Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

Transformers News: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

Sunday, July 14th, 2013 4:38PM CDT

Categories: Event News, Site News, Toy News
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 17,252

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Over 40 new images have been added to the SDCC 2013 Metroplex gallery. This time around, the new photos demonstrate how the 2nd red gun attaches to Metroplex in battle station vehicle mode and city mode. To be blunt, this really seems like an after thought. The second gun does end up with a port to attach the red gun in city mode, but how the black gun attaches to the red gun in city mode is pretty weak. The same goes with how the red guns attach to the upper legs in battle station mode. It's not a firm connection like it is behind the shoulder, and the guns will easily detach if you bump into them, as will the black gun attached the red gun in city mode. Check out the pictures below for further details.

Thanks to Sabrblade for showing some pictures of the Takara Tomy version which show where to attach the guns.

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes

New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503176)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 14th, 2013 @ 4:43pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:I wonder where the idea of having two guns actually came from. Are people that obsessed with symmetry?
It probably has more to do with the G1 toy having had two guns. With this toy being pretty much a straight up modern day update of that toy, it having two guns like its G1 counterpart was just a logical assumption.


Which part of Six-Gun? His back or his legs? ;)
Huh?
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503177)
Posted by El Duque on July 14th, 2013 @ 4:45pm CDT
He already comes with three guns, the two black ones and the big red one. The two black ones look just fine as hand guns, and the big red one looks very impressive as a shoulder mounted weapons. That's how I display mine.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503178)
Posted by Seibertron on July 14th, 2013 @ 4:47pm CDT
This picture shows where the red gun attaches in city mode.

Image


This picture shows how the black gun attaches to the red gun in city mode, as well as the stress mark on the base of the tabs of the red gun.

Image


These pictures show where the red gun attaches to the tabs of the upper leg in battle station vehicle mode.

Image

Image


And the paint scuff mark from doing this ...

Image
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503179)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on July 14th, 2013 @ 4:48pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:I wonder where the idea of having two guns actually came from. Are people that obsessed with symmetry?
It probably has more to do with the G1 toy having had two guns. With this toy being pretty much a straight up modern day update of that toy, it having two guns like its G1 counterpart was just a logical assumption.


Which part of Six-Gun? His back or his legs? ;)
Huh?


The double-barreled gun, or the two big red ones?
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503181)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 14th, 2013 @ 4:58pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:I wonder where the idea of having two guns actually came from. Are people that obsessed with symmetry?
It probably has more to do with the G1 toy having had two guns. With this toy being pretty much a straight up modern day update of that toy, it having two guns like its G1 counterpart was just a logical assumption.


Which part of Six-Gun? His back or his legs? ;)
Huh?


The double-barreled gun, or the two big red ones?
The two big red guns.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503195)
Posted by sixshot20 on July 14th, 2013 @ 6:07pm CDT
I am so happy someone is hooking me up and getting me an SDCC Metroplex when they go
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503198)
Posted by YoungPrime on July 14th, 2013 @ 6:16pm CDT
What is it like a $125 difference between this and the retail version?

Pfft, keep the extra cardboard and the gun then!
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503200)
Posted by sixshot20 on July 14th, 2013 @ 6:22pm CDT
YoungPrime wrote:What is it like a $125 difference between this and the retail version?

Pfft, keep the extra cardboard and the gun then!



Its actually not bad at all the retail version is 110$ and the Comic Con version is only 150$ so it is not bad at all if someone wants a more detailed G1 accurate version .
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503203)
Posted by Son of Carl on July 14th, 2013 @ 6:35pm CDT
I'm just hoping that Trypticon gets this same treatment.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503204)
Posted by Micronautsdeep on July 14th, 2013 @ 6:43pm CDT
I like it, but for $250 you can buy two USA retail Metroplex's (for the 2nd gun)and have a few dollars left to buy a few Commanders to man it.

Did someone say $150 for the SDCC? That would be sweet if you can get it for that price, but I am guessing aftermarket will skyrocket that to the Japan release cost.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503205)
Posted by Autobot032 on July 14th, 2013 @ 6:47pm CDT
I have to be honest, I prefer the US version. I do like the paint apps of the Japanese version, and I like the symmetry of the Japanese version, but the way the cannon works in vehicle mode and the fact that the artwork on the SDCC box shows ONE cannon, I'm more than fine with the US version.

The mounting points are silly. They really do feel like an afterthought.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503208)
Posted by sixshot20 on July 14th, 2013 @ 7:19pm CDT
Micronautsdeep wrote:
Did someone say $150 for the SDCC?


Yes the Official price for the SDCC Metroplex is 150$. but you don't just get the second gun, I am getting it because I really like the chrome face compared to the Hasbro version which has a white face you also get 12 little decoys that are awesome to put in his city and vehicle mode.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503213)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 14th, 2013 @ 7:56pm CDT
Good God, that's a big box! :shock:
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503245)
Posted by Bouncy X on July 14th, 2013 @ 11:18pm CDT
those little guys remind me of the transformers train set from the 80s. it came with similar one color/rubber-ish characters like these. that was a cool and fun set as well, i played with it a lot considering i was never a train set kid. lol

i even found pics...

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/to ... IC_ID=6652

scroll down a bit to see pics.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503250)
Posted by Ultra Markus on July 14th, 2013 @ 11:39pm CDT
yeah officially they say 150 but i saw ebay listings for 250
better hope that HTS has them at the 150 and i have the means to get it
i really hate those ebay sellers with their price gouging its not fair
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503254)
Posted by El Duque on July 15th, 2013 @ 12:12am CDT
I'll chime in since I own a retail version Metroplex. After reviewing Ryan's galleries I no longer plan on getting the SDCC version and I'm going to cancel my pre-order for the Takara Tomy version. When I initially saw the SDCC version at BotCon I had a little buyers remorse regarding the retail version that I had purchased earlier from BBTS in the dealer room. Seeing the chrome spoke to my G1 luvin self and gave me what a friend of mine refers to as a "toy boner". You know, that feeling you get when you see something new and just have to get it while all common sense is flying out the window.

I agree with Ryan the configurations using two large red guns feels really tacked on at best. I tried attaching my single red gun like this and the connections are really weak. Luckily I didn't get any paint rubs on the legs, but I have feeling they would eventually show up if you placed them there very many times. Personally I think he looks best wielding the two smaller black guns as pistols (they are designed to be held this way) and using the large red gun as a shoulder mounted weapon. To me this is the best of all worlds. My only real complaint with the retail version is the all white face, but that will be easily remedied with a few cents worth of silver model paint. I know Reprolabels is planning a supplemental sticker set, so I'm going to hold off on further custom detailing until I see what they come out with.

I'm not sure why, but in the end the chrome went from being something I really wanted to a bit of a detractor. That, the fact that I have no interest in the decoys, and pointlessness of the second large gun have me no longer interested in the SDCC version. Not to mention the maddening experience that comes with trying to buy these things off HTS after the event. My advice, save yourself some money and grief by sticking with the retail version.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503262)
Posted by Flux Convoy on July 15th, 2013 @ 12:43am CDT
Seibertron wrote:Just double checked for you ... the voice clips are identical in both.

Excellent, much appreciated bud. :)
:BOT:
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503295)
Posted by Micronautsdeep on July 15th, 2013 @ 7:50am CDT
El Duque wrote:I'll chime in since I own a retail version Metroplex. After reviewing Ryan's galleries I no longer plan on getting the SDCC version and I'm going to cancel my pre-order for the Takara Tomy version. When I initially saw the SDCC version at BotCon I had a little buyers remorse regarding the retail version that I had purchased earlier from BBTS in the dealer room. Seeing the chrome spoke to my G1 luvin self and gave me what a friend of mine refers to as a "toy boner". You know, that feeling you get when you see something new and just have to get it while all common sense is flying out the window.

I agree with Ryan the configurations using two large red guns feels really tacked on at best. I tried attaching my single red gun like this and the connections are really weak. Luckily I didn't get any paint rubs on the legs, but I have feeling they would eventually show up if you placed them there very many times. Personally I think he looks best wielding the two smaller black guns as pistols (they are designed to be held this way) and using the large red gun as a shoulder mounted weapon. To me this is the best of all worlds. My only real complaint with the retail version is the all white face, but that will be easily remedied with a few cents worth of silver model paint. I know Reprolabels is planning a supplemental sticker set, so I'm going to hold off on further custom detailing until I see what they come out with.

I'm not sure why, but in the end the chrome went from being something I really wanted to a bit of a detractor. That, the fact that I have no interest in the decoys, and pointlessness of the second large gun have me no longer interested in the SDCC version. Not to mention the maddening experience that comes with trying to buy these things off HTS after the event. My advice, save yourself some money and grief by sticking with the retail version.





Great advice!!!! :BOWDOWN:
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503398)
Posted by Yotsuyasan on July 15th, 2013 @ 1:56pm CDT
Whelp... These photos convinced me. I had to have one! I just won me an e-bay auction for... my own Gari Robo-kun! I've got on the way the "cola" one instead of the regular one... Not my flavor of choice, but I'll just tell myself it is a fudgesicle and it will be awesome!

It really is the must-have add-on accessory for Metroplex! (And if I don't manage to get the SDCC version, then I'll definitely have something to put in his other hand, now.)
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503454)
Posted by Eagleblaster on July 15th, 2013 @ 5:13pm CDT
The colors on the stickers are way more brighter and vivid than the colors on the other exclusives labels. And the retail box is better. And that chrome looks kind of out of place.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1503456)
Posted by Eagleblaster on July 15th, 2013 @ 5:14pm CDT
The colors on the stickers are way more brighter and vivid than the colors on the other exclusives. And the retail box is better. And that chrome looks kind of out of place.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1504048)
Posted by Sodan-1 on July 17th, 2013 @ 8:09pm CDT
It's just as well I'd pretty much resigned myself to getting one of the mass retail versions. If there's only 30 of these SDCC figures being made then the chances of getting one seem pretty slim. It does look good, as does the box, but I think the chrome is a little too much.

The second gun may not attach in a substantial way, but it does look good. That Takara version is looking more and more appealing.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1504055)
Posted by Yotsuyasan on July 17th, 2013 @ 8:20pm CDT
Sodan-1 wrote:It's just as well I'd pretty much resigned myself to getting one of the mass retail versions. If there's only 30 of these SDCC figures being made then the chances of getting one seem pretty slim. It does look good, as does the box, but I think the chrome is a little too much.

The second gun may not attach in a substantial way, but it does look good. That Takara version is looking more and more appealing.


I think you misunderstood the "1 of 30" thing. They aren't making only 30 SDCC Metroplexes. The SDCC Metroplex is figure #1 in a series of 30 different special (and, I think, exclusive to various things) figures being released to celebrate the 30th anniversary.

Mind you, he will still be a limited quantity, but surely a much higher number then only 30! (Hopefully enough that I can score one on HasbroToyShop.com!)
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1504919)
Posted by Sodan-1 on July 19th, 2013 @ 5:21pm CDT
Yotsuyasan wrote:
Sodan-1 wrote:It's just as well I'd pretty much resigned myself to getting one of the mass retail versions. If there's only 30 of these SDCC figures being made then the chances of getting one seem pretty slim. It does look good, as does the box, but I think the chrome is a little too much.


I think you misunderstood the "1 of 30" thing. They aren't making only 30 SDCC Metroplexes. The SDCC Metroplex is figure #1 in a series of 30 different special (and, I think, exclusive to various things) figures being released to celebrate the 30th anniversary.

Ah, right. Thanks for clearing that up. That's actually worse news from my perspective. Instead of one figure I don't want, I'll be in trouble when it's revealed that I want the other twenty-nine. #-o
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1504921)
Posted by Yotsuyasan on July 19th, 2013 @ 5:44pm CDT
Sodan-1 wrote:Ah, right. Thanks for clearing that up. That's actually worse news from my perspective. Instead of one figure I don't want, I'll be in trouble when it's revealed that I want the other twenty-nine. #-o


I'm just glad that in this case I definitely don't feel a need to collect an entire series. I've fallen prey to that in the case where things are numbered, before. (Such as how one of the limited edition volumes of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya on DVD came with Volume 1 of the Character Song CDs, so even though I probably wouldn't have cared otherwise, I ended up getting the other eight of them!)

But in this case, I will just be very happy to get Metroplex. (And, if worse comes to worst, I'll also manage to be content with the retail version. But I do hope I can snag the SDCC one!)
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1505602)
Posted by Norrin Radd on July 22nd, 2013 @ 5:23pm CDT
Retail version of Metroplex is currently on sale at Amazon for $113.37. Go to Amazon's site, type "metroplex titan" and click on the first result. He's marked down from $124.99 and has free shipping. I'm very interested in SDCC version, but you'll never beat this price for the retail version. I submitted my preorder today.
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1506274)
Posted by Norrin Radd on July 24th, 2013 @ 6:56pm CDT
SDCC Metroplex finally has a page at Hasbro Toy Shop website. He's going for $150, but is currently out of stock. Not sure if you'd have to pay for shipping. Not sure if weblink will come through on my post. If not, just go to hasbrotoyshopDOTcom and search for metroplex; you can't miss him; you'll only get one result.

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/transforme ... 6&ID=32175
Re: New pics demonstrating 2nd gun for SDCC Metroplex in city and battle station vehicle modes (1506285)
Posted by Delicon on July 24th, 2013 @ 7:31pm CDT
He was up for sale earlier in the day and sold out in a matter of minutes. However, in past years figs from SDCC have sold out quickly and then been put back up for sale after that. I remember Titanium Skywarp was that way, among others.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars
Twincast / Podcast #98:
"Combiner Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, August 14th, 2014