Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Owning MP Megatron in Australia

Transformers News: Owning MP Megatron in Australia

Tuesday, September 25th, 2007 6:42PM CDT

Categories: Editorials, Media, Toy News
Posted by: i_amtrunks   Views: 21,641

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

For those who may have missed all the news a few months ago when Masterpiece Megatron was released, a number of Australian collectors found their MP Megatron's seized by Australian Customs.

They had decided that MP Megatron was to be classified as a "replica firearm" and could only be imported if you had appropriate licenses and what not.

Not all Megatron's were seized and some made it through, but a number of them were which spurred Australian Collector Tiby (a practicing Lawyer) into action to help his fellow collectors get their hands on Megatron without too much hassle.

The result hasn't been highly overwhelming but the Government and Customs have made regulations for collectors to import and own Megatron legally.

The full story

Tiby :
Announcement on 25 September 2007 by Police Minister David Campbell. Click here

I am setting up a collector's club which will be open for collectors to join, and thereby fulfil one of the requirements for owning Masterpiece Megatron. To quote the Minister, the requirements are as follows:

· Undergoing a criminal and probity check;

· Providing a genuine reason for ownership of the toy;

· Providing proof of membership to a collector’s club; and

· Abiding by safe storage, surrender and disposal requirements.

The criminal and probity check is a Firearms Registry requirement, and usually done by local police.

A genuine reason for ownership of the toy is that a person is a collector of Transformers.

Proof of membership of a collector's club will be part of what I will provide in the club.

Safe storage includes a locked cabinet. I recommend the following:

Display and Rack Systems

I will update this site as the club progresses with more details on how to join.

Thanks for your support!


The collector's club he's setting will no doubt be Australian only, however if you're Australian and already a member of the international club that should cover you.

Either way, plenty of hoops to jump through just to own a toy.
Credit(s): Burn, Tiby
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (362968)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on September 25th, 2007 @ 6:47pm CDT
You know I read this, but couldn't believe it!

It struck me as so bizzar that I even dropped my a thread of my own about it cause I was so curious(it was before it became news).

http://www.seibertron.com/forums/viewto ... id=#362976

Hell, this is one of the more rediculious things I've ever heard. Still as I've said in that thread, if you have a hard time getting this, I could maybe help you out as I have a conection who's good at shipping.

It's a passtime, ask anyone from Jersey who had good fireworks all summer long. Illegal in Jersey, legal in Pennsy, yet odly you keed a out of state ID to get the good stuff there as it's illegal to sell to residents :???:

I monopolized on this when my PA friends would take me to the fireworks store everytime I came to visit. And after my good friend Kenny got deported unfairly, we just figured why not go global?

Talk to your boy if you need to...

Stupid laws need to be subverted to make them laws no more. I say this as an advocate of US gun control.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (362971)
Posted by Sledge on September 25th, 2007 @ 6:47pm CDT
UK TF-collecters might want to check they're going to be OK buying Megs after the end of this month. A piece of legislation called the Violent Crime Reduction Act will make it pretty much illegal to buy or import replica guns. Still, at least it'll stop all those shootings that we get. :-?
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (362973)
Posted by 1337W422102 on September 25th, 2007 @ 6:49pm CDT
Meanwhile the guys who want to get real guns meet in the truck behind the Arby's downtown in the middle of the night and no one is the wiser.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (362984)
Posted by DorkimusPrime on September 25th, 2007 @ 6:54pm CDT
Some Aussie government officials have their pretty pink panties in a wad over nothing...
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363009)
Posted by voice of hoist on September 25th, 2007 @ 7:10pm CDT
Meanwhile, I just bought an encore megatron - a realistically sized handgun - in Australia, no questions asked. This is stupid beyond belief.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363010)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on September 25th, 2007 @ 7:10pm CDT
1337W422102 wrote:Meanwhile the guys who want to get real guns meet in the truck behind the Arby's downtown in the middle of the night and no one is the wiser.


Well what do you expect, law enforcement to risk there asses chasing real crime.

Not to say all folks in that field are cowardly, but I'm from a high crime area, and I've seen enough people turn enough heads where that stament becomes a sad truth.

Hell, just the otherday, and this is for real, I saw a man crying at the counter of my liquor store. I figured him homeless, as thats normaly the case. But I saw a playback of the stoeres after hour security camera. It showed a large group of kids beating on a single kid. The man looked up, told me it was his son.

The part that got him most as the tape was replayed on aloop was the North Arlington cop car that decided to keep driving by.

So I agree with you, F the real crimes, lets stop these dam unrealistic gun toys!
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363015)
Posted by Stormrider on September 25th, 2007 @ 7:12pm CDT
Does this mean that Police Minister David Campbell belongs to a Transformers Club now? 8)
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363070)
Posted by Toyotus Superion on September 25th, 2007 @ 7:38pm CDT
Wow. Another reason to not live in Au. At least here in the US we can get it if they plug the tip with a removeable orange plug.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363081)
Posted by Burn on September 25th, 2007 @ 7:46pm CDT
DorkimusPrime wrote:Some Aussie government officials have their pretty pink panties in a wad over nothing...


Not true.

A number of years ago a little event occurred called the "Port Arthur Massacre". One man walked into a restaurant and let loose with his guns, as far as I know it's still the record.

Following that there was a massive crackdown on guns in Australia. Automatic and semi-automatic were banned completely. The Government also funded a buy-back scheme where owners turned in theirs guns and got paid for them, that stockpile was subsequently destroyed.

Then they tightened licensing laws. On top of that they also tightened laws regarding "replica firearms".

The original G1 Megatron was in fact banned in certain States of Australia back in the 80's when he was used in an armed hold-up.

So that's why Megatron has now been classed as a replica firearm. Little bit over-sized? Yes. But how many people working a convenience store will notice that when there's some masked person waving a gun at their face?

Yeah, it is a toy, but unfortunately he (both MP and G1) can be considered replica firearms. I'd much rather these rules stay in place than have them softened.

So yeah, you may think it's a stupid rule, but you don't realise what lead to these rules being introduced in the first place, and i'm glad the rules were changed to prevent something like that.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363084)
Posted by Klusterprime on September 25th, 2007 @ 7:49pm CDT
Has there ever been a report of this toy being used in a crime Ever anywhere? Guess so :-(
Burn said:The original G1 Megatron was in fact banned in certain States of Australia back in the 80's when he was used in an armed hold-up

I am all for gun control to dam many of them and they hurt :sad: .
The goverment does not have the sense god gave a green apple and no matter what we still do it there way.
Silly humans will you never learn.

Clusterprime
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363093)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 25th, 2007 @ 7:51pm CDT
Cant believe Port Arthur was 11 years ago...

What really gets me riled up is that they are trying to stop as many MP Megatron's entering the country, yet doing absolutely nothing about the Encore Megatron's, or any of the hundreds of correct scale "toy" guns you can get in $2 shops.

It reeks of a money making exercise.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363106)
Posted by jgilkinson on September 25th, 2007 @ 7:56pm CDT
Loki41872 wrote:That's why on census forms or loan applications I allways check the "Native American" box. I'm not a member of a tribe, but I was born here, thus I'm "Native".


While funny as hell you do raise a valid point
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363112)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on September 25th, 2007 @ 7:58pm CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:It's serious Leige.

And each State has slightly different rules, laws, by-laws and loopholes. For Example people from New South Wales (where I come from) had alot of problems with importing MP05 Megatron, but as yet no complaints about Encore Megatron.
Victoria and South Australia had some issues but many fans reported getting their figures problem free.

Go figure.


See this is why I live with an outlaw mentality. I'm not looking to do wrong to anybody unless they do it to me first.

But on that same note, while there are many rules set up to provide safety and well being to general populace. Some are just irrational when their inital intent is misconstrued in examples such as this.

Thats why I say, subvert these laws, show the folly of a good idea gone bad, and get that idea back on the path it was origionaly ment for.

Civilization in general will be better off for it.

Examples of this are The Civil War, WWII, Tenimen Square, That ime Ernie and I walked out of class cause teacher called him a name that should just die out, and so on and so on....

Failure to challange a system only leads to once noble ideas turn to events like this.

Orange plugs are one thing, but this is something that should be shown to any system to show it's ignorance in aplied policy.

I live half a world away, but show me a petition, and I'll sign it!

Let this statment be my adendem.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363127)
Posted by Stormrider on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:07pm CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:Cant believe Port Arthur was 11 years ago...

What really gets me riled up is that they are trying to stop as many MP Megatron's entering the country, yet doing absolutely nothing about the Encore Megatron's, or any of the hundreds of correct scale "toy" guns you can get in $2 shops.

It reeks of a money making exercise.


It's a good example of officials setting their sight on something without taking in the whole matter.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363132)
Posted by Burn on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:07pm CDT
So you want to jump up and down to repeal laws set up to protect the general populace ... all because of a toy?

Yeah ... no thanks, i'll look at the bigger picture. Someone care to quote the figures from America when the gun laws were softened over there a few years back? ;;)

Of course the hypocritical thing is that while I support these gun laws, I do own a MP Megatron, a G1 Megatron, a G1 Megaplex and a G1 Browning but i'd much rather get the appropriate permits than fight a law that's prevented another Port Arthur.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363147)
Posted by Megatron643 on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:16pm CDT
Burn wrote:For those who may have missed all the news a few months ago when Masterpiece Megatron was released, a number of Australian collectors found their MP Megatron's seized by Australian Customs.

They had decided that MP Megatron was to be classified as a "replica firearm" and could only be imported if you had appropriate licenses and what not.

Not all Megatron's were seized and some made it through, but a number of them were which spurred Australian Collector Tiby (a practicing Lawyer) into action to help his fellow collectors get their hands on Megatron without too much hassle.

The result hasn't been highly overwhelming but the Government and Customs have made regulations for collectors to import and own Megatron legally.

The full story

Tiby wrote:Announcement on 25 September 2007 by Police Minister David Campbell. Click here

I am setting up a collector's club which will be open for collectors to join, and thereby fulfil one of the requirements for owning Masterpiece Megatron. To quote the Minister, the requirements are as follows:

· Undergoing a criminal and probity check;

· Providing a genuine reason for ownership of the toy;

· Providing proof of membership to a collector’s club; and

· Abiding by safe storage, surrender and disposal requirements.

The criminal and probity check is a Firearms Registry requirement, and usually done by local police.

A genuine reason for ownership of the toy is that a person is a collector of Transformers.

Proof of membership of a collector's club will be part of what I will provide in the club.

Safe storage includes a locked cabinet. I recommend the following:

Display and Rack Systems

I will update this site as the club progresses with more details on how to join.

Thanks for your support!


The collector's club he's setting will no doubt be Australian only, however if you're Australian and already a member of the international club that should cover you.

Either way, plenty of hoops to jump through just to own a toy.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363148)
Posted by Ultra Markus on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:16pm CDT
those officials just want them for there own collection or sell them on ebay for 100% profit.
I wonder if the USA collectors has had any problem?
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363175)
Posted by Blozor on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:34pm CDT
Burn wrote:So that's why Megatron has now been classed as a replica firearm. Little bit over-sized? Yes. But how many people working a convenience store will notice that when there's some masked person waving a gun at their face?


If I was being robbed, I'd rather the gun in front of me be a fake one than a real one. If the robber got shot because the police couldn't discern whether or not the gun was real, then that's what you get for trying to commit an armed robbery with a toy gun.

I can't believe I'd have to buy a locked gun rack for a figure that would be displayed in robot mode anyway. There's something destined for storage... Actually, I just checked the link, and the acrylic display case doesn't look bad. I kind of want one to display my figures. Probably why he chose to link to that, though. It's more of a cabinet than an actual gun rack.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363176)
Posted by Stormrider on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:34pm CDT
Burn wrote:So you want to jump up and down to repeal laws set up to protect the general populace ... all because of a toy?

Yeah ... no thanks, i'll look at the bigger picture. Someone care to quote the figures from America when the gun laws were softened over there a few years back? ;;)

Of course the hypocritical thing is that while I support these gun laws, I do own a MP Megatron, a G1 Megatron, a G1 Megaplex and a G1 Browning but i'd much rather get the appropriate permits than fight a law that's prevented another Port Arthur.


I'm not advocating repealing laws. I am stating that it is ironic that there are restrictions put into place for MP Megatron, and no restictions for the other G1 Megatron guns.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363180)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:37pm CDT
Burn wrote:So you want to jump up and down to repeal laws set up to protect the general populace ... all because of a toy?

Yeah ... no thanks, i'll look at the bigger picture. Someone care to quote the figures from America when the gun laws were softened over there a few years back? ;;)

Of course the hypocritical thing is that while I support these gun laws, I do own a MP Megatron, a G1 Megatron, a G1 Megaplex and a G1 Browning but i'd much rather get the appropriate permits than fight a law that's prevented another Port Arthur.


NO NO NO NO NO, just make a point of showing how good ideas fail when aplied to something other than there initial intent.

I am an advocate of gun control, hell one day I'll send you some pics of the billboards where I live, you'll see how serious I am about it as it's no joke in The Bricks!

But even good laws, when set to impractical practices, can become bad.

I say get them back on track of their origional intent, and take their otherwise great intents off these farces.

When I say I subvert laws, I mean it, I do. I wouldn't sell a pack of cigarrets to a todler, but I'll gladly score a box of palmtrees for someone who knows about mortars and knows how to launch them.

And this is even less than that. This is a toy, not a drug or explosive. It can't hurt anything but ones own wallet.

A civil disobedience in ordering this item with a consequence being showing a goverment just how far off course the intents of it's have tread...

well, that might just be a fight worth taking up.

Whats the worst that will happen, you'll get an awesome(yet fragile) figure, and a system will look closer at the applications of it's directives.

Hell, thats good in my book.

And the reason that I mention the things I have in previous posts here, as well as run my own(granted now pointless)thread, is just to prove that I do stand by this type of idea, weither it be America, Australia, Taiwan, or where ever...

It's always better to show a misimplied laws folly, than let a system continue to make it perverse.

This is the main reason why I made it a point to order a clean figure from a semi-industrialized source. I didn't want to be a victim what I just expressed.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363181)
Posted by Calvatron on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:38pm CDT
Burn wrote:
DorkimusPrime wrote:Some Aussie government officials have their pretty pink panties in a wad over nothing...


Not true.

A number of years ago a little event occurred called the "Port Arthur Massacre". One man walked into a restaurant and let loose with his guns, as far as I know it's still the record.

Following that there was a massive crackdown on guns in Australia. Automatic and semi-automatic were banned completely. The Government also funded a buy-back scheme where owners turned in theirs guns and got paid for them, that stockpile was subsequently destroyed.

Then they tightened licensing laws. On top of that they also tightened laws regarding "replica firearms".

The original G1 Megatron was in fact banned in certain States of Australia back in the 80's when he was used in an armed hold-up.

So that's why Megatron has now been classed as a replica firearm. Little bit over-sized? Yes. But how many people working a convenience store will notice that when there's some masked person waving a gun at their face?

Yeah, it is a toy, but unfortunately he (both MP and G1) can be considered replica firearms. I'd much rather these rules stay in place than have them softened.

So yeah, you may think it's a stupid rule, but you don't realise what lead to these rules being introduced in the first place, and i'm glad the rules were changed to prevent something like that.




whatever, you live in a country of 60+ million people. And you're talking about 2 or 3 incidencts in 20 years. the quality of life that comes with freedom from government overuling is well worth the minimal cost in lives. Especially when statistics(which are all lies in themselves) prove that that when one source of violence is suppressed another shows up to refill the resevoir. My point being is the people that committed those crimes would have done so whether or not they had to work to get weapons(fakes). It's a matter of desire, not availability. The rules were changed, and murderers now use knives. so what. there are still murderers and we're one step closer to 1984. Sorry to be harsh, but people like you elected george bush, and now the U.S is declining as a country. we had hit our high mark. And we have more violence and unrest than ever. I know this is about a toy, but you people piss me off. if i have gotten you wrong, i'm sorry.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363186)
Posted by Burn on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:42pm CDT
Calvatron wrote:whatever, you live in a country of 60+ million people. And you're talking about 2 or 3 incidencts in 20 years. the quality of life that comes with freedom from government overuling is well worth the minimal cost in lives. Especially when statistics(which are all lies in themselves) prove that that when one source of violence is suppressed another shows up to refill the resevoir. My point being is the people that committed those crimes would have done so whether or not they had to work to get weapons(fakes). It's a matter of desire, not availability. The rules were changed, and murderers now use knives. so what. there are still murderers and we're one step closer to 1984. Sorry to be harsh, but people like you elected george bush, and now the U.S is declining as a country. we had hit our high mark. And we have more violence and unrest than ever. I know this is about a toy, but you people piss me off. if i have gotten you wrong, i'm sorry.


Seeing as you quoted me i'm not sure if that was aimed at me or not.

Considering i'm an Australian and actually affected by these laws, unless I do what one of the local Doctors did in town and hide my stash (admittedly four toy guns is nothing compared to his small arsenal) under the chook house.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363191)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:45pm CDT
Ultra Markus wrote:those officials just want them for there own collection or sell them on ebay for 100% profit.
I wonder if the USA collectors has had any problem?


Nope, even after the hype wagon was rolling strong, placed my order, got him sealed amd clean, no muss, no fuss.

Even if the package was X-Rayed in shipping, a hand full of screws and die-cast feet would offer nothing to give the indication that this is any sort of real gun.

A closer inspection will only conclusively confirm that.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363200)
Posted by Moonbase2 on September 25th, 2007 @ 8:53pm CDT
What makes America so different from the rest of the civilized world when it comes to violent crime? I mean, doesn't Australia have gangs? Do they somehow get guns? I wonder if America cracked down on guns like Australia has if it would really get better. My husband maintains that doing so would mean only criminals get guns. He thinks that the average Joe should have any (legal) gun he wants. I've had to drag him away from AK-47s every time we visit a gun store. To me, having weapons like that is just scary and you're asking for tragedy.

As for Megatron, well, if they don't do it for other toy guns there, what's the point doing it for this particular toy?
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363217)
Posted by Burn on September 25th, 2007 @ 9:02pm CDT
Sure the gangs in Australia get guns, handguns, which are still fairly readily available even with a license, because they're not on the banned list like automatic or semi-automatic they're much easier to pick up on the black market.

But guns are for pussies, if you're going to inflict harm on someone in Australia you use your fists or head dammit! :P

I think the difference between Megatron and a toy gun from a $2 store is in the detailing. Megatron is far closer to realistic than the plastic ones you find in the stores now.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363230)
Posted by Moonbase2 on September 25th, 2007 @ 9:12pm CDT
Well, I don't see the point of buying a semi automatic gun in the first place if you're just an average joe, but that's me. And aumotatics are completely illegal in America, if I'm not mistaken. We have a huge gun problem, but it's primarily with gangs killing each other, and sometimes innocents get caught in the crossfire. Seeing as how most gang members are criminals, usually felons, obviously they are getting their guns from somewhere. It's a horrid reality. We live on an army post, and we are allowed guns only under lock and key. The hubby gets to play with real guns all the time, though. No wonder he's such a gun nut. And you are right, Megs does look a lot like a real gun.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363262)
Posted by omegaprimussupermode on September 25th, 2007 @ 9:25pm CDT
This is dumb. It's just a toy!
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363272)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 25th, 2007 @ 9:31pm CDT
Burn wrote:Sure the gangs in Australia get guns, handguns, which are still fairly readily available even with a license, because they're not on the banned list like automatic or semi-automatic they're much easier to pick up on the black market.


That or they just nick weapons, grenades and night vision goggles from Army bases and training grounds...

Burn wrote:But guns are for pussies, if you're going to inflict harm on someone in Australia you use your fists or head dammit!


Consumption of Beer makes both far more accurate weapons than guns anyways! :P

Just some back history for the non Aussies.
Australia had fairly lax guns laws, particularily in Tasmania and Queensland until the Port Arthur massacre which changed everything at state andFederal level.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363285)
Posted by Burn on September 25th, 2007 @ 9:48pm CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:
Burn wrote:Sure the gangs in Australia get guns, handguns, which are still fairly readily available even with a license, because they're not on the banned list like automatic or semi-automatic they're much easier to pick up on the black market.


That or they just nick weapons, grenades and night vision goggles from Army bases and training grounds...


Yeah, THAT I didn't want to bring up.

"Oh yes, we seem to have misplaced four rocket launchers, hopefully they won't fall into bad hands."
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363300)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 25th, 2007 @ 9:58pm CDT
Burn wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:
Burn wrote:Sure the gangs in Australia get guns, handguns, which are still fairly readily available even with a license, because they're not on the banned list like automatic or semi-automatic they're much easier to pick up on the black market.


That or they just nick weapons, grenades and night vision goggles from Army bases and training grounds...


Yeah, THAT I didn't want to bring up.

"Oh yes, we seem to have misplaced four rocket launchers, hopefully they won't fall into bad hands."


It's okay Burn, according to the Police, the Missile Launchers and Grenades are probably safely buried in a National Park. :?

I've added to my sig, what I think is one of the weakest arguments I have ever heard.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363305)
Posted by Moonbase2 on September 25th, 2007 @ 10:01pm CDT
Wow, I read about that massacre. I had never heard about it before! We had another school shooting this past April, where some nutball killed 31 people, just mowed them down. It caused a little uproar but yet nothing changes. Who knows what it will take to tighten gun control in the States. We have a lot of gun lobbyists and a surprising amount of people that don't want any real restrictions. It's easy to get a gun here, legally or otherwise. I think we bought three guns in a matter of a few weeks, if not less (two were gifts) and there was no alarm at all.

When something goes missing here in the army, everyone involved is put on lockdown til it's found. Usually nothing is really stolen, only misplaced, but they can hold you a long time til it's found.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363330)
Posted by metalformer on September 25th, 2007 @ 10:27pm CDT
:shock: I am ignorant to the law and I maybe acting in outrage (apologies) but I just can't believe this is going on! I could understand the measures if we were talking about replica that could be turned into a real weapon but a freaking transforming toy?! :-x Its definitively getting harder to be a collector these days. :(
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363332)
Posted by Burn on September 25th, 2007 @ 10:29pm CDT
Any gun shootings in America we hear about here.

I can't recall hearing any in Australia since Port Arthur and the gun control being tightened. Murders however you still hear about, they're just more gruesome. :?
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363345)
Posted by Moonbase2 on September 25th, 2007 @ 10:37pm CDT
I imagine you guys hear a lot of our news. We don't hear much from your neck of the woods.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363350)
Posted by tech348 on September 25th, 2007 @ 10:39pm CDT
Man and here I thought California was bad.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363355)
Posted by the purifyer on September 25th, 2007 @ 10:43pm CDT
*goes and hugs the MP Megatron and Takara re-issue #6 Megatron that he got into Queensland with no hassles*
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363377)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 25th, 2007 @ 11:10pm CDT
Burn wrote:Any gun shootings in America we hear about here.

I can't recall hearing any in Australia since Port Arthur and the gun control being tightened. Murders however you still hear about, they're just more gruesome. :?


Nothing even close to Port Arthur has happened since. In the past year or so drive by shootings have dramatically increased, so the gangs are still getting their guns without much hassle. Sword and Knife attacks have also risen since 2004...

But to stop the actual weapons getting into the country is hard work (no clearly labelled boxes like the MP's come in) so they get through.
Customs also aren't stopping all the swords and other bladed weapons coming here via ebay and online stores.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363909)
Posted by Dead Metal on September 26th, 2007 @ 6:24am CDT
Is this some kind of a joke?
And I thought the US regulations are stupid!
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363928)
Posted by Elita One on September 26th, 2007 @ 6:34am CDT
Bloody government. It's a effing toy, the only way it hurts people is hurting their wallets :lol:. This is as bad as some guys I know who are real gorehounds and have had dvds taken off them. Note to customs: Drugs kill people, not toys and rare exploitation films.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (363934)
Posted by snavej on September 26th, 2007 @ 6:39am CDT
Having trouble with replica firearms? Why not do what Megatron himself did and make yourself into a secret firearm?! Oh wait, we don't have the technology yet.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (364049)
Posted by soundwavegt on September 26th, 2007 @ 8:05am CDT
Oh brother, I've seen everything now. I'm beginning wonder who has the most anally jobsworth government, Britain or Australia!!! You people down under are having a hell of a rough time trying to own one of these, I really do feel bad for you guys.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (364830)
Posted by King Starscream89 on September 26th, 2007 @ 3:00pm CDT
i think its crap that goverment has made it hard to own a damn toy
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (365201)
Posted by BOSSC351 on September 26th, 2007 @ 6:15pm CDT
Hile Shitler!
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (365222)
Posted by Burn on September 26th, 2007 @ 6:32pm CDT
King Starscream89 wrote:i think its crap that goverment has made it hard to own a damn toy


I think it's great that the government has made it hard for someone to go on a mass murdering spree. Even if it does make it hard on my hobby of toy collecting.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (365311)
Posted by Loki41872 on September 26th, 2007 @ 7:27pm CDT
You know what stops mass shooting sprees? Somebody with a gun that shoots the nutjob after the first shot.

Somebody that really wants a gun will still get one (In any country). Gun control only insures that there will be nobody to shoot back. If any of the students, teachers or security at Virginia Tech would have had a gun, that nutjob wouldn't have made it past the first classroom.

I hate to go completely off topic, but consider this:

In Switzerland, every able bodied male is in the militia, and every household has an automatic rifle. Look up gun crime stats in Switzerland. There's practically NONE.

Some towns in the U.S. actually require EVERY house to keep a gun with ammunition on hand, and they have ZERO gun violence.

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55288

Makes you think twice about pulling a gun on someone, if you know they can shoot back.

Stop the madness, and GIVE THE AUSSIES THEIR MEGATRONS!
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (365332)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 26th, 2007 @ 7:37pm CDT
Burn wrote:
King Starscream89 wrote:i think its crap that goverment has made it hard to own a damn toy


I think it's great that the government has made it hard for someone to go on a mass murdering spree. Even if it does make it hard on my hobby of toy collecting.


I have to agree with you Burn, it's good that the Government is trying to do the right thing with guns and gun laws, but I just wish it didn't reek of a money making scheme, and that the Customs officers and Police would also spend more time and effort stopping real weapons entering the country.

Only yesterday a man was killed in Sydney with an illegal firearm.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (365883)
Posted by voice of hoist on September 27th, 2007 @ 12:45am CDT
Loki41872 wrote:In Switzerland, every able bodied male is in the militia, and every household has an automatic rifle. Look up gun crime stats in Switzerland. There's practically NONE.


Interesting. That's basically the Michael Moore argument isn't it, that Canada is full of guns yet has proportionally a much smaller gun crime problem, therefore it must be something fundamentally screwed up about US culture that makes it so violent.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (366674)
Posted by Dough-bot on September 27th, 2007 @ 12:01pm CDT
hi Burn
sorry to go slightly off the main topic

I sent a reissue Megatron to Australia and this was 2 1/2 months ago, the buyer has not recieved it yet so am I right in assuming that its been siezed by OZ Customs and tell matey to check with them

cheers DB
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (367384)
Posted by i_amtrunks on September 27th, 2007 @ 7:39pm CDT
Dough-bot wrote:hi Burn
sorry to go slightly off the main topic

I sent a reissue Megatron to Australia and this was 2 1/2 months ago, the buyer has not recieved it yet so am I right in assuming that its been siezed by OZ Customs and tell matey to check with them

cheers DB


Possibly. But if the figure has been seized I believe customs has to send a notice to the addressee informing them of what has happened to their package.

If it is just being held up in customs (I have waited 6 weeks for stuff to come from the USA and up to 8 from the UK) they don't have to send a bloody thing.

What state did you ship it to? NSW is the problem state, collectors in other states have had many of their orders go through unchallenged.
Re: Owning MP Megatron in Australia (367846)
Posted by darockk on September 28th, 2007 @ 12:01am CDT
I live in Canberra, Australia's capital city and ordered both Takara reissue #6 megatron and MP-05 from overseas at the same time from different sellers. I managed to get the takara reissue no probs, but sadly mp-05 was seized at sydney airport by customs.

i was pretty much ready to give up ever owning MP-05 due to all the loopholes neded to get permit, until i saw this breaking news. Sounds like i may be able to retrieve my Megs just in time before they destroy it.

Has anyone else from these boards had their MP-05 or other megs toy seized?

Click here to view an additional 8 comments about this topic at the Energon Pub Forums ...