MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS

Transformers News: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS

Tuesday, March 20th, 2012 12:15PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Sponsor News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 27,753

Site sponsor BigBadToyStore dropped by let us know they have listed the pre-order for Takara's MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm. The figure features the coronation kit and mold modifications from MP-11 Starscream Version 2.0. Priced at $249.99 (price has not been finalized, they're hoping it ends up being a bit lower) and estimated to arrive in August.

Credit(s): BBTS

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360370)
Posted by GuyIncognito on March 20th, 2012 @ 12:24pm CDT
$250? :lol:

Based on the reception that the announcement of this figure generated on this board, I'm guessing they'll be selling it at half that price by year's end.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360375)
Posted by Kung Fu Man on March 20th, 2012 @ 12:32pm CDT
Well I think it's safe to presume the "them trying to beat iGear at their own game" argument has gone out the window and hitched a ride to Vegas at this point.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360377)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on March 20th, 2012 @ 12:45pm CDT
I was looking forward to this. especially with the updated mold, but $250? F**k. That. I'll wait a year or 2 until it drops to $150 or below. I don't even care about the coronation kit, I just want the figure.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360378)
Posted by mattwhite924 on March 20th, 2012 @ 12:46pm CDT
The Starscream version at $160 was already pushing it. There's no way I would pay $250 for this.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360385)
Posted by G1 Legacy on March 20th, 2012 @ 1:14pm CDT
#-o D'oh
I wanna preface the following criticism by saying that I enjoyed and followed the DreamWave comics storyline several years ago when they were attempting to fleshout this charater and I was very frustrated that they were never able to wrap up and resolve that storyline before going bankrupt or whatever it was that caused them to go belly up.
But that being said, I'm not too impressed with this figure. First off the paint apps are a little distracting. Why is the bottom half of the figure a lighter shade of orange (praticly yellow) as opposed to the top portion? Thats not how he was portrayed in the comics (and lets face it, his comic appearance seems to be the most we have to go on thus far). I've yet to see a paint job that accuratly captures his metallic orange hugh in any official figure. The Botcon exclusive Hero's of Cybertron PVC figure is closer to it than this thing and thats sad. I've also seen customs that look better than this and more comic accurate.

Second, why does he include the cape and crown of Starscream's coronation? I mean yeah I get it, I know he's a repaint and all, but so are the other Seekers and they don't all come with the same gear. I mean the MP Skywarp add on crown/cape was funny a few years ago but that still doesn't seem to justify this. And yes, I'm aware that Sunstorm is a genetic clone of Screamer storyline wise and all but he certainly didn't mimic Starscreams behavior in his portrayal in the comics. He had more of an ordained mesianic napolean syndrom (with a kick ass light show for added measure) as opposed to Starscreams limited sociopathic tendancies and shallow grabs for power. So the addition of the cape and crown seem somehow out of place to me. Why couldn't they come up with a new unique gimmick to compliment Sunstorm.

And third, the price...ouch. This hobby is getting harder and harder to absorb in these financial times. I mean yeah I can afford it but I would feel like an idiot for spending that kind of cabbage on this as opposed to waiting for something more original and fun to come down the pipeline.

I don't know thats just my take, I have no doubt that there are those of you that'll disagree.
Meh, it's a pass for me.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360407)
Posted by sky_fire12 on March 20th, 2012 @ 1:49pm CDT
While i agree with everyone here about the price being ridiculous compared to MP-11, don't think these things get cheaper in the long run, when such toys get old they become rare and even more expensive.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360411)
Posted by zappatton2 on March 20th, 2012 @ 2:01pm CDT
I'll save my $$ for a new mold, Sideswipe, hopefully Soundwave. I haven't really seen a close-up of the new Sunstorm/Starscream face, but from afar it seems to have a slight Planet of the Apes quality.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360417)
Posted by El Duque on March 20th, 2012 @ 2:16pm CDT
G1 Legacy wrote:*And I bet that it's being produced in a more limited number than the Starscream version (El Duque?) making this the rarer of the two, hence the price. Seems like a blatant moneygrab, but then again, you could say that about this hobby as a whole these days lol.

Yes, this one is "limited" though I don't recall the actual production numbers. Lower than the general release MP-11 though.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360419)
Posted by AutobotMR2 on March 20th, 2012 @ 2:20pm CDT
GOODGODALMIGHTYINHEAVEN!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: Even if it is a "limited" run....i'll keep my $$ thank you. >:oP
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360423)
Posted by Prime Evil on March 20th, 2012 @ 2:25pm CDT
AAAAAAHHH no. >:oP
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360429)
Posted by kirbenvost on March 20th, 2012 @ 2:45pm CDT
lol, good thing I don't care about Sunstorm, because that price is ridiculous.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360431)
Posted by Vicalliose on March 20th, 2012 @ 2:52pm CDT
It would actually be nice if there was a feasible US release. But no, I have my doubts that Hasbro will even try seeing as we haven't heard jack about a US release of MP-10.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360436)
Posted by Anonymous on March 20th, 2012 @ 3:05pm CDT
The price has my "sleeper hit" sense tingling.

What if it comes with a throne and scepter? Why not - a preorder doesn't cost anything... until Aug.

>:oP
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360446)
Posted by prowl123 on March 20th, 2012 @ 3:48pm CDT
Will not be getting this. Make a new masterpiece for god's sake. There's only, like, four molds and like 20 masterpiece figures. Not cool.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360452)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 20th, 2012 @ 4:03pm CDT
While I know the price includes the e-Hobby mark-up and the expenses BBTS has to go through to get them from e-Hobby, the price is just too much for what it is.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360455)
Posted by Grahf on March 20th, 2012 @ 4:12pm CDT
As much as I love this character, this is just too much. It will be easier to track down one of the Wal Mart MP Skywarps and paint it myself.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360456)
Posted by jamiko on March 20th, 2012 @ 4:15pm CDT
More awesomeness I will NEVER own.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360490)
Posted by Stormrider on March 20th, 2012 @ 5:28pm CDT
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360505)
Posted by Fortress_Maximus on March 20th, 2012 @ 6:05pm CDT
What a joke! This is almost as bad as Yamato milking fans on the molds for Macross. PASS.
Re: MP-11S Masterpiece Sunstorm Listed for Pre-Order on BBTS (1360510)
Posted by amtm on March 20th, 2012 @ 6:28pm CDT
Man. I thought $250 was pushing it for MP-10, but for Sunstorm it's just crazy. I'd like a Starscream, but I'm still hesitant to pay $160 for it.