Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

New Upgrade set for City Commander!

Transformers News: New Upgrade set for City Commander!

Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 9:24AM CST

Categories: Collectables, Toy News
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 14,469

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Yes you read that right, there will be a custom upgradeset for the custom upgrade set known as TFX-01 City Commander!
This set is currently on pre-order.
The upgrade set will include:

Custom Head piece
Custom shoulder launchers (x 1 pair)

The set will be cast in painted resin and will cost around of USD16,35.
There will be a total number of 50 sets exclusive to the sgcollect.com forum members.

{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}
{L_IMAGE}

Stay tuned to seibertron.com for all your Transformers related news.
Credit(s): Dead Metal
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843683)
Posted by Lord T on December 2nd, 2008 @ 9:32am CST
Are they kidding? An upgrade set for an upgrade set?
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843685)
Posted by Editor on December 2nd, 2008 @ 9:35am CST
only 50 sets?

Damn, I guess i'm not going to have a chance to get them then.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843687)
Posted by DevastaTTor on December 2nd, 2008 @ 9:37am CST
Hmmm, I don't know. I may just buy Tankor for 8 bucks and paint his side guns to use as "missles". With them painted white with a red tip, that would do.

The head just doesn't seem that necessary.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843695)
Posted by Grimpoo on December 2nd, 2008 @ 9:51am CST
looks purdy cool.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843703)
Posted by Satomiblood on December 2nd, 2008 @ 10:12am CST
Lol. I wonder how the people that already bought CC are feeling about this. I mean, shit, something like this could've been thrown in with the original set.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843709)
Posted by Mykltron on December 2nd, 2008 @ 10:21am CST
We all knew they'd sell missiles seperately. Bastards. I'll stick with what I've got. Anyway, how are people gonna remove the head without breaking it?
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843734)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 2nd, 2008 @ 11:16am CST
These aren't made by Fan's Project they are made by a customizer.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843747)
Posted by Kique on December 2nd, 2008 @ 11:29am CST
Lord T wrote:Are they kidding? An upgrade set for an upgrade set?

I second this ! 8)
... although ... I woundn't mind buying it. I'm not on SG Collect either, so I wont worry about not getting it. If Fansproject does one though, I'll probably get it.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843751)
Posted by dragons on December 2nd, 2008 @ 11:32am CST
its not but there almost identical some minor differnces big differnce in the chin no missles launchers are shown........

50 so limited how sad for hard core fans of ultra magnus

i can see some crack head, drug up seller on ebay selling this set for 2 to 4 times that they are im going to have fun watching that auction just to see how much & how much the seller has to pay for the set.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843779)
Posted by Kryptikore on December 2nd, 2008 @ 12:21pm CST
I think Fansproject's version is good the way it is! The head looks a lot tougher than this new version. Although I would like to see Fansproject do some shoulder missles. Some thing not so bulky as far as the missles go. The Launchers could still be bulky though.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843784)
Posted by Jaw Crusher on December 2nd, 2008 @ 12:31pm CST
Hnh. It's nice they want to make the head more G1ish, but IMO the existing head is fine the way it is.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843791)
Posted by Hard Hacker on December 2nd, 2008 @ 12:53pm CST
I don't like it.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843794)
Posted by Firebird on December 2nd, 2008 @ 1:05pm CST
I like my City Commander with his current head.

This new one doesn't fit the upgraded G1 design as well.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843803)
Posted by rpetras on December 2nd, 2008 @ 1:36pm CST
I'd get this, I think it is very cool!
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843857)
Posted by Omegasoundwave on December 2nd, 2008 @ 2:38pm CST
so theres an upgrade for and upgrade huh. Any way i like the head but if i ever get the classics Ultra Magnus i'll get bot of the upgrades. but those chances are vary slim because he's like $60 on ebay! and other stores.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843863)
Posted by Koloth on December 2nd, 2008 @ 2:43pm CST
Mykltron wrote: Anyway, how are people gonna remove the head without breaking it?



It isn't that hard actually, it is just on a peg. Just pull it straight up.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843870)
Posted by Shadowstream on December 2nd, 2008 @ 3:01pm CST
the utter irony
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843909)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on December 2nd, 2008 @ 4:02pm CST
It looks nice, but I'm not gonna sweat not having it. A fan add-on to another fan project? That sounds like inbreeding to me! I mean, if it was plentiful and cheap I'd consider it, but I'd rather get a whole new TF than a couple of missile launchers.

If your UM head is looking upwards chances are you broke your $70 toy. The head's shape looks like it was meant to be on a ball joint, but it isn't. It's just on an old fasioned peg. I tried (gently) moving it upwards too, but it didn't want to go that way and I didn't force it. But it turns from side to side just fine. Slides off easily, actually.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (843936)
Posted by Agent 007 on December 2nd, 2008 @ 4:51pm CST
nice but I don't even own the first upgrade armor so I'll pass.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844005)
Posted by Satomiblood on December 2nd, 2008 @ 5:59pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:These aren't made by Fan's Project they are made by a customizer.


Still, it would've been nice if FP included an alternate head like this.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844012)
Posted by Head Shot on December 2nd, 2008 @ 6:06pm CST
heh, only 50 eh? What a shame... looks like I won't be able to replace this things head.

on a side note, am I the only one who thinks the head that was used looks fugly? I mean its got no nose, and the mouth looks kinda weird too.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844033)
Posted by Sledge on December 2nd, 2008 @ 6:27pm CST
If I was going to buy a City Commander (and I'm not), I would want this head on it. The original looks awful to me.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844036)
Posted by AdventPrime on December 2nd, 2008 @ 6:34pm CST
So this is not from FansProject, right?
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844052)
Posted by Venksta on December 2nd, 2008 @ 6:48pm CST
AdventPrime wrote:So this is not from FansProject, right?


Nope, its just a small run for made by SGCollect.com, for their members only.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844066)
Posted by Stormrider on December 2nd, 2008 @ 7:13pm CST
Who is the actual creator? Is it a member of that forum? Or a small company?
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844105)
Posted by Koloth on December 2nd, 2008 @ 8:08pm CST
Gauntlet101010 wrote:If your UM head is looking upwards chances are you broke your $70 toy. The head's shape looks like it was meant to be on a ball joint, but it isn't. It's just on an old fasioned peg. I tried (gently) moving it upwards too, but it didn't want to go that way and I didn't force it. But it turns from side to side just fine. Slides off easily, actually.


Mine moves up and down just fine. It is a ball joint on a peg in the neck hole. That's actually how I first found out it came off easily. I was pushing it back to give him a more dynamic pose and the peg just slipped out. Freaked me out at first because I though I had just broken an $80 toy in the first 30 minutes of owning it. But after looking at it I realised it was alright and just put it back together.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844132)
Posted by El Duque on December 2nd, 2008 @ 10:25pm CST
I'm using G1 launchers and I prefer the look of the original head. Considering the breakage issue some have had I would be afraid to try the swap.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844189)
Posted by Autobot032 on December 3rd, 2008 @ 12:29am CST
...more to this set? Really?

Wasn't squeezing people's wallets for $75.00 enough? Especially after the heads broke off...

No thanks. Seeing this just makes me get P.O.ed
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844199)
Posted by Oilspill on December 3rd, 2008 @ 12:42am CST
Sledge wrote:If I was going to buy a City Commander (and I'm not), I would want this head on it. The original looks awful to me.


Hey Sledge,

Looking at the pics I'd agree with you, the original head looks all kinds of weird.. but looking at it in person it looks awesome. Hard to explain how the pics make is look so weird but it's just one of those things.

I've had no problems with the head or legs (I had to use a scary amount of force to rotate the hands the first time was all) and I'd have to say he is easily my 2nd favourite figure in my collection now, second only to MP Prime (because, well, he's Prime). So I'd recommend him if you were undecided.

Just my 2 cents.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844214)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on December 3rd, 2008 @ 1:08am CST
Koloth wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:If your UM head is looking upwards chances are you broke your $70 toy. The head's shape looks like it was meant to be on a ball joint, but it isn't. It's just on an old fasioned peg. I tried (gently) moving it upwards too, but it didn't want to go that way and I didn't force it. But it turns from side to side just fine. Slides off easily, actually.


Mine moves up and down just fine. It is a ball joint on a peg in the neck hole. That's actually how I first found out it came off easily. I was pushing it back to give him a more dynamic pose and the peg just slipped out. Freaked me out at first because I though I had just broken an $80 toy in the first 30 minutes of owning it. But after looking at it I realised it was alright and just put it back together.

Really?? Mine doesn't seem to want to look down or up.I didn't spot a ball joint in that head, but maybe it's worth a second look ...

Not tempted to force it tho.

Edit:
Removed the head again. I tried to apply a bit of force to the "ball" directly, as I won't be doing that with the peg. It didn't move a milimeter. Since there's other UMs with fine heads, I can only guess mine is slightly defective that way. Maybe the other broken UMs had their ball joints as tight as mine was.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844304)
Posted by Arlekkin on December 3rd, 2008 @ 6:14am CST
Noooooooooo.... I have to open my custom set then to see if mine is fine. I was hoping to keep it MISB as all other Transformers Classics/Classics 2.0 I've got. :sad:

On the oher hand I would like to get a couple of shoulder missile launchers for my set (Unfortunately I don't have a G1 UM)... so this set would have been a great thing to buy... but the new head.... nah I would have passed. The original, even though it looked weird in the pictures, gives UM the look of a hardened soldier (a la Dolph Lundgren kinda thing)
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844307)
Posted by Sledge on December 3rd, 2008 @ 6:31am CST
Oilspill wrote:Looking at the pics I'd agree with you, the original head looks all kinds of weird.. but looking at it in person it looks awesome. Hard to explain how the pics make is look so weird but it's just one of those things.
Weird how that can happen. I found Universe Powerglide looks a lot better in person than he does in pictures.

Still, I've got a lot more problems with City Commander than his face, so I'll continue to pass.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844727)
Posted by Down_Shift on December 3rd, 2008 @ 7:22pm CST
I think they did a great job of it. Can't wait to see the rockets.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (844784)
Posted by Venksta on December 3rd, 2008 @ 9:59pm CST
Down_Shift wrote:I think they did a great job of it. Can't wait to see the rockets.


You've seen the rocket launchers already. :arrow: There just repros of the original G1 Magnus' launchers. However, these ones won't be able to shoot the missile.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (845662)
Posted by Bonger on December 5th, 2008 @ 3:53am CST
Arlekkin wrote:Noooooooooo.... I have to open my custom set then to see if mine is fine. I was hoping to keep it MISB as all other Transformers Classics/Classics 2.0 I've got. :sad:

On the oher hand I would like to get a couple of shoulder missile launchers for my set (Unfortunately I don't have a G1 UM)... so this set would have been a great thing to buy... but the new head.... nah I would have passed. The original, even though it looked weird in the pictures, gives UM the look of a hardened soldier (a la Dolph Lundgren kinda thing)


Umm, if you are keeping it MISB, what's the difference if its fine or not? How do youi know if any of your classics are fine? They had a lot of QC issues that were not noticed till after the toy was handled. Also, why do you need launchers for something you will never open? I am so confused. :???:
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (845702)
Posted by Sledge on December 5th, 2008 @ 6:29am CST
MISB-ers confuse me full stop. They own Schrödinger's Transformers: they might be perfect, or they might be knackered. Who knows?
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (845705)
Posted by Nujevad on December 5th, 2008 @ 7:08am CST
Sledge wrote:MISB-ers confuse me full stop. They own Schrödinger's Transformers: they might be perfect, or they might be knackered. Who knows?

My thoughts exactly.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (848536)
Posted by dragons on December 10th, 2008 @ 3:53pm CST
i just realized something how is the new head going to work with the city comannder set i read soemone on the forum turned the citycommander head to the side and it broke off cant be fixed are they going to make a chest piece or something.?
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (848829)
Posted by Counterpunch on December 11th, 2008 @ 7:14am CST
Nujevad wrote:
Sledge wrote:MISB-ers confuse me full stop. They own Schrödinger's Transformers: they might be perfect, or they might be knackered. Who knows?

My thoughts exactly.


Co-sign.

::Waits for the pre-high school physics kids to visit Wikipedia...::
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (848976)
Posted by Sledge on December 11th, 2008 @ 12:50pm CST
One day, someone will open a MISB G1 Metroplex, only to find half a cat.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (862241)
Posted by Kique on January 6th, 2009 @ 1:54pm CST
Does anyone know if there is an update on this upgrade kit? B-)
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (862410)
Posted by Nickolai on January 6th, 2009 @ 7:41pm CST
I think this product can be described in one sentence...

YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE CUSTOMS SO I GOT A CUSTOM FOR YOUR CUSTOM SO YOU CAN CUSTOM WHILE YOU CUSTOM YO.
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (862528)
Posted by typh0id on January 7th, 2009 @ 2:14am CST
Sledge wrote:One day, someone will open a MISB G1 Metroplex, only to find half a cat.


Bahahaa!! :grin:



Anyway, I think the "upgrade" head looks pretty nice but it seems terribly uneccesary...I think FansProject's head was awesome and a very nice update to the original...The custom shoulder launchers might be nice but since thre's really no chance of getting this anyway it's not a big deal at all to me...
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (862653)
Posted by Editor on January 7th, 2009 @ 9:13am CST
Nickolai wrote:YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE CUSTOMS SO I GOT A CUSTOM FOR YOUR CUSTOM SO YOU CAN CUSTOM WHILE YOU CUSTOM YO.


WORD UP, G!
Re: New Upgrade set for City Commander! (862658)
Posted by Kique on January 7th, 2009 @ 9:20am CST
Nickolai wrote:I think this product can be described in one sentence...

YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE CUSTOMS SO I GOT A CUSTOM FOR YOUR CUSTOM SO YOU CAN CUSTOM WHILE YOU CUSTOM YO.


Bwahahahahahahah :APPLAUSE:
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014