Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention

Transformers News: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention

Monday, August 27th, 2012 5:52PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 13,601

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention facebook page has shared a sneak preview of this week's episode, which will feature a Transformers collection. The episode is scheduled to air tomorrow night at 10/9 Central on the SyFy channel. Check out the preview clip below.

Credit(s): SyFy Channel
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414010)
Posted by phase on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:03pm CDT
1st off, people need to leave collectors the hell alone. Sometimes it might be a problem, but often these things can be comforting. 2nd, IT'S BOTCON, NOT BOTCOM. GODDAMMIT.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414014)
Posted by PrymeStriker on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:11pm CDT
As if I'd sell of my entire collection. Sure, maybe a few of them that I don't care about, but not the entire collection, especially if a whole lot of them are 1,000 bucks. If someone told me to do that, I'd tell them to **** off.


Well, maybe I wouldn't, but I'd be pissed nonetheless. :roll:
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414015)
Posted by LiKwid on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:13pm CDT
LoL...That was entertaining............ :roll:
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414017)
Posted by worldsgreatest on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:24pm CDT
I know its natural to be defensive, but so far this show has been excellent, and the host has gone out of her way to prop up collectors and collecting. Just not extreme, hoarding, life altering levels of hoarding. Give it a shot.

But yeah...no way he'd ever get rid of that Breakdown. My heart will heart when he inevitably does.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414018)
Posted by MasterSoundBlaster on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:24pm CDT
That was ridiculous. I may watch this show just to see if there will be other transformers fans with huge collections.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414019)
Posted by grayj74 on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:26pm CDT
What's the fun of keeping them in the boxes? I have maybe three or four out of over a thousand that are actually still in their boxes. I don't get it...
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414020)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:27pm CDT
Or he could keep his entire collection, sit on an ever-appreciating gold mine, and just work a normal job like most of the rest of the world. Then one day when he has to come up with the cash to buy his own hoverbike, he'll have enough.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414021)
Posted by Ultra Markus on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:30pm CDT
its always heart breaking seeing some one having to sell off their collection
for financial purposes it crossed my mind a few times when times are tough
and made me fell awful.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414023)
Posted by RAcast on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:35pm CDT
MINDVVIPE wrote:Or he could keep his entire collection, sit on an ever-appreciating gold mine, and just work a normal job like most of the rest of the world. Then one day when he has to come up with the cash to buy his own hoverbike, he'll have enough.

I have to agree with you. The collectibles market is kinda soft right now, it's really dumb to sell the big ticket items right now.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414026)
Posted by xyl360 on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:40pm CDT
I would never sell my collection, even if I really really really needed the money.

The way I see it, money that's spent is money I don't have, period. I do not look at my collection and think of them as 'valuables' or 'an investment'. %$*& all that. They are MINE and that's all there is to it :P.

If I wanted to buy things as an investment, there are far more lucrative markets out there (gold for instance). I ain't in it for the money.

I don't have a family, I don't have a mortgage and I don't live off of mommy and daddy so in the very unlikely event that I were ever on a show like this (NOT going to happen obviously :P), I'd tell them that I'm keeping the toys. You can sell them or give them away once I'm dead. Until then, they are mine.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414027)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:43pm CDT
xyl360 wrote:You can sell them or give them away once I'm dead. Until then, they are mine.


Ideally, having them given away to a new generation of kids who are going to appreciate Transformers like we do. Then it also becomes a part of history in a larger way, eventually becoming an antique, haha. Okay, the coolest antique ever short of the first crossbow.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414031)
Posted by dedcat on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:49pm CDT
It's obvious this woman knows nothing of collecting beyond what her producers tell her in between jump cuts. Fake and forced drama by a faux self righteous talking head... should be ratings gold. I'm going to read a book now.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414036)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on August 27th, 2012 @ 7:03pm CDT
The logic of getting rid of BotCon '94 Breakdown just because "he's not G1" painted the host as someone who's done her homework, and might really want to care, but still doesn't get it.

If you're old enough to have been a Transfan from the very beginning, and never wavered all throughout the '90s, G2 stuff might well hold even more emotional value than anything G1. Those were the days when it seemed Hasbro would just let the whole franchise keel over dead at any moment, something likely incomprehensible to the kids today who've grown up with the live action movies propelling Transformers to even greater worldwide recognition than G1. That first BotCon exclusive is a symbol of hope that even if you were someday the last person on Earth who still cared, that even if none of the fair-weather-fans ever came back, that maybe Transformers could still live on forever and continue to mean something instead of being just a highlight of '80s nostalgia.

That's why I get so pissed off at the Geewunner, "I stopped liking it in 1986, so they should've stopped making Transformers then," attitude I run into so often (though not around this site, of course). I was still there for G2, it was awesome, and there's no way we'd be getting all we take for granted today if it the franchise had died in the '90s. If I had G2 Breakdown, I'd sell all of my complete G1 gestalt teams first.

Well, partly because I have faith that I'd be able to buy exact repro KOs of all of the American G1 stuff eventually, even if HasTak never finds the molds necessary for legit reissues. Just being pragmatic, and pragmatism is what these "Interventions" are about, right?
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414044)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on August 27th, 2012 @ 7:43pm CDT
well there goes his back up retirement plan, people just need to shut the hell up and leave collectors alone. If they can still move around their place and still have room to live & eat then its not a problem, if you cant move around or see the floor then its a problem. And in that case all you need to do is rent out a storage unit or two and your golden. I would never get rid of any of my collections especially my TF one, yeah i might sell or trade a few i dont care to much about(i have a few that to this day i wonder why the hell i got em) but never the entire thing or a big chunk. Hell i plan to be burred with mine,i told my friends and family to make my casket out of my transformers then put my Rodimus' & soundwaves in there with me plus a few figures from other collections. God that host is a moron, she needs to be hit upside the head then fired. If your going to do a show about collecting get someone who knows about the stuff thats on that show, have a different person every week or something just dont use the same host and google. Plus if they really did their homework they'd know the market is crap right now and they're just fraking tha guy over, oh wait i just figured out the show. Still cant get over that Stargate Atlantis & eureka got canceled for crap like this. Give us more Destination Truth and get this garbage off, at least that show is funny and you learn a few things about monster legends.


EDIT: a friend and i were just discussing this and i thought of another reason to leave collectors the hell alone, instead of collecting little action figures or buying a figure to try and cheer us up after a shit day we could be doing crack or getting drunk every night. Yes an argument could be made that collecting is as addictive as a drug but its a hell of a lot less damaging if at all and can always become an investment unlike drugs or booze, unless its a very very very old bottle of booze. Ill stop ranting now, well until next time at least. Qapla'
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414048)
Posted by Soundwave__Superior on August 27th, 2012 @ 8:08pm CDT
griftimus prime wrote:i thought hasbro was the intervention. they keep making crap people do not want. or they do not release what we do want.

^ This.


But seriously, a show about people getting rid of their collections? This is bad comedy.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414051)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 27th, 2012 @ 8:45pm CDT
grayj74 wrote:What's the fun of keeping them in the boxes? I have maybe three or four out of over a thousand that are actually still in their boxes. I don't get it...


It is because there are those who prefer keeping their toys in the same condition they first obtained them. It could be for monetary reasons for some, and sentimental reasons for others. (For example, my collection is being built on the prospect of having a collection that defines me (during this period of my life). That, and while I prepare to have them AFA'd, I find the fun of learning things about them.)

So in the end... The fun can be anything from collecting certain characters to learning about the ones we do buy. And with this series, they also teach collectors that half of the fun of owning a collection is finding ways to display them. 8)

Now if you don't mind... I need to seek out the estimated 2-5 pieces I want to add to my collection. :BOT:
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414052)
Posted by agentcastle on August 27th, 2012 @ 8:49pm CDT
the show's been decent so far:

1) it puts my collection into perspective and shuts the wife up... for a lil while at least

2) for the most part, the chick knows her stuff; she encourages the people to keep the best and most meaningful parts of their collection - paraphrasing, "if you've got too many things to actually enjoy your collection, then maybe you've entered the realm of hoarding"

3) and yes, its almost always a spouse calling for help - so turn the show off before the final few seconds, otherwise your wife might catch the number and we'll be lamenting your losses next episode
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414058)
Posted by YRQRM0 on August 27th, 2012 @ 9:22pm CDT
Soundwave__Superior wrote:
griftimus prime wrote:i thought hasbro was the intervention. they keep making crap people do not want. or they do not release what we do want.

^ This.


But seriously, a show about people getting rid of their collections? This is bad comedy.


LOL
I know that some people will enjoy this show, but from the looks of it, this doesn't look all that exciting for someone who actually collects. I'll watch it though, just to see the toys.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414070)
Posted by xyl360 on August 27th, 2012 @ 10:29pm CDT
Megatron Wolf wrote:EDIT: a friend and i were just discussing this and i thought of another reason to leave collectors the hell alone, instead of collecting little action figures or buying a figure to try and cheer us up after a shit day we could be doing crack or getting drunk every night. Yes an argument could be made that collecting is as addictive as a drug but its a hell of a lot less damaging if at all and can always become an investment unlike drugs or booze, unless its a very very very old bottle of booze. Ill stop ranting now, well until next time at least. Qapla'

Why can't we do all of the above, you know, get drunk, collect toys, do crack :lol:, only kidding.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414072)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on August 27th, 2012 @ 10:32pm CDT
xyl360 wrote:
Megatron Wolf wrote:EDIT: a friend and i were just discussing this and i thought of another reason to leave collectors the hell alone, instead of collecting little action figures or buying a figure to try and cheer us up after a shit day we could be doing crack or getting drunk every night. Yes an argument could be made that collecting is as addictive as a drug but its a hell of a lot less damaging if at all and can always become an investment unlike drugs or booze, unless its a very very very old bottle of booze. Ill stop ranting now, well until next time at least. Qapla'

Why can't we do all of the above, you know, get drunk, collect toys, do crack :lol:, only kidding.


Doing crack is frowned upon?
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414075)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 27th, 2012 @ 10:43pm CDT
agentcastle wrote:the show's been decent so far:

1) it puts my collection into perspective and shuts the wife up... for a lil while at least

2) for the most part, the chick knows her stuff; she encourages the people to keep the best and most meaningful parts of their collection - paraphrasing, "if you've got too many things to actually enjoy your collection, then maybe you've entered the realm of hoarding"

3) and yes, its almost always a spouse calling for help - so turn the show off before the final few seconds, otherwise your wife might catch the number and we'll be lamenting your losses next episode

Wow. Just wow. That is a bit sexist of you to speak that way. >:oP

But seriously - I'll have to remember this when I talk to this one collector whose wife not only supports his collection, but also gets to say what pieces are hers. :lol:
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414076)
Posted by Seibertron on August 27th, 2012 @ 10:44pm CDT
User897 wrote:I honestly don't know why the hell Seibertron.com is supporting this show. Lives will be ruined and collections decimated, so they put it on the front page?

LAME.


Not everything that goes in our news section is stuff that I want to support.

Truth be told, the concept of this show makes me cringe. Many people would probably think I'm obsessed. While Transformers does consume much of my day from morning to night, unlike most people my personal "obsession" has become a successful business with which I support my family. A show like this would attempt to make a mockery of myself or my business ventures with Seibertron.com.

I couldn't quite tell what was going on with the preview clip. Did the guy have high end pieces like that and was still living at his folks place in his mid 30s or did he have his own place and was holding onto high end pieces? If it's the former and he's over 22 or out of college ... time to get a place of your own. If he does have a place of his own, a show like this should leave him alone.

It'll be interesting to watch once. I'm sure I'll chime back in here tomorrow about this show.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414091)
Posted by chevymantf on August 27th, 2012 @ 11:26pm CDT
bruh watching this makes me wanna sell my collection off, i have over 175 tf's but i dont want to be that 23 yr old nigga that still collects toys, it was a good 11 yr run rip my collection 2001-2012 maybe :-?
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414105)
Posted by xyl360 on August 28th, 2012 @ 12:04am CDT
chevymantf wrote:bruh watching this makes me wanna sell my collection off, i have over 175 tf's but i dont want to be that 23 yr old nigga that still collects toys, it was a good 11 yr run rip my collection 2001-2012 maybe :-?

:lol:, I'm 33 and still collecting. In fact I didn't actually start collecting until 2-3 years ago and I've no plans to stop now, at least not as long as they're still making toys that I like.

It's up to you if you think someone like myself (and many others around here) are too old to still collect toys and that you're getting too old for it, but those of us who are still into it will probably still be collecting once you've sold off your collection of 175+ toys (I'm not sure how many I have at this point, but it's well above 175).

If I run out of space for my collection, I'll get a bigger place. I ain't selling and they can't make me :P.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414112)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 28th, 2012 @ 12:44am CDT
Seibertron wrote:
User897 wrote:I honestly don't know why the hell Seibertron.com is supporting this show. Lives will be ruined and collections decimated, so they put it on the front page?

LAME.


Not everything that goes in our news section is stuff that I want to support.

Truth be told, the concept of this show makes me cringe. Many people would probably think I'm obsessed. While Transformers does consume much of my day from morning to night, unlike most people my personal "obsession" has become a successful business with which I support my family. A show like this would attempt to make a mockery of myself or my business ventures with Seibertron.com.

I couldn't quite tell what was going on with the preview clip. Did the guy have high end pieces like that and was still living at his folks place in his mid 30s or did he have his own place and was holding onto high end pieces? If it's the former and he's over 22 or out of college ... time to get a place of your own. If he does have a place of his own, a show like this should leave him alone.

It'll be interesting to watch once. I'm sure I'll chime back in here tomorrow about this show.

You both need to watch the series before passing judgement. Because so far, they only respond to people who asked for help. And the Transformer fan, based on what was stated, is somebody that wanted her help in hopes of becoming financially dependent and get his business off the ground.

And the rest? Well...

- There was the couple who are Star Wars fans. The wife had allowed their collection get out of hand, with the husband saying it was because he could not say no to her. They only removed a Rex statue and a few key items that did not contribute to their collection.

- Then there was a couple who needed to get out of debt. The husband had an obsession with Catwoman, but hid his collection in their garage. He gave it up so they can be out of debt, as he was not allowing himself to enjoy these items.

- And then there was guy who owned tons of G.I. Joes and Hot Wheels. The collection was cluttered and not taken care of. And because he was treating it like a 401K, they only sold the mainstream stuff. The rest, his wife said that they are going to figure out how they will display these items - Which turned out to be very nice in appearance.

- And finally, there was the wife/mother who was obsessed with Barbies. She had doubles of many items, incomplete sets, and her entire collection even took over the closets in the house. She ended up selling most of her collection, minus the Holiday pieces and a few others, and was rewarded with a "First Barbie" (which is her goal) as a gift her husband and sons.

And the entire time, she is saying nothing more than the fact that if you plan to have a huge collection, you need to do three things: Take good care of it, display it in a manner that can be enjoyed and not be in the way at the same time, and keep it under control... As in keep track of what you own and not let it get out of hand that you cannot enjoy every piece.

So yeah - It is something worth watching if you care to control your collection, start a new collection, and need help reducing what you have (for whatever reason you might have). >:oP
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414117)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on August 28th, 2012 @ 1:40am CDT
I have never understood the point of collecting so many TFs that you couldn't display them. Buying them just to stash in a box is definitely way closer to hoarding at that point. I have all my tfs out on display, almost maxing out my room until I move into a bigger place. Why do some of you guys buy figures just to stash in boxes? (okay, if you buy doubles or triples, with the sole purpose of some to be a sort of museum piece, I gotcha. But otherwise, why?)
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414124)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 28th, 2012 @ 2:51am CDT
MINDVVIPE wrote:I have never understood the point of collecting so many TFs that you couldn't display them. Buying them just to stash in a box is definitely way closer to hoarding at that point. I have all my tfs out on display, almost maxing out my room until I move into a bigger place. Why do some of you guys buy figures just to stash in boxes? (okay, if you buy doubles or triples, with the sole purpose of some to be a sort of museum piece, I gotcha. But otherwise, why?)

Okay... I was going to stop responding to this topic, but I cannot because I very much like your question and point to your question. :BOWDOWN:

And to answer your question: My collection are in the boxes that they were shipped in because I had decided in (December) 2011 that I wanted to create a collection that my future child/children can inherit. Something that will explain to them who I have become after all the struggles (life, collections, etc.) I had faced beforehand. And to make sure that this will happen in the future, I also chose to submit them to AFA - Something I have yet done because I constantly find more that I want.

Sadly, even once I get that done, I have no space in my room to display them. And with my situation, as it stands (finances, conditions that limits my life, etc.), I do not know when or if I will have a place to display them anytime soon. :sad:
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414127)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on August 28th, 2012 @ 3:12am CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:Okay... I was going to stop responding to this topic, but I cannot because I very much like your question and point to your question. :BOWDOWN:

And to answer your question: My collection are in the boxes that they were shipped in because I had decided in (December) 2011 that I wanted to create a collection that my future child/children can inherit. Something that will explain to them who I have become after all the struggles (life, collections, etc.) I had faced beforehand. And to make sure that this will happen in the future, I also chose to submit them to AFA - Something I have yet done because I constantly find more that I want.

Sadly, even once I get that done, I have no space in my room to display them. And with my situation, as it stands (finances, conditions that limits my life, etc.), I do not know when or if I will have a place to display them anytime soon. :sad:


Interesting. Good idea about the inheritance part, and I only just looked up the AFA and realized I should have had a bunch of figures apraised properly before selling them off to create funds for Crossfire Bruticus, haha.
Perhaps I seemed kind of unsympathetic to those who just end up with too many that they run out of room. I can see myself getting that point without even knowing, given the steadily increasing 3rd party scene.

Its great looking back at some figures and reliving the great feeling of happening upon them. I just recently found RID Vehicon in Doha airport (near Dubai). Of all the places to find my most sought after RID figure, during a tormenting 48 hours worth of travelling around the world, I just kept it together, knowing when I get home I could enjoy it in peace :grin:
Sorry for the tangical story, but yea, each figure does have a story behind them to me, and thats a great thing, even if it isn't that big a deal to those who inherit them later.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414132)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 28th, 2012 @ 4:30am CDT
MINDVVIPE wrote:Interesting. Good idea about the inheritance part, and I only just looked up the AFA and realized I should have had a bunch of figures apraised properly before selling them off to create funds for Crossfire Bruticus, haha.


Thanks. I just wish I had the benefit to do this sooner, as there are so many Transformers that I have missed out on. :lol: But despite that, I am going to go all-out and include the UV protection option if it does not alter the look of the casing.

And with my collection, as it stands, I can only see 2-3 of the 10 I currently own taking time to have its value pay off the price to grade it. :P

MINDVVIPE wrote:Perhaps I seemed kind of unsympathetic to those who just end up with too many that they run out of room. I can see myself getting that point without even knowing, given the steadily increasing 3rd party scene.


I can understand. I have seen photos of rooms where the owner has their collection set up in a very nice manner. I have seen other photos where I seriously wonder why they have their collection so poorly organized.

And with me - My goal is to have a room where I can display my entire Transformers collection. Either in a small "Wall of Fame" manner or blended with books and other items. Not sure yet, as I said I will stop buying once there are no more characters that I want to own.

MINDVVIPE wrote:Its great looking back at some figures and reliving the great feeling of happening upon them. I just recently found RID Vehicon in Doha airport (near Dubai). Of all the places to find my most sought after RID figure, during a tormenting 48 hours worth of travelling around the world, I just kept it together, knowing when I get home I could enjoy it in peace :grin:


I have a similar feeling with #4. It is a "Welcome to Transformers 2010" Predaking. Long story short - I first spotted him in Koriyama, but could not get myself to buy him despite the fact that my inner child was screaming "BUY IT!!!" in that manner. :lol:

My second attempt had me get him through TFsource. He was $170 (mint box), and sold out sometime after I ordered mine. I also worried that I could not have my order go through because I originally received my "the request was declined" phone message. It was not the case, and was one of the first pieces I received in 2012. :grin:

Then again, this year, I missed out on obtaining the original 2008 Henkei! Henkei! Transformers C-05 Hot Rodimus (MOSC) for a very good price in Akihabara. :sad:

MINDVVIPE wrote:Sorry for the tangical story, but yea, each figure does have a story behind them to me, and thats a great thing, even if it isn't that big a deal to those who inherit them later.


I am hoping to not have that be the case for me. Because I want to use it as a means for them to find what they like and want to collect. And maybe have them connect this collection with their own. >:oP But we will have to wait and see... Even though I am wondering how big my collection will become by then. :-?
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414173)
Posted by Seibertron on August 28th, 2012 @ 9:43am CDT
MINDVVIPE wrote:I have never understood the point of collecting so many TFs that you couldn't display them. Buying them just to stash in a box is definitely way closer to hoarding at that point. I have all my tfs out on display, almost maxing out my room until I move into a bigger place. Why do some of you guys buy figures just to stash in boxes? (okay, if you buy doubles or triples, with the sole purpose of some to be a sort of museum piece, I gotcha. But otherwise, why?)


I have nothing on display. Just current toys that are accessible to me in tubs that I need for galleries (such as DOTM, Classics, Movie, and TFP toys). While I understand where you're coming from, it's really no different than someone who has a lot of money in the bank or a vacation home that they own somewhere else that they only visit a few times a year. For someone like me who owns about 4,000+ Transformers toys which I've accumulated over the past 30 years, the galleries on this site are my display. I probably get a similar satisfaction from completing galleries that you guys get when you see your figures on display and see your collection growing.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414397)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 29th, 2012 @ 3:00am CDT
Episode is over and there is no responses from the haters and trolls who assumed things about this. Huh. >:oP

And with his part of the episode... I have no idea what to say. One side has me feel for him when he sold his prize piece. But on the other side, he placed himself in that predicament. Especially since he is trying to run a business, not use money that is not his for his collection. >:oP
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414478)
Posted by It Is Him on August 29th, 2012 @ 9:26am CDT
I was only able to catch the first 15 mins or so before having to turn my attention to something more pressing.

Two questions: When will this re-air? And what and where is this friggin' toy district in LA that the Toy Hell guy was talking about!? I wanna go there.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414482)
Posted by Seibertron on August 29th, 2012 @ 9:41am CDT
It Is Him wrote:I was only able to catch the first 15 mins or so before having to turn my attention to something more pressing.

Two questions: When will this re-air? And what and where is this friggin' toy district in LA that the Toy Hell guy was talking about!? I wanna go there.


Same here. All the times I've been to L.A. and I could've been conducting a little business as well. http://www.downtownlawalks.com/?f=toy_district
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414484)
Posted by It Is Him on August 29th, 2012 @ 9:51am CDT
Seibertron wrote:
It Is Him wrote:I was only able to catch the first 15 mins or so before having to turn my attention to something more pressing.

Two questions: When will this re-air? And what and where is this friggin' toy district in LA that the Toy Hell guy was talking about!? I wanna go there.


Same here. All the times I've been to L.A. and I could've been conducting a little business as well. http://www.downtownlawalks.com/?f=toy_district


Amazing.

Btw, there's a Hulu channel for Collection Intervention. Last night's episode isn't up yet, but I'm sure it will be soon.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414489)
Posted by Seibertron on August 29th, 2012 @ 10:12am CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:Episode is over and there is no responses from the haters and trolls who assumed things about this. Huh. >:oP

And with his part of the episode... I have no idea what to say. One side has me feel for him when he sold his prize piece. But on the other side, he placed himself in that predicament. Especially since he is trying to run a business, not use money that is not his for his collection. >:oP


I fell asleep about 1/2 way through the episode last night. Did not like the approach about the guy with the comic books. He should ditch his fiancee. She's going to be on a witch hunt to get rid of those comics their whole marriage. Solution to the guy's problem is that he needs to get a storage unit for $50 to $100 a month. Problem solved ... everyone's happy.

As for the Toy Hell guy, the #1 rule of business is you've got to make money. If it's not making money where you can pay your bills and reinvest into your business, then you're doing something wrong. He's too old to be having financial support from his parents. They're a big part of the problem by enabling his behavior.

And now I see why he's having difficulty with his business ... http://toyhell.com/fiftyoffsale.htm. He needs to spend some time and resources bringing his website up to modern website standards. It looks like it's from the 1990s. Plus you can't just give away large amounts of money to lure people in. That's not how you run a business, especially knowing that he's in financial problems.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414644)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 29th, 2012 @ 4:03pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:I fell asleep about 1/2 way through the episode last night. Did not like the approach about the guy with the comic books. He should ditch his fiancee. She's going to be on a witch hunt to get rid of those comics their whole marriage. Solution to the guy's problem is that he needs to get a storage unit for $50 to $100 a month. Problem solved ... everyone's happy.


Actually... He not only got to meet his favorite comic writer, but had gotten advice on why it is good to reduce his collection. Before getting a nice item from him. That, and he traded in around 2,000 comics that had no real monetary value for a very nice, signed Silver Age comic. Near Mint+ condition, I am presuming. And one that is the first full appearance of a fan-favorite character.

Not saying who, as you need to watch it. ;)

Seibertron wrote:As for the Toy Hell guy, the #1 rule of business is you've got to make money. If it's not making money where you can pay your bills and reinvest into your business, then you're doing something wrong. He's too old to be having financial support from his parents. They're a big part of the problem by enabling his behavior.


Tell me about it. :lol: And what sucked, for me, is the fact that he had boxes full of (possibly MISB) Generation 1 pieces. And while I am sure he said that he has complete sets, one of those boxes looked like it contains a Operation Combination set. Which despressed me because I can barely find a MISB "Encore" Convoy (much less one worthy of submitting to AFA). :sad:

Seibertron wrote:And now I see why he's having difficulty with his business ... http://toyhell.com/fiftyoffsale.htm. He needs to spend some time and resources bringing his website up to modern website standards. It looks like it's from the 1990s. Plus you can't just give away large amounts of money to lure people in. That's not how you run a business, especially knowing that he's in financial problems.

Yup. He has pieces that he has yet to sell in his house, which is stockpiled with bootleg toys, anime-related toys, and his own personal collection that I want. :BOOM: Plus, you have to go to his archaic "order" page just to find a way to contact him.

And yup, he does have that Convoy I want. But I need to get the other piece I am thinking of getting first. Especially since I have made it be known that my collection will be all AFA'd in the end. :P
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414692)
Posted by Dre Merc on August 29th, 2012 @ 7:25pm CDT
There have been times I thought who would be worthy of inheriting my collection when I pass away. Recently I came across someone who is. He's a talented model hobbyist who recently opened a shop that caters to a wide range of anime/toy culture enthusiasts. He plans on hosting community based activities like cosplay, anime group meetings, gunpla building, modeling classes, and more. You can even sell your collection in his shop for a fee.

In the name of self-preservation I haven't told him I think he's worthy of my collection when my spark burns out.

I may sell some of my collection through him if I tire of it, which is not uncommon for me. I have zero tolerance for toys once their joints become loose and I can't fix them. Trash! Not as cool to me as before? Trash! Hmm ebay? Nope. Trash! Don't have nor know any kids. Trash! Out of sight, out of mind. :michaelbay:

Point is I may have a lot in my collection (in my hobby room), but I don't keep everything, and I'm not one of those whose addiction gets out of hand: no space, no self-control, and no money.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414711)
Posted by Stormrider on August 29th, 2012 @ 8:14pm CDT
dedcat wrote:It's obvious this woman knows nothing of collecting beyond what her producers tell her in between jump cuts. Fake and forced drama by a faux self righteous talking head... should be ratings gold. I'm going to read a book now.


i agree. It's apparent this hostess is not well informed.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414725)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 29th, 2012 @ 8:55pm CDT
Stormrider wrote:
dedcat wrote:It's obvious this woman knows nothing of collecting beyond what her producers tell her in between jump cuts. Fake and forced drama by a faux self righteous talking head... should be ratings gold. I'm going to read a book now.


i agree. It's apparent this hostess is not well informed.

Neither are the two of you. And yet, you don't see people make ignorant claims about the two of you. Which is a very, very, very sad thing to do. >:oP

I mean... Have either one of you have a reputation and history tied to appraising, auctioning, etc. any kind of object like she does? Did you know that she is also a art historian and antiques appraiser? That for more than a decade, she was both an expert appraiser and consultant for Christie's Auction House? How about the fact that she is a licensed appraiser? How about the fact that her expertise includes pop culture?

Did either one of you know that? Obviously not since you both chose to trash her with no merit instead of looking up any information on her. Something that takes very little effort, especially if you do nothing more than actually look up her name on Wikipedia. >:oP
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414730)
Posted by PrymeStriker on August 29th, 2012 @ 9:05pm CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:
Stormrider wrote:
dedcat wrote:It's obvious this woman knows nothing of collecting beyond what her producers tell her in between jump cuts. Fake and forced drama by a faux self righteous talking head... should be ratings gold. I'm going to read a book now.


i agree. It's apparent this hostess is not well informed.

Neither are the two of you. And yet, you don't see people make ignorant claims about the two of you. Which is a very, very, very sad thing to do. >:oP

I mean... Have either one of you have a reputation and history tied to appraising, auctioning, etc. any kind of object like she does? Did you know that she is also a art historian and antiques appraiser? That for more than a decade, she was both an expert appraiser and consultant for Christie's Auction House? How about the fact that she is a licensed appraiser? How about the fact that her expertise includes pop culture?

Did either one of you know that? Obviously not since you both chose to trash her with no merit instead of looking up any information on her. Something that takes very little effort, especially if you do nothing more than actually look up her name on Wikipedia. >:oP


I agree that she's well informed in appraisal work. I commend her for that.

However, while I do not know what kind of point these two were trying to get across, from my prospective, she seems to look at the monetary value of Transformers rather than the sentimental value that collectors have. I do not think she "sucks" for that, because that's her job. That's what she's been doing all of her life (exaggeration). I believe many fans are offended by the fact that "she looks at our figures and sees a stack of money." :roll:
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414737)
Posted by xyl360 on August 29th, 2012 @ 9:16pm CDT
PrymeStriker wrote:
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:
Stormrider wrote:
dedcat wrote:It's obvious this woman knows nothing of collecting beyond what her producers tell her in between jump cuts. Fake and forced drama by a faux self righteous talking head... should be ratings gold. I'm going to read a book now.


i agree. It's apparent this hostess is not well informed.

Neither are the two of you. And yet, you don't see people make ignorant claims about the two of you. Which is a very, very, very sad thing to do. >:oP

I mean... Have either one of you have a reputation and history tied to appraising, auctioning, etc. any kind of object like she does? Did you know that she is also a art historian and antiques appraiser? That for more than a decade, she was both an expert appraiser and consultant for Christie's Auction House? How about the fact that she is a licensed appraiser? How about the fact that her expertise includes pop culture?

Did either one of you know that? Obviously not since you both chose to trash her with no merit instead of looking up any information on her. Something that takes very little effort, especially if you do nothing more than actually look up her name on Wikipedia. >:oP


I agree that she's well informed in appraisal work. I commend her for that.

However, while I do not know what kind of point these two were trying to get across, from my prospective, she seems to look at the monetary value of Transformers rather than the sentimental value that collectors have. I do not think she "sucks" for that, because that's her job. That's what she's been doing all of her life (exaggeration). I believe many fans are offended by the fact that "she looks at our figures and sees a stack of money." :roll:

Eh, many collectors do the same thing. They see these toys (and yes, sorry to burst any bubbles, these are all TOYS :P) as some kind of monetary investment. While you can make money off of old TF's, that never was their intended purpose.

Of course, the flip side is, they were never intended to be collectible pieces of nastalgia either. We made them that, the same as Hot Wheels collectors, vintage automobile collectors and every other type of collector out there, which is precisely what gives them increased monetary value over time.

She's the equivalent of a high-end liquidator. She is to assess the items she's presented with and give an estimate based on the current market value and provide that info to her client who is the owner of the item(s) she's assessing. Her job is basically to do what a seller on ebay does when estimating how much to charge for that vintage piece of TF history.

I get this side of collecting, I understand it, but I disregard it. As much as I love these hunks of paint, plastic and metal, all they ever were and still are is toys. Just a bunch of toys, and I'm an adult who collects and plays with them. They are not my 401K, they are not my stocks and bonds, and they are not some plastic legacy that I'm going to leave to my children so that the spirit of the Transformers will live on for future generations.

That's just me though, and I know that many (if not most) collectors don't see it the same way that I do. But that's also exactly why I hate the concept of shows like this. Ooo, wow, look at how much those old toys are worth! I should sell them all and make a ton of $! No, not me, sorry, that's not why I collect them.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414758)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 29th, 2012 @ 10:05pm CDT
PrymeStriker wrote:I agree that she's well informed in appraisal work. I commend her for that.

However, while I do not know what kind of point these two were trying to get across, from my prospective, she seems to look at the monetary value of Transformers rather than the sentimental value that collectors have. I do not think she "sucks" for that, because that's her job. That's what she's been doing all of her life (exaggeration). I believe many fans are offended by the fact that "she looks at our figures and sees a stack of money." :roll:

I agree when it comes to the Generation 2 Botcon exclusive. It should have been used as an incentive to sell off the items not worth having in his collection. This could allow him to have him either have his main collection graded or put in acrylic cases, and ultimately let him and others have fun looking at them... Talking about them... And so on. Mostly because it is a key piece to his collection at that time.

However, she ended up talking about his financial issues more than the clutter. And she disconnected it from the rest because it had monetary value, as well as the fact he was constantly in debt. I cannot entirely disagree with the idea that he needed to sell it, as he put himself in that predicament. But she could have, at least, gone from the monetary value (and it not being a G1 piece) to the fact that if he keeps up what he does... He will find himself selling it if he continues doing what he is doing. :-?
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1414932)
Posted by Megatron000 on August 30th, 2012 @ 11:24am CDT
Anyone have a link for the Transformers episode (youtube, any other site)? I'd like to check it out.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1415162)
Posted by Stormrider on August 30th, 2012 @ 11:03pm CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:
Stormrider wrote:
dedcat wrote:It's obvious this woman knows nothing of collecting beyond what her producers tell her in between jump cuts. Fake and forced drama by a faux self righteous talking head... should be ratings gold. I'm going to read a book now.


i agree. It's apparent this hostess is not well informed.

Neither are the two of you. And yet, you don't see people make ignorant claims about the two of you. Which is a very, very, very sad thing to do. >:oP

I mean... Have either one of you have a reputation and history tied to appraising, auctioning, etc. any kind of object like she does? Did you know that she is also a art historian and antiques appraiser? That for more than a decade, she was both an expert appraiser and consultant for Christie's Auction House? How about the fact that she is a licensed appraiser? How about the fact that her expertise includes pop culture?

Did either one of you know that? Obviously not since you both chose to trash her with no merit instead of looking up any information on her. Something that takes very little effort, especially if you do nothing more than actually look up her name on Wikipedia. >:oP


What the heck are you swinging at? Can you take it down 3 or 4 notches instead of leaping and making assumptions of what I meant? I could easily make assumptions about you based on your tone and what you wrote, but I won't (for the time being).

I have watched a few shows and feel that the show is based on drama, and her angle is to push the people into dramatic points. (I don't think that should be a big surprise to anyone, since drama sells). In this particular episode she gave the guy advice that people are not into G2 Botcon Stunticons therefore he should sell them, after he said that he was very attached to them for several reasons. Her advice doesn't make sense for a couple reasons - 1. If G2 Stunticons are not popular now, why sell them? Why not wait until they are popular and therefore worth more money? Why not sell something that is worth more money and takes up more space if he needed the money? 2. I believe the G2 Stunticons are worth more money than she claimed. 3. Why advise someone to sell something that they said they are very atached to other than to make better drama? I am sticking to my guns that she is not well informed about G2 Stuniticons.

Like most TF collectors, I take my advice from Transformers experts when I choose to sell parts of my collection; not TV show paid auctioneers with a broad background in pop culture.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1415172)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on August 31st, 2012 @ 12:27am CDT
'Fraid I'm going to have to agree with Stormrider there. No one knows the value of Transformers more than Transformers fans, especially the ones who collect a ton, and are used to selling/trading/appraising them. She might have expertize in... researching skills, because thats all you really need to do, but you won't know the true values and trends unless you have been fully immersed in the fandom for decades.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1415179)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 31st, 2012 @ 1:00am CDT
Stormrider wrote:What the heck are you swinging at? Can you take it down 3 or 4 notches instead of leaping and making assumptions of what I meant? I could easily make assumptions about you based on your tone and what you wrote, but I won't (for the time being). I have watched a few shows and feel that the show is based on drama, and her angle is to push the people into dramatic points. (I don't think that should be a big surprise to anyone, since drama sells). In this particular episode she gave the guy advice that people are not into G2 Botcon Stunticons therefore he should sell them, after he said that he was very attached to them for several reasons. Her advice doesn't make sense for a couple reasons - 1. If G2 Stunticons are not popular now, why sell them? Why not wait until they are popular and therefore worth more money? Why not sell something that is worth more money and takes up more space if he needed the money? 2. I believe the G2 Stunticons are worth more money than she claimed. 3. Why advise someone to sell something that they said they are very atached to other than to make better drama? I am sticking to my guns that she is not well informed about G2 Stuniticons.


I am sorry that I made you feel that you need to be defensive. But honestly, you are pretty much telling me that you are allowed to assume things about others, but when it comes to others doing it to you... It is not okay. Meanwhile, you and one other have talked about this person and series as if you are an expert on both.

That is what your words are telling me. And FYI, I go with how things are said by the person, not the person who said... As it is easy to misunderstand the tone of a person you do not know. ;)

And what is the item being focused on? A 1994 Botcon exclusive that was sold for $1,300 and by a guy who placed himself in said situation. Not the person who has a huge collection she admired and told him to keep. Not the person who relied on his parents to pay the rent on not just his L.A.-based condo, but his business and bills. And not the fact that removing the item, he is freed of the addiction he developed due to his trauma being a sick child. >:oP

And when it comes to the show itself... I appeared on two episodes of Mtv's Singled Out, we spent an approximate 3 hours per episode and had to wait around 4-6 months until those episodes aired. So I know based on what I experienced and the final product, there is a lot of stuff not seen by the viewers. So what we had seen was what the producers wanted, not what the viewers deserved.

And finally, with the facts:

1) Dahveed has an addiction to Transformers.
2) Dahveed has a business that only increased his collection, not his profits.
3) Dahveed was relying on his parents when it came to his Los Angeles (assuming the Toy District is near Little Tokyo) condo.
4) Dahveed needs to remove an essential piece from his collection if he is going to break this addiction.
5) Dahveed was told to not sell his complete sets, which (combined) can probably have him buy the condo he lives in.

So the point is simple: If he did not place himself in a situation where he could become homeless if he parents cut him off, he would not have to sell the piece. And all he needed to do was have his home simply be decluttered, she would have used it as an incentive to have it be displayed instead of being left in his boxes.

Oh... And he has a complete set of "Return of Convoy" (1991). If he also had "Operation Combination" (1992, final set), he would be a deity among many serious collectors. ;)
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1415183)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 31st, 2012 @ 1:56am CDT
MINDVVIPE wrote:'Fraid I'm going to have to agree with Stormrider there. No one knows the value of Transformers more than Transformers fans, especially the ones who collect a ton, and are used to selling/trading/appraising them.

Not entirely true.

LINK: http://coolandcollected.com/toy-hunter-rise-from-ashland-episode-recap-and-review/

Take this and stores run by people who are also collectors. That collector paid an estimated $150 for a C-7 or C-8 loose Bumblejumper. He could have paid $35-$50 if his need for the piece was not there.

Plus, comic collectors have required a "Overstreet Comic Price Guide" for years. Stores that are run by collectors base their prices on what allows them to make a profit, not sentimental value. And other collectors will either overpay or underpay for items they want, while others require experts to help them set up a monetary value just in case they need to sell.

MINDVVIPE wrote:She might have expertize in... researching skills, because thats all you really need to do, but you won't know the true values and trends unless you have been fully immersed in the fandom for decades.


And where does it say that she does not have a collection of her own, has a history of collecting, and/or have family/friends that have collections of her own? What about the fact that she is an expert in pop culture? Does this mean she knows nothing about collecting?

I just watched the episode again. And while you were debunking her, you also ignored the fact that he developed a Transformers collection. And that the pieces she told him not to sell also had sentimental value, but were also complete sets. So if she was what you claimed she said, she would not have been the way she was.

Oh... And her behavior towards his collection, sans the one piece that could be sacrificed in hopes of helping him get his life in order, proves that she has her own collection and knows the difference of collecting and hoarding. ;)
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1415449)
Posted by Stormrider on August 31st, 2012 @ 5:57pm CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:
MINDVVIPE wrote:'Fraid I'm going to have to agree with Stormrider there. No one knows the value of Transformers more than Transformers fans, especially the ones who collect a ton, and are used to selling/trading/appraising them.

Not entirely true.

LINK: http://coolandcollected.com/toy-hunter-rise-from-ashland-episode-recap-and-review/

Take this and stores run by people who are also collectors. That collector paid an estimated $150 for a C-7 or C-8 loose Bumblejumper. He could have paid $35-$50 if his need for the piece was not there.

Plus, comic collectors have required a "Overstreet Comic Price Guide" for years. Stores that are run by collectors base their prices on what allows them to make a profit, not sentimental value. And other collectors will either overpay or underpay for items they want, while others require experts to help them set up a monetary value just in case they need to sell.

MINDVVIPE wrote:She might have expertize in... researching skills, because thats all you really need to do, but you won't know the true values and trends unless you have been fully immersed in the fandom for decades.


And where does it say that she does not have a collection of her own, has a history of collecting, and/or have family/friends that have collections of her own? What about the fact that she is an expert in pop culture? Does this mean she knows nothing about collecting?

I just watched the episode again. And while you were debunking her, you also ignored the fact that he developed a Transformers collection. And that the pieces she told him not to sell also had sentimental value, but were also complete sets. So if she was what you claimed she said, she would not have been the way she was.

Oh... And her behavior towards his collection, sans the one piece that could be sacrificed in hopes of helping him get his life in order, proves that she has her own collection and knows the difference of collecting and hoarding. ;)


Obviously we don't know each other very well; you present a decent arguement but I don't agree 100%. That's fine with me. However I do have a question... are you married, in love with her, or related to her by any chance? I don't mean that in any disrepectful way. I am just trying to understand why you feel that your claims and plausible explanations that seem to stretch just far as mine are dominantly more correct. I am not asking you to accept mine. I am asking because you continue to hound that your explanation is the only correct one. Perhaps you personally know her, which I am perfectly fine with, or perhaps I am too much of a realist with TV.
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1415490)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 31st, 2012 @ 8:01pm CDT
Stormrider wrote:Obviously we don't know each other very well; you present a decent arguement but I don't agree 100%. That's fine with me. However I do have a question... are you married, in love with her, or related to her by any chance? I don't mean that in any disrepectful way. I am just trying to understand why you feel that your claims and plausible explanations that seem to stretch just far as mine are dominantly more correct. I am not asking you to accept mine. I am asking because you continue to hound that your explanation is the only correct one. Perhaps you personally know her, which I am perfectly fine with, or perhaps I am too much of a realist with TV.


I'm not related to her in any way. However, what you call "hounding" is me doing research on a person you personally chose to assume upon. And atop of that, I reviewed the topic at hand while speaking up... As in having the actual episode be shown on my television while I was typing out the facts.

And, atop of that, I knew numerous collectors that also sold items related to their collections. I had done first hand business with some of them, with one shop alone ranging from 1991 to today. And another being Mile High Comics, which was when and where I ended my comic collecting and made a brief transition into comic reading (via my local comic shop).

So when it comes to collecting, as I have collected everything from comic books to Transformers, I can vouch for the stuff she says on the show as being valid... And not scripted. Atop of the fact that I have seen every other show she was on, as well as nearly every British auction show that was shown on BBC America.

Plus, also, I will also point out once again that you can disagree all you want. But I did my research. I watched every key point made in the episode. And while you talked about "value"... There is the difference between "emotional value" and "fiscal value."

[And note, if you watched it straight through, she said that the emotional value of a collection is completely fine as long as it does not interfere with anything else in your life.]

So the point is this: What would be the point of him having anything if he kept that Botcon exclusive and became homeless because his business dried up, his parents no longer gave him the money to pay his rent and bills, and his friends/family chose to not be part of his addiction?

That was the point of the entire segment, and I am wondering if you simply chose to not go past the idea that you cannot always stick with the emotional value of a collection when it comes to issues like his. >:oP
Re: Preview Clip of This Week's Episode of the SyFy Channel's Collection Intervention (1415657)
Posted by KNM2012 on September 1st, 2012 @ 4:16am CDT
I wanted to post this because some of you thought I was harping, despite the fact that I was trying to point out the key point of the event - A Transformer fan who was at risk of losing a lot more than a mere Botcon Generation 2 figure.

Some of you probably hate me for sticking to the facts, ignoring the idea that you cannot place a number on anything that is a collection. And a good number of you bad mouthed Elyse for many reasons and one item tied to those reasons.

However... This is just an update on Dahveed, on behalf of his friend (Steve, the guy who is responsible for the intervention):

LINK:http://www.syfy.com/collectionintervention/article/interviews/page/7

Catching Up with Steve wrote:Since the show, would you say that Dahveed's collecting habits have changed for the better or for the worse?
Yes, I really think his collecting habits have changed for the best. He seems to be more focused on our animated series then heading down to the toy district in downtown Los Angeles to buy more toys. Usually I have to stay on him about animating but after the show I haven't which I think is a great positive sign.

Would you say that Dahveed's been more successful at separating his toy business from his pleasure of collecting or does he occasionally still blur the lines ever now and again?
I think before the show, there was a huge blur between collecting and selling for Dahveed. Afterwards, now he sees a definite line between the two.

Did you feel guilty about calling Elyse?
At first I did, Dahveed was very defensive about me calling Elyse. I was really afraid of losing our friendship. I was scared that all our hard work we put together on the animation was gonna fall apart about over toys. Not over a girl or money, but TOYS!

How did Elyse's visit help you? Do you think it was helpful for Dahveed?
Elyse's visit was extremely helpfully. Dahveed has a better understanding between collecting and selling. Our friendship and business is saved thanks to Elyse's help.

If Dahveed's collecting habits ever got out of control again, would you call Elyse back?
I really believe Dahveed has turned a corner…but if it did get out of control again, I would love to call Elyse back.

Do you think Dahveed will ever stop collecting?
No, nor do I think he should stop collecting. He just needed to learn what to collect and what to sell, which he did on the show.

Do you have any collection addictions of your own?
I'm a huge Baltimore Ravens fan and I collect all the player figures. Also collect Marvel's Superhero Squad figures, I have a ton of them. Even make my own toy comic books with them where they wrestle each other in the ring. Its pretty funny stuff.


So there you have it. The bad news is that Dahveed still does not have his Botcon Generation 2 piece that most of you bickered about. The good news is that he turned a corner and still has a home for his complete sets of Action Masters, Return of Convoy, etc. :BOT:

Oh... And FYI, this guy still needs to update his business page. :lol:

Click here to view an additional 10 comments about this topic at the Energon Pub Forums ...

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars
Twincast / Podcast #98:
"Combiner Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, August 14th, 2014