Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director

Transformers News: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director

Tuesday, July 8th, 2014 6:22AM CDT

Categories: Movie News, People News
Posted by: Autobot032   Views: 20,200

Courtesy of Nelson, over at MichaelBay.com, we now have confirmation that not only has the Transformers franchise helped Michael become the second highest grossing director, but his highest grossing film? Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen!

This is big news, because Bay's box office take has surpassed the likes of George Lucas, Ron Howard, Tim Burton and even James Cameron! See for yourself, below:

Nelson here…
This past weekend Michael Bay became the second-highest-grossing director of all time. Congratulations Michael.
Chart courtesy of Box Office Mojo.

And who happens to be number one? Transformers producer Stephen Spielberg!

Transformers News: Michael Bay Second Highest Grossing Director

Michael Bay is widely known as being one of the hardest working directors out there (quite possibly the number one, his work ethic is extreme) and his hard work has paid off. Seibertron.com would like to congratulate Michael Bay on this success and wish him the best.

Credit(s): MichaelBay.com, Box Office Mojo

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588642)
Posted by Deadput on July 8th, 2014 @ 6:37am CDT
Not surprised one bit and before long he will become top.

and also the top two highest grossing directors were involved with the transformer franchise.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588644)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 8th, 2014 @ 6:52am CDT
mirageandjazz1197 wrote:Not surprised one bit and before long he will become top.

Not with the sequels to Avatar coming out in the next few years. Cameron will not only pass Bay, but will most likely pass Spielberg as well. And I'm not saying this because I hate Bay or anything. I actually like all his movies except Pearl Harbor and Pain & Gain. I also don't like James Cameron much, and he is #3 because most of his take comes from Titanic and Avatar. Titanic I didn't care for, and I have never seen Avatar, nor do I plan on seeing the sequels. I'm just saying, considering the massive box office Avatar made, unless the sequels absolutely suck, they will bring in $2 billion among them, thus passing Bay and Spielberg. The next TF movies will certainly boost Bay's status, but not enough to pass either of those 2 once things are said and done. Bay will wind up #3 on this list, but that's not bad at all. He'll probably still finish with over $4 billion, whereas Spielberg might squeeze out another $1 billion and Cameron will definitely hit $5 billion. I'm also waiting to see where Joss Whedon ends up on this list after the Avengers sequels.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588646)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 8th, 2014 @ 7:16am CDT

Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588648)
Posted by dalekslayer96 on July 8th, 2014 @ 7:23am CDT
Autobot032 wrote:Age Of Extinction has dominated the box office and continues to do so, with it's current worldwide tally at $576,295,954. With numbers like this, it's no surprise that Bay has become a bankable director, but until now, we had no idea just how bankable.

[quote]Nelson here…
Chart courtesy of Box Office Mojo.

And who happens to be number one? Transformers producer Stephen Spielberg!

Keep your optics tuned to Seibertron.com for the latest in news and updates, plus the best galleries around![/quote]

Wow. I didn't even know Michael Bay had surpassed so many awesome directors. Now it's Spielberg vs. Bay!
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588649)
Posted by RhA on July 8th, 2014 @ 7:31am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:That is an impressive feat, but I agree with Rodimus Prime, Cameron will take over with avatars sequels, and maybe, just maybe, Battle Angel Antina if he ever follows through on it.

That Alita movie. Dear geebus, make it happen.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588650)
Posted by Burn on July 8th, 2014 @ 7:34am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Rodimus, you didn't miss anything by not seeing Avatar, it's like Pocahontas...Just in space. I found it to be very predictable.

I found it INCREDIBLY boring to the point I stopped it a number of times and took breaks before I fell asleep.

Never understood the appeal of it. Sure I only watched the 2D DVD version, and sure, maybe the 3D effects in the cinemas were awesome, but it was still a bloody boring story.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588651)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 8th, 2014 @ 8:04am CDT

Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588657)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 8th, 2014 @ 8:28am CDT

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't like Pocahontas even when I was a kid...and Avatar never had any appeal to me either...
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588672)
Posted by Slashercon on July 8th, 2014 @ 9:15am CDT
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588675)
Posted by Sub-Prime on July 8th, 2014 @ 9:21am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:

You have done yourself a service by not seeing Avatar. It was the most boring movie I have ever experience. The last 15-20 minutes of the movie is ok but the movie is 3 hours long so it feels like a slow build up until 2hr:40min into the movie. I fell asleep twice.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588677)
Posted by paul053 on July 8th, 2014 @ 9:32am CDT
Burn wrote:

Same here. I saw both Titanic and Avatar and disliked them both. Don't even bother to watch the second time or even put my eyes on the DVD case. Really don't understand why they were so popular..... :???:

Congrats to Bay, although I'm still not a fan of him (but I still like his The Rock very much) ;).
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588678)
Posted by powersteamracing on July 8th, 2014 @ 9:36am CDT
So I saw it last night, and although I rarely post anything, thought I'd share my thoughts.

I'm.....not sure if I liked it. I mean, I liked it, but I'm starting to think the formula is getting tired.

It seems like every movie has the same formula:

1. Every movie has some magical item that they are chasing (Cube, Matrix, Space Bridge, Seed)
2. Every movie seems to connect the transformers to our past somehow (Cube/Megatron gave us technology, Matrix hidden on earth and fallen's weapon hidden in pyramids, transformers crashing on moon is reason we went to the moon, and now transformers (or their creators) are responsible for killing the dinosaurs.)
3. Every movie has the main villan killed off (Megatron, Fallen, Megatron again/sentinnel prime, Lockdown)
4. Humans are acting way too comfortably around giant robots
5. Humans always seem to be the difference between the Autobots winning or losing.

Also there were some smaller things never explained that seems to be a trend in each movie. This one as the Dinobots. So.......... Prime is what, a knight of some kind. He says something to that affect when he withdraws the sword. So he's now a Prime and a Knight? And how do the Dinobots have the Dinosaur alt forms. I guess I'm to assume that they came to earth at one point. And how long has Lockdown had them upside-down in that ship, gotta think all that Energon flowing to the brain would hurt after a while.

Also, as much as I was glad that the action sequences were longer (seemed like damn near half the movie), by the end I was beaten. There's only so many times I can hear that loud bass sound when something explodes or falls. Near the end I couldn't tell if they just lowered the volume on the explosions so you could hear Hound, or if my brain got so numb that it started focusing on non-exploding sounds.

Also, 2 thoughts on the man made bots:

1. Is it just me or have they finally gotten so lazy that they don't care about these being "Transformers" anymore. Almost every robot mode seemed to only have hints of car parts on them. Hell on Lockdown only thing I noticed from the car was the manufacturer badge on his chest. Also the fact that they materialized inbetween forms really seemed lazy.

2. Maybe it's because I'm colorblind, but I didn't know Bee was fighting Stinger until he was holding Stinger's head.

I have other things that bothered me but I'll leave it at that for now. Now I did like some things:

Was nice to have a fresh human story, instead of boy loves infected lipped girl.

Although I don't like that Samurai bot is Samurai because Samurai, it was cool to see Drift as a Triple Changer.

I LOVED Crosshairs. Absolutely loved the Character.

I liked the reference to the quintessons. They didn't directly reference it, but the hand that you saw fire the seeds at the beginning, the weird ships, and the fact that they made Optimus, it's gotta be them. So it's nice to see that they (or whoever) will be in the next movie.

Had a great laugh at Ranbow dash becoming a gun.

When I heard that the prototype was called galvatron, I was a second away from abandoning the movie. The thought is Galvatron just being a drone made me sick. THANKFULLY, when they said he was made from Megatron I got renewed hope and ultimately loved this angle with galvatron/Megatron. Although I had to explain to my wife that he was probably able to survive dieing from DOTM because of dark Energon. I know he hacked the man made bots, but it looked like Dark Energon to me more than just a virus. Maybe that might be a plot point in one of the next movies.

The jokes were funny and no major toilet humour.

Loved Lockdown, although I did feel he wasn't as vicious as he could have been. Optimus seemed to get away rather easily.

Loved seeing Optimus finally upset with humans. Was nice to see that even Prime has his limits.

All in all I did like it, but there were a lot of things that kinda bugged me.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588679)
Posted by Sub-Prime on July 8th, 2014 @ 9:37am CDT
I rarely ever dislike a Micheal Bay film even though all of them have there issues

Bad Boy- 9/10 Will Smith & Martin Lawrence(Pure Comedy) + ACTION + A terrific Villain = recipe for success.

The Rock- 9/10 Entertaining throughout!

Armageddon- 8/10 I typically like Bruce Willis movies so this one was one of my faves from him.

Bad Boys 2- 9/10 Just like part 1 but the comedy and action is more bigger in a Bay fashion. I was entertained!

The Island- 9/10 I loved the concept of this film. One of Bay's very different films that somehow ended up having terrific action

Pearl Harbor- 5/10 I couldn't watch this all at once. Felt almost like Titanic. Long and boring.

Transformers- 9.5/10

Transformers 2- 9/10 I know lot of folks hate this movie but the annoying parts wasn't enough for me to hate the film. I'm not sensitive like most..lol

Transformers 3- 9.5/10 Loved it

Transformers 4- 10/10 It was everything I wanted from a Transformers film on Earth.

Pain & Gain- 7/10 It was ok for a based on a true story movie. I found it kinda exhausting at some points.

So Bay isn't perfect but one thing I realize about his films is that they are mostly lighthearted and fun. Not dark and full of depth in characters. I personally prefer fun over dark most of the times.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588682)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 8th, 2014 @ 9:50am CDT
powersteamracing wrote:Although I had to explain to my wife that he was probably able to survive dieing from DOTM because of dark Energon. I know he hacked the man made bots, but it looked like Dark Energon to me more than just a virus. Maybe that might be a plot point in one of the next movies.
So, you had to explain something by making something up? There was never any hint of Dark Energon existing in these movies, so no one should ever be thinking about Dark Energon when watching these movies.

Plus, Dark Energon is purple, not bright blue.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588683)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 8th, 2014 @ 9:50am CDT
Slashercon wrote:How to Train Your Dragon 2...an example of a superior film to something that is getting heaps of money. And I haven't even seen AOE yet. I KNOW that I'm gonna see and maybe possibly enjoy it.(I refuse to pay money for seeing it.) And seeing Bay pass up so many directors is a constant reminder of the shear ignorance of the world. (This is is also the most negative post I've ever had on seibertron.)

I think that's a little harsh. About the ignorance of the world I mean, people have seen this and loved it, getting their money's worth. People see what will interest them.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588699)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 8th, 2014 @ 10:24am CDT
Sub-Prime wrote:Rating Bay's movies.

OK, might as well throw in my 2 cents, since this is turning into a discussion on Bay's career. And why shouldn't it?

Bad Boys: 4/5. Great action, good story, good comedy.

The Rock: 5/5. 1 of my top 5 favorites of all time. It is what an action movie should be. Relentless pace, great effects, recognizable stars, some good comedy, and a believable story. Great movie. I will put it up against any action movie in history.

Armageddon: 3/5. A bloated version of The Rock, basically. I liked it well enough, there were enough comedic scenes, enough recognizable names, plenty of action, but the attempted drama, along with "Permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I have ever met." kinda threw it off for me. And I actually really like William Fichtner. Great actor.

Pearl Harbor: 2/5. I love historical films, especially war movies. This, however, was not a war movie. It was an attempted love story wrapped in explosions and death. Had the love triangle been either taken out or reduced, I would have enjoyed it much more. I always felt this was Bay's attempt at his version on Titanic. It just didn't work.

Bad Boys II: 4/5. Just a jacked-up version of the original. However, the freeway scene with all the cars being dropped is 1 of my favorite chase scenes ever, almost as good as the Hummer/Ferrari chase from The Rock.

The Island: 3/5. I always thought it was 1 of Bay's weaker movies, even though it had a good premise, and a pre-Marvel Scarlett Johanssen. (She was always fine, but in Avengers and Cap 2 she was just boner-inducing) I guess this is what happens when Bay attempts a movie with an actually clever story. It was good enough, but not great.

Transformers: 4/5. I liked everything about it, except the catering to the military. If that was reduced greatly, it would have been perfect.

Revenge of the Fallen: 2/5. Yeah, I thought this was on the level of Pearl Harbor. it was much of the same. An attempted "love story" amid explosions and giant alien robots. If the human stuff (drama and military) had been reduced, the action and TF story could have taken over, and it would have been better. Not much, but still better.

Dark of The Moon: 4/5. I loved this movie, it had the best TF story and action. What ruined it was once again too much military, and the total mistreatment of Shockwave and Megatron.

Pain & Gain: 2/5. Ugh. It had some funny moments and some action, but I never found it fun to watch, just OK. I was glad I didn't pay money to see it.

Age of Extinction: 3.5/5. Great TF story, great action, NO MILITARY, but still too much human drama despite the better acting, and it was just too long. If the human stuff got cut in half, this would have been 4.5/5. Here's hoping the improvement continues to TF5.

Through all these, it's no surprise Bay is almost synonymous with summer blockbuster. He pretty much owns the genre. The only other movies that can compete are Marvel's movies.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588700)
Posted by That_Guy on July 8th, 2014 @ 10:25am CDT

Side note - Anyone else keep getting Battle Cry stuck in their head? Great song.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588710)
Posted by SlyTF1 on July 8th, 2014 @ 11:02am CDT
That_Guy wrote:Finally saw it Thursday. Honestly thought it was better than the other three. You have to have a lot of sympathy with the Autobots constantly being hunted. If I were in Prime's shoes, I'd be the same exact way. Lockdown was probably the best villain so far. Would like to know how Megatron can d/l himself into a new body and have his memories still intact, as Prime stated the Spark is where their memories are stored. I may agree with a poster who said that when Sam killed Megatron the first time with the Allspark, mutating him in a way. Still, with some inconsistencies, I enjoyed the movie...and my orange fusion chicken (CineBistro in Tampa).

I've literally had it stuck in my head since I first heard it.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588712)
Posted by Noideaforaname on July 8th, 2014 @ 11:05am CDT
Further proof Movieverse isn't changing anytime soon.
Re: Michael Bay Named Second Highest Grossing Director (1588716)
Posted by Clunker on July 8th, 2014 @ 11:19am CDT
Isn't the next two movies being directed by someone else?

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Bumblebee Figure [B0907000] NEW - Time Remaining: 1 day 22 hours 9 minutes 47 seconds
Transformers Combiner Wars Cyclonus V/C Combiner /Galvatronus MIB! - Time Remaining: 2 days 1 hour 39 minutes 46 seconds
Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Blurr - Time Remaining: 29 days 14 hours 17 minutes 49 seconds
BNISP Transformers Toy Action Figure Prime Beast Hunters Starscream Decepticon - Time Remaining: 29 days 16 hours 49 minutes 32 seconds
Perfect Effect PE-12 AFX Assault Force X AKA Transformers G1 Reflector + MiniSFX - Time Remaining: 7 days 11 hours 39 minutes 25 seconds
1984 Hasbro Transformers Cassette Frenzy 100% Complete (Wear) Action Figure #2 - Time Remaining: 7 days 12 hours 16 minutes 22 seconds
Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG 19 Autobot Springer Action Figure - Time Remaining: 23 days 3 hours 34 minutes 34 seconds
Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer w/ Blurr - Time Remaining: 1 day 12 hours 39 minutes 21 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #153 - Last Knights of Cybertron
"Last Knights of Cybertron"
Posted: Monday, August 15th, 2016