Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art

Transformers News: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art

Saturday, September 28th, 2013 10:03AM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 22,503

To coincide with the release of Takara Tomy's Transformers Masterpiece MP-17 Prowl, the figure's designer, Shogo Hasui, has tweeted an image of the original Diaclone Fairlady Z concept art. This figure went on to become Generation 1 Prowl, Bluestreak, and Smokescreen. As you can see many of the design elements made it from concept to reality with the exception of the head sculpt, which is considerable different. Check out the image mirrored below.

Transformers News: Re: MP Prowl & Streak - Official Images
Credit(s): Shogo Hasui

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520562)
Posted by KorbinJones on September 28th, 2013 @ 10:39am CDT
I'd buy a yellow repaint with a new head!
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520568)
Posted by triKlops on September 28th, 2013 @ 10:59am CDT
This is great to see how far the design travels from concept to physical form.
Would be an interesting Botcon/ TFCC exclusive repaint/ retool on a deluxe down the line.
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520569)
Posted by spiderbob007 on September 28th, 2013 @ 11:00am CDT
The head reminds me of a samurai helmet.

I would love to see more concept art of this nature, and of course toys.

Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520571)
Posted by Down_Shift on September 28th, 2013 @ 11:03am CDT
Come on eHobby, don't fail me now!!
:-B
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520573)
Posted by Windsweeper on September 28th, 2013 @ 11:15am CDT
No offence but that head is hideous. Prowl wouldn't be my favourite Autobot if he looked like that. It's like Prowl possessed by Unicron.
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520575)
Posted by Stormrider on September 28th, 2013 @ 11:31am CDT
spiderbob007 wrote:The head reminds me of a samurai helmet.

I would love to see more concept art of this nature, and of course toys.

Very observant. :D Many of the Diaclone and G1 Tranformers heads were based on Samurai helmets. The crests, horns, and faceplates are the most notable features. (This was a common theme in Japanese robot cartoons in the 1980s.

Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520583)
Posted by Rated X on September 28th, 2013 @ 12:40pm CDT
I want one from the classics prowl mold. A custom might not be too hard to pull off since white plastic can be dyed and red parts can be swapped from Smokescreen/Bluestreak. But creating a new head would be out of my skill level...
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520586)
Posted by stocky on September 28th, 2013 @ 1:21pm CDT

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:BurdenHarde ... Matrix.jpg
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520591)
Posted by Cyberpath on September 28th, 2013 @ 1:50pm CDT
stocky wrote:I could be wrong, but that head looks an AWFUL lot like Wildrider's -- at least the head that they used for the animation in the original cartoons. Wonder if this concept sketch is where they got the design that they used in the cartoon...

Funny that you bring up Wildrider's head, just last night I found this article about the Stunticons, suggesting that Floro Dery worked off early toy designs of the Stunticons when he created their cartoon models. (Save for Motormaster.)

It explains why their cartoon-heads are so different than the finalised toy-heads. And how Dragstrip got his horizontal two-wheels shoulders.

Not really related to Prowl, but an interesting piece of trivia.
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520619)
Posted by Rated X on September 28th, 2013 @ 4:47pm CDT
Cyberpath wrote:

Not really related to Prowl, but an interesting piece of trivia.

Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520633)
Posted by Cyberpath on September 28th, 2013 @ 6:39pm CDT
Rated X wrote:The reason the stunticons toy heads are so different is because of 1986 combiner port technology that required square heads. I dont know if the toys were created after the cartoon or vice-versa, But it was the release of Menasor and Superion that introduced the square head for all G1 combiner limb figures to come. That's why I hate when 3rd parties go with toy accurate heads and ignore cartoon accuracy. The heads were square for a reason and it wasnt to look cool.

The Combaticons & Protectobots toys also had square-heads, yet their heads were fairly cartoon-accurate.

Compared to them, the Stunticons & Aerialbots had vastly different faces than the toys, and I kind of always wondered why. This article explains that the show designer must have worked from early concept sketches provided in the series "bible" when he designed the Stunticons & Aerialbots.
http://www.ntfa.net/forums/lofiversion/ ... t5792.html

I agree, I also prefer the cartoon models!

And on the subject of Nissan police cars, I always appreciated how Streetwise's toy had a proper head. :)
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520640)
Posted by Sabrblade on September 28th, 2013 @ 7:16pm CDT
And this design was meant to be for a human-piloted mech.

spiderbob007 wrote:The head reminds me of a samurai helmet.

I would love to see more concept art of this nature, and of course toys.

Good thing we got the Go! toyline giving us just that. :D

Yeah, the toy molds for the four 1986 combiners were made before they appeared in the cartoon and comics, since they (and Metroplex's toy mold) were originally created for an aborted spinoff line of Diaclone called Jizai Gattai (but its toy molds were completed far enough in the design process to be rebranded into Transformers toys). ;)
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520676)
Posted by Valandar on September 29th, 2013 @ 10:19am CDT
Oddly, that head actually makes me think of the Junkions.
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520677)
Posted by Bowspearer on September 29th, 2013 @ 10:23am CDT

To bring this full circle though, I found a review online already for MP Prowl:

Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520710)
Posted by Sabrblade on September 29th, 2013 @ 1:50pm CDT
Bowspearer wrote:Firstly, the toy would have come before the cartoon design did as the diaclone line was well in production still in 1984 and concepts for the 85 line at the very least would have been well and truly in the prototype stage.
Exactly. They were planned for Jizai Gattai before Transformers. ;)
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520756)
Posted by Bowspearer on September 30th, 2013 @ 3:42am CDT
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520794)
Posted by Sabrblade on September 30th, 2013 @ 7:18am CDT
Bowspearer wrote:I know, my point was that it was anything but a "the chicken or the egg" situation.
Right on. ;)^
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1520943)
Posted by Son of Carl on September 30th, 2013 @ 8:47pm CDT
Just got my shipping notification this morning. I've been waiting for Prowl since I started collecting this line way back with MP-03 and MP-04.

My wait is almost over.
Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1521235)
Posted by El Duque on October 2nd, 2013 @ 8:08am CDT
Thanks to TransformersKorea we have some new official images of Takara Tomy's upcoming Transformers Masterpiece figures MP-18 Bluestreak and MP-19 Smokescreen. Bluestreak is due to release this month, with Smokescreen scheduled for December.

Re: Original Diaclone Fairlady Z Concept Art (1521246)
Posted by Bowspearer on October 2nd, 2013 @ 8:36am CDT
Smokescreen looks absolutely brilliant. Looks like Jazz has his upper arms and shoulders sorted out when he comes along too.

Ending Soon On eBay

SDCC 2015 Exclusive KRE-O Transformers Cybertron KREON Class of 1985 Complete - Time Remaining: 6 days 7 hours 51 minutes 34 seconds
Transformers Beast Wars Animorphs - Mega Visser Three/Inferno Creature (MIB) - Time Remaining: 5 days 11 hours 23 minutes 15 seconds
For Takara Transformers Masterpiece MP-28 RODIMUS Action Figure G1+COIN hot rod - Time Remaining: 5 days 22 hours 39 minutes 12 seconds
TRANSFORMERS BOTCON EUROPE KEY CHAIN : ROOK -- UNOPENED - Time Remaining: 6 days 20 hours 47 minutes 30 seconds
TRANSFORMERS GEN 1 : GALVATRON --- LOOSE ,,DOES NOT WORK - Time Remaining: 6 days 13 hours 37 minutes 18 seconds
Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Action Figure Robots - Time Remaining: 6 days 15 hours 38 minutes 12 seconds
TRANSFORMERS CYBERTRON RID BLASTCHARGE vs HIGH WIRE MINI CON CLASS 2 PACK RID - Time Remaining: 6 days 11 hours 53 minutes 42 seconds
Transformers Ultimate Bumblebee Battle Charged New Revenge of the Fallen Camaro - Time Remaining: 6 days 5 hours 48 minutes 54 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #146 - Happy Accidents