simple instruction: film everything. The result is a documentary that will forever change your perception of life on board the Lost Light. Discover RUNG’s secret! Meet the greatest Autobot of all time! And learn what SKIDS really got up to on Hedonia!
2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
DARK CYBERTRON begins here!
Leads in to the biggest TRANSFORMERS event in comic book history, beginning next month!
SKIDS variant cover by Phil Jimenez

Transformers News: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview
Credit(s): IDW Publishing
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1523665)
Posted by samcool2006 on October 13th, 2013 @ 3:57pm CDT
I have a feeling I'm going to like this issue.....
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1523682)
Posted by YoungPrime on October 13th, 2013 @ 4:51pm CDT
Wow...."Decabots"? Seriously???

Why isn't James Roberts a CEO or Mayor at Hasbro?

Can't wait till Wednesday.
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1523684)
Posted by Va'al on October 13th, 2013 @ 4:59pm CDT
YoungPrime wrote:Wow...."Decabots"? Seriously???

Why isn't James Roberts a CEO or Mayor at Hasbro?

Can't wait till Weds.

I have a feeling we've already seen these new characters' designs, actually..
Will say more in the review, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1523686)
Posted by YoungPrime on October 13th, 2013 @ 5:25pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
YoungPrime wrote:Wow...."Decabots"? Seriously???

Why isn't James Roberts a CEO or Mayor at Hasbro?

Can't wait till Weds.

I have a feeling we've already seen these new characters' designs, actually..
Will say more in the review, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

What the green guys?

Yeah they're that upcomming Generations deluxe combiner that's releasing with Armada Starscream. But I'd be really surprised if the name on the box is indeed 16444/9 or any other type of arithmetic.
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1523687)
Posted by Va'al on October 13th, 2013 @ 5:31pm CDT
YoungPrime wrote:
Va'al wrote:
YoungPrime wrote:Wow...."Decabots"? Seriously???

Why isn't James Roberts a CEO or Mayor at Hasbro?

Can't wait till Weds.

I have a feeling we've already seen these new characters' designs, actually..
Will say more in the review, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

What the green guys?

Yeah they're that upcomming combinger that's releasing with Armada Starscream. But I'd be really surprised if the name on the box is indeed 16444/9 or any other type of arithmetic.

Hah, that would be quite the reference. :D

But yes, I do think the 'minicon combiner' is an Ammonite soldier. Which makes me want the figures even more.
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1523690)
Posted by YoungPrime on October 13th, 2013 @ 6:03pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
YoungPrime wrote:
Va'al wrote:
YoungPrime wrote:Wow...."Decabots"? Seriously???

Why isn't James Roberts a CEO or Mayor at Hasbro?

Can't wait till Weds.

I have a feeling we've already seen these new characters' designs, actually..
Will say more in the review, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

What the green guys?

Hah, that would be quite the reference. :D

I was trying to match up the insignia of "16444/9" with the Deluxe figure in question but it appears to be a different bot. But judging from issue #24 of More Than Meets The Eye, we haven't seen the last of these guys.

Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1523691)
Posted by Neurie on October 13th, 2013 @ 6:20pm CDT
16444/9 is probably the numerical design number for the toy. All the toys have them and I believe some have them stamped on the boxes(my FOC Blaster has 3193/1 and C-1602A for example).

Does look like a great issue
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1523826)
Posted by snavej on October 14th, 2013 @ 4:54pm CDT
Ha! A superior race of transforming robots! Well, it's a big universe. They were bound to find such a race eventually.
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1523907)
Posted by Va'al on October 15th, 2013 @ 3:56am CDT
Little Victories
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

Remember him? Remember?!

Story

We were told by the solicits and various interviews with James Roberts that this would be a breather issue, an actual 'filler' comic (for those of you who love throwing the word about), and it definitely does do that. But it does a little more too, both in terms of looking back, fleshing out and dropping some hints at what Dark Cybertron might bring.

JUST OPEN THE DAMN BRIEFCASE

Roberts has plenty of time and space in this issue to work his humour and dialogue, without falling into the tonal discordances that occur during big emotional moments or fight scenes. Setting the story mostly during downtimes allows him to just play around with characters and episodes we've seen so far. And the individual panels format really brings out the more idiosyncratic lines by the Lost Light crew.

Unvincible

But, as I said, there's a little more to that. We're introduced to an (apparently) even more advanced and belligerous mechanical civilisation, the Ammonites and the Terradores, which seem to be multiple combiners of adorable little minicon-sized robots. Or are they? Are they hiding anything? Is there.. more than meets the eye?

Yep, we'll definitely see ultra-biners

The issue overall is definitely a recap and a pause, but there are two moments that make it fit even better in the path to Dark Cybertron. The Thunderclash episode and the Hedonia expanded story were actually blended together fairly well, while still having the 'these are just two things that happened' feeling about them. And find out Rung's altmode.

Art

As mentioned, teased and prodded at for quite a while now, this issue marks the return of James Raiz on artwork duties, and it's definitely different from Milne or Roche's approach. Raiz has a darker, heavier touch to his lines, while still not losing in details. Some readers will complain, but I personally like the different style.

So was I, Cyclonus, so was I

Josh Burcham works quite nicely with Raiz's darker style, bringing a light touch and a touch of light to the heavier lines in the pencils and inks. He works particularly well with the different camera perspectives, shifting tones slightly for the Rewind vs Lost Light security camera shots.

Red Alert's presence/paranoia is *everywhere*

The lettering doesn't have to do too much in the issue, but Tom B. Long still has some nice moments, in the style I've come to expect from him. All in all, I like the different texture of the artistic side of the issue, and don't think it detracts anything from the story or its details.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

As I mentioned above, we get to delve a little into the life of some of the major cast members of the Lost Light, expanding on some episodes, almost answering a couple of questions and preparing the stage even if very briefly, for what is ahead. And Rung's altmode. And be prepared for some really, really silly humour.

And self-deprecation?

The art might not appeal to all readers used to the Milne or Roche approaches, but I would still suggest considering it as how Rewind sees the world through his camera - Raiz does a great job in picking up on the artistic qualities of the entire run, and reproduces them perfectly, in his own style.

A final comment, though, to this final issue of what Roberts calls Season 1 of MTMTE. I can't shake off the feeling that this and the prose extract from #21 could have somehow been shrunk together, allowing for some more light on the Tyrest situation. In any case, it's a good issue, and one I think we'll need once we lose cast members (as Roberts has, as per usual, teased).

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1524186)
Posted by Hypershock on October 16th, 2013 @ 9:59am CDT
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1524197)
Posted by Va'al on October 16th, 2013 @ 12:31pm CDT
Hypershock wrote:aaaahahahaha, looks like the Circle of Light shares Seibertron's opinion of the Lost Light Crew members :lol: :grin:

Yeah, Roberts does play on fan-reactions a lot. :D
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1524367)
Posted by 1984forever on October 17th, 2013 @ 3:24am CDT
Va'al wrote:

Yeah, Roberts does play on fan-reactions a lot. :D

Yes, I got the feeling that Tyrest's belief that he could reach Cyberutopia by killing all the KOs was a parody of my belief that Transformers would be purified if every character after G1 season 1 was omitted from existence.

As for the art on this issue... Booooooo! I'm tired of seeing banged up wrecks in the pages of Transformers. Raiz needs to consult with Floro Dery on the correct way to draw these characters.
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1524859)
Posted by Burn on October 20th, 2013 @ 3:50am CDT
That was a damn good read, and I haven't really been a fan of this book.

And it's not too often I laugh out loud while reading a comic, but Whirl "ending the 16 million year old war" and the reveal of Rung's "alt-mode" was too hard not to laugh at.

One thing I couldn't work out was Magnus' reaction to Thunderclash's praise. Just could not work out what was going on in that frame.
Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview (1525059)
Posted by Va'al on October 21st, 2013 @ 1:18pm CDT
Burn wrote:That was a damn good read, and I haven't really been a fan of this book.

He hugs him. The big softie.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #102 - Hidden Mickeys