SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing

Transformers News: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing

Wednesday, July 17th, 2013 9:29PM CDT

Categories: Site News, Toy News, Event News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 27,031

Seibertron is live at the SDCC 2013 preview night, and we now have additional images of Transformers Generations Voyager Class Whirl and Deluxe Class Dreadwing! As previously stated in the first look story, Voyager Class Whirl was shown in prototype form at the Hasbro panel during last month's BotCon. As you can see the figure sports a very G1 appearance. We also have images of Dreadwing, a remold/redeco of the soon to be released Deluxe IDW styled Stealth Bomber Megatron. Other Generations figures on display include the following, which were previously on display at BotCon.

• Voyager Doubledealer
  • Voyager Rhinox
  • Deluxe Goldfire
  • Deluxe Skids
  • Deluxe Thundercracker
  • Deluxe Waspinator
  • Deluxe Hoist

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504074)
Posted by Starwave Prime on July 17th, 2013 @ 9:30pm CDT

'cept Metroplex of course ;)
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504075)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on July 17th, 2013 @ 9:35pm CDT
Aaaaaaannnnnnnnd pass.

I too was hoping for a MTMTE design.

Oh well. BRING ON THE BUILD-A-BOT RESULTS!
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504077)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on July 17th, 2013 @ 9:48pm CDT
Okay the mistransformed IDW megatron mold is starting to get depressing #-o
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504078)
Posted by megatronus on July 17th, 2013 @ 9:49pm CDT
Starwave Prime wrote:No offense meant to anyone who likes the figure, but every new Generations toy I see reaffirms my recent decision to stop collecting everything except Masterpiece, the quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore when comparing these figures to those that come from earlier in the "classics" lines :-(

No offense taken, but I respectfully disagree. At least in the voyagers' case - Springer is nearly indisputably awesome, and I love Blitzwing all the same. Guess we'll have to wait for Whirl to release before we get a final verdict either way.
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504080)
Posted by RAcast on July 17th, 2013 @ 9:53pm CDT
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504081)
Posted by Moonshot on July 17th, 2013 @ 9:53pm CDT
Well that is horrible. I thought these were suppose to be IDW style figures. Man and I was so excited for IDW Whirl.
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504082)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 17th, 2013 @ 9:54pm CDT
Good lord, I really hope Whirl is mistransformed. :SICK: Something about his head just doesn't look right, either.

And actually, Dreadwing was on display at BotCon. ;) On that note: good Lord, he's even more mistransformed than he was at BotCon! :BANG_HEAD:
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504083)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 17th, 2013 @ 9:54pm CDT
RAcast wrote:I love how people are making decisions about it's "quality" and "size" when we haven't had it in hand or even SEEN IT next to anything well enough to compare it's size to yet. :roll:

This.
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504084)
Posted by Noideaforaname on July 17th, 2013 @ 9:56pm CDT
I'm kinda liking that Whirl, even though I'd much prefer a MtMtE version. That back shot has me worried the whole main rotor section could fall out a lot, reminds me too much of that dreadful RotF Blazemaster mold.

Seeing that Dreadwing makes me wonder how properly transformed everyone else is...
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504085)
Posted by Moonshot on July 17th, 2013 @ 9:58pm CDT
Oh man I just realized with the way Whirl looks I hate to see Tailgate. He was the main one I wanted in IDW style.
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504086)
Posted by RAcast on July 17th, 2013 @ 10:02pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:

This.

I mean, I could understand comments like "Hey, I think it looks good/bad because x, y, and z. And I like/dislike that it looks like IDW/G1 Whirl instead of ___ Whirl. Also I'm concerned about the weirdness with the shoulder struts, but I would assume that's some manner of mistransformation."

Comments like that? I totally get. But it's just silly to comment on the "quality" of a thing you know nothing about, unless you're from the future and have a production sample on hand. :lol:
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504087)
Posted by Moonshot on July 17th, 2013 @ 10:02pm CDT
phase wrote:
The Variable wrote:Slightly disappointed that they weren't using the IDW treatment for Whirl's design. I really like the VTOL mode he has there. But a Voyager scale update to the original toy is still full of awesome.

sixshot20 wrote:Man bit of a letdown I thought he was going to be like the MTMTE Whirl :-( . He still looks nice as an updated G1 Whirl though.

The reason they couldn't do MTMTE Whirl is the fact that not only his skinny, curved legs would be hard to articulate, he'd be as top-heavy as Mega-class Cheetor, if not more-so. They could've done his pre-MTMTE design, though.

They could have easily put a new head and paint on the old generations springer and had MtMtE Whirl done really nice.
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504090)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 17th, 2013 @ 10:05pm CDT
RAcast wrote:....unless you're from the future and have a production sample on hand. :lol:

...Yeah, haha, totally. Not like no one here is from the future or anything! :lol:

:-s
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504091)
Posted by Noideaforaname on July 17th, 2013 @ 10:27pm CDT
I'm thinking Whirl's legs can be reconfigured into a digitrade setup, like so:
<!-- ia0 -->whirllegs.jpg<!-- ia0 -->
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504093)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 17th, 2013 @ 10:29pm CDT
Noideaforaname wrote:I'm thinking Whirl's legs can be reconfigured into a digitrade setup, like so:
[attachment=0]whirllegs.jpg[/attachment]

Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504094)
Posted by Blozor on July 17th, 2013 @ 10:30pm CDT
So far, Whirl is a pass. I still like the Whirl repaint of Blackout with the custom Whirl head. What they really need to make is a decent Roadbuster for once. Like All Hail Megatron big.
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504095)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on July 17th, 2013 @ 10:33pm CDT
who the hell transforms these things? i hope they know they lose customers because it makes the toy look like crap, and if i did not know it was mistransformed i would ate it. but since i know its mis transformed i can expect it to look a lot better when properly transformed. still looking forward to this toy. :grin:
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504105)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on July 17th, 2013 @ 10:48pm CDT
I'm sure that, once transformed properly, that Whirl will be sweet. I'm liking most of what I see of it already. It triggers a G1 feeling, and I'm not sure why exactly, but it's the only one out of all the Generations unveils that I actually want to own. The rest are take it or leave it (reasons varying from crappy figure to already owning that mold/character) The Beast wars figures look the best so far, but I don't collect Transformers with organic beast modes.

Oh, and Trailbreak is awesome, so Hoist is as well.

I am no longer interested in Metroplex. Not until I can first own a Unicron that trumps it in size.
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504110)
Posted by Noideaforaname on July 17th, 2013 @ 10:59pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:Chicken legs ala Movie Starscream? Interesting. Did he have his legs like that in any media? I haven't read any of the comics, sadly. :-(

Yep, in the current MtMtE series he's got chicken legs, as well as a few other odd features.
<!-- ia0 -->mtmteWhirl.jpg<!-- ia0 -->
Re: SDCC 2013 Coverage: Transformers Generations Voyager Whirl and Deluxe Dreadwing (1504113)
Posted by Flashwave on July 17th, 2013 @ 11:00pm CDT
Well, I for one really like him, and his GI Apache (Cobra?... not the villans, the helicopter) alt mode, but the shoulders worry me, and there's absolutely no attempt to hide rbot parts here the engine pods, and would itg have killed someone to put some kind of folding cover over his upper thighs to hid his waist joint in helicopter mode? Energon Bulkhead did it... Even something like Animated Megatron's leg covers would've been a little more effective than him running around with his thighs showing. And I do hope there's a better placve to mount those guns.

But then, I love that Whirl co,mes with FOUR different weapons.

Now, here's hoping for a Rotorstorm repaint!!

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Dark of the Moon Optimus Prime Deluxe Walmart Exclusive MISB - Time Remaining: 1 day 20 hours 51 minutes 31 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Dark Of The Moon DOTM Cyberverse ARMORED WEAPONS OPTIMUS PRIME New! - Time Remaining: 1 day 20 hours 55 minutes 6 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Takara Tomy Henkei Classics United UN-23 RODIMUS PRIME Hot Rod RARE - Time Remaining: 1 day 13 hours 54 minutes 52 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Combiner Wars Generations Legends PIPES GROOVE POWERGLIDE Lot Of 5 - Time Remaining: 2 days 13 hours 25 minutes 4 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Generations ULTIMATE GIFTSET Jazz Thundercracker Prime New RARE! - Time Remaining: 1 day 14 hours 9 minutes 58 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Construct Bots OPTIMUS PRIME HOUND MEGATRON SOUNDWAVE Lot New! - Time Remaining: 2 days 6 hours 54 minutes 52 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Dark Of The Moon DOTM Movie Leader Class IRONHIDE Sealed New RARE! - Time Remaining: 1 day 22 hours 10 minutes 6 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Power Core Combiners HUFFER SEARCHLIGHT SMOLDER SLEDGE Lot MOSC New - Time Remaining: 1 day 18 hours 54 minutes 52 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #156 - Gestalt Theory