IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 5:52PM CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: Dr Va'al   Views: 12,996

In preparation of the upcoming Free Comic Book Day issue 1 of the new Transformers vs G.I. Joe ongoing series, writer and artist Tom Scioli talks on his blog about the research process that has gone into the series, and shows off some of his notebook pages. Check out his full blog post here, and some snippets below!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes

I’ve just completed the artwork for the inaugural Free Comic Book Day issue of Transformers vs. G.I.Joe. I want nothing more than to share it with the world immediately, but it’s not a webcomic, at least not yet. What I can share are the notes and sketches I did in preparation for working on this series.

[...]

I remember a toy, a set of plastic armor that allowed you to become an Autobot. I’m considering using that design as the basis for a cybernetic armor worn by Autobot-allied humans in the story. Although it’s not the driving force of the project, some of the appeal for me is linking it to the parts of these mythologies that resonated with me as a child, and in a way continue to resonate with me. There’s a generational aspect to these things. There was a generation that really basked in the glow of Marvel superheroes and created compelling second-generation work with those characters that someone from the generation before and after would be incapable of for the reason that these characters did not resonate with them in the same way. I feel like something similar is happening with this project. I was 8 when these characters, toys and cartoons were new. They were of the moment, but as far as I knew, they could’ve been around for a thousand years.
Credit(s): Tom Scioli

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550042)
Posted by Dr Va'al on February 12th, 2014 @ 12:46pm CST
Courtesy of the Free Comic Book Day website, we get a look at the first pages of the Tom Scioli written and drawn Transformers vs. G.I. Joe first issue, in a new ongoing series from IDW Publishing. Check out the images below - will you be attempting to get this free issue come May?

Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550043)
Posted by helli0n on February 12th, 2014 @ 12:47pm CST
IDW has posted a PDF preview of the issue on Twitter.

IDW TF VS GI JOE Preview Tweet

Direct Link to the Preview PDF
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550047)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 12th, 2014 @ 12:49pm CST
The slag is up with the speaking bubbles for Bee and Screamer? Why did they feel compelled to give them two separate bodies of speech (one nonsensical and one translating off to the side) instead of just putting the words into the main bubbles and single little note off the side telling us that they're speaking Cybertronian? This as it is just feels like a waist of space.
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550049)
Posted by morphobots on February 12th, 2014 @ 1:05pm CST
I see a lot more here that's a waste of space than just the nonsense bubbles.
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550053)
Posted by Mkall on February 12th, 2014 @ 1:15pm CST
I get that they're trying for the 80's vibe, but no... just no.
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550054)
Posted by SG Roadbuster on February 12th, 2014 @ 1:20pm CST
Yikes......this made me cringe, both the art and dialog.makes me nostalgic for the Dreamwave days (yuck, cant believe i said that *self administers fortey lashes*)
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550066)
Posted by Bouncy X on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:01pm CST
looks like it was made in the 80s and i don't mean that in a good way.
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550067)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:01pm CST
And does Starscream transform into the Nemesis now?
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550071)
Posted by jgilkinson on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:16pm CST
So snake eyes talks and doesnt wear a mask... I was looking forward to this book before now. Easy pass
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550072)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:23pm CST
jgilkinson wrote:So snake eyes talks and doesnt wear a mask...
Not yet at least. Snake-Eyes wasn't always silent and masked. Another TF/Joe crossover from 2004 had Snake-Eyes as a maskless chatterbox in the first issue, but by that issue's end, an attack by Starscream rendered his face hideously scarred and his voice lost. By the second issue, his face was concealed and he donned the full ninja attire.
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550081)
Posted by Seibertron on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:45pm CST
I don't think this is what fans of either property had in mind when we said we wanted a Transformers vs G.I. Joe crossover.
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550088)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:54pm CST
Wait what? This is an ongoing series now? This isn't like a stupid sex issue mini series or something, it's a full blown ongoing?

They won't make a comic continuing TF Animated, but they're making this an ongoing. Seriously, an ongoing?

This looks like something I drew as a kid, this was stupid when I thought it was a one off thing, but an ONGOING, a f**king ONGOING?

Is idw high or something?
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550090)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:02pm CST
This is hilarious, I love and hate it!
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550093)
Posted by Seibertron on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:03pm CST
Hey everyone ... these will help

Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550097)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:09pm CST
Seibertron wrote:Hey everyone ... these will help

Here's a neat little fact: You will die of alcohol poisoning before this starts looking better.
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550098)
Posted by njb902 on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:10pm CST
Maybe if it was an audio comic..... Oh wait :HEADHURTS:
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550099)
Posted by Burn on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:14pm CST
Thank you IDW for vindicating my anti-crossover stance I've had for years.
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550101)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:22pm CST
You know, I previously couldn't decide who was the worst artist to ever draw TF comics, until now it was a toss up between Pat Lee, the Marvel US comics, the guy who did Spotlight Nightbeat, and the guy who did Spotlight Sixshot.
Now I know that they all pale in comparison to this guy here.

It doesn't even look 80s, it looks like bad children's drawings inspired by the G2 comics.
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550105)
Posted by WiseMan on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:32pm CST
My brain can't comprehend why IDW didn't say "STOP!" when they saw the first drawn page. Or when they read the first word balloon.

I understand that they're going for a stylized version, but yikes. This is not for me. And I can't for the life of me understand who this would be for.
Re: IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe - Tom Scioli's January Notes (1550108)
Posted by Burn on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:43pm CST
Transformers vs New Avengers? Fail.
Infestation? Fail.
Infestation 2? Fail.
Conspiracy? Heading for a fail.

Just stop doing crossovers IDW.