Chicago Cubs World Series 2016 8-Disc Collector's Edition Set from Shout! Factory

Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime

Transformers News: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime

Sunday, August 18th, 2013 2:40PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 20,774

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Thanks to Autobase Aichi we have a couple of scans from Best Gear that shed some additional light on Takara Tomy's FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime. The figure is indeed the remote controlled vehicle that was displayed at the Tokyo Toy Show earlier this year. Check out the scans mirrored below:

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime in the Works

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime in the Works


Here's a closer look at the concept drawing from the second page courtesy of Twitter user DSK3:

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime in the Works
Credit(s): Autobase Aichi, DSK3
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512549)
Posted by Mkall on August 18th, 2013 @ 2:46pm CDT
I'd say they missed their concept art rather completely. It's a shame too, that art looks like a badass Prime where as the final product looks like the designers said "ehhh, close enough"
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512550)
Posted by Mindmaster on August 18th, 2013 @ 2:46pm CDT
The sketch kinda reminds me of Armada Optimus Prime's first concept sketch.

Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512555)
Posted by Burn on August 18th, 2013 @ 2:57pm CDT
Kudos to TT for trying something different. Does it look like it's going to be a great concept? Probably not, but they have to start somewhere!

That concept art though ... damn!
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512561)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on August 18th, 2013 @ 3:14pm CDT
This may be the biggest disparity between concept art and final product yet. Interesting idea though and I'd still be keen to see it in action.
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512566)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on August 18th, 2013 @ 3:56pm CDT
my reaction to seeing the concept art versus final model
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512567)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on August 18th, 2013 @ 3:59pm CDT
Mkall wrote:I'd say they missed their concept art rather completely. It's a shame too, that art looks like a badass Prime where as the final product looks like the designers said "ehhh, close enough"



No kidding.
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512570)
Posted by Venowtron on August 18th, 2013 @ 4:08pm CDT
Ya know instead of a RC why not an actual figure
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512571)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on August 18th, 2013 @ 4:10pm CDT
Cyber Bishop wrote:
Mkall wrote:I'd say they missed their concept art rather completely. It's a shame too, that art looks like a badass Prime where as the final product looks like the designers said "ehhh, close enough"



No kidding.


Artist: "This is how he should look like"
Boss: "Yeah, Looks great. But how would the Remote Control and Auto-Transformation gimmicks fit in?"
Artist: "...What?"
Boss: "Didn't get the memo? Right, I'll get you a new copy 'K? O, if you can redesign it to make everything work, that would be great..."
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512578)
Posted by xyl360 on August 18th, 2013 @ 4:31pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:The sketch kinda reminds me of Armada Optimus Prime's first concept sketch.


Whoa. I WANT that as a toy! Even if it didn't transform, it would be totally badass. If Has/Tak never tackles it, I pray some third party will. I'd pay a lot of money for something that cool looking.

Anyway, back on topic. I still love the idea of these and have ever since I saw the original prototype video from the original's creator long before Has/Tak got involved so I'm glad to see they've gotten funding from a large company who is interested in pursuing it. I just hope sales numbers are high for these first versions once released so that Takara doesn't give up on the technology. Self-transforming RC Transformers toys would be AMAZING and I'm certain every kid would want one.

Venowtron wrote:Ya know instead of a RC why not an actual figure
You're right, they could have. And Headmasters might never have been created, nor Targetmasters, Weaponizers, Triplechangers, Botshots or any other number of innovative technological advancements or 'gimmicks' in Transformers throughout the years. Hell, why not revert back to brickformers and do away with articulation completely, particularly since it was something advanced by Beast Wars, which itself was a concept created out of the idea of having organic alt modes and therefore must be worthless?
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512593)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on August 18th, 2013 @ 5:24pm CDT
xyl360 wrote:
Venowtron wrote:Ya know instead of a RC why not an actual figure
You're right, they could have. And Headmasters might never have been created, nor Targetmasters, Weaponizers, Triplechangers, Botshots or any other number of innovative technological advancements or 'gimmicks' in Transformers throughout the years. Hell, why not revert back to brickformers and do away with articulation completely, particularly since it was something advanced by Beast Wars, which itself was a concept created out of the idea of having organic alt modes and therefore must be worthless?


I think you missed the point that integrating an RC component for the vehicle mode kinda completely botched any idea of a cool robot mode based on that concept art, and that an over intrusive gimmick can ruin a toy, kinda like some of the armada era toys. Not sure where you got that just because some figures were based on features or themes, we think they're worthless.
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512595)
Posted by fenrir72 on August 18th, 2013 @ 5:33pm CDT
Should have gone the "manual" way and ditched the remote control concept.
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512611)
Posted by Ultra Markus on August 18th, 2013 @ 7:31pm CDT
well what do you expect! its a remote controlled transforming robot
to keep it affordable its going to look like that
perhaps you would rather have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVb-_lY_C6U
can you afford it?
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512617)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 18th, 2013 @ 7:53pm CDT
People seem to forget that we've had RC Transformers toys before:




Ultra Markus wrote:well what do you expect! its a remote controlled transforming robot
to keep it affordable its going to look like that
perhaps you would rather have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVb-_lY_C6U
can you afford it?
I think you just hit the nail on the head with what to expect from this figure. Looking at that RC toy's transformation and robot mode design, I think that's pretty much what this new toy is going to be like in a nutshell.

It's awkward proportions probably come from the altmode that was chosen for it since that other toy's altmode is different and yet looks better proportioned in robot mode despite looking very similar in execution to this one.
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512640)
Posted by Moonshot on August 18th, 2013 @ 10:00pm CDT
Ultra Markus wrote:well what do you expect! its a remote controlled transforming robot
to keep it affordable its going to look like that
perhaps you would rather have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVb-_lY_C6U
can you afford it?


This is the one I saw a while ago and thought was awesome. It looks much better than this new Optimus one.
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512650)
Posted by Down_Shift on August 18th, 2013 @ 10:36pm CDT
Man, I wish it looked like the concept.

I love the FJ...
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512654)
Posted by TulioDude on August 18th, 2013 @ 10:51pm CDT
Looks interresting! :D
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512669)
Posted by xyl360 on August 18th, 2013 @ 11:57pm CDT
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
xyl360 wrote:
Venowtron wrote:Ya know instead of a RC why not an actual figure
You're right, they could have. And Headmasters might never have been created, nor Targetmasters, Weaponizers, Triplechangers, Botshots or any other number of innovative technological advancements or 'gimmicks' in Transformers throughout the years. Hell, why not revert back to brickformers and do away with articulation completely, particularly since it was something advanced by Beast Wars, which itself was a concept created out of the idea of having organic alt modes and therefore must be worthless?


I think you missed the point that integrating an RC component for the vehicle mode kinda completely botched any idea of a cool robot mode based on that concept art, and that an over intrusive gimmick can ruin a toy, kinda like some of the armada era toys. Not sure where you got that just because some figures were based on features or themes, we think they're worthless.

I think you missed my point. This is the first generation of a new type of toy. Where you guys see a botched bot mode, I see a first try at a new concept. Give them time, it will improve. Look at toys like those in the Robotmasters and Universe lines. They were great improvements over toys of the past with regards to accuracy, but then we got Generations/Classics and things improved even more. Now look at the modern MPs which are beyond that. I expect that if this line of toys continues, they too will improve over time as the engineers figure out new techniques of fitting in the gimmicks and making the bot modes look better.
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512674)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on August 19th, 2013 @ 12:34am CDT
xyl360 wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
xyl360 wrote:
Venowtron wrote:Ya know instead of a RC why not an actual figure
You're right, they could have. And Headmasters might never have been created, nor Targetmasters, Weaponizers, Triplechangers, Botshots or any other number of innovative technological advancements or 'gimmicks' in Transformers throughout the years. Hell, why not revert back to brickformers and do away with articulation completely, particularly since it was something advanced by Beast Wars, which itself was a concept created out of the idea of having organic alt modes and therefore must be worthless?


I think you missed the point that integrating an RC component for the vehicle mode kinda completely botched any idea of a cool robot mode based on that concept art, and that an over intrusive gimmick can ruin a toy, kinda like some of the armada era toys. Not sure where you got that just because some figures were based on features or themes, we think they're worthless.

I think you missed my point. This is the first generation of a new type of toy. Where you guys see a botched bot mode, I see a first try at a new concept. Give them time, it will improve. Look at toys like those in the Robotmasters and Universe lines. They were great improvements over toys of the past with regards to accuracy, but then we got Generations/Classics and things improved even more. Now look at the modern MPs which are beyond that. I expect that if this line of toys continues, they too will improve over time as the engineers figure out new techniques of fitting in the gimmicks and making the bot modes look better.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, that new concepts give way to new advancements. My point however is that once a specific gimmick, like this one, has become so intrusive to the figure that a robot mode has to be cut to the position of second thought, then there's a problem. Also your mention of the evolution of transformers improvements during the decades is nice, it dosen't exactly apply here, as those toys were based around creating actual transforming figures, this however, is based around an RC turning into a transformer, not the otherway around, as the RC function took precedence over the rest of the toy
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1512678)
Posted by Metrosuplex on August 19th, 2013 @ 12:48am CDT
xyl360 wrote:And Headmasters might never have been created, nor Targetmasters, Weaponizers, Triplechangers, Botshots or any other number of innovative technological advancements or 'gimmicks' in Transformers throughout the years.


You had me until "Botshots". "Innovative" and "Botshots" do not belong in the same sentence, let alone PAGE. Hell, they don't belong in the same document. #-o Botshots are springy pieces of sh*t that are cheap to make and sold at a premium (i.e. you CAN sell crap to dumb consumers!). They transform about as well as a flipped quarter. :-x

But seriously, boy am I glad to see all those years of technical expertise and engineering know-how leading to... springy crap that can't maintain alt-mode. Nice one, HasTak. :BEAVIS:
Re: Scans of Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime (1513480)
Posted by Mkall on August 22nd, 2013 @ 11:45pm CDT
A new picture has surfaced on the Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime, and hold on to your hats as this shows us the final robot mode (albeit in very a very tiny picture)

It seems that the fandom was led astray by a previous picture of a remote-controlled version of our favourite Autobot Leader, only to be linked to some concept art that looked nothing like it.

It appears there may be two versions of this figure being created. A remote-controlled version, and another designed to appeal to those fans who would desire more traditional Transformers toy, though it appears it may come with snap-on armour pieces to create the Optimus Prime colour of your choice: white or red. This one will retail for 4,200 yen (42.39 USD).

This image puts to rest any misconceptions we may have had about this figure. Yes, it does look similar to the concept art.



Ending Soon On eBay

SPRINGER~ Transformers UNIVERSE~ 100% Complete~  ~ 2008~ Chug~ - Time Remaining: 1 day 18 hours 7 minutes 43 seconds
Transformers Prime Rid WHEELJACK Deluxe Robots in Disguise Figure - Time Remaining: 16 days 5 hours 26 minutes 44 seconds
Takara Transformers Beast Wars II MEGASTORM D-12 figure Set G2 Megatron Destron - Time Remaining: 1 day 19 hours 59 minutes 17 seconds
Transformers Generations - Hound Figure - Light Box Wear - Time Remaining: 8 days 19 hours 27 minutes 40 seconds
Transformers Generations - Galvatron Figure - Light Box Wear - Time Remaining: 1 day 23 hours 27 minutes 45 seconds
TRANSFORMERS TITAN FORCE WINGBLADE BRAINSTORM & SENTINEL SDCC 2016 EXCLUSIVE SET - Time Remaining: 3 days 3 hours 16 minutes 56 seconds
Transformers: Titans Return - Alpha Trion & Sovereign - Light Wear - Time Remaining: 3 days 3 hours 26 minutes 52 seconds
TRANSFORMERS 2014 COMBINER WARS SILVERBOLT SUPERION AERIALBOT EUROPEAN SEALED - Time Remaining: 2 days 21 hours 45 minutes 32 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #160 - Grappling with Memory
Twincast / Podcast #160:
"Grappling with Memory"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, December 3rd, 2016
Website Security Test