Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview

Friday, October 25th, 2013 7:11PM CDT

Category: Comic Book News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 15,400

Our friends at IDW have sent us this coming week's comics preview - get ready for the second part to the third arc of Beast Hunters, as issue six hits the stands (digital and print) on Wednesday! Take a look at the full preview below.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview
Credit(s): IDW Publishing
Re: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview (1526035)
Posted by kaijuguy19 on October 25th, 2013 @ 10:03pm CDT
I do find it interesting that Chromia looks a lot like Arcee but with a car alt mode. Wonder if she's related to Arcee as a sister or something?

Also I'm surprised to see Blackout in here with some elements from the movies though I have a small nitpick about his face not being a little movie inspired because I think him just having a G1 styled face makes him look a litte generic,
Re: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview (1526050)
Posted by BERSEKAEL on October 26th, 2013 @ 1:25am CDT
Re: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview (1526053)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on October 26th, 2013 @ 2:08am CDT
Hah, Prime Arcee always was Chromia in my collection.:grin:
Re: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview (1526055)
Posted by Henry921 on October 26th, 2013 @ 2:20am CDT
BERSEKAEL wrote:I can't wait for G1 colors Dinobots to add to my legends/legion collection next to my already Abominus and metroplex toys. :grin:

If wishing made it so...

Chromia, eh? I think Scott wanted to add a few female characters to the cast, given how she's still pining a bit for Ser-Ket...
Re: IDW Transformers: Prime Beast Hunters #6 Preview (1526737)
Posted by Va'al on October 29th, 2013 @ 8:12am CDT
E infine uscimmo a riveder le stelle
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

With Cybertron reformed, the underground tunnels and caves have become unstable. It's up to the DINOBOTS to lead the underground survivors to safety on the surface. But with the waters rising and the walls collapsing, making it out alive may be tougher than it sounds?

Unless you're a CAR

Story

After the animated series ended, we were left with some questions about what was going on on Cybertron in the meantime and after the Predacons Rising feature. The comics have been catching up to the screen story, but only had a few points of contact. This second issue in the arc continues to tease the bigger connection with the Prime storyline, with Mairghread Scott at the helm.

And Snarl in charge

We were left last month with the Omega Lock restoring life on the planet, and most characters being recharged with fresh energon and even regenerated themselves. Though Grimlock did go on a bit of a bend for a while, rampaging through one of the surviving cities. That seems to have led to further developments in this issue, though.

Or is it..?

It's refreshing though to see a story which works with the Dinobots without losing all of its focus by merely concentrating on Grimlock. Snarl gets some of the spotlight, Sludge is in there a lot more, Slug and Swoop mostly provide raw comic relief, with a serious vein streaking through. And you get Firestar, Chromia, Zoom, Blackout and so many more characters, while not losing the plot entirely.

Snarl, meet Dante

What I really really really liked, though I'm not sure how intentional it was, were the literary references throughout, as well as the addition of extra creatures and references back to previous Transformers lore and continuity. It may be my background, but I could not shake off Dante's Inferno throughout the issue. Anyone else?

Art

Agustin Padilla is still on art, this time accompanied by Atilio Rojo. There are still, however, moments of contrasting styles, alternating seemingly at random between the cleaner, sleek versions of the panels, and the sketchier, rougher lines in others. I don't mind either, but it's the inconsistency that puts me off at times. This used to be a problem limited to Padilla himself, but I wonder what

Chromia is worried too

As for colours, Priscilla Tramontano does a tremendous job with lighting and shading, especially considering that most of the issues, like the previous ones, still takes place underground. The comparison with later panels makes it even more obvious, as everything lightens up - but the shadows is where things happen. And lurk, of course.

Shadow-minous

Tom B. Long still shines in his lettering work, never getting in the way of the artwork, but always complementing with Scott script's sound effects. He really has a feel for the more bestial of characters, and is perfectly suited for the series. All in all, the artwork is good, though a little conflicting in places.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Scott definitely has a better writing style, especially for dialogues, than Johnson. For some reason, however, these later issues still don't live up to the excitement of the first two. The story isn't bad, at all, and there are some good parts and good character development and interaction. But it did not drag me in straight away.

But more Sludge time is good time

As for the artwork, Padilla and Rojo's styles seems to have swinging moods in clean versus sketchy, and the contrast can be jarring at times. I have nothing against the colours and lettering though, and the whole thing does look good in the end. I'm interested to see what will happen in the next, final arc of the series, but not desperately so.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: