Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014 5:16PM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Reviews, Site Articles
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 22,182

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The End, Pt. 1
(Spoiler free-ish)



Synopsis
PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE! WINDBLADE seeks out the last refuge she has left, the living city METROPLEX as his malfunctions intensify! WINDBLADE realizes that even if she survives STARSCREAM, METROPLEX himself may doom them all!

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review
Recap? Recap


Story

And so we've had explosions, more explosions, scheming, Predacons, bar scenes, torture scenes, world building, a fantabulous Starscream and so far, a plot that does not seem to want to resolve itself in any way that may have been indicated by writer Mairghread Scott up until this very moment - does it pay off? Is this final issue in Windblade's story, for now at least, a satisfying conclusion? Keep on reading...

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review
Evidence A: Fantabulous Starscream


Scott writes some magnificent Starscream narrative, alongside Windblade and Chromia's - the latter in particular, especially in this issue - and how the three key players interact on the grand scale stage of Metroplex, Iacon and Cybertron.. and maybe even further than that, as we find out more about Caminusand the Camiens, Metroplex himself, and some continuity-bending that would make Barber blush.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review
Evidence B: REDACTED


The plot throws us some bones, which turn out to be herrings, of the red kind, pointing in all the possible wrong directions before establishing and setting up the actual endpoint to the story started in issue 1 - which is not actually the end of the issue at all. Of course, the actual clues were there all along, and quite in plain sight, looking back.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review
The Reveal


I'm obviously not going to spoil the climax and denouement, but I do have to say that while the apex of the running plot itself was, in fact, almost anti-climactically played out, everything - everything - else happening around it is so astoundingly powerful that it more than made up for it! (So much so I just used an exclamation mark.) But more on that below.

Art

I'm not entirely sure what more I can say about Sarah Stone's artwork that I haven't commented upon in the first three reviews. But this issue does highlight what it is I really truly enjoyed in this début run for the new artist: her characters' expressions. We get anger, concentration, satisfaction, smugness, despair, hope - we get rounded personalities captured in linework, by way of faces, bodies and interactions.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review
Evidence C: Intense


All of that is before you even consider the excellent layouts and panelwork, with some truly experimental, slightly non-linear (dat final page), but not bordering into abstract just yet, pages, splashes and spreads. Then you get the colours. And the contrasts of light, of monochromatic blocks versus all-white or all-black backgrounds - something showed off on the cover, too.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review
Evidence D: Words, panels, revel


Chris Mowry's lettering does some masterfully crafted complementary work to the already great artwork, rendering Scott's sounds and words vividly on the page and in characters' heads and voices, and beautifully fitting between Stone's lines, with fonts, hues, colours and fading effects alike. And just to keep us guessing, two Phil Jimenez and Romulo Fajardo Jr covers, one with Windblade, one with Chromia (see thumbnail).


Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

A truly magnificent ending to what is clearly, obviously, just the beginning of a long long story to unfold in the Transformers universe, from MTMTE to Primacy to Empire of Stone to RID - where we'll see Windblade again not too far in the future - which, as I said, if it does tone down the plot resolution, it does so by amping up absolutely everything else, with a personal reaction that hit as far as Soundwave's arc in RID, or the C/R one in MTMTE.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review
Evidence E: AMPING UP


Sometimes, as a comics reader, one should just revel in the pure aesthetic, sensory pleasure of a book as object, of the colours as feeling, of the story as layout, of the words as sounds. This comic has allows all of that, and sets up something so big it will make several people complain. But I, and I suspect many many more, do not care. At all.


. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Credit(s): IDW Publishing, Va'alù
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1592663)
Posted by dragons on July 22nd, 2014 @ 6:54pm CDT
Female transformer have lipstick on
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1592666)
Posted by Va'al on July 22nd, 2014 @ 7:03pm CDT
So do I, and I'm not a Transformer.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1592724)
Posted by Spazma on July 22nd, 2014 @ 10:59pm CDT
"And so we've had explosions, more explosions, scheming, Predacons"

You mean Terrorcons?

:grin:
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1592750)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 23rd, 2014 @ 2:33am CDT
Friday can't come quick enough for me, as tempting as it is to wait till next week when RID is out, I want to see this arc to its conclusion :D
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1592761)
Posted by Va'al on July 23rd, 2014 @ 5:01am CDT
Spazma wrote:"And so we've had explosions, more explosions, scheming, Predacons"

You mean Terrorcons?

:grin:


Both! I forgot to drop that in, but Waspinator is a Predacon. :D
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1592786)
Posted by Tigertrack on July 23rd, 2014 @ 8:20am CDT
Nice review Va'al. Your breakdowns are always well done. I read the preview issue we got and came away somewhat dissatisfied with how the whole thing finished. But I am looking forward to more from this point... Like the next RID that they tease at the end.

I like the art but don't love it. Sometimes I felt a little lost as to who is who, or what is happening, but overall it is energetic and telling as you described.

A good series. An interesting new character. Looking forward to more.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1592907)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on July 23rd, 2014 @ 5:22pm CDT
Well all the comic shops in the city of portland sold out of issue 4 by 2 P.M today, wasn't able to get one :/
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1594683)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on July 29th, 2014 @ 3:01pm CDT
You know, I felt the issue kinda...fell flat. I was actually shocked by the reveal, which is a definite plus, how Windblade dealt with it was...nothing? I mean, Chromia basically betrayed Windblade and everything she stands for, and then Windblade just like shrugs it off and plays it like she is a parent telling a child not to tell a lie again.

However, I find that this is also one of my favorite TF stories to date. A nice miniseries that packs punch, doesn't drag on, and is stunning to look at.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1594684)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on July 29th, 2014 @ 3:01pm CDT
You know, I felt the issue kinda...fell flat. I was actually shocked by the reveal, which is a definite plus, how Windblade dealt with it was...nothing? I mean, Chromia basically betrayed Windblade and everything she stands for, and then Windblade just like shrugs it off and plays it like she is a parent telling a child not to tell a lie again.

However, I find that this is also one of my favorite TF stories to date. A nice miniseries that packs punch, doesn't drag on, and is stunning to look at.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1595506)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 31st, 2014 @ 4:55pm CDT
Well finally read the issue, the big reveal didn't have much impact I thought, and I imagined better motive. I do like the Starscream and Windblade relationship reversal at the end there. All in all I liked this miniseries, from the beautiful art to the characters themselves. I also loved the call out to beast wars ;) Here's hoping to see Air Hammer get her chance to shine at IDW.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1596869)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on August 5th, 2014 @ 8:43pm CDT
Okay, so, I've been reading the series again in order to see it hollistically. If anyone else has done so, does it seem as though Starscream knew who the culprit was the whole time?
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1596929)
Posted by Va'al on August 6th, 2014 @ 5:38am CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Okay, so, I've been reading the series again in order to see it hollistically. If anyone else has done so, does it seem as though Starscream knew who the culprit was the whole time?


I don't think he knew at all, but it's rather down to him being a very adaptable opportunist: he clearly thought it was Rattrap, even just for the throwaway line about it. Issue #3 shows his honest surprise, though whether it is at it not being Windblade trying to blow herself up or at something else, I do not know.

We've seen it with the Metrotitan, with the NAILS, in pretty much every iteration of the character- he's quick, he learns, he knows how to spin things his way, with varying degrees of success. And he probably sees how others can be like him, and only takes it as natural if that actually happens. :-?
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1597007)
Posted by Tal El on August 6th, 2014 @ 10:23am CDT
Nemesis Maximo wrote:You know, I felt the issue kinda...fell flat. I was actually shocked by the reveal, which is a definite plus, how Windblade dealt with it was...nothing? I mean, Chromia basically betrayed Windblade and everything she stands for, and then Windblade just like shrugs it off and plays it like she is a parent telling a child not to tell a lie again.

However, I find that this is also one of my favorite TF stories to date. A nice miniseries that packs punch, doesn't drag on, and is stunning to look at.



I think Windblade valued Chromia's friendship above all else and understood why her friend did it: to save their own home. But as a Speaker she had to make the decision to stand above her own desires and help all Cybertronians. Though that seems counterintuitive, I believe Windblade made the decision to spare Chromia because in her heart she felt her friend was doing what she did for the right reasons and it'll better for her if they both stand together in their brave new world.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1597083)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on August 6th, 2014 @ 2:35pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
Nemesis Maximo wrote:Okay, so, I've been reading the series again in order to see it hollistically. If anyone else has done so, does it seem as though Starscream knew who the culprit was the whole time?


I don't think he knew at all, but it's rather down to him being a very adaptable opportunist: he clearly thought it was Rattrap, even just for the throwaway line about it. Issue #3 shows his honest surprise, though whether it is at it not being Windblade trying to blow herself up or at something else, I do not know.

We've seen it with the Metrotitan, with the NAILS, in pretty much every iteration of the character- he's quick, he learns, he knows how to spin things his way, with varying degrees of success. And he probably sees how others can be like him, and only takes it as natural if that actually happens. :-?

That's true, I now remember his line about how Ratrap should show more initiative. But to your point about his opportunism, I love how he has evolved from somewhat of a lunatic in most early fiction into what he is now. He may still want to take power whenever he can, but he does it in more intelligent ways than just (star)screaming "Decepticons! Let's betray Megatron and then get our asses kicked!"
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1597094)
Posted by Va'al on August 6th, 2014 @ 2:55pm CDT
Exactly! This series, even more than RID, has shown how effective Starscream actually is (even with Windblade at the end playing the game). And I am *very* curious to see what happens with Wheeljack's return in #34.

Tal El wrote:I think Windblade valued Chromia's friendship above all else and understood why her friend did it: to save their own home. But as a Speaker she had to make the decision to stand above her own desires and help all Cybertronians. Though that seems counterintuitive, I believe Windblade made the decision to spare Chromia because in her heart she felt her friend was doing what she did for the right reasons and it'll better for her if they both stand together in their brave new world.


I'm still expecting some sort of dealing with Chromia in the next installment of the story, either in RID or the next Windblade mini-series. In some way, at least! The issue left it a bit too hanging.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1597242)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 7th, 2014 @ 3:48am CDT
With Chromia, I'm not expecting too much in the way of resolution, it looked like she herself had a lot to think about. As such I think she'll be even more loyal the next time we see her. I'm more wondering about the colonies and their role in the future (like say elegant chaos and combiner wars).

Now as for screamer, this is the best version of him I think, it's been a while that we seen him like this. I only hope that he doesn't end up throwing all this development away in the near future by joining back up with the cons.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1597302)
Posted by Va'al on August 7th, 2014 @ 10:18am CDT
Well, Rhinox has been shown on one of the covers, and we have a toy for him.

I know Sarah is really happy to be working on TFP Knockout's design, which makes me think we'll see him too.
Re: IDW Transformers: Windblade #4 (Dawn of the Autobots) Review (1597307)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 7th, 2014 @ 10:29am CDT
Knock-Out will be a fun addition, even better if he got to interact with the boyz from the lost light :lol:

With Rhinox, now I understand how controversial a choice it would be, what about if they took his character from Beast Machines (Tankor). Not everyone from the colonies is going to be good...unless thats how they add Gobots into the mix :P
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #103 - Road Trip
Twincast / Podcast #103:
"Road Trip"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 19th, 2014