RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon?

Transformers News: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon?

Monday, January 17th, 2011 7:57AM CST

Categories: Toy News, Rumors, 3rd Party News
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 64,018

There has been much talk of Reveal the Shield G2 Optimus Prime, which should be available soon, talk of it's...
Incredible amount of articulation
Good detail
Its engineering
The fact that it has a chest you can open to reveal a (non-removable) Matrix

However there have been complaints;

Horrible colour scheme
Not enough paint apps
Horrible looking head
Horrible looking hands
Horrible feet
No trailer
No gun
Flames (shall they burn in hell)

Do you want this toy but feel like a few of the above mentioned flaws should be corrected then, well you might have your wish come true!
A post over at HK-TF.com's forum gives us a look at what might be an upcoming 3rd party product meant for "completing" G2 Optimus Prime. It's currently unknown which company will be producing this set.

For simplicity's sake we'll just pretend that this is in fact an upcoming product. What we can tell from the images the set comes with;

A new sword
New feet
New Head
Possibly new hands (the position of them in the images makes it hard to tell if they are new or if it's just an optical illusion)
Oh and a trailer which can turn into a battle station and combine with Optimus Prime

The trailer looks pretty close to that of the original G2 Laser Optimus Prime figure, but the silhouettes of both modes do reveal a few differences.

We have mirrored all images, however you can click here and see the original post over at HK-TF.com.

Credit(s): Blurrz, HK-TF.com
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170308)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on January 17th, 2011 @ 8:29am CST
SOLD! :D
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170309)
Posted by Love Dragon on January 17th, 2011 @ 8:30am CST
Looks like I am going to have to get this. Third party or not. My wallet is already begging for mercy.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170311)
Posted by kirbenvost on January 17th, 2011 @ 8:31am CST
Hmm, possibly interesting, if a little unnecessary. I'd personally wait until an RiD Scourge repaint.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170314)
Posted by whacko on January 17th, 2011 @ 8:41am CST
I am all for adding a trailer to Optimus Prime toys! :)

Now lets hope it doesn't cost $100+ to do so.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170321)
Posted by dragons on January 17th, 2011 @ 8:53am CST
i actually like the hands, & head, & sword, feet ok, paint job yes needed work i actulally liked other than fact it has no trailer.

i buy it if its avaliable at tfscource or bbts combined mode looks littel pointe less im sold
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170323)
Posted by Nemesis251 on January 17th, 2011 @ 8:53am CST
If it comes in Scourge or Nemesis Prime's color, SOLD!
I think Hasbro will release the repaint as Nemesis Prime since we have the Scourge name being used already.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170325)
Posted by El Duque on January 17th, 2011 @ 8:55am CST
Bought.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170336)
Posted by Rodimus Minor on January 17th, 2011 @ 9:15am CST
Cool he is getting an upgrade nice hope if they repaint him into RID Scourge he will get a repaint off this kit
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170340)
Posted by Rated X on January 17th, 2011 @ 9:24am CST
Need real pics to say any more...
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170356)
Posted by Down_Shift on January 17th, 2011 @ 10:05am CST
Unless it comes with a double barrel ion blaster i'll pass. To me, that's the only thing it was missing.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170365)
Posted by Godzillabot Primal on January 17th, 2011 @ 10:41am CST
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170371)
Posted by UltraPrimal on January 17th, 2011 @ 11:05am CST
Scourge! RiD Scourge!
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170378)
Posted by Down_Shift on January 17th, 2011 @ 11:11am CST
godzillabot wrote:Nice looking upgrade but the super mode just doesn’t work for me. Kind of looks more like a battle suit…. also did anybody see that OP bot’s eyes are staring right out of super mode’s chest behind the orange panel.

it's supposed to do that. Think of it more like an exo-suit.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170392)
Posted by Optimus1138 on January 17th, 2011 @ 11:46am CST
Sounds quite interesting... I doubt that I'll be getting it, since like most 3rd party products, it'll probably be too expensive, but it does look like it could be pretty cool.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170407)
Posted by Shadowstream on January 17th, 2011 @ 12:25pm CST
I was more than willing to live with some of the problems presented by G2 Optimus given how well articulated he seemed to be as well as having a sword...

then we're presented with the possibility of having a bigger one... among other things...

My wallet weeps. :BANG_HEAD:
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170417)
Posted by OptiMagnus on January 17th, 2011 @ 12:51pm CST
Looks cool, but it will probably be too expensive. I like G2 Optimus as he is. Bay flames and all.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170418)
Posted by T-Macksimus on January 17th, 2011 @ 12:52pm CST
No no no no and again...NO! #-o :BANG_HEAD:

It's just a simple deluxe class figure. Keep the fixes simple and stop adding crap that's going to jack it up out of someones price range.
Good grief, if I wanted to be teased and then horribly disappointed I'd hook back up with my ex-girlfriend...
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170428)
Posted by WarGraver on January 17th, 2011 @ 1:23pm CST
I had hoped that Fansproject would design a trailer for this.

Hopefully whoever is behind this is of similar quality. I can't tell from just the silhouette whether or not I like it. Looks top heavy.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170435)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 17th, 2011 @ 1:57pm CST
I love this, however I'm probably never going to use the combined mode since the original didn't have that.

I may have to get 2 Primes now, one to use as is and one for this upgrade.
Re: RTS G2 Optimus Prime upgrade set on the horizon? (1170447)
Posted by synthetik on January 17th, 2011 @ 2:23pm CST
A rid scourge upgrade would definitely be a better fitting

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #144 - Don't Touch That Dial