Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years

Transformers News: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years

Thursday, July 31st, 2014 1:07PM CDT

Categories: Movie News, People News, Company News
Posted by: Dr Va'al   Views: 42,726

According to a new article in media website The Wrap, the deal between Paramount Pictures and director Michael Bay has been extended for another three years, and includes two of Bay's companies. This does not really come as a surprise, given the sheer amount of money even just Transformers: Age of Extinctions has made internationally. It also reinforces the idea that Bay will be directing the next installment in the movie series, of course - to find out more, head here, and check out a snippet below!

Paramount is keeping cash cow Michael Bay around for the long haul.

The studio announced on Thursday that the “Transformers” director had extended for three more years its first-look deal with Bay's production company, Platinum Dune, and added another of his companies, Bay Films, to the deal as well.

“With an ever-growing, worldwide fan base, Michael is truly one of the most inspired and beloved filmmakers of our time,” said Brad Grey, Paramount chairman and CEO. “We take great pride in the fact that Michael is part of the Paramount family and we look forward to growing our productive and successful partnership.”

[...]

“Over the years I have become part of the Paramount family,” Bay enthused in a press release. “There is a synergy there that feels different than any other place in Hollywood. From Brad Grey and Rob Moore, where my relationship goes back more than a decade, to my very good friend Adam Goodman, and to Philippe Dauman, who has put so much trust in me, and with the powerful marketing of Josh Greenstein and Megan Colligan, Paramount makes for a very comfortable place to work.”
Credit(s): The Wrap

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595410)
Posted by Autobot_Benz on July 31st, 2014 @ 1:36pm CDT
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595415)
Posted by Super Megatron on July 31st, 2014 @ 1:43pm CDT
At least he won't be making other garbage besides the pile he's already made. This IS good news.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595421)
Posted by TulioDude on July 31st, 2014 @ 1:55pm CDT
Good to know that they are on good terms on each other,and that Bay is happy with working with them.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595429)
Posted by rpetras on July 31st, 2014 @ 2:17pm CDT
I REALLY want them to turn over the GI Joe franchise to him.

I felt that was the property he should have had in the first place.

His proclivity for big explosions ( :michaelbay: ) and his overall good graces with the military would fit well with Joe.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595431)
Posted by Flashpoint_82 on July 31st, 2014 @ 2:28pm CDT
What about UNICRON ? He trashed the whole story :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD: :BANG_HEAD: :BOOM:
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595436)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 31st, 2014 @ 2:44pm CDT
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595445)
Posted by OptimalOptimus2 on July 31st, 2014 @ 2:54pm CDT
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been defeated.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595452)
Posted by MGrotusque on July 31st, 2014 @ 3:03pm CDT
Autobot_Benz wrote:I can already see the Bay-Haters crying their eyes out. 3 more years to ruin their childhoods :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay:

It is true. I am one of them and alas i have given up on Transformers. Well....anything movie related anyways.

I think i'm gonna have a beer and pour a little out to my ruined childhood dreams of cool transformer movies. This is sad news indeed.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595481)
Posted by Zeedust on July 31st, 2014 @ 3:55pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:This wasn't much of a surprise, now it makes sense to get Bay to finish this trilogy, then maybe hitting some sort of reset button and tell new stories, maybe even go the route of beast wars ;)

Beast Wars had a small cast and strong characterization. I don't think Bay could manage that.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595487)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 31st, 2014 @ 4:03pm CDT
Nemesis Primal wrote:

I was working with the assumption that there would be a change of directors.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595491)
Posted by padfoo on July 31st, 2014 @ 4:09pm CDT

No just three more years of really bad movies!
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595548)
Posted by DeadCaL on July 31st, 2014 @ 7:10pm CDT
Flashpoint_82 wrote:Oh hell, please no more bayformers and stupid storylines. I mean Galvatron made by humans-absolutely no way !!!

To be fair, he doesn't write the script. So they have to take the blame for the plot.

*Shudder* Next I'll be defending Ewe Boll ;)
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595563)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on July 31st, 2014 @ 7:39pm CDT
hurray 3 more years of IQs sharply dropping and franchises continuing to be run into the ground then blown up for no reason, at least he cant ruin franchises from other studios for a while. But this just shows the problem with studios like paramount, they care more about money than quality.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595624)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on July 31st, 2014 @ 11:13pm CDT
Kind of knew the whole "leave it to a new director" statement was wishful thinking on Bay's part. Paramount would never take the risk of having a new director at the helm, not when Bay's proven to be virtually bullet-proof at the box office with his TF movies.

While you'd never say no to money, I think he's made enough to live in absolute luxury for the rest of his life. The other half of the reason he's staying is probably because TF movies are his most successful ones to date, and he's enamored by the impression of being "indispensable" to a franchise.

Either way, I can't say it surprises me.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595697)
Posted by Grimlock64 on August 1st, 2014 @ 9:31am CDT

I just like a bit of variety sometimes, nothing against Bay.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595818)
Posted by TulioDude on August 1st, 2014 @ 9:15pm CDT
Grimlock64 wrote:While I actually did like Age of Extinction, I would like to see another director take up the helm, just to see how they would do it.

I just like a bit of variety sometimes, nothing against Bay.

A fair point.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595857)
Posted by Dr Va'al on August 2nd, 2014 @ 4:59am CDT
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595871)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on August 2nd, 2014 @ 7:36am CDT
Va'al wrote:Huh, this was somewhat interesting, and I suppose mildly relevant: http://www.forbes.com/sites/elyseribbon ... ket-sales/

And he does. he said so himself just recently. He knows people will pay to see his movies, especially the TF films, even if afterwards they trash it and him. And in the end, sadly that's how success is measured in show business anymore.
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1595887)
Posted by chivesbot20 on August 2nd, 2014 @ 8:48am CDT
I'd love beast wars but in reality, mostly fans would flock to see it. A general audience might really want to see Magmatron and and optimus primal fight but no a giant mouse like rattrap. and it also depends on if he makes them look like an actual gottila or a cybertronion gorilla. TBH id rather have the cubertronion version in my opinion with the same color scheme. BUt i have already written out what characters i would want in each movie if there was a beast wars movie saga
Re: Paramount Extends Michael Bay Deal for Three More Years (1596022)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on August 2nd, 2014 @ 7:52pm CDT

Interesting read. Film-making is all a business, after all, and Bay knows what sells and how to sell it.