Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade

Transformers News: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade

Thursday, April 10th, 2014 4:18AM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Dr Va'al   Views: 27,736

Next week, IDW Publishing's Transformers comics will start its new mini-series on the fan-steered character Windblade, for whom we've seen a couple of interviews already - including our exclusive Sarah Stone one. Comics news site ComicsAlliance was also able to interview the two creators and we've reported some snippets below - read on!

ComicsAlliance: Tell me about Windblade. What sort of story are you and Sarah telling?

Mairghread Scott: Transformers: Windblade is a four-issue miniseries designed to introduce longtime fans to a brand new character and new readers to the current Transformers world. So we really wanted to tell an honestly hopeful, fun story that showcased how human Transformers really are.

We also wanted to really show off the unique things we love most about Transformers as a brand. We have fight sequences that are not even possible in other stories. We have a dazzling array of character designs and relationships, and the world itself is just too lush not to explore. Our characters reside in a living city. They can turn into jets and they fight with axes. They live for thousands of years and have only recently stopped a civil war that almost killed them all. There are some amazing stories to be had in a place like this, and Sarah and I intend to exploit every angle we can to bring fans something that will really take their breath away.

CA: How did each of you come to this book?

MS: Like most comics work that I’ve been part of, it involved a unique dance of asking/begging, worrying, pitching, worrying and then actually doing it. I first heard about Windblade’s creation as a character and toy at a convention with my editor John Barber and I immediately asked to be involved if she got a comic. Of course it took a few months to get the timing right, but John did let me pitch on Windblade — which meant explaining who I thought she was, her backstory and what a miniseries would like like — and he liked it. The rest, as they say, is history.

Sarah Stone: I have Mairghread to thank for the opportunity. She found me through some of my fan art online, and then we started talking more once we met at a comic con. She was kind enough to involve me in a personal comic project she wanted to create a pitch for, and thats when she asked if I would be interested in having my name thrown in as an artist for a Transformers project. I couldn’t say “YES” fast enough!

[...]

CA: You’re also telling the story of a female Transformer, though not the first. As the Transformers are all robots, can you talk a little bit about what gender means in this fictional universe and how it’s represented?

The beauty of Transformers is that, by their very nature, they’re a very inclusive race. Some Bots turn into jets, or cars, or flying sharks. They can be as small as trash cans or as big as whole cities. So while Windblade and [fellow Transformer] Chromia’s gender makes them “different” to other Cybertronians, it’s a much bigger deal to our readers than it is to the characters in the book.
Credit(s): ComicsAlliance

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564141)
Posted by Henry921 on April 10th, 2014 @ 5:44am CDT
Not reaching for the sledgehammer. That's encouraging.

I've promoted my feelings from "indifference" to "cautious optimism."
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564271)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on April 10th, 2014 @ 3:28pm CDT
[quote]We have fight sequences that are not even possible in other stories.[/quote]Not sure it she means non-Transformer stories or non-comic stories, but I want to assume the latter because it implies this mini will be more violent than even TFs are allowed to get in cartoons, which is why I always preferred Marvel over Sunbow once I read the later U.S. issues. My biggest regret about Prime is that it came and went without Predaking caving in someone's head with a kick, making them convulse and spasm as the spewed their final life-fuel until until he wrenched it clean off their neck and squashed it flat in close up. Not that that sort of thing happens every issue, but there's always the outside possibility, whereas Prime was the most graphically violent cartoon the franchise will see for at least a decade, and it still wasn't quite there.

So, looking forward to this. It'll be years before I catch up from where I'm still stuck in the old TF ongoing, but I am looking forward to it.
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564295)
Posted by Vicalliose on April 10th, 2014 @ 5:19pm CDT
[quote]MS Yes. IDW’s continuity has never had an “originally female” Transformer in it (the only female transformer in the line, Arcee, was made female against her will) so it was important to us that Windblade’s comic present a positive view of Lady Bots without having the characters beat everyone over the head with their gender.[/quote] Except that's kind of the whole point of this comic. :P

Transformers do not just lack females, they lack gender altogether. Although as purely no-gender race they naturally take on a masculine tone that could be defined as 'male' by other species. This should not be about females struggling in a man's world, but that is the clear vibe this stupid thing is giving off.

If anything, the simple way around this is if they were never addressed as if they were 'different' in any way. They'd just have smaller builds. But then of course, there'd be no point, seeing as there are plenty of small built bots that do not take on 'feminine' features because such societal norms which define females in human society do not exist for Cybertronians. I'll note that IDW Arcee doesn't even have 'breasts' (outside of those times when she is drawn by morons) and she's actually not that different from a number of other 'males' in the series. There's just something hard-coded in her CNA that makes everyone feel awkward or uncomfortable around her.

But anyways. I hope everyone who defends this mess realizes that they are inadvertently defending the existence of Drift and AHM, because I'd bet the same people actually hate those things. Perhaps this opens the way for some terrible 'white knight' jokes to be used on these two terrible fan creations. I'd actually love it if that were true. :lol:
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564405)
Posted by ZackRoyer on April 11th, 2014 @ 7:00am CDT
Vicalliose wrote: Except that's kind of the whole point of this comic. :P

As Prime Shockwave would say: Your argument is, logical.

I think people over think things, Or they are in a moronic crusade to get attention.
People want "equality" in transformers gender? Call everyone "it" or by its name. Problem :CON:cking solved.
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564413)
Posted by 1984forever on April 11th, 2014 @ 7:44am CDT
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564415)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on April 11th, 2014 @ 7:54am CDT
84forever wrote:Mairghread Scott wants to introduce readers to a Transformers where Autobots and Decepticons are not at war. The war concept was arguably one third of the appeal of Transformers. The other parts being their different personalities and their ability to Transform. Unbeknownst to many readers, IDW has already removed the personality portion from Transformers when they decided not to use certain character's speech patterns from the cartoon. Almost all of them now say "ummm", "actually" and "literally" and sound the same. I suppose the next two things IDW will do to ruin Transformers is turn them all into Actionmasters and make them all Autobots!

"In any war, there are calms between storms."

Don't worry, once we get through a volume or two of character building, interesting interactions, new and fascinating threats, and hilarious dialogues, we'll be back to boring old lasers and explosions!
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564418)
Posted by T-Macksimus on April 11th, 2014 @ 8:32am CDT

I think what's pissing you off here is that IDW has let Mairghread and Sarah develop a "thinking persons" comic, something for older readers to actually enjoy. I don't see how you could possibly miss that these characters have personality and Maighread wanting to present Transformers in a non-wartime situation is brilliant. It'll be nice to have another comic that doesn't openly and immediately appeal to knuckle dragging, ass scratching neanderthals who get off on watching sh** blow up or think the pinnacle of entertainment is watching mechs tear each other new a**holes with medieval weapons or BFG's. The original cartoon actually had some pretty decent episodes, or at least almost decent until the story was interrupted with gratuitous and absolutely unnecessary violence.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pacifist by any stretch. I have a weapon collection most folks find frightening (especially because I'm trained in the use of ALL of what I own) and I can induce a heart attack in a human being with using just 2 fingers. I also happen to be highly intelligent and find violence simply for it's own sake to be abhorrent and utterly asinine. So for me, the prospect of an actual STORY for once is quite refreshing.
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564422)
Posted by Maerviska on April 11th, 2014 @ 8:39am CDT
I've try to look around and found it, but I couldn't; Do we have a date for Windblade?

To be honest, I didn't even know there was female bots before I started reading the comics and seeing Arcee. So, yeah, it didn't really bother me that there "was" not any female, but it made me really happy when I saw her, and what they made of her. And know I wanna get to know Chromia and Elita One. Yeah, it might be because I'm female too that I'm attracted to those characters. So what? And now I'm really curious about Windblade.

The way I see it (maybe I'm wrong but oh well), it's not black or white, or in this case male or female. There's a large range of "genre" in-between, so yeah, there'is more manly bots and more feminine bots but also many more kind-off looking bots between thos two. Like that design of Blurr. Yeah, he looks pretty feminine, you like it or you don't (I personnally like it a lot), but that won't really change the character's personality right?

And, yeah, it is sad, but when I was a little girl (and even a bit now), having a female character in a fandom mostly aimed at boys, made me feel more okay with liking it too, and with playing with toys "for boys" (aaaah how much I loved my Blackarachnia figure, even thought I was very jealous of my friend's big Cheetor).

But I think I'm getting a bit off topic now...
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564481)
Posted by Dr Va'al on April 11th, 2014 @ 12:10pm CDT
Windblade #1 hits next week! :D

Preview will go up on Tuesday, there's a teaser here.

And I've read my review copy today. It's definitely worth picking up. *nods head vigorously*
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564482)
Posted by Maerviska on April 11th, 2014 @ 12:22pm CDT
Next week!? B-but... I'm not ready! Hahahaha!
I really hope it's coming out next week in Canada too, and that my local store will have it. I just looked at the teaser and I love how it's drawn!
Can't wait now.
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564483)
Posted by ScottyP on April 11th, 2014 @ 12:22pm CDT
Va'al wrote:Windblade #1 hits next week! :D

Preview will go up on Tuesday, there's a teaser here.

Seconded. It's really good. Y'all aren't ready for this one page, too much cool. I'll be buying a couple physical copies next week for sure.
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564492)
Posted by Dr Va'al on April 11th, 2014 @ 1:10pm CDT
Maerviska wrote:Next week!? B-but... I'm not ready! Hahahaha!
Can't wait now.

It's definitely out in Canada, but I can't say your local store will have it for sure. Check with them in advance, ask them to put one aside for you!
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564494)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 11th, 2014 @ 1:12pm CDT
I really, really, really need to get into the comics. Not including the ones that come with Generations figures.
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564496)
Posted by Maerviska on April 11th, 2014 @ 1:14pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
Maerviska wrote:Next week!? B-but... I'm not ready! Hahahaha!
Can't wait now.

Will do!
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1564573)
Posted by Maerviska on April 11th, 2014 @ 7:36pm CDT
And done.
Now I'm really excited. Wednesday cannot come too fast.
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1565193)
Posted by Dr Va'al on April 14th, 2014 @ 1:00pm CDT
Courtesy of the amazing people over at IDW Publishing, we have a one-image teaser for this week's release in Transformers comics - the much talked about Windblade #1! Check out the image, featuring a shot of bartending Blurr by Sarah Stone, below, and head back here tomorrow for a full preview of the comic, and Wednesday for the Seibertron.com review.

Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1565198)
Posted by Dr Va'al on April 14th, 2014 @ 1:07pm CDT
And another, from the IDW Publishing Facebook page:

And one from TFW2005.

And TFormers!

The Underbase got Ironhide.

And last one, from the Transmission podcast:

Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1565209)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on April 14th, 2014 @ 1:32pm CDT
Seems like everybody got one individual teaser interesting >:oP
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1565212)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 14th, 2014 @ 1:34pm CDT
The TFormers pic is broken since that site forbids hotlinking.

Also, here's a new preview - http://www.newsarama.com/20829-idw-debut-previews-star-mage-1-windblade-1-extended-look.html
Re: Mairghread Scott & Sarah Stone Talk IDW’s Transformers: Windblade (1565214)
Posted by Dr Va'al on April 14th, 2014 @ 1:37pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:The TFormers pic is broken since that site forbids hotlinking.

Yeah already fixed that, thanks. :D

And we have our own preview (ready since Friday, embargoed until tonight at midnight).

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers G1 Wheeljack BOX repro (empty) ko reproduction - Time Remaining: 4 days 11 hours 10 minutes 19 seconds
Transformers RID Classics ULTRA MAGNUS Robots In Disguise 2001 Figure - Time Remaining: 3 days 22 hours 46 minutes 26 seconds
Transformers Prime RID Ultra Magnus Figure Hasbro 2012 - Time Remaining: 4 days 19 hours 39 minutes 48 seconds
Custom Transformers ROTF Optimus Prime - Time Remaining: 4 days 8 hours 25 minutes 50 seconds
Transformers RID Mini-Con Deployers Decepticon Fracture & Airazor 6" Robots New - Time Remaining: 5 days 22 hours 43 minutes 31 seconds
Transformers Robots In Disguise Mini-Con Deployers Autobot Drift & JetStorm New - Time Remaining: 1 day 13 hours 13 minutes 27 seconds
Transformers G2 Blue GRIMLOCK Figure Generation Two Hasbro Dinobot - Time Remaining: 3 days 16 hours 16 minutes 54 seconds
Transformers G1 GRIMLOCK Figure Generation One Hasbro Dinobot - Time Remaining: 3 days 14 hours 35 minutes 36 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #151 - SDCC 2016