New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper

Transformers News: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper

Saturday, July 13th, 2013 12:54PM CDT

Categories: Site News, Toy News
Posted by: Dr Va'al   Views: 22,693

After yesterday's teaser which detailed the unboxing of SDCC 2013 Metroplex, we can finally show you the full galleries for the SDCC exclusive Metroplex with Scamper figures! Click on any image below to view the whole lot. For further information about this item, please click here to read our news story from yesterday.

San Diego Comic-Con Exclusives Metroplex

San Diego Comic-Con Exclusives Scamper

New Galleries: SDCC 2013 exclusive Metroplex with Scamper
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1502934)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 13th, 2013 @ 12:57pm CDT
I like how there's virtually no discernible differences between regular-retail Scamper and SDCC Scamper. :lol:

Yeah, only differences I can pick up between the two is that SDCC Metroplex has shinier stickers and has his thighs and face chromed. Other than that, there doesn't really appear to be much difference from the paint apps.

Still bummed that regular-retail Metroplex doesn't have the extra gun like he should have, but it's a much cheaper alternative to SDCC.
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1502942)
Posted by Mkall on July 13th, 2013 @ 1:25pm CDT
I love the shot with the Popsicle!

Great gallery Seibs! Will you be displaying this behemoth somewhere in your house?
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1502994)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 13th, 2013 @ 8:49pm CDT
Mkall wrote:I love the shot with the Popsicle!
Ha! :lol: I didn't realize it at first, but that Popsicle is Gari Robo-kun. :APPLAUSE:
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503017)
Posted by Crosscheck on July 13th, 2013 @ 10:37pm CDT
Wow, he really doesn't seem to have been designed with that second rifle in mind. Besides the robot mode, it always looks tacked on and horrible.
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503024)
Posted by Flux Convoy on July 14th, 2013 @ 12:11am CDT
:BOT:
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503125)
Posted by Seibertron on July 14th, 2013 @ 1:01pm CDT
Flux Convoy wrote:Are there any different voice clips between the two releases? I love the look of the metallic stickers. Now for Takara to finally show theirs off including voice clips. I'd really like to make a final decision on one soon.
:BOT:

Just double checked for you ... the voice clips are identical in both.
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503126)
Posted by Seibertron on July 14th, 2013 @ 1:02pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Mkall wrote:I love the shot with the Popsicle!

I finally got one at a decent price ($30 shipped) and it arrived the same day as my the big box from Hasbro. Thought it'd be fun to have a few pics since I already did the Metroplex walking Trypticon with a dog leash pics in the last gallery.
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503127)
Posted by Seibertron on July 14th, 2013 @ 1:07pm CDT
Due to several requests, I have updated SDCC 2013 Metroplex's gallery with new pictures comparing the size of the SDCC box with the retail Generations Metroplex box. I also added a picture at the end of each SDCC gallery showing all of this year's SDCC Transformers exclusives together (excluding the G.I. JOE and the Transformers set which I will pick up next week at SDCC). Here are the new pictures to demonstrate just how big the SDCC version's box is, which measures approximately 27" x 22" x 8" versus the retail box which measures approximately 24" x 14" x 6" (give or take a 1/4 of an inch here and there).

FYI ... the Shockwave's Laboratory set featuring Voyager Class Shockwave and Commander Class Predaking will be posted later today.

Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503130)
Posted by Trikeboy on July 14th, 2013 @ 1:32pm CDT
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503131)
Posted by Seibertron on July 14th, 2013 @ 1:36pm CDT
One last request fulfilled ... this time I pulled out my G1 Decoys to provide comparisons of them to the new "Decoy" like mini-figures that are included with SDCC 2013 Metroplex. Check out the following pictures of Megatron, Starscream, Orion Pax, Bumblebee, Hoist, and Trailcutter alongside their G1 Decoy counterparts.

Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503134)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 14th, 2013 @ 1:43pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:Check out the following pictures of Megatron, Starscream, Orion Pax, Bumblebee, Hoist, and Trailcutter alongside their G1 Decoy counterparts.

I think that's very probably supposed to be Thundercracker instead of Starscream since the rest of the mini-figures are all based on the Thrilling 30 Wave 1 and 2 Deluxes, which Thundercracker (but not Starscream) was a part of. ;)
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503137)
Posted by Seibertron on July 14th, 2013 @ 1:45pm CDT
Trikeboy wrote:Hey, Seibertron, if you can only get one version of this toy, which would you recommend?

I have to go with the retail version of these two. The chrome is nice, and I'm very happy to have it in my collection, but for a regular budget-minded collector I don't think it's worth at least an extra 50 bucks for chromed upper legs and a face and an extra big red gun with a missile, that I feel were really tacked on (I can't figure out where the extra weapon is supposed to attach in vehicle and city modes).

I also had a lot of problems with the stickers on the SDCC version, which kind of soured my experience with him a little bit. The stickers would "cling" to the toy as soon as you get them close, I'm assuming because of their chrome foil nature. I don't recall having that much difficulty with the retail version's regular stickers. Because the stickers kept clinging, I feel like I had a much more difficult time to apply the stickers. It took me about 1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hours to put all of the stickers on. I don't recall it taking that long on the regular retail version. That one might have taken me an hour or so, but the SDCC version definitely took longer because of all the problems I kept having with the stickers not lining up properly. I even managed to damage two of the stickers.
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503139)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on July 14th, 2013 @ 1:48pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

I think that's supposed to be Thundercracker instead of Starscream since the rest of the mini-figures are all based on the Thrilling 30 Wave 1 and 2 Deluxes, which Thundercracker (but not Starscream) was a part of. ;)

He already knows, Sabrblade. :) But how would you be able to tell single-colored Seekers apart aside from looking at their number (Starcream is #35, Thundercracker is #34 and Skywarp is #33)? Besides, the design is the same so any Seeker would do for comparisons. ;)
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503140)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 14th, 2013 @ 1:52pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:He already knows, Sabrblade. :)
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503142)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 14th, 2013 @ 1:58pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:(I can't figure out where the extra weapon is supposed to attach in vehicle and city modes).
Hope this can help. Here are some photos from the Tokyo Toy show of how Takara managed to fit both guns on their version:

Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503147)
Posted by Seibertron on July 14th, 2013 @ 2:51pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Thanks for catching that. I had said yesterday that the mini-figure was supposed to theoretically represent Thundercracker, since the other 5 are part of the IDW Generations comic-packed wave. Slipped my mind today while I was pulling out these decoys. I updated the pics to show the "Thundercracker" decoy instead. Just force a refresh and you'll see the new pictures.

Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503148)
Posted by KirbyForce1 on July 14th, 2013 @ 2:56pm CDT
That's Thundercracker.

Trust me. I'm a doctor. :D
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503151)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 14th, 2013 @ 3:00pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out how to get the gun to attach like it does in those pictures. I'm not having any luck yet.
A thought just occurred to me. What if Takara's remolded new ports for the guns to attach to? I'd hope not. :-s
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503153)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on July 14th, 2013 @ 3:07pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

Then the retooling should have been carried over into the SDCC one, since it would be considered an "update" of the mold. But Hasbro has messed up in the past...
Re: New Galleries: SDCC 2013 Metroplex and Scamper (1503157)
Posted by Seibertron on July 14th, 2013 @ 3:24pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

Alright, I figured out where the red gun attaches in city mode. One of the gray guns attaches to the red gun. How it attaches is really weak. If you bump into it, it falls off. Works for pics though!

On to battle station vehicle mode ...

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Robots in Disguise 3 Step Changers Autobot Drift Figure New - Time Remaining: 2 days 17 hours 54 minutes 48 seconds
Platinum Soundwave Transformers Generations Edition Year of the Goat 2015 - Time Remaining: 2 days 12 hours 41 minutes 11 seconds
instock ! Transformers Masterpiece MP-18 BlueStreak Figure G1 KO! - Time Remaining: 9 days 2 hours 42 minutes 7 seconds
HASBRO Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager Autobots Optimus Prime Silverbolt sale - Time Remaining: 2 days 20 hours 13 minutes 53 seconds
KT Transformers G1 Thrust Starscream Dirge Sunstrom Thundercracker Ramjet Boxset - Time Remaining: 1 day 13 hours 59 minutes 1 second
Decepticon Legends Class Transformers COMBINER WARS Shockwave Generations G1 MOC - Time Remaining: 2 days 20 hours 14 minutes 15 seconds
TRANSFORMERS MOVIE DARK OF THE MOON ULTIMATE OPTIMUS PRIME POWER-UP RAILER MODE - Time Remaining: 2 days 4 hours 29 minutes 18 seconds
Takasa Tony Transformers Masterpiece C MP-17 Prowl KO version! - Time Remaining: 9 days 2 hours 45 minutes 22 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #148 - And Rom The Space Knight
"And Rom The Space Knight"
Posted: Monday, June 27th, 2016