Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus

Transformers News: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus

Sunday, August 10th, 2014 11:57AM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 26,094

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Once again from the CYBERGEEKS Alliance Facebook page, we have scans from Transformers Generations 2014 Volume 2 that give us new looks at Takara Tomy's Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus. Quite a bit of good info in these images. We get a full 360 degree look at the figure in full color, size comparison with Masterpiece Rodimus, transformation sequence, Spike and Daniel mini figures, and his alternate faces. Enjoy the images mirrored below:

Transformers News: Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus Discussion

Transformers News: Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus Discussion

Transformers News: Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus Discussion

Transformers News: Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus Discussion

Transformers News: Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus Discussion

Transformers News: Re: Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus Discussion
Credit(s): CYBERGEEKS Alliance
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598198)
Posted by The Grim King on August 10th, 2014 @ 12:05pm CDT
Still not pleased that the cab is attached to the trailer; as amazing as it looks transformed. It doesn't feel accurate because it's not a separate transformer and armor set.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598201)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on August 10th, 2014 @ 12:14pm CDT
The Grim King wrote:Still not pleased that the cab is attached to the trailer; as amazing as it looks transformed. It doesn't feel accurate because it's not a separate transformer and armor set.


That's because they went for cartoon-accuracy. Ultra Magnus never appeared in his white Prime-looking robot mode despite the toy having one. (considering Prime was killed off, a good decision). The cab does separate, but that's it.

And I do hope the red bumper isn't final. At least cover it in chrome if they can't change the plastic color layout.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598207)
Posted by padfoo on August 10th, 2014 @ 12:26pm CDT
I love the overall look of the figure and the way it transforms. I just cannot get over the way he looks from behind though. He is too much of a rectangle/chunky when viewed from the back.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598224)
Posted by FracturedKoi on August 10th, 2014 @ 1:45pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
The Grim King wrote:Still not pleased that the cab is attached to the trailer; as amazing as it looks transformed. It doesn't feel accurate because it's not a separate transformer and armor set.


That's because they went for cartoon-accuracy. Ultra Magnus never appeared in his white Prime-looking robot mode despite the toy having one. (considering Prime was killed off, a good decision). The cab does separate, but that's it.

And I do hope the red bumper isn't final. At least cover it in chrome if they can't change the plastic color layout.


The red bumper is final because, as you said, they went for cartoon-accuracy. I don't much care for it either, but it is what it is.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598253)
Posted by Stormrider on August 10th, 2014 @ 4:03pm CDT
I can't stand the colors that they used for the lower legs. Personally, I would have preferred a solid blue. But any solid color would have satisfied me. The alt mode trailer bed looks like a hodge-podge of colors right now.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598264)
Posted by tfgeek4life on August 10th, 2014 @ 4:49pm CDT
100.01% satisfied with the end result. I'm in love with everything about this, got to remember with what they had to work with to make this as animation accurate as possible. And yes, that means the red bumper, I have no problem with that. Cannot wait for this, Wheeljack, and Bumblebee!
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598271)
Posted by DMSL on August 10th, 2014 @ 5:32pm CDT
I am really confused now.

First they showed him with blue lower inner legs.

Then they showed them being red.

Now they are showing him in these pictures with both and one version that seems to have blue paint covering red plastic.

So what will it be Takara? I really hope it will be blue plastic, the red looks terrible.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598274)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 10th, 2014 @ 5:38pm CDT
DMSL wrote:I am really confused now.

First they showed him with blue lower inner legs.
When did they do that? All of the earliest colored pics of MP Ultra Magnus showed him with red lower inner legs. It's only now that we see him with blue ones.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598277)
Posted by Agamemnon on August 10th, 2014 @ 5:55pm CDT
DMSL wrote:I am really confused now.

First they showed him with blue lower inner legs.

Then they showed them being red.

Now they are showing him in these pictures with both and one version that seems to have blue paint covering red plastic.

So what will it be Takara? I really hope it will be blue plastic, the red looks terrible.

I'm guessing, and this is only a guess, that we'll see red plastic lower legs with blue paint in order to give us blue lower legs in bot mode and a red surface to the lower car carrier section of the trailer. This would most closely match the animation in each mode, if I remember correctly...
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598297)
Posted by Hammer on August 10th, 2014 @ 7:54pm CDT
FracturedKoi wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
The Grim King wrote:Still not pleased that the cab is attached to the trailer; as amazing as it looks transformed. It doesn't feel accurate because it's not a separate transformer and armor set.


That's because they went for cartoon-accuracy. Ultra Magnus never appeared in his white Prime-looking robot mode despite the toy having one. (considering Prime was killed off, a good decision). The cab does separate, but that's it.

And I do hope the red bumper isn't final. At least cover it in chrome if they can't change the plastic color layout.


The red bumper is final because, as you said, they went for cartoon-accuracy. I don't much care for it either, but it is what it is.


I think after all these years of seeing the toy bumpers, i can understand the :???: moments when the cartoon accurate red is presented.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598309)
Posted by Delta Magnus on August 10th, 2014 @ 9:23pm CDT
He looks awesome, and I'm impressed they managed to make it so cartoon-accurate (with no partsforming to boot!) but I'm worried he's gonna be a bit of a brick. I don't think those shoulders have any outward motion.

EDIT: Disregard that, just seen the other photos. Derp.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598310)
Posted by megatronus on August 10th, 2014 @ 9:29pm CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:He looks awesome, and I'm impressed they managed to make it so cartoon-accurate (with no partsforming to boot!) but I'm worried he's gonna be a bit of a brick. I don't think those shoulders have any outward motion.

I'm not sure I can really blame them though, considering the totally impractical source material (which if they had diverged from in any way, even for practicality's sake, would have gotten them ripped apart by GEEWUNNERS).

I'm not what you would call a GEEWUNNER, but you seem to have a lot of derision for them.

I would ask you to stop using the term, which, when you use it, seems more of a derogatory slur than anything else. It's getting old.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598322)
Posted by Samsonator on August 10th, 2014 @ 10:59pm CDT
Man, f**k this toy.

Cartoon accuracy blending with toy accuracy has always been the MO for the MP line, but usually it's handled better than this. Show accuracy be damned, a so-called Masterpiece should definitely have worked in a transforming cab, because it's something very integral to Ultra Magnus. They never show it in the cartoon, but we all know it's there. Instead they give it a nod with a face underneath his face that looks like a robot abortion, and is the wrong colours to boot. As a toy, I think it's very well done, the robot mode looks fantastic, the vehicle mode looks appropriate, but as a Masterpiece, I feel it falls short of the mark.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598335)
Posted by megatronus on August 11th, 2014 @ 12:25am CDT
Samsonator wrote:robot abortion


:shock:
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598362)
Posted by frogbat on August 11th, 2014 @ 7:35am CDT
yeah the red on the cab took me back a bit cos usually it's parts that are chrome. Took me a while to realise it was cos that's how he appeared on the show, however his bumper was a bit shorter so it was less obvious i guess.

really like him, but after sideswipe and smokescreen being so great, and with wheeljack also looking awesome, this one has some niggles. I can live with the cab not separating, tho it would've been awesome... think the butt flap is what bothers me the most, maybe if they could've separated it into 2 or have it fold in

anyways after generations metroplex, guess he'll be the most expensive piece in my collection. Bastard.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598381)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 11th, 2014 @ 8:32am CDT
Samsonator wrote:Show accuracy be damned, a so-called Masterpiece should definitely have worked in a transforming cab, because it's something very integral to Ultra Magnus. They never show it in the cartoon, but we all know it's there.
OBJECTION!

I was not a child of the 80's, so I did not grow up watching G1 in the era that its toyline was out. Therefore, the way I watched the cartoon was through VHS tapes and DVDs that I bought from stores. And when I watched the cartoon and saw Ultra Magnus, I never, NEVER, imagined him having a smaller white Optimus Prime inside of him because, back then, I had never owned nor even seen pictures of a G1 Ultra Magnus toy. The guy on the show went from car carrier to red/white/blue robot and that's all I ever took him for. It wouldn't be until 2003 when Hasbro decided to reissue G1 Optimus, G1 Ultra Magnus, and G1 Hot Rod (renamed "Rodimus Major") at Toys "R" Us stores that I got to experience a G1 Ultra Magnus toy and learned about his white Optimus Prime inner robot.

And when I did, I was GLAD the cartoon omitted it and went for his Super Robot mode as his standard robot mode, because back then I was of the mindset that no one who isn't Optimus Prime should ever look just like Optimus Prime (except for evil clones like RiD Scourge and Nemesis Prime), as I believed Optimus Prime ought to be so special a character that his look must be one of a kind. Lesser characters can have ordinary separate-character redecos, but not Optimus, as I believed back then.

I wasn't a comic book reader back then either, so I didn't know about that one issue of Dreamwave's G1 comic that had Magnus get naked, but even still, that was just one comic issue out of many more.

These days, I know better from when I was younger, but my point still stands that not "everyone" believed (or even still believes) in Ultra Magnus having an Optimus Prime inner robot inside his body in the cartoon when going by just the cartoon alone.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598390)
Posted by megatronus on August 11th, 2014 @ 8:52am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Samsonator wrote:Show accuracy be damned, a so-called Masterpiece should definitely have worked in a transforming cab, because it's something very integral to Ultra Magnus. They never show it in the cartoon, but we all know it's there.
OBJECTION!

I was not a child of the 80's, so I did not grow up watching G1 in the era that its toyline was out. Therefore, the way I watched the cartoon was through VHS tapes and DVDs that I bought from stores. And when I watched the cartoon and saw Ultra Magnus, I never, NEVER, imagined him having a smaller white Optimus Prime inside of him because, back then, I had never owned nor even seen pictures of a G1 Ultra Magnus toy. The guy on the show went from car carrier to red/white/blue robot and that's all I ever took him for. It wouldn't be until 2003 when Hasbro decided to reissue G1 Optimus, G1 Ultra Magnus, and G1 Hot Rod (renamed "Rodimus Major") at Toys "R" Us stores that I got to experience a G1 Ultra Magnus toy and learned about his white Optimus Prime inner robot.

And when I did, I was GLAD the cartoon omitted it and went for his Super Robot mode as his standard robot mode, because back then I was of the mindset that no one who isn't Optimus Prime should ever look just like Optimus Prime (except for evil clones like RiD Scourge and Nemesis Prime), as I believed Optimus Prime ought to be so special a character that his look must be one of a kind. Lesser characters can have ordinary separate-character redecos, but not Optimus, as I believed back then.

I wasn't a comic book reader back then either, so I didn't know about that one issue of Dreamwave's G1 comic that had Magnus get naked, but even still, that was just one comic issue out of many more.

These days, I know better from when I was younger, but my point still stands that not "everyone" believed (or even still believes) in Ultra Magnus having an Optimus Prime inner robot inside his body in the cartoon when going by just the cartoon alone.

OK... your personal feelings and path of discovery are valid, but that doesn't mitigate the fact that the G1 toy was what it was, nor that the MP line is looking to balance cartoon accuracy & G1 toy/vehicular accuracy.

An inner bot would have been appreciated. It is a legacy of Magnus that would not have made it into the official fiction if it were not inspired by G1 in some fashion, and it would have been nice to see the MP reflect this beyond the half-face under the real face.

This is not to say that MP-22 isn't looking great. What I'm trying to say, in short, is that your ignorance of the toy source material and personal passion for a unique Prime mold are not compelling reasons for the official MP team to neglect the inner robot.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598395)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 11th, 2014 @ 9:11am CDT
Forgot to mention that I also grew out of the "Optimus should be unique" mindset I had back then.

But still, my point was in response to the claim of everyone believing Magnus to have an inner robot inside his body in the cartoon, when that may be true for the toy and non-cartoon fiction, but since the cartoon never presented it as such, we can't say for 100% certainty that Cartoon Ultra Magnus does really have a white Optimus inside himself.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598396)
Posted by megatronus on August 11th, 2014 @ 9:16am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Forgot to mention that I also grew out of the "Optimus should be unique" mindset I had back then.

But still, my point was in response to the claim of everyone believing Magnus to have an inner robot inside his body in the cartoon, when that may be true for the toy and non-cartoon fiction, but since the cartoon never presented it as such, we can't say for 100% certainty that Cartoon Ultra Magnus does really have a white Optimus inside himself.

Granted... but the flip side is there's no way to no cartoon Magnus didn't have an inner robot. It's 50/50, and that's fine. But we do know with 100% certainty that the toy did.

Expected Value for G1 Magnus having an inner robot = 1.5/2

;)
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598516)
Posted by Agamemnon on August 11th, 2014 @ 2:15pm CDT
megatronus wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Forgot to mention that I also grew out of the "Optimus should be unique" mindset I had back then.

But still, my point was in response to the claim of everyone believing Magnus to have an inner robot inside his body in the cartoon, when that may be true for the toy and non-cartoon fiction, but since the cartoon never presented it as such, we can't say for 100% certainty that Cartoon Ultra Magnus does really have a white Optimus inside himself.

Granted... but the flip side is there's no way to no cartoon Magnus didn't have an inner robot. It's 50/50, and that's fine. But we do know with 100% certainty that the toy did.

Expected Value for G1 Magnus having an inner robot = 1.5/2

;)

I think you both have valid points. One more thing I would add was that the G1 cartoons were, in essence, 30-minute toy commercials. They were meant to get us kids (I was one of those children of the 80s) to beg our parents to buy us these really cool looking transforming toys. (Also of note, I did have Ultra Magnus as a kid in the 80s. So that colors my opinion greatly.) I certainly always assumed that Magnus had the inner white robot. Even kids who didn't have the toy would have seen the commercials. I seem to remember the inner robot being a part of those commercials...



That said, I would also take issue with Samsonator's wording and tone. Indeed, not everybody thought that way, perhaps even in the 80s. I do think it would have been a popular opinion for those who grew up in the 80s. Hence why some are disappointed in the end results here.

Personally, I think I like it fine the way it turned out. I would also have been okay with a white inner prime, though...
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598517)
Posted by Delta Magnus on August 11th, 2014 @ 2:21pm CDT
Looking at that commercial, the inner robot definitely wasn't the focus of the sell, so to speak. It got, what, a few seconds of screen time?

Myself, I don't miss the inner robot. Magnus is almost never portrayed as even having it, aside from a few obscure Dreamwave comics. Besides, I reckon having the robot be all one piece greatly increases his articulation- with how bulky Magnus is, and how much bigger he is than Prime, the MP-10 mold would need severe re-engineering to be able to don the armour and maintain decent articulation, not to mention the trailer would end up a floppy, partsforming mess.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598521)
Posted by shajaki on August 11th, 2014 @ 2:46pm CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:Myself, I don't miss the inner robot. Magnus is almost never portrayed as even having it, aside from a few obscure Dreamwave comics. Besides, I reckon having the robot be all one piece greatly increases his articulation- with how bulky Magnus is, and how much bigger he is than Prime, the MP-10 mold would need severe re-engineering to be able to don the armour and maintain decent articulation, not to mention the trailer would end up a floppy, partsforming mess.
im a white prime fan, but i agree with this. they would have had to sacrifice a lot, and the end result would have simply not been worth it.

whos to say they wont do a white prime repaint as the inner magnus bot down the road? they sure do love milking that MP10 mold...

*edit* more thoughts...
imagine a white magnus MP10, with say a handful of broken magnus armor bits? im drooling....
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598531)
Posted by Dead Metal on August 11th, 2014 @ 3:21pm CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:Looking at that commercial, the inner robot definitely wasn't the focus of the sell, so to speak. It got, what, a few seconds of screen time?


It wasn't even really shown, all they did was show the kid pulling the legs down to stick it in the armor and then put the helmet on. If I didn't know about the existence of the white Prime, I would have assumed that the cab would just fold a bit to better fit into the body.
I mean if they intended to advertise the white Prime component, they would have shown it and said something like "Ultra Magnus can combine with his trailer to boot his power". Instead they only focused on alt-mode and Ultra Magnus mode, and all the clips they showed was of Magnus transforming from truck to armored mode without the inner bot, and that was original animation and not from any episode, on top of that Prime even says that he turns from trailer truck to his "powerful Autobot Commander". The shot of the white head doesn't even have a face, they obscure it almost to hide the fact that it's there.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598540)
Posted by Cyberpath on August 11th, 2014 @ 3:40pm CDT
Dead Metal wrote:It wasn't even really shown, all they did was show the kid pulling the legs down to stick it in the armor and then put the helmet on. If I didn't know about the existence of the white Prime, I would have assumed that the cab would just fold a bit to better fit into the body.
I mean if they intended to advertise the white Prime component, they would have shown it and said something like "Ultra Magnus can combine with his trailer to boot his power". Instead they only focused on alt-mode and Ultra Magnus mode, and all the clips they showed was of Magnus transforming from truck to armored mode without the inner bot, and that was original animation and not from any episode, on top of that Prime even says that he turns from trailer truck to his "powerful Autobot Commander". The shot of the white head doesn't even have a face, they obscure it almost to hide the fact that it's there.
This.



And as mentioned in a couple of interviews, Hasui tried to make the inner white robot happen, but it didn't work. So instead Kobayashi was assigned to do MP-22 with the cartoon transformation.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598554)
Posted by Agamemnon on August 11th, 2014 @ 4:47pm CDT
What you guys are saying is all true. Yet, I would also say that if people are of the opinion that they expected the white inner robot, that evidence is there as well. I'm not sure why this is becoming polarizing. I suppose for those that really, really wanted an inner white robot, this MP release is disappointing. Having lived through the 80s and getting the UM G1 toy, I can appreciate that perspective.

And yet, I am perfectly happy with how this turned out! :APPLAUSE:
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598594)
Posted by megatronus on August 11th, 2014 @ 9:10pm CDT
Agamemnon wrote:What you guys are saying is all true. Yet, I would also say that if people are of the opinion that they expected the white inner robot, that evidence is there as well. I'm not sure why this is becoming polarizing. I suppose for those that really, really wanted an inner white robot, this MP release is disappointing. Having lived through the 80s and getting the UM G1 toy, I can appreciate that perspective.

And yet, I am perfectly happy with how this turned out! :APPLAUSE:

That's basically how I see it. An inner white robot would have been a great feature if workable, and many people hoped for & expected it. That said, MP-22 still looks pretty awesome.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598599)
Posted by shajaki on August 11th, 2014 @ 9:25pm CDT
Agamemnon wrote:I'm not sure why this is becoming polarizing.
same. if we had gotten a white prime with armor, i bet we'd have just as many complaints about parts forming and whatnot.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598603)
Posted by REMINATOR on August 11th, 2014 @ 9:52pm CDT
I'm an armor UM fan and I agreed with Hasui, MP UM should've been the armor version if it wasn't for the budget and ease of transformation. The armor version would've been the true MP which can satisfy both party. If you don't like the white Magnus, then don't transform him and reconfigure him straight to the armor version. Just because the white Magnus didn't appear in the cartoon, doesn't mean he did not exist. If we go by that route, I've never seen Rodimus trailer open up in the cartoon. Therefore, the toy battle mode with gun shouldn't exist. I know this is going to the extreme, but it's the same concept.

As for the white Magnus didn't get much screen time in the toy commercial. That is true for the U.S. But in Japan world, he sure got more screen time. They even showed the white Magnus with fist when he doesn't need to if going straight to the armor mode:
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598640)
Posted by Cyberpath on August 12th, 2014 @ 5:21am CDT
Actually, in the cartoon Rodimus Prime has a "full transformation" like Motormaster and Ultra Magnus.

Image

He doesn't leave a semi-trailer behind like Optimus Prime, except for in animation errors.

I doubt they can translate that into a Masterpiece figure though. Unlike Magnus, Rodimus is quite svelte.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598682)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on August 12th, 2014 @ 9:29am CDT
Cyberpath wrote:Actually, in the cartoon Rodimus Prime has a "full transformation" like Motormaster and Ultra Magnus.

Image

He doesn't leave a semi-trailer behind like Optimus Prime, except for in animation errors.

I doubt they can translate that into a Masterpiece figure though. Unlike Magnus, Rodimus is quite svelte.


They managed it with the Titanium one:

Image

Image
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598690)
Posted by Cyberpath on August 12th, 2014 @ 10:12am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:They managed it with the Titanium one:

Image

Image

And the Choro-Q, but neither has "Masterpiece" esthetics. It would probably involve a lot of folding panels.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598699)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on August 12th, 2014 @ 10:42am CDT
Cyberpath wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:They managed it with the Titanium one:

Image

Image

And the Choro-Q, but neither has "Masterpiece" esthetics. It would probably involve a lot of folding panels.


Not as man as you'd think. Here's a Japanese pictorial:

Titanium Series Rodimus Prime on Ooebi's Hobby Factory.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598716)
Posted by Dead Metal on August 12th, 2014 @ 11:58am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Cyberpath wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:They managed it with the Titanium one:

Image

Image

And the Choro-Q, but neither has "Masterpiece" esthetics. It would probably involve a lot of folding panels.


Not as man as you'd think. Here's a Japanese pictorial:

Titanium Series Rodimus Prime on Ooebi's Hobby Factory.

No, he meant a full transformation style MP figure. It would need a lot of folding panels to go from show accurate Winnebago to show accurate Bot mode.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598737)
Posted by xyl360 on August 12th, 2014 @ 1:05pm CDT
I had Ultra Magnus as a kid (the version with the nice silver painted face and painted antennae) so I was quite aware of the 'white Prime' component (the only thing I ever used that for was Prime when he appeared in the episode about the hate plague and was covered in that white alloy; it was never Magnus). It was never shown in the cartoon and as a kid I never thought of it as 2 forms for Ultra Magnus. I just looked at the white cab part as a part of the Ultra Magnus robot mode.

Takara has finally delivered the Ultra Magnus I've always wanted, so I'm happy with it. I much prefer this transformation to having to slap armor onto an MP-10.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598783)
Posted by Delta Magnus on August 12th, 2014 @ 3:15pm CDT
Also, isn't it kinda neat that for once, Ultra Magnus isn't just a white redeco/retool of Prime?
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598785)
Posted by Burn on August 12th, 2014 @ 3:23pm CDT
Aside from the nostalgia as from the 80's as my reason for wanting the white inner robot, I thought they would have done it for the inevitable Powered Convoy repaint they could have made.

But that would be a bit hard now.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598792)
Posted by Delta Magnus on August 12th, 2014 @ 3:38pm CDT
Eh, they can repaint him in Diaclone colours anyway. And probably will. I've never been too fussed about the Powered Convoy colours myself- they're alright, but they're nothing special.

In any case, I'd rather they ditched the inner robot and had a much more secure and well-made toy as a result than tried to do the inner robot thing and ended up with a floppy, gappy, partsforming mess.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598795)
Posted by Dead Metal on August 12th, 2014 @ 3:47pm CDT
Burn wrote:Aside from the nostalgia as from the 80's as my reason for wanting the white inner robot, I thought they would have done it for the inevitable Powered Convoy repaint they could have made.

But that would be a bit hard now.

They can, along with MP10 sans the trailer. Would make for a pretty badass display set, an expensive one though.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598800)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 12th, 2014 @ 4:03pm CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:Also, isn't it kinda neat that for once, Ultra Magnus isn't just a white redeco/retool of Prime?
But we've had several Ultra Magnus toy that were unique molds not redecoed from Optimus toys.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598806)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on August 12th, 2014 @ 4:12pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Delta Magnus wrote:Also, isn't it kinda neat that for once, Ultra Magnus isn't just a white redeco/retool of Prime?
But we've had several Ultra Magnus toy that were unique molds not redecoed from Optimus toys.


When it came to G1 Ultra Magnus, no. Titanium G1 comes to mind but that's it
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598869)
Posted by william-james88 on August 12th, 2014 @ 7:23pm CDT
I am just glad the conversation has changed from just being about the butt flap
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1598885)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on August 12th, 2014 @ 8:48pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:I am just glad the conversation has changed from just being about the butt flap


You sir have been sig quoted
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1604613)
Posted by robotmel on September 7th, 2014 @ 5:36am CDT
:D
Size comparisson shot of MP Star Saber and MP Ultra Magnus via Planet Iacon/STFU Facebook page.

10622701_743153325750610_6101060345315529965_n.jpg

Spot the join? :lol:
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1604646)
Posted by ScottyP on September 7th, 2014 @ 8:20am CDT
Ooh, that scaling is fantastic. I was worried Star Saber would be a bit out of place and would be hanging out with MP-2 Magnus instead of MP-22.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1623593)
Posted by Kibble on November 21st, 2014 @ 11:12am CST
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1623600)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 21st, 2014 @ 11:28am CST
Kibble wrote:A Hasbro release, you say?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 167&type=1
Yeah, Hasbro Asia.

Hong Kong markets, according to the text details. :sad:
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1623606)
Posted by Dead Metal on November 21st, 2014 @ 12:10pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
Kibble wrote:A Hasbro release, you say?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 167&type=1
Yeah, Hasbro Asia.

Hong Kong markets, according to the text details. :sad:

Holy crap, 299.99 AUS? That's hilarious. But the picture is nice.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1623627)
Posted by Robogeek1973 on November 21st, 2014 @ 2:30pm CST
Sadly I can't see the picture while at work, but I'm positive that Ultra Magnus will get a U.S release at some point.

I'll be shocked if we don't have him by the end of next summer.
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1625183)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 27th, 2014 @ 8:00pm CST
Almost December (well end of December). Got some pics from Amiami

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/review ... agecnt%3D2

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: New Images of Transformers Masterpiece MP-22 Ultra Magnus (1625184)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 27th, 2014 @ 8:02pm CST
Didn't we see pics that had the insides of his red lower legs painted blue?

Click here to view an additional 167 comments about this topic at the Energon Pub Forums ...

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism
Twincast / Podcast #106:
"McCarthyism"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, December 4th, 2014