New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations"

Transformers News: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations"

Saturday, March 2nd, 2013 11:23AM CST

Categories: Site News, Toy News, Event News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 47,198

During last month's Hasbro Media Day site owner Ryan Yzquierdo had the pleasure of speaking to The New York Times' Gregory Schmidt for an article that was published yesterday titled, "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations". The article focuses on Hasbro's continued ability to grow the Transformers brand and expand it into new markets, creating a truly generational franchise. In the excerpt below Ryan explains the appeal of Transformers: Rescue Bots to parents with young children. The full article can be found by clicking here.

That was enough to convince Ryan Yzquierdo, who has been a Transformers fan since he was 7, that Rescue Bots were a good way to introduce Transformers to his 3-year-old daughter.

“Each toy focused on a different motor skill, which was a big selling point for me and my wife,” said Mr. Yzquierdo, who started a Web site, Seibertron.com, devoted to Transformers in 2000.

New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations"
Ryan diligently taking photos for Seibertron's Toy Fair 2013 Coverage
Credit(s): The New York Times
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468540)
Posted by Dr Va'al on March 2nd, 2013 @ 11:38am CST
Decent read, but I'm annoyed at the fact that Transformers seem to be only identified as "boys' toys".

Even after Ryan made a point of saying he was introducing his daughter to the franchise!
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468542)
Posted by STngAR on March 2nd, 2013 @ 11:51am CST
[color=#4000FF]Was an interesting read. My girls are a little to old to try the Transformer thing on, but I thought it was pretty obvious what Hasbro is trying to do. I dont know about movie 4 toys, unless they change something about the movie toys they aint getting any of my money for them.

I would love to have that Predaking statue thats behind Ryan.

Bronies???......really????[/color]

:MAXIMAL:
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468552)
Posted by RhA on March 2nd, 2013 @ 12:36pm CST
I never get why our children need to be 'introduced to the francise'. It's like saying; 'Hey, dad can't control himself over by the toyisle, it's time you did the same so he looks like less of a nutjob.'
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468555)
Posted by Manterax Prime on March 2nd, 2013 @ 12:55pm CST
In regards to the MLP and Bronies part.
“They don’t mind having this fan base, but they can’t forget their core market,”

That core market being little girls. Bronies are even causing problems for Hasbro.

In regards to the main focus, the TFs, I'm really interested in what they'll do when movie 4 hits.
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468569)
Posted by PrymeStriker on March 2nd, 2013 @ 2:06pm CST
"Hey, Ryan. You're in the newspaper!"

I'll have to concur, the Predaking statue is awesome.

Manterax Prime wrote:In regards to the MLP and Bronies part.

In regards to digital images and plush toys they say this. You know, Transformers fans do the same damn thing. We make "unauthorized" custom Transformers and art too.

Their core market being little boys. Transfans are even causing problems for Hasbro.

;)
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468588)
Posted by Manterax Prime on March 2nd, 2013 @ 3:29pm CST
PrymeStriker wrote:"Hey, Ryan. You're in the newspaper!"

I'll have to concur, the Predaking statue is awesome.

Manterax Prime wrote:In regards to the MLP and Bronies part.

;)

Hmmmmm.....the article mentions that Transformers are aimed at ADULT fans as well. So Transfans aren't causing problems, they're making the franchise even more AWESOME! Also, it's hard to take legal action against 3rd parties if they're not in the US. Most of the plush toys and MLP games that fans make are made in the US, making it easier for Hasbro to stop them. As for fan art, nothing much can be done about that.

Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468589)
Posted by PrymeStriker on March 2nd, 2013 @ 3:40pm CST
Manterax Prime wrote:

So is MLP. They made the Favorite Collection toys for adult fans. They named an erroneous background pony "Derpy," which is a name the adult fans gave her. They also have T-Shirts and Vinyl Collectibles made for the adult fans. 'Tis no different than us getting Masterpieces, Reissues, or the Classics Line.

But both franchises were initially for little kids. Then when adult fans got on board, they started giving us some attention. But their target audience is still kids.

[quote]Also, it's hard to take legal action against 3rd parties if they're not in the US.[/quote]

I'm talking about individual fans that make custom Transformers, not 3rd party companies.

[quote]
And as for Custom figures....well....they're custom, mostly made of bits and pieces of other bots.[/quote]

Not always. I've seen people make custom Transformers out of figures from completely different lines. Then there are those that make transformers from scratch without using bits and pieces of other bots.

Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468591)
Posted by Manterax Prime on March 2nd, 2013 @ 3:44pm CST
PrymeStriker wrote:
Manterax Prime wrote:

[quote]

[/quote]

Typical brony.....always wanting to argue anytime somebody insults their precious ponies.
I hate them, you like them, Hasbro doesn't care either way, end of discussion.
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468594)
Posted by Dr Va'al on March 2nd, 2013 @ 3:47pm CST
I agree with PrymeStriker here.

The article is obviously biased towards Transformers and its fans, depicting the actions of My Little Pony fans as negative and damaging the franchise and company.
Which is exactly the same thing Hasbro says about third party companies producing Transformers inspired toys.
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468595)
Posted by Manterax Prime on March 2nd, 2013 @ 3:50pm CST
Va'al wrote:I agree with PrymeStriker here.

I understand the 3rd party thing, but once again, harder to take legal action if they aren't located in the US, which is Hasbro's home turf. Those 3rd parties that are, if any, in the US are gonna be much easier targets for Hasbro.
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468597)
Posted by Dr Va'al on March 2nd, 2013 @ 3:54pm CST
True. But as I said, there is a definite bias to the article, as it's praising the Transformers franchise and not the My Little Pony one.

I don't know how big the latter is out of the English-speaking world, and I don't follow it and don't get it, personally. So someone can prove us wrong or right here.

Hasbro did ban all third party companies from its officially endorsed Transformers events, including non-US based ones, though.
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468602)
Posted by morphobots on March 2nd, 2013 @ 4:19pm CST
On the lighter side, Ryan is in the freakin' New York Times! Admittedly for a soundbite, but who among us original Transfans could have envisioned this long strange trip coming this far for any one of us? :APPLAUSE:
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468603)
Posted by PrymeStriker on March 2nd, 2013 @ 4:21pm CST
Manterax Prime wrote:

You quoted my whole post just to type this?

Bashing another fanbase for doing something that their own fanbase does is being downright hypocritical. This is common sense, not "typical brony."

morphobots wrote:On the lighter side, Ryan is in the freakin' New York Times!

Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468609)
Posted by Manterax Prime on March 2nd, 2013 @ 5:04pm CST

And I didn't say anything about the fandom until you brought it up. I was just saying that Hasbro was sticking to MLP being aimed towards little girls, with little nods to the adult fanbase, instead of catering to the bronies. And yet you proceed to start an argument about it.

Adult transformers fans have been around since G1, so it's only natural Hasbro caters to the adult transfans as they've been around the longest.

DON'T YOU DARE tell me about common sense. I may be a dedicated Transformers fan, as well as a fan of other things, but at least I can control myself, unlike most bronies, who absolutely flip out over a mere, minor negative comment towards the show.

So, STHU! You wanna reply, go ahead, don't expect me to reply back.
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468613)
Posted by morphobots on March 2nd, 2013 @ 5:21pm CST
morphobots wrote:On the lighter side, Ryan is in the freakin' New York Times!

I've seen other members of other fan sites get mentioned in famous news articles, but had never imagined it would happen to Ryan. Cool for him, right? :APPLAUSE:[/quote]

My point precisely. One of the best spokespersons for us in the fandom got a shot to share his passion with a respected (maybe :grin: ) news outlet.
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468621)
Posted by Burn on March 2nd, 2013 @ 6:22pm CST
Manterax Prime wrote:I thought I said "End of discussion". You just proved that most bronies can't control themselves when it comes to MLP.

So, STHU! You wanna reply, go ahead, don't expect me to reply back.

Awesome response. Not.

But you are right, "END OF DISCUSSION". If I see this argument continue, or any further posts that drive the thread off topic, warnings will be issued.

Feel free to take it private. For now, thread back on track.
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468704)
Posted by Sinnertwin on March 3rd, 2013 @ 4:50am CST
Sales in its boys business fell 23 percent in the quarter from the same period in 2011, the year the last Transformers movie came out.

I wonder what Hasbro's sales figures were like in the G1 days? What % was attributed to TF's?
We all know the movie didn't detonate the box office, but i'd be curious to see how TFTM affected Hasbro's sales.
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468707)
Posted by Dr Va'al on March 3rd, 2013 @ 4:59am CST
Seibertron.com is in the news!

(Is that back on track enough, Burn? :P )
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468819)
Posted by Spleenzorio on March 3rd, 2013 @ 5:44pm CST
Ew bronies.
Re: New York Times Article "Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations" (1468831)
Posted by Autobot Megatron on March 3rd, 2013 @ 6:15pm CST
Nice to see Transfans being taken seriously. I do feel kinda bad for Bronies after that though, they kinda got crushed in the thing for stuff even we do. (Not trying to restart the argument, just expressing my opinion.)
Hopefully this will show the public we're not crazy toy-obsessed adults. Probably not, but oh well. :HEADHURTS:

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #145 - May Mayhem