Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus?

Transformers News: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus?

Thursday, April 29th, 2010 5:04AM CDT

Categories: Rumors, Sponsor News, Toy News
Posted by: Mach   Views: 58,259

Recently we have reported that Takara Tomy has a "small plan" for this year to commemorate Transformers G1:2010.

When we reported the news on Masterpiece MP-4S Convoy Sleep Version, at the same time Takara Tomy has also created a new webpage for Transformers 2010.
In this dedicated webpage, we can see that Takara Tomy still has 3 more products in the bag.

Ray from Robotkingdom, our valued sponsor, has sent us an update that there will be a repaint version of Unicron, with a new remold head.

Robotkingdom has also opened the pre-order page for this Japan Universe Version Unicron, although no images are available at the moment.

Transformers collector and also Energon Pub member s250 has updated his tweeter blog with the following speculation:

"Another Unicron repaint release in September?
Is it part of TakaraTomy 2010 project?
So 1st Sleep Convoy, 2nd OP&Rodimus, 3rd Unicron, 4th MP Rodimus????"

We still do not have any official confirmation on this, so treat this a pinch of salt.
Head over to our thread to discuss and give your opinion on this rumor.

Stay tuned to Seibertron, Ultimate Resource of Transformers!
Credit(s): Robotkingdom, s250

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069045)
Posted by Blackstreak on April 29th, 2010 @ 5:12am CDT
Heh, I always wanted a unicorn repaint the size of a planet.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069049)
Posted by Flux Convoy on April 29th, 2010 @ 5:38am CDT
Blackstreak wrote:Heh, I always wanted a unicorn repaint the size of a planet.

You're probably by yourself on that one. ;) Unicron though, with a remolded head sounds interesting. I only own the black Energon version so far and wouldn't mind a normal deco'd one. Also, MP Rodimus would be pretty sweet IMO.
:BOT:
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069051)
Posted by VYPER ALPHA on April 29th, 2010 @ 5:48am CDT
mmm... Unicorn. Is that a Unicron with one horn?
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069054)
Posted by ang3l3s on April 29th, 2010 @ 6:04am CDT
Rodimus mp....I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069062)
Posted by Prime Evil on April 29th, 2010 @ 6:23am CDT
Y'know. I never actually bought a Unicron...I guess I should eventually pick one up. If the new head mold is nice, I might get this guy.

MP Rodimus as well!! I'm liking these 2010 products from japan so far. :D
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069063)
Posted by First-Aid on April 29th, 2010 @ 6:31am CDT
OKTOBER wrote:mmm... Unicorn. Is that a Unicron with one horn?

Good question. Typos FTW..:-P
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069064)
Posted by cannonfodder4000 on April 29th, 2010 @ 6:33am CDT
come to think of it i would a MP unicron alot more than a rodimus

since the armada version isnt completely accurate to the movie
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069066)
Posted by DTR69 on April 29th, 2010 @ 6:44am CDT
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069068)
Posted by moneycon on April 29th, 2010 @ 6:54am CDT
DTR69 wrote:What would be kool, is an MP Hot rod that has addons to actualy make him an MP Rodimus, rather than 2 seperate figures. Kinda like what fansproject has done with the classics figure.

That would be awesome...but then they would have to make 3 different colors to make more money....wait a minute, they'll probably do that anyway...either way that would be awesome.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069070)
Posted by Samsonator on April 29th, 2010 @ 6:58am CDT
I'm all for a Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy. For all the Hot Rod and Hot Rod-esque figures we get, there's a fairly limited amount of Rodimus Primes. As for a remolded Unicron figure... I've got Armada Unicron so I'm not too terribly worried, but if it's true and it's awesome, I'm probably sold.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069076)
Posted by Zeds on April 29th, 2010 @ 7:35am CDT

THEY SHOULD USE THE BEAST WARS NEO MOULD. See attached pic.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069077)
Posted by Blackstreak on April 29th, 2010 @ 7:39am CDT
Flux Convoy wrote:
Blackstreak wrote:Heh, I always wanted a unicorn repaint the size of a planet.

:BOT:

I got 2 repaints already. 8-} :P

Zeds wrote:They should just redesign Unicron altogether. That mould does not do him justtice. I will say something that has been said many times before:

THEY SHOULD USE THE BEAST WARS NEO MOULD. See attached pic.

Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069078)
Posted by Blackstreak on April 29th, 2010 @ 7:42am CDT
Delete this. I'm goofing on my edits.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069079)
Posted by OmegaPrime98 on April 29th, 2010 @ 7:55am CDT
MP HOT ROD FTW!!!! >:D W00TW00T!!!! MP HOT ROD!!!!!! EPIC WIN!!!!! :shock: :shock: =P~ =P~ if i get mp hot rod this will be me :KREMZEEK:
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069081)
Posted by Zeds on April 29th, 2010 @ 8:06am CDT
Blackstreak wrote:I remember that. I don't think it was ever put into production. I do have the original Armada Unicron and will probably be the only one I ever buy.

I know. They really should put it into production though. It is the only one that does him justice. Either that or harvest from the Primus mould and retool him. I do not think the present Armada Unicron mould is good enough.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069083)
Posted by --B-- on April 29th, 2010 @ 8:43am CDT
I guess it all depends on the re-mold, but damn, with all the FP stuff and all this stuff, my first Botcon (if I can get registered SOMETIME SOON) along with Generations, 2010 is going to be a record TF spending year for me!
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069085)
Posted by Counterpunch on April 29th, 2010 @ 8:51am CDT

THEY SHOULD USE THE BEAST WARS NEO MOULD. See attached pic.

Why?

It's horrible, tiny, and has a giant shell on it's back.

The Armada Unicron is large, posable, detailed, and integrates most if not all of Unicron's central themes. His only real flaw is that one side of the planet sphere is flattened to allow him to sit on a table.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069088)
Posted by kirbenvost on April 29th, 2010 @ 9:09am CDT
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069093)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on April 29th, 2010 @ 9:28am CDT
kirbenvost wrote:As much as I've realized I want a Unicron, that's somewhat out of my price range. I'm on board for an MP Rodimus though! :D

I'm thinking a new Unicron will be less than an MP Rodimus Figure. Armada/Universe Unicron was only $50. My guess is an MP Rodimus is going to be $129 - $150
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069100)
Posted by mechabooks on April 29th, 2010 @ 10:43am CDT
A MP Rodimus or Hot Rod would be AWESOME. Here's my credit card! Sign me up! :KREMZEEK:
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069108)
Posted by VYPER ALPHA on April 29th, 2010 @ 10:52am CDT
MP anything is great, the only unique mold i am missing is grimlock.
I doi think personally ghost starscream and dead optimus are beating molds for the sake of it.

I think they should do MP Coneheads since the mold is halfway made with starscream... i love thrust but an MP Unicron would go great with the classics.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069113)
Posted by originaldave77 on April 29th, 2010 @ 11:03am CDT
One would assume they'd follow with an MP Galvatron. :BOOM:
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069115)
Posted by ArmadaPrime on April 29th, 2010 @ 11:04am CDT

THEY SHOULD USE THE BEAST WARS NEO MOULD. See attached pic.

How could you! the armada mold is pure legendary. ok, that BWN is cool too, but i dont think quite makes the grade. This new one seems AWESOME
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069116)
Posted by Forgotten on April 29th, 2010 @ 11:06am CDT
If they do a MP Hot Rod/Rodimus i'll save some money since I don't care a lot for him. If they retool UT Unicron, I already have Dead Unicron so I can pass there. If they do a MP Unicron, release the G1 Unicron prototype or the Neo prototype my wallet shall scream in torment as it is ripped asunder.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069124)
Posted by UltraPrimal on April 29th, 2010 @ 11:49am CDT

If they repaint and remold the Armada mold to look more G1, something like this, I might buy it.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069131)
Posted by Convotron on April 29th, 2010 @ 12:21pm CDT

This is a great idea! I doubt TakaraTomy would do it but who knows? I like the concept of using add ons to modify a base figure.

I've recently started collecting S.I.C. figures, which have some two-in-one products such as Kamen Rider Black with swappable parts to make it Kamen Rider Black RX.

It's unlikely TT would make a Hot Rod MP figure as well as a Rodimus MP figure so if we had a Hot Rod MP with parts to upgrade it to Rodimus, it'd be great for TF fans and also easier for TT to manufacture(I imagine it'd be easier to manufacture one figure and add ons rather than two different figures).
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069133)
Posted by Zeds on April 29th, 2010 @ 12:27pm CDT
ArmadaPrime wrote:

THEY SHOULD USE THE BEAST WARS NEO MOULD. See attached pic.

Sorry but no not for me. The BWN version works on every level. In planet mode it actually looks like a planet and not a half attempt at one.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069135)
Posted by cannonfodder4000 on April 29th, 2010 @ 12:39pm CDT
Zeds wrote:
ArmadaPrime wrote:

THEY SHOULD USE THE BEAST WARS NEO MOULD. See attached pic.

yeah but thats why (like primus) he has a hemisphere on his back
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069138)
Posted by Dead Metal on April 29th, 2010 @ 12:52pm CDT
cannonfodder4000 wrote:
Zeds wrote:
ArmadaPrime wrote:

THEY SHOULD USE THE BEAST WARS NEO MOULD. See attached pic.

yeah but thats why (like primus) he has a hemisphere on his back

Which is my favourite part about Primus.

I really really want that Neo BW Unicron it looks awesome and has a badass backpack filled with deadly goodness.

I'm intrigued by this remold, if it's not just a remold but also painted to look more like the G1 version I'm so game for this.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069143)
Posted by Zeds on April 29th, 2010 @ 1:00pm CDT
Dead Metal wrote:Which is my favourite part about Primus.

Completely agree DM.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069145)
Posted by kirbenvost on April 29th, 2010 @ 1:23pm CDT
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:

The preorder for Unicron is already up on RobotKingdom for $99 USD. Import stuff is usually expensive, but that's a little much, IMO. MPs are usually the only figures I can justify spending that much on, because they're Masterpieces. That, and I'm much more interested in Rodimus, since he's my favorite character.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069158)
Posted by Wheeljack35 on April 29th, 2010 @ 2:31pm CDT
I would love to see Unicron in his G1 colors

I would love to graba MP Rodimus also
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069162)
Posted by munkimus prime on April 29th, 2010 @ 3:07pm CDT
OMG Masterpiece Hotrod/Rodimus left me with a masterpiece sized Hotrod/Rodimus down my pants.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069165)
Posted by Rated X on April 29th, 2010 @ 3:16pm CDT
Usually Japanese repaints are made to be more G1 acurate by fixing all the paint aps Hasbro screwed up. But Hasbro got the Unicron colors pretty G1 acurate. To get him any more acurate, they would have to alter the mold. They could make his chest plate resemble the G1 movie more. Wishful thinking would be that each wing would have 3 tentacles instead of 2 like the movie and the horns on his head would become the planet's mouth instead of having an extra set of horns on his shoulders. But I dont think the mold could accomadate that. For a repaint they should just mass produce that green version that looked so cool everybody should have one. ;)
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069168)
Posted by Mkall on April 29th, 2010 @ 3:21pm CDT
I'd get a Rodimus Prime to stand with my Optimus, but I'm not interested in a Hot Rod.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069169)
Posted by kirbenvost on April 29th, 2010 @ 3:24pm CDT
Rated X wrote:Usually Japanese repaints are made to be more G1 acurate by fixing all the paint aps Hasbro screwed up. But Hasbro got the Unicron colors pretty G1 acurate.

Well, they could start by getting rid of all the clear plastic and using other more G1-accurate colors, like in the image above.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069173)
Posted by Blozor on April 29th, 2010 @ 3:40pm CDT
A re-release of MP Ultra Magnus with armor?
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069181)
Posted by Blackstreak on April 29th, 2010 @ 4:09pm CDT
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:

I'm willing to bet the price will be comparable to each other. It all comes down to priorities- what would you rather have if not both?
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069185)
Posted by DavidT on April 29th, 2010 @ 4:20pm CDT
Is this pre-order over at BBTS the same Unicron referred to in the thread???

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069188)
Posted by Mkall on April 29th, 2010 @ 4:22pm CDT
DavidT wrote:Is this pre-order over at BBTS the same Unicron referred to in the thread???

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

Most likely yeah
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069191)
Posted by Razorclaw0000 on April 29th, 2010 @ 4:43pm CDT
Mkall wrote:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

Most likely yeah

As a Herald of Unicron, I have dutifully preordered.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069196)
Posted by Mkall on April 29th, 2010 @ 5:07pm CDT
Razorclaw0000 wrote:
Mkall wrote:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

Most likely yeah

As a Herald of Unicron, I have dutifully preordered.

I'm waiting for images before doing so.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069197)
Posted by Razorclaw0000 on April 29th, 2010 @ 5:12pm CDT
Mkall wrote:
Razorclaw0000 wrote:
Mkall wrote:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

Most likely yeah

As a Herald of Unicron, I have dutifully preordered.

I'm waiting for images before doing so.

I'd rather preorder and cancel, than wait and miss it. I've done that too many times. I love BBTS for that reason.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069212)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 29th, 2010 @ 5:53pm CDT
Makes one wonder what the next Masterpiece Decepticon is. Betcha 3,000$ the next Masterpiece is gonna be Galvatron. :lol: And as for Unicron, an Armada Unicron with a new head :-? ? That would be awesome! Can't wait to see what it looks like! :APPLAUSE:
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069220)
Posted by kirbenvost on April 29th, 2010 @ 6:08pm CDT

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

$135?!?

Is it dipped in freaking gold? No, just no. I'm sure I'll be able to find the Armada version for a steal after this. Unless this thing turns out to be TF of the year, MP Rodimus is MUCH higher priority for me.

Or maybe Hasbro will surprise us at Botcon and announce their own version. Unlikely I guess, since the Universe one just came out last year.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069231)
Posted by Stormrider on April 29th, 2010 @ 6:49pm CDT
Even if Takara does produce Rodimus Prime for 2010, which seems very probable - it does not mean that it will be a MP version, or even a new mold. At the rate they are going it could be a repaint of BT Hotrod, or a re-release of G1 Rodimus Prime.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069234)
Posted by Diem on April 29th, 2010 @ 6:56pm CDT
Stormrider wrote: At the rate they are going it could be a repaint of BT Hotrod,
Kiss Players Hot Rod?
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069251)
Posted by DTR69 on April 29th, 2010 @ 7:35pm CDT
UltraPrimal wrote:What does he mean by "2nd OP&Rodimus"? A rerelease 2-pack of the Classics molds?

Thats what it should of been like first time round. But no, they had to patronise kids, and add a see through flashing hand, how that is a good idea I don'y Know. SO much stuf looks like it has been designed by a 6 year old rather than designed for a 6 year old. I can't stand it when adults think they know what kids want and do patronising things like that. I remember when I was a kid how much I hate dthe look of G2. I was insulted by it to be honest. I think the overall form is pretty good and I love the adition of spikes on the arm, and the wing like structure retained from the G1 version. Did they not think for a second that a see thru flashing hand as well as beeing pointless and ugly, was just a camp idea full stop.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069252)
Posted by Diem on April 29th, 2010 @ 7:37pm CDT
DTR69 wrote:

[img]fancy%20Unicron[/img]

Yep. Hasbro know nothing about selling toys to kids.
Re: Rumor: Unicron Repaint & MP Rodimus? (1069275)
Posted by Dagon on April 29th, 2010 @ 8:45pm CDT
kirbenvost wrote:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

$135?!?

Since the Universe one was just a repackage (Right? I didn't buy one, but have the original Armada one, and they looked the durn same to me...) do you think that Hasbro might not want to get in on releasing a new Unicron regardless?

Click here to view an additional 11 comments about this topic at the Energon Pub Forums ...

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok