Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9

Transformers News: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9

Tuesday, September 4th, 2012 10:57PM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Reviews, Site News
Posted by: Anonymous.   Views: 37,440

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

FLIGHT

SPOILER FREE
(CONTAINING SPOILERS FROM PREVIOUS RID ISSUES, HOWEVER)


With summer fun in the books, the IDW ongoing Transformers series starts September off with Robots In Disguise #9. Issue #8 left us with a rather vague cliffhanger involving Ironhide and the Dinobots. Barber continues the RID series with a rather abstract issue in #9. Initially I felt that the Cybertronians stuck on their motherplanet had a slew of villains to deal with - I find it rather perplex and unfortunate that those 'villains' have yet to come and there's animosity among the ranks!

Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9
And she's climbing her spaceship to heaven


The characterization of the Dinobots continue, and they are certainly following their leader who's stuck in the MTMTE-verse. They manage to acknowledge their lack of intelligence by oddly bringing themselves together as a group. That's not very good news for Ironhide. Reading through the issue I get the sense that's there's something wrong with the water outside of the major city. A virus? A plague? Jedi mindtricks? We'll find out in the next few issues or two.

Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9
Hey I just met you


Moving back to the main group, as readers we are focused into the mind of Bumblebee. While Bumblebee's political status in the Cybertronian hierarchy has increased tenfold in the previous Ongoing series and RID, I feel that Bumblebee's leadership qualities and personality have gone backwards. Once capable of bringing his fellow Autobots out of turmoil on Earth, he seems to be pulling a G1 Rodimus Prime, filling himself with doubt and stress, as his list of things to do keep piling on. Bumblebee's true resolve will be tested in due time.

Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9
Got 99 issues, but Prowl ain't one!


We also get guest appearances from Arcee, Blurr and Reflector. The Reflector trio is hilarious as always. Being a bartender has turned Blurr into a moody fellow, and Arcee smiling is one of the creepiest sights I have seen in awhile.

Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9
'Reflectors' at their best


overall, #9 sets up the Cybertronian faction with an incoming hurricane of events, however individually I felt that the issue lacked a 'wow' factor, even with the typical end page reveals. I also felt that the issue was forced to conclude itself in regards to Bumblebee, resulting in some confusion. Hoping our next issues and the upcoming RID Annual make this flight a little more enjoyable.

Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9
Time is not in lines, time is in circles. That's why clocks are round


:BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Credit(s): IDW Publishing
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9 (1417011)
Posted by Optimutt on September 4th, 2012 @ 11:12pm CDT
Hold up... Wait... Did I read that right? REFLECTOR? You mean the guy who got a big-ass shard through his chest, thus deactivating him? The three guys who were all destroyed on that creey-o-wierd planet that Wheelie was stranded on?

Mr. Barber, for shame! Unless there's some serious reason given that he's still alive, Reflector as a triptych is dead!
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9 (1417068)
Posted by Coptur on September 5th, 2012 @ 6:05am CDT
Reflector appeared in AHM the fact that he's alive is old news. Who said Viewfinder was dead he could've been in status transformers have been run-through before and not died.

The only issue is when did he get off the wheelie/quint planet?

Heck Turmoil was dead until they time travelled him.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9 (1417081)
Posted by Va'al on September 5th, 2012 @ 7:54am CDT
Coptur wrote:Reflector appeared in AHM the fact that he's alive is old news. Who said Viewfinder was dead he could've been in status transformers have been run through before and not died the only issue is when did he get of the wheelie/quint planet.


I think what you said was that the unresolved question is "how did viewfinder leave the planet Wheelie is stranded on". In that case, maybe the next issue will offer answers, as it's titles "Wheelie's world"!

I have to agree with the review: this issue has dipped a bit, seems to be trying to pick up loose ends from previous issues, but not really showing how they all fit together. Result: even more unresolved situations. I really hope it picks up again.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9 (1417088)
Posted by datguy86 on September 5th, 2012 @ 8:14am CDT
Judging by Wheeljack's comments about time and the image of Bumblebee's ornament being shattered, maybe they'll introduce the Shattered Glass world. :lol:

Anyway, I haven't read much of RiD but it seems to lack the energy of MTMTE, in my opinion.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9 (1417139)
Posted by Coptur on September 5th, 2012 @ 10:51am CDT
Hopefully they'll answer the Reflector question in the next issue, my bet is the Quintessons are behind his reactivation.

I love Reflector and would like to see more on them/him.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9 (1417207)
Posted by Anonymous. on September 5th, 2012 @ 2:28pm CDT
Va'al wrote:I have to agree with the review: this issue has dipped a bit, seems to be trying to pick up loose ends from previous issues, but not really showing how they all fit together. Result: even more unresolved situations. I really hope it picks up again.


The more i read this, the more I start to nitpick it. The way Ironhide conveniently finds Sbolt's transmission. Starscream and Metalhawk are being more of a circus rather than a legitimate threat to Bumblebee's reign, yet still Bumblebee's still feeling 'pressure'. I feel he's leaning towards wanting something bad to happen so he has something to do, rather than coping with the maintenance of a combined faction of Cybertronians. .
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9 (1417217)
Posted by Va'al on September 5th, 2012 @ 2:43pm CDT
Blurrz wrote:
Va'al wrote:I have to agree with the review: this issue has dipped a bit, seems to be trying to pick up loose ends from previous issues, but not really showing how they all fit together. Result: even more unresolved situations. I really hope it picks up again.


The more i read this, the more I start to nitpick it. The way Ironhide conveniently finds Sbolt's transmission. Starscream and Metalhawk are being more of a circus rather than a legitimate threat to Bumblebee's reign, yet still Bumblebee's still feeling 'pressure'. I feel he's leaning towards wanting something bad to happen so he has something to do, rather than coping with the maintenance of a combined faction of Cybertronians. .


Yes. There has been much less pressure from Metalhawk and Starscream compared to the previous issue. Although I did like the Maccadam's interior scene; that's the kind of thing that keeps the dissent still visible, while not interfering with the story.

(It also has Generations Warpath in all his glorious toy self!)
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9 (1417608)
Posted by Randomhero on September 6th, 2012 @ 7:10pm CDT
Okay okay here is you're reason Reflector lives:

Turmoil's ship is the ship from Spotlight Whellie that Reflector was in. In issue 9 The tri was given a task by shockwave that they say "is fate" in the issue the ship is stolen. Its obvious Reflector stole the ship and some how ended up in the past on Wheelies planet where they met their fate. Once again thank John Barber for fixing problems
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9 (1418474)
Posted by Scourgescream on September 9th, 2012 @ 1:13pm CDT
datguy86 wrote:
Anyway, I haven't read much of RiD but it seems to lack the energy of MTMTE, in my opinion.


RID has always lacked the energy of MTMTE from day one. Not to say that RID doesn't have merits it is just clearly behind MTMTE quality wise
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews IDW Transformers: Robots In Disguise issue #9 (1421968)
Posted by quickmixed on September 20th, 2012 @ 2:20am CDT
Randomhero wrote:Okay okay here is you're reason Reflector lives:

Turmoil's ship is the ship from Spotlight Whellie that Reflector was in. In issue 9 The tri was given a task by shockwave that they say "is fate" in the issue the ship is stolen. Its obvious Reflector stole the ship and some how ended up in the past on Wheelies planet where they met their fate. Once again thank John Barber for fixing problems


:shock: This makes too much sense. Nice work.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #105 - Megatronus
Twincast / Podcast #105:
"Megatronus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, November 23rd, 2014