New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy

Transformers News: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy

Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 6:21AM CDT

Categories: Site News, Toy News, Site Articles
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 63,919

The vast seibertron.com galleries have assimilated the next batch of Transformers Prime figures and this time round it's the Japanese versions, also known as Arms Micron. Arms Micron stands for Targetmaster Mini-Cons since these versions of the toys feature Mini-Cons that are also Targetmasters! As is mostly the case with Japanese releases these versions feature a few differences from the Hasbro releases, the most obvious difference is the inclusion of the aforementioned Arms Microns. The Arms Microns come as easily assembled unpainted snap together kits you have to free from their sprues first.

Build Megatron's mighty Fusion Cannon, then put stickers on it, and then reenact your favourite King Kong scene!

These Arms Microns also come at a cost though, they are designed to resemble the characters weaponry in atl-mode and as such replace the weapons that come with the Hasbro releases, the figures themselves also feature new Mini-Con ports on the alt and bot-modes, these can be rather annoying to some.

Another difference are the paint-apps, or rather the lack thereof. Contrary to TakraTomys usual reputation amongst the fandom, these figures feature even less paint than the Hasbro releases and instead rely on stickers you have to apply yourself just like with G1 toys - from the 80s. Best or worst example which ever you prefer is Ratchet, who without stickers is just a mass of white plastic, some gray plastic and a teeny tiny bit of paint.

"Who says stickers are an obsolete technology?"

The galleries each feature a few images of the figures the way they look out of the box, and without their stickers applied.

"Photographer not included!"

Of special interest in this line is Skywarp, a repaint of the First Edition deluxe class Starscream. It's not the fact that the Mini-Con ports make him look even more different from Starscream, no it's the fact that he's as of yet a Japanese exclusive character and may not be released by Hasbro. We're also glad to report that even without stickers he looks rather excellent.

Sould you want to read his bio, just click here!

So take a look at the galleries by clicking the links or the photo samples below!

Skywarp (Deluxe Class)

Bulo (Microns)

Megatron (Deluxe Class)

Gora (Microns)
Arms Micron

Optimus Prime (Voyager Class)

O.P. (Microns)

Ratchet (Deluxe Class)

R.A. (Microns)

Bumblebee (Deluxe Class)

B.2. (Microns)

Cliffjumper (Deluxe Class)

C.L. (Microns)

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367614)
Posted by gothsaurus on April 10th, 2012 @ 9:50am CDT
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367617)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 10th, 2012 @ 9:55am CDT
The moment of truth has arrived.

In this case, there is no comparison. Hasbro clearly won out this time.

The only Takara advantages I can see are the dark blue plastic used on Optimus:

And the specific gray plastic used on Megatron:

Though, I can't quite tell which version of the two First Editions on AM Megatron's left and right is which. Is Hasbro's on the left and Takara's on the right (from the viewer's perspective, not AM Megatron's), or vice-versa?

Also, while we know that the Super Combo Weapon formed by O.P., B2, and R.A. is called the Star Saber, do any of the other Super Combo Weapon combinations (like the one with Gora and Bulo) have any of their own names?
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367622)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 10th, 2012 @ 9:58am CDT
gothsaurus wrote:It's so funny. The stickers really shocked me.... left me put off and feeling like I was getting shorted. Then I started thinking back to G1. Putting on stickers was one of my favorite things to do in the known universe. Most exciting part of getting the toy. I gotta get back into that mindset.

You can also think it this way: you can either put the stickers on as intended (I plan to with the Arms Micron I get) or you can be bold and try painting the figures yourself.
Now that I think about it, could TakaraTomy be trying to tap into the model builders market with these?

And no further Super Combo weapons are known yet, but that may change with the next few waves.
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367629)
Posted by gothsaurus on April 10th, 2012 @ 10:05am CDT
Yeah, some of those solid red areas on Ratchet... or the black stripes on Bee. Nice idea to paint 'em. :-D
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367639)
Posted by AutobotMR2 on April 10th, 2012 @ 10:19am CDT
God, I just want those minicons! B.B's and Cliffjumper's are may favorites so far!
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367641)
Posted by gothsaurus on April 10th, 2012 @ 10:25am CDT
Yeah, same here. I'm more interested in the minicons. Wish they showed up over here as capsule toys or something. I know... I'm dreamin'.
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367646)
Posted by Seibertron on April 10th, 2012 @ 10:37am CDT

Same here. While most of the stickers were fun to apply, the issue I had with some of them is that stickers aren't really meant to be applied on non-flat surfaces. If you look at the stickers on Ratchet's upper chest near his neck, you'll see that the stickers just end up being wrinkled. I tried and tried and tried to get those stickers to lay 100% flat, but they wouldn't because of the curved surfaces. The nice part about stickers on G1 figures is that the stickers are almost always applied to flat surfaces. I think the most difficult stickers to apply, until you get good at it, are the abdomen stickers on the G1 Seekers, as well as their eye stickers. But even those work just fine once you get good at applying them.
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367647)
Posted by Seibertron on April 10th, 2012 @ 10:39am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:And the specific gray plastic used on Megatron:

Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367653)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 10th, 2012 @ 10:47am CDT
Seibertron wrote:From your left to right: Hasbro's First Edition Megatron, Arms Micron Megatron, and Takara Tomy's First Edition Megatron. I completed the Takara Tomy FE Megatron gallery as well, but won't be posting it until later down the road when I get Hasbro's Cliffjumper and Takara Tomy's Arcee galleries completed. For the record, Takara Tomy's FE Megatron is almost a yellowed grey ... it is NOT the same color as the TFP RID Voyager Megatron, which is far more grey.
Thanks, man.

Now, what of the Super Combo Weapons? Is the Star Saber the only named one, or do the other combinations have names too? Like, in the instructions or something?
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367659)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 10th, 2012 @ 10:52am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Thanks, man.

Like I said, the Star Saber, is the only one named. Best wait for the release of the other toys.
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367664)
Posted by Seibertron on April 10th, 2012 @ 11:07am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Thanks, man.

Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367671)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 10th, 2012 @ 11:19am CDT
Seibertron wrote:I have no idea since there's nothing in English in the instructions. Hopefully you can shed some light on it for us.
'Tis okay. JelZe GoldRabbit just pointed out that the Star Saber's the only named one thus far.

Still, I wish at least the Decepticon one had a name.
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367798)
Posted by Grimlock1979 on April 10th, 2012 @ 4:27pm CDT
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367807)
Posted by Anonymous. on April 10th, 2012 @ 4:48pm CDT
Grimlock1979 wrote:Ok... what the heck is THIS? Were is the paint quality from Takara Tomy? who will buy this crap? Hasbro killed transformers prime with new RiD molds and Takara too with stickers and building tools... Transformers Prime Toys are finished! :BOOM: :michaelbay:

[color=teal]
Far from killed. It's unfortunate that not all FE figures had bad distribution, but it's not like those molds aren't going to get released in alternate colors in the near future.

The difference between FE and RID, there are cartoon model aesthetics that both FE and RID do well, it's a matter of give and take.

I love how everyone is antagonizing stickers, but that's what was essential back in G1, a line that everyone loves, and it's something that's 'new' to modern Transformers. Kit making, taking plastic off sprues and putting things together is the niche of Japanese toy collecting. There's nothing wrong with what Takara is trying to do here. .
[/color]
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367811)
Posted by BeastProwl on April 10th, 2012 @ 4:57pm CDT
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367812)
Posted by Anonymous. on April 10th, 2012 @ 5:00pm CDT
BeastProwl wrote:I can't find a pic of the Arms Micron Star Sabre anywere. can someone post a pic? I looked into the gallery briefly and I did'nt see it.

Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367814)
Posted by Seibertron on April 10th, 2012 @ 5:02pm CDT

It's in Optimus Prime's gallery. You can view additional pictures by clicking here or on the image below.

Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367819)
Posted by Seibertron on April 10th, 2012 @ 5:14pm CDT
Blurrz wrote:

[color=teal]

[/color]

I agree with Blurr. I have to give Takara Tomy credit for doing some very different things with this line than what we are used to as Transformers fans. It's also great that they gave us something different than what Hasbro has done. I like Hasbro's approach better, but can appreciate what Takara Tomy is doing as well.

I enjoyed applying the stickers on newer toys. Applying stickers to G1 toys has been one of my favorite parts of this hobby ever since I was a kid. I have fond memories of my mother helping me put the stickers on my Transformers (particularly the Constructicons and Jetfire come to mind).

These galleries are some of the first where you can see the stickers applied properly and make the toys look great. Previous photos of these toys with their stickers applied poorly really become a challenge to me to show everyone how to do these right.

Much to my surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed putting the Microns together. Model kits are definitely not my forte. Haven't put one together in 25 years. Those of you who purchase these items, please use caution when putting the Microns together. I made a mistake with Bulo, which caused stress marks which lead to breakage with one of his upper leg joint pieces because I removed the legs after attaching them. Had to buy a 2nd Skywarp so that I could have one good Bulo.

If you don't like the Arms Micron line, well, head on down to your local big box store because you should be able to get the very different take from Hasbro in plentiful supplies.
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367901)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on April 11th, 2012 @ 12:14am CDT
normally they have the better looking figures but compared to hasbros theres not much difference, just look at cliffjumer their version looks like its made out of cheap plastic just like the US counterpart. Brining back stickers is a great idea though, dont have to worry about crappy paint apps or paint defects. The minicons i could take or leave, i like the idea of bringing back target masters but half of these guys just look really bad but the other half are pure awesome. Speaking of quality is the plastic used for these as cheap and flimsy as the hasbro versions?
Re: New Galleries: Japanese Transformers Prime Arms Micron from Takara Tomy (1367914)
Posted by Dead Metal on April 11th, 2012 @ 2:39am CDT
Blurrz wrote:

[color=teal]
[/color]

That was the 80s and not everyone loves G1, I for instance don't like them and I've never liked the stickers, even back then.
You know what else was once the norm in Transformers toys? No articulation, shoddy details, bad proportions 0 screen accuracy, want that back too?

The only thing I like about these are the kit mini-cons, mostly because I like building stuff.

The whole Prime line is lost on me, both Hasbro and Takara, which sucks because I wanted to like them. But overall Hasbro has the better offering for Prime.

Ending Soon On eBay

ART FEATHER AF Transformers G1 Bumblebee Beetle GOLDBUG G1 ANIMATION VER.NEW - Time Remaining: 6 days 17 hours 4 minutes 47 seconds
SDCC TRANSFORMERS TITANS RETURN FORTRESS MAXIMUS SWORD EXCLUSIVE NEW IN BOX - Time Remaining: 2 days 9 hours 22 minutes 57 seconds
Transformers Generations Leo Prime Legends Class - Time Remaining: 7 days 2 hours 54 minutes 13 seconds
Transformers Classics Sons of Cybertron Optimus Prime Rodimus MISB US Seller - Time Remaining: 8 days 4 hours 54 minutes 23 seconds
Transformers Kre-o Beast Blade Optimus Prime 251 Pieces A2203 - Time Remaining: 1 day 13 hours 39 minutes 28 seconds
Transformers Animated Clear Red Optimus Prime EZ Collection TRU Exclusive - Time Remaining: 6 days 23 hours 54 minutes 30 seconds
Transformers Dark of the Moon Optimus Prime Ratchet Vs Crankcase MISB - Time Remaining: 29 days 14 hours 24 minutes 24 seconds
Transformers Cybertron Primus Unleashed Ape Optimus Prime - Time Remaining: 29 days 5 hours 24 minutes 26 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #153 - Last Knights of Cybertron
"Last Knights of Cybertron"
Posted: Monday, August 15th, 2016