Transformers News: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure?

Wednesday, November 25th, 2009 9:31AM CST

Categories: Toy News, Rumors, People News
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 55,823

Masterpiece Transformers news has been on our minds recently. With the new images of the Black Convoy repaint of Masterpiece Prime, and the upcoming release of the Grimlock special edition (comic colors), fans are trying to guess the future of the Masterpiece line.

An interview with the designer of the upcoming Revenge of the Fallen 'Buster Prime', Hirinori Kobayashi, shares some insight into the design process, designers not always being happy with what the company ends up producing, and a possible hint at what the next Masterpiece figure is.

"He (referring to Hirinori) was in charge of all Masterpiece products, except for MP-3. He again hints of the new MP next year 2010, which has a significance to Transformers. ("2010" is s Japanese title for G1 season 3.)"

You can read the rest of the translated interview at Tformers.com, and come on back over to discuss what you think this clue leads to in the 'hunt for the next masterpiece figure'.

My guess...

Re: Which Transformer will be MP-09?

Re: Which Transformer will be MP-09?

Make your own predictions below!

Seibertron.com for all of your Transformers news and resource needs.

Vector Sigma Database
Comprehensive Photo Galleries
Most Recent Transformers News
Credit(s): TFormers.com
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022718)
Posted by El Duque on November 25th, 2009 @ 9:44am CST
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022720)
Posted by Tigertrack on November 25th, 2009 @ 9:51am CST
El Duque wrote:Hope you're wrong. There are so many other figures I would like to see get the MP treatment before Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime.

I could be wrong. 2010...leader, takes over as Prime. Possible to make as Hot Rod and transforms into Rodimus...I think it might be kind of sweet.

Lots of other possibilities too.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022723)
Posted by SJ21 on November 25th, 2009 @ 9:55am CST
Kibble wrote:SJ21 wrote:
I could see them doing Soundwave as a new mold. That would give them plenty of options for MP tapes to sell. I know I would buy every one of those. Heck, they could do a black repaint as Soundblaster and a red one as Blaster. Make that money!
My only concern with a(n) MP Soundwave is they may not have much room to jazz it up and it'll just turn into an oversized version of the G1 figure with gimmicks and a little added articulation, even more so than Grimlock. I guess for some people that would be considered perfection, but for $100-150 I want a little more action than folding out the arms and legs and flipping up the head. Maybe they could do more with the cassettes, but even those seem to be limiting in options. But if it happens, maybe I'll be surprised...

I am sure they could come up with a way to make Soundwave more more intricate to transform. I know the G1 mold doesn't involved much, but neither did Grimlock's. They managed to make Grimlock a great figure. I would like to see a new Decepticon mold before another Autobot comes out.

If they are planning on using Hot Rod / Rodimus Prime, my guess is that they choose Hot Rod. You really can't do R.P. without his Winnebago-trailer-thing. Making that would probably cost them a lot more money. I mean, they didn't origionally include a trailer with MP Prime.

I like Hot Rod's car mode better anyway.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022726)
Posted by Seibertron on November 25th, 2009 @ 10:26am CST
El Duque wrote:Has/Tak has already stated that reverse engineering a mold is a piece of cake, so loss of the original mold shouldn't be that big of an issue.

They have more-or-less stated that. Please note that it is extremely expensive to do this which I imagine is more the reason why they haven't started pumping out reissues of old school Transformers left and right yet.

El Duque wrote:They have also stated they don't really consider doing reissues of figures that have been KO'd since the KO's are essentially filling the demand for that particular figure. That seems like the more reasonable explaination to me.

They definitely DID NOT state that. If anything, the KOs would show the exact opposite point ... which is that they should make these figures because there's a demand for them.

FYI - KO figures that were recently reissued: Takara Tomy's Encore Rumble and Frenzy.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022730)
Posted by ponycorn on November 25th, 2009 @ 11:04am CST
I'm holding out hope for MP Galvatron as far as new MP molds go.

I expect and demand a US release of Thundercracker. My US MP Starscream and Skywarp look lonely. Plus I want to re-create some AHM scenes with Cracker and Warp.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022733)
Posted by Black Arachnis on November 25th, 2009 @ 11:08am CST
heh...funny hint but I`m gonna guess on that hint that it WON`T be Rodimus Prime but MP-09 Ultra Magnus Perfect Edition WITH his trailer armor. why? well gee, it`ll take the least effort and they can milk the MP-01 mold some more. plus, Prime got HIS trailer in MP-04 so Magnus is overdue for his.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022734)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on November 25th, 2009 @ 11:16am CST
Rodimu's trailer is MUCH smaller than Optimus' ... and MPs in general are smaller, so they may very well do him, trailer and all.

Although I'm much more of a Hot Rod fan myself ...
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022737)
Posted by kirbenvost on November 25th, 2009 @ 11:33am CST
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022739)
Posted by Tigertrack on November 25th, 2009 @ 11:43am CST
kirbenvost wrote:I'm hoping for Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, myself, as he's one of my favorite characters. I can only imagine how awesome an MP version could be. Of course, I'd be just as happy with a Galvatron as well.

Since when have you liked Rodimus??? I never knew! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022740)
Posted by Neurie on November 25th, 2009 @ 11:56am CST
My best guess foir MP09? Galvatron or Hotrod.

As a wildcard hows about a MP Wheelie with Sharkticon?

MP Cyclonus and Scourge would rule as would a MP Arcee
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022741)
Posted by Tigertrack on November 25th, 2009 @ 12:11pm CST
Neurie wrote:My best guess foir MP09? Galvatron or Hotrod.

As a wildcard hows about a MP Wheelie with Sharkticon?

MP Cyclonus and Scourge would rule as would a MP Arcee

MP Arcee could be a monumental toy for many reasons, and of course, they could repaint it add nauseum putting whomever female name they would like on it.

Since there was no G1 toy produced and released, this would indeed be a phenomenal piece.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022754)
Posted by Fearing on November 25th, 2009 @ 1:11pm CST
With all the extra bells and wistles that MP's often get, it'd be cool to see a MP Hot Rod that is also MP Rodimus Prime and is able to convert between the two somehow. Doesn't seem like it's be terribly easy to do or necessarily even possible, but the transformation on the movie Prime toy shows me they can at least do a lot more than I would have thought possible.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022755)
Posted by yellow Camaro on November 25th, 2009 @ 1:34pm CST
I'm hoping for Fortress Maximus, as tall as G1 Scorponok.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022758)
Posted by kirbenvost on November 25th, 2009 @ 1:51pm CST
tigertracks 24 wrote:

Since when have you liked Rodimus??? I never knew! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Since I first saw the G1 toy...neighbor's melted windshield and all. :p Later on, I dunno, I just think he looks cool, and he's not as annoying as everyone makes him out to be, IMO. Is that why you're loling? :p
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022765)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on November 25th, 2009 @ 2:26pm CST
If there is an mp HotRod(or Rodimus) im going to put money aside for it as soon as its announced and preorder it first chance i can. I missed out on Megatron (still pissed about that) im not gonna miss out on my favorite autobot of all time. Same thing if theres a Soundwave one. But the next MP I want to see is Mirage. There hasnt been a F1 TF in so long its time to make another. Hell ill be happy if they make an F1 mirage of any class even ROTF.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022766)
Posted by Burn on November 25th, 2009 @ 2:30pm CST
yellow Camaro wrote:I'm hoping for Fortress Maximus, as tall as G1 Scorponok.

I'd hope for a Fortress Maximus, as tall as G1 Fortress Maximus!
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022771)
Posted by Mkall on November 25th, 2009 @ 2:48pm CST
Am I the only one hoping it's Galvatron?
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022777)
Posted by Crystal Rodimus on November 25th, 2009 @ 3:28pm CST
If it's either Galvatron or Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, they can claim my money now. I'd go up to $150 for a proper MP of either of them.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022779)
Posted by Ravenous Zero on November 25th, 2009 @ 3:42pm CST
Everyone seems to forget that there is an Ultra Magnus MP figure. If they made MP Prime with his trailer, why not Magnus with his trailer??? It would be awesome. But my 2nd guess is Rodimus.
As far as Encore figures, Well why not the rest of the Autobot cassettes? In case some of you don't know what I'm talking about: http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/W_Cassettebot?r=seibertron
But I hope They do rare figures, like Reflector, or the Omnibots. That would be awesome.
Re: Interview With Takara Tomy Designer Hirinori Kobayashi--Hints At Next Masterpiece Figure? (1022782)
Posted by Stormrider on November 25th, 2009 @ 4:03pm CST
Rodimus and Galvatron seem like obvious choices, though I am hoping for Soundwave or Shockwave, or continue with the Dinobots.

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #136 - The Gathering