Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert

Transformers News: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert

Friday, August 24th, 2012 12:06AM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 38,433

Courtesy of Amazon.jp we have official images of Takara Tomy's upcoming Masterpiece figures MP-13 Soundwave with Laserbeak and MP-14 Red Alert. Enjoy the images mirrored below, both are scheduled toward the end of the year.

Credit(s): Amazon Japan
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412867)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on August 24th, 2012 @ 12:21am CDT
What's that mini vacuum cleaner thing attached to Soundwave's hand? An Amazon.jp exclusive again?
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412887)
Posted by frogbat on August 24th, 2012 @ 1:50am CDT
Ah these look good but I might skip.... The thing that kinda bothers me is that I'd rather see characters that were never given a good toy form.... Prime I understand (maybe not the 2 versions) and well grimlock is grimlock.. The other masterpieces... Rodimus, megs, starscream and co all had shitty toys and sorely needed decent homages.

The original sound wave toy was IMHO one of the best g1 toys as It was close to the cartoon.. This version doesn't bring much more to the table.. For the price I'd liked to have seen some mp3 playing gimmick or some proper mass shifting lol. Sideswipe though was a blockformer looked like his cartoon self in both molds, besides which the classics versions are very good.

Ultra Magnus and Galvatron... Now those would be masterpieces worth selling a kidney for..
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412888)
Posted by Mindmaster on August 24th, 2012 @ 1:50am CDT
Hope to God Soundwave gets a domestic release. I would rather have this than the Voyager Soundwave that uses his FOC design.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412889)
Posted by hattknall on August 24th, 2012 @ 1:51am CDT
Very nice pic. =P~ CanĀ“t wait until they are released. :D
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412894)
Posted by kirbenvost on August 24th, 2012 @ 1:57am CDT
Freakin' badass! I cannot wait for Soundwave!
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412895)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on August 24th, 2012 @ 1:59am CDT
Damn, these look good. Soundwave has a little more silver in him than I expected. I absolutely love the energon cube gimmick! I'm genuinely impressed by laserbeak too. I wish he was standing next to Prime in the last picture for a good size comparison.

MP-Red Alert is a solid repaint/remold. I think I may like him even more than Sideswipe.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412898)
Posted by RhA on August 24th, 2012 @ 2:03am CDT
Why no pictures of the crazysparks?
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412899)
Posted by Mindmaster on August 24th, 2012 @ 2:05am CDT
amcgrath929 wrote:I wish he was standing next to Prime in the last picture for a good size comparison.

If memory serves right, I believe he's about the same height as Optimus, maybe half an inch shorter.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412904)
Posted by robotmel on August 24th, 2012 @ 2:35am CDT
:D
I have to admit I wasnt fully convinced from the beginning when we first started seeing proto shots and discussions about sizing etc, but now I am starting to feel the love..! :BOT:

I mean, theres none attached to Sideswipes shoulders as they are shown in the transformation as being tucked in under bonnet (hood)sooooo...? :???:

I know these are not quite out yet but when they are those shoulder wheels will no doubt be an unsightly annoyance for some. I wonder if there removal would leave a hole or gap? Perhaps a 3rd Party will 'fix' it? ;)
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412905)
Posted by alldarker on August 24th, 2012 @ 2:49am CDT
Soundwave is just gorgeous, as is Laserbeak.

And all those new pictures of Sideswipe finally forced me to put in a pre-order for one with Robotkingdom.

Still not at all keen on the fake shoulder wheels of Red Alert.
robotmel wrote:I thought Red Alert would have been the cooler of the the two but seeing those fake wheels stuck on his shoulders, what was the thinking behind all that then?

Red Alert in the cartoon had wheels on his shoulders in robot mode, while Sideswipe didn't in his animation model.

Masterpieces seem to be focussed on this animation similarity for the robot modes: hence the shoulder wheels on Red Alert and the lack of those wheels on Sideswipe. Logically, Sideswipe was the main inspiration, while Red Alert was the 'afterthought'. Of course, for true cartoon accuracy, those wheels on Red Alert should be much bigger, but design constraints made that impossible.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412910)
Posted by Ravage XK on August 24th, 2012 @ 3:13am CDT
Is it only me that thinks the finish quality on Soundwave is terrible?
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412912)
Posted by alldarker on August 24th, 2012 @ 3:24am CDT
Ravage XK wrote:Is it only me that thinks the finish quality on Soundwave is terrible?

I notioced that myself.
I might be mistaken, but these pictures of Soundwave look to me to be handpainted. It's even more visible on Laserbeak. In that case, the production version of both will be a lot neater.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412915)
Posted by CrimsonPrime on August 24th, 2012 @ 3:53am CDT
Absolutely awesome !!! Cant wait to have Soundwave in my collection :D. In fact I plan on making him my 100th transformers. The best part is that he will be release near my birthday so I can just ask my mom to buy it for me as a present xP. Kidney saved xD~
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412922)
Posted by ento on August 24th, 2012 @ 4:58am CDT
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412929)
Posted by OmicronZero on August 24th, 2012 @ 5:37am CDT
ento wrote:That sure looks like an SD card slot on the left side of Soundwave in the first pic.

There do appear to be slots/plugs on that side of the figure's alt mode. Looks like... a USB maybe, a pair of audio (most likely 'out' and 'in'), and a card slot. That's some impressive detail. I assume it is just detail, despite the fact that a tape deck with a USB plug and an SD Card slot seems kind of strange. It would be insanely awesome if it turned out that TakaraTomy did put some kind of MP3 player or some-such in the figure though.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412931)
Posted by alldarker on August 24th, 2012 @ 5:47am CDT
Those slots... Are strange. It's not detail that's obvious in robot mode, and the location in alt mode isn't very visible either. As plain details, they might just as well been left out. Actually, I can't even really see where that part with the slots moves to in robot mode: it seems like those parts fold into the rear of his legs? The legs are the parts with the most available bulk to them to contain something like electronics: his main torso needs to contain a maximum of three casettes, so that will not have much available space.

Adding an MP3 player isn't very expensive, and the (pretty hefty) retail price for this item would definitely allow for something extra. The attachment below is the relevant detail, taken from the Amazon.jp site.

<!-- ia0 -->MP Soundwave slots.JPG<!-- ia0 -->
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412944)
Posted by grayj74 on August 24th, 2012 @ 7:30am CDT
Way over a thousand now in my collection. These minus the Red Alert will be a nice addition to my collection. I have to wonder how much these will be selling for and how soon after a masterpiece ravage will be available.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412945)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on August 24th, 2012 @ 7:31am CDT
Sold.... Takara just take all my money.. Thanks..
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412951)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on August 24th, 2012 @ 7:43am CDT
If Soundwave has MP3 support of some type, then this figure just went from "yeah, he's cool..." to "OMG WANT."

I would LOVE to be able to use a MP sized Soundwave as a music player in my office.

Here comes the "panic" moment though... IF it does have electronics... will they be removed for the eventual US release?
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy MP-13 Soundwave and MP-14 Red Alert (1412979)
Posted by starwarrior1227 on August 24th, 2012 @ 9:36am CDT