Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers News: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 8:40AM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 29,611

By way of Transformers Korea we now have official images of Takara Tomy's upcoming officially licensed Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime. The figure will apparently come in multiple decos, stands just under 6 inches tall in robot mode, and will require a certain level of assembly (think the previously Trans Scanning movie figures). See the images mirrored below.

Update: Takara Tomy have also updated their official Transformers website, which includes official images of the radio controlled version.

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime in the Works

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime in the Works

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime in the Works

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime in the Works

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime in the Works
Credit(s): Transformers Korea, Takara Tomy
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513530)
Posted by GuyIncognito on August 23rd, 2013 @ 8:47am CDT

NOW it's on my must-buy list! I love the FJ Cruiser design, and this looks like a cool (and fun) figure that hopefully will display nicely alongside my four Alternators.

Now the question is: will this be a regular retail release in Japan? Will sites like BBTS be carrying it? Will we (in the U.S.) actually be able to buy it for roughly $45 (+ import cost and shipping)? Or is this one of those odd-ball Japanese exclusives that's only going to be sold at one particular chain of camera stores and will go for like $250 online?
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513558)
Posted by kirbenvost on August 23rd, 2013 @ 11:40am CDT
Nope, this is not for me. I love the FJ Cruiser but it doesn't make a good Optimus Prime, and I don't like the design of this figure. The building gimmick make it look like they had to simplify the figure compared to a normal Transformer. Further, it doesn't really fit in anywhere in my collection, except maybe my random OP shelf, but it's not awesome enough for that. Looks like just another oddball release, much like the Trans-Scanning figures.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513569)
Posted by Venowtron on August 23rd, 2013 @ 12:45pm CDT
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513575)
Posted by Mindmaster on August 23rd, 2013 @ 1:03pm CDT
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513583)
Posted by Mkall on August 23rd, 2013 @ 1:59pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:Make it a different character (no Nemesis Primes or Scourges), and I'm immediately sold.

Indeed. I'm wondering if I can find a junker alternator with a head that'll fit this character.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513635)
Posted by dragons on August 23rd, 2013 @ 7:43pm CDT
Looks good not good enough to buy.

Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513650)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 23rd, 2013 @ 8:40pm CDT
Toxitron! :P

dragons wrote:Since when did prime become next bumblebee every new transformer is bumblebee or prime wheres love for other charcters decpticons
Bad guys don't sell as well as (iconic) good guys in Japanese markets.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513700)
Posted by EagleTron on August 24th, 2013 @ 2:12am CDT
See I knew it. I knew this good looking fj cruiser mould would turn out to be a good toy and a not bad looking robot. Good job so far Takara on this one and I said So Far. I also don't recall seeing a switching parts gimmick like this one before. It just gives me a good thought of what the possibilities Transformers toys can evolve into.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513711)
Posted by Mykltron on August 24th, 2013 @ 4:29am CDT
YELLOW OPTIMUS?! Surely they'll rename it Bumblebee.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513712)
Posted by Mykltron on August 24th, 2013 @ 4:33am CDT
GuyIncognito wrote:[/img]

At 13cm it's going to look too small next to Alternators. This is more Alternity size.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513713)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on August 24th, 2013 @ 4:41am CDT
Mykltron wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:[/img]

As an SUV, it's too small to scale in with even Alternity. Heck, at a mere 130mm in bot mode, it's even shorter than MP Lambor. Using a ruler, I measured MP Lambor, and the FJ Optimus would stand up to about half an inch below Lambor's shoulder.

He's a standalone display figure at best, unless you customize him into Brawn or something.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513717)
Posted by robotmel on August 24th, 2013 @ 5:14am CDT
>:oP
At 13cm this will be a small Deluxe sized figure and probably at a premium price point too? :-?

It could really be just about any character but popping an Optimus Prime head on it will obviously be the first choice for a new figure.

I guess this could sit well in a Cyberverse/Legends scale type display? :???:
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513730)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 24th, 2013 @ 8:24am CDT
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513753)
Posted by Mykltron on August 24th, 2013 @ 10:49am CDT
No video with dramatic camera angles can make that thing look good.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513758)
Posted by Metrosuplex on August 24th, 2013 @ 11:00am CDT
Smaller figure, more $$$$. The future is NOW. ;)

Pass for me. The alt mode is meh, and the robo form is no where near the level of that concept art! :BANG_HEAD:

I'm gonna say it: Takara, this is awful. A 3rd Party could do better. Plus, they wouldn't shrink it down. And they would make it not-Optimus.

I get that Optimus sells, but this set is kind of out of the blue... Did someone on staff want a Toyota at a big discount? "Okay, okay, okay! How about this? We make a TF figure and promote your car... you give me... free car? :ic$: " I'm sure the cross-promo is a little more lucrative than that... but I don't see it.

Isn't this SUV too big for Asian markets anyway? :???:
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513799)
Posted by xyl360 on August 24th, 2013 @ 3:54pm CDT
Yeah, the bot mode of the RC version totally looks junky, but I might still buy it simply for the novelty. It seems like it would be quite fun to see a Transformer transform for real right in front of my eyes by itself like that. I believe that as time goes on they're going to improve upon this concept greatly as I suggested previously.
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1513873)
Posted by Emerje on August 25th, 2013 @ 2:05am CDT
xyl360 wrote:Yeah, the bot mode of the RC version totally looks junky, but I might still buy it simply for the novelty.

RC Prime isn't exactly the type of thing you buy just for the sake of having it. Mind you the bot mode is Fortress Maximus-size at 600mm or just a little over 23 inches. If Takara Tomy can sell him for under a Grand I'll be impressed.

As for the action figure version I'm hoping to get the retail version. It's priced high at 4,200yen, but Japanese exporters will offer a discount and it comes with both white and yellow parts. Since all of the colored parts are model pieces it'll be easily repainted red with simple spray paint.

People keep comparing these to the Trans-Scan kits, but these are in a higher league. The TS kits were basically just a body folded up inside a vehicle shell and the bot mode only looked good if you took all the parts off. These make better use of the FJ parts in the bot mode and the only real kibble is on the back. I wouldn't mind seeing more action models like this.

Emerje
Re: Official Images: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime - Radio Controlled and Manual Versions (1514309)
Posted by xyl360 on August 27th, 2013 @ 5:40pm CDT
Emerje wrote:

Yeah, not just for the sake of having it, but like I said, for the novelty of it. It's new, it's different, and it looks fun. Kids would go crazy over this. I know I would have when I was a kid. Hell, the Jumpstarters were amazing to me, and all they did was roll and flip into bot mode. This thing actually *transforms*. As shitty as the bot mode may look, it's still an incredible feat of engineering and a damn fun looking RC toy.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism