Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion

Transformers News: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion

Saturday, June 12th, 2010 7:12PM CDT

Categories: Editorials, Reviews, Toy News
Posted by: Nekoman   Views: 75,117

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Much to my surprise, the Transformers Collector's Club Dion arrived in the mail for me today. I very gleefully opened my little white box to a figure that’s interesting no doubt. But is he worth twenty to forty dollars? Read on for my thoughts:

Dion’s namesake traces back to an episode of Generation One, where the Arielbots traveled back in time to a Cybertron in the past. Dion was a Autobot dock worker they met, but if you know Generation One, I probably need go no further. Dion would receive a Japanese E-hobby exclusive based on him as a redeco of Wheelie, but this new Dion uses Universe (2008 - 2009) Hotshot’s mold, or more precisely, the Japanese Henkei version. He is also part of the Elite Guard, and is intended as a part of the 2009 Botcon “Wings of Honor” set.

Image
Image

With that said, Dion is a pretty sharp little car. The paint applications are very detailed, although as indicated by stock photos, he has one flaw: On each side of the car there is a Autobot insignia that is placed closely to the door hinges. As such, the upper corner of the emblem is missing. It’s a little bit glaring, as this is somewhat of a focal point on the toy. The side windows are also painted, but it is a color very close to the rest of his windows and blends nicely.

This was my first experience with the newer Hotshot mold, so I was unfamiliar with his conversion from alternate mode to robot mode. On a somewhat humorous note, the transformation begins with his head between his legs, although it is surprisingly not too difficult regardless. I find it’s a much smoother transformation than some of the other figures from his era, such as Sunstreaker, requiring less “massaging” or so to speak.

Image

It’s very much a subjective assertion, but in robot mode he’s just pleasing to look at, and for once I feel his visor is very cool looking. Best part: it’s clear, so you can see his face through it. Speaking on the mold details, the sculpt is highly detailed, but what’s also nice is that there are enough paint applications to really bring out everything. He does however have a lot of kibble, especially on his shoulders, but it doesn’t hinder him much in terms of articulation, which is one of the nice parts of Henkei tooling. The other nice part is the inclusion of guns, which in the case of this mold aren’t chrome for the first time.

Image

He also comes with Cop-Tur, who is a little more novel than Dion is. Cop-Tur would be one of the few Go-Bots references we’ve seen recently which includes Fracture, Deadlift, and the unreleased Backtrack. He is very interesting in that respect and a creative use of the tooling.

Image

Unfortunately, Cop-Tur stops being good past that. The mold itself isn’t the best, with problems including that he can’t even stand up straight. To stand the figure you practically have to hunch him over like an old man, due to the proportioning of his weight. He is very top-heavy, and to make matters worse his feet are like small stilts. Because of the few parts he is made of, it doesn’t ever feel like you’re done transforming him, and speaking in general, the mold is a total downgrade from the original Jolt that came packaged with Armada Hotshot. He’s a nice bonus, but that’s about it.

Image

My last complaint would be that he doesn’t look good on Dion at all. It’s more a problem with Dion’s mini-con port, but he looks very simply tacked on. There’s little reason to ever combine/ powerlink them since it would just take away from Dion’s general look.

My closing remarks: Dion himself is a great toy, and a nice way to work Hotshot’s likeness into a “Neo-G1” collection. He has flaws, but most are a carryover from the tooling used. All in all, I recommend him to collectors of Classics style toys, and also to the people who are into novelty Transformers.
Credit(s): Nekoman
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085550)
Posted by Samsonator on June 12th, 2010 @ 7:29pm CDT
Awesome, I can't wait for mine to show up! :grin:
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085561)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on June 12th, 2010 @ 7:44pm CDT
Nekoman wrote:Unfortunately, Cop-Tur stops being good past that. The mold itself isn’t the best, with problems including that he can’t even stand up straight. To stand the figure you practically have to hunch him over like an old man, due to the proportioning of his weight. He is very top-heavy, and to make matters worse his feet are like small stilts. Because of the few parts he is made of, it doesn’t ever feel like you’re done transforming him, and speaking in general, the mold is a total downgrade from the original Jolt that came packaged with Armada Hotshot. He’s a nice bonus, but that’s about it.

Mine came today as well, and this is my only complaint. The Cop-Tur/Jolt mold isn't able to stand on it's own without hunching forward.
:sad:

Nekoman wrote:My closing remarks: Dion himself is a great toy, and a nice way to work Hotshot’s likeness into a “Neo-G1” collection. He has flaws, but most are a carryover from the tooling used. All in all, I recommend him to collectors of Classics style toys, and also to the people who are into novelty Transformers.

I picked up an Animated Sentinel Prime, but kind of wish I hadn't passed on Jazz now. I'd use these two to flesh out a 3-bot Elite Guard with Dion being the third member, kind of like how I did with the Animated Dinobots. (I couldn't stand Animated Grimlock, but I picked up Swoop and Snarl to join up with Classics Grimlock.) I do have G1 Kup, though, and he was the one telling the story that became Wings of Honor. (It's by way of this point that I'd consider Wings of Honor as much a Classic-verse story as it's own [by the rational that classic-verse is a continuity that considers Marvel's G1 comic a prequel].)
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085569)
Posted by Anonymous. on June 12th, 2010 @ 7:55pm CDT
Dion looks pretty ace. Hopefully a fellow member can bail me out with the figure in the future...
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085571)
Posted by Midnight_Fox on June 12th, 2010 @ 7:59pm CDT
Thanks for the review, can't wait to get mine.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085576)
Posted by Protecticus Maximus on June 12th, 2010 @ 8:06pm CDT
Look at the Autobot logo.

Doesn't it look like this: o_0 :lol: :BANG_HEAD: :BOOM:

It has armada laserbeak syndrome!*

(*Plastic Addict 24: on youtube)
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085577)
Posted by bvzxa on June 12th, 2010 @ 8:08pm CDT
The mold of Hot Shot has issues for both Takara and Hasbro. The Takara mold has a little more movement in the arms because of the modified shoulders. Hence the clubs use of the Takara version, it will be a little more fun. Haven't decided if I will keep it in the box, or display it...But I will test it out when I get it.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085582)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on June 12th, 2010 @ 8:17pm CDT
Midnight_Fox wrote:Thanks for the review, can't wait to get mine.

Yeah, great work on the review, Nekoman!
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085603)
Posted by Swiftpaw on June 12th, 2010 @ 8:45pm CDT
It kinda amuses me.

Armada Hotshot - Craptastic figure, awesome minicon.
Classics Hotshot/TFCC Dion - Awesome figure, craptastic minicon.

Fortunately I still had my Armada Hotshot, so I ditched the crap and put that Jolt on Classics HS. Much better.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085614)
Posted by Frostic_Prime on June 12th, 2010 @ 9:09pm CDT
Damn, now I need this. Great review thanks man!
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085615)
Posted by LiKwid on June 12th, 2010 @ 9:12pm CDT
What kind of packaging did dion come in ? I hope it's not the crushed and destroyed tiny cardboard box and way too small baggy..My heatwave came in 3 peices..Sure hoipe Dion doesn't :(
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085633)
Posted by Cryo Prime on June 12th, 2010 @ 10:40pm CDT
Hell yeah got Dion AND Reentry Ravage today :grin:
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085651)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on June 12th, 2010 @ 11:25pm CDT
Did anybody notice that Dion doesn't come with the same missiles that Henki Hot-Shot did? According to early pictures he was supposed to come with them, what happened he lost them in the swim from China?
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085690)
Posted by DevastaTTor on June 13th, 2010 @ 4:55am CDT
Great review!
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085788)
Posted by Doctor McGrath on June 13th, 2010 @ 11:49am CDT
Now this is how the Hot Shot mold should look. It is a shame that the minicon is such a bad display of tooling. Wish I would have been able to pick him up.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1085824)
Posted by El Duque on June 13th, 2010 @ 2:38pm CDT
I really figured mine would have showed up already considering how close I live to their headquarters. Oh well maybe tomorrow. Looks really cool.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086142)
Posted by Stockade on June 14th, 2010 @ 1:10pm CDT
Awesome review man! its got me ready for my Dion!
actually making space on shelves and in my cabinets for exclusives and Generations figures...
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086145)
Posted by Prime Evil on June 14th, 2010 @ 1:22pm CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:Did anybody notice that Dion doesn't come with the same missiles that Henki Hot-Shot did? According to early pictures he was supposed to come with them, what happened he lost them in the swim from China?


No missiles? Really? Hmmm, not a deal breaker for me since I usually leave my missiles out when on display, but still kinda lame if true.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086148)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 14th, 2010 @ 1:28pm CDT
Prime Evil wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:Did anybody notice that Dion doesn't come with the same missiles that Henki Hot-Shot did? According to early pictures he was supposed to come with them, what happened he lost them in the swim from China?


No missiles? Really? Hmmm, not a deal breaker for me since I usually leave my missiles out when on display, but still kinda lame if true.


Maybe Nekoman choose to leave them out in his review? They tend to end up all over the place when accidentally fired you know ;)
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086153)
Posted by jrgreer74 on June 14th, 2010 @ 1:36pm CDT
Does anyone know where to find the customizable card on the website? The note said they discontinued the mailed one and put it online. I looked on their site, but to no avail. We need to add a link so we can make it easier for others to find. Thanks.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086167)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on June 14th, 2010 @ 2:39pm CDT
jrgreer74 wrote:Does anyone know where to find the customizable card on the website? The note said they discontinued the mailed one and put it online. I looked on their site, but to no avail. We need to add a link so we can make it easier for others to find. Thanks.

I'm kind of wondering, too. I really like that they did the kind of card they use for the Botcon figures and the other TFCC exclusives for this one - frankly, I feel like they should have been using that kind of card all along for the TFCC free figure bios – but if anyone wants to do the custom card, they aughta be able to find out how easily.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086175)
Posted by Prime Evil on June 14th, 2010 @ 2:52pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Prime Evil wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:Did anybody notice that Dion doesn't come with the same missiles that Henki Hot-Shot did? According to early pictures he was supposed to come with them, what happened he lost them in the swim from China?


No missiles? Really? Hmmm, not a deal breaker for me since I usually leave my missiles out when on display, but still kinda lame if true.


Maybe Nekoman choose to leave them out in his review? They tend to end up all over the place when accidentally fired you know ;)


OK, got my figure in the mail today. They do have the flame missiles with them. Now to shoot someone's eye out!! :twisted:
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086204)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on June 14th, 2010 @ 4:20pm CDT
Prime Evil wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Prime Evil wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:Did anybody notice that Dion doesn't come with the same missiles that Henki Hot-Shot did? According to early pictures he was supposed to come with them, what happened he lost them in the swim from China?


No missiles? Really? Hmmm, not a deal breaker for me since I usually leave my missiles out when on display, but still kinda lame if true.


Maybe Nekoman choose to leave them out in his review? They tend to end up all over the place when accidentally fired you know ;)


OK, got my figure in the mail today. They do have the flame missiles with them. Now to shoot someone's eye out!! :twisted:


I had originally thought the missiles were gone because of how well the guns looked. They really do look like stand alone blasters.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086236)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on June 14th, 2010 @ 5:34pm CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:I had originally thought the missiles were gone because of how well the guns looked. They really do look like stand alone blasters.

They would work as stand alone blasters, IMO.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086252)
Posted by El Duque on June 14th, 2010 @ 6:52pm CDT
So for you guys who have received him, did you receive a shipping notice?
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086257)
Posted by SJ21 on June 14th, 2010 @ 7:06pm CDT
Ok so I got Dion in the mail today. When I got him out of the package I was amazed at how nice it looked. The colors really pop on the car.

Then I transformed it the first time. I never messed with this mold before. I remember people on here complaining about the Hasbro version. I heard the Takara version was improved and solved the shoulder problem. After getting him into bot mode I decided he would go back to alt mode and never come out again.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086260)
Posted by Nekoman on June 14th, 2010 @ 7:14pm CDT
El Duque wrote:So for you guys who have received him, did you receive a shipping notice?


Nope, not me anyways.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086263)
Posted by El Duque on June 14th, 2010 @ 7:22pm CDT
Nekoman wrote:
El Duque wrote:So for you guys who have received him, did you receive a shipping notice?


Nope, not me anyways.


Well that's somewhat comforting, I guess.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086268)
Posted by Blackstreak on June 14th, 2010 @ 7:29pm CDT
I also received my Dion on the mail today. Or rather, I think it was Saturday since no one in my household retrieved the mail on said day. Anyways, I was wondering why this Hot Shot mold seemed to have a different transformation from what I remember in the Armada figure. It's not Armada at all!

And my first impression is that shoulder kibbling was a pain to get out of the way. But once I got it the piece transformed much smoother.

The only other disappointment is how Cop-Tur attaches to Dion in vehicle mode. All he does is slide into the spoilers with no real way to make it stay. I must be missing something on this one 'cuz I was thinking there was a post to make Cop-Tur stay put.

Over all, very impressive and a good addition to my collection.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086297)
Posted by Midnight_Fox on June 14th, 2010 @ 8:21pm CDT
Got mine today. Love him. Hadn't messed with the molding before. Some problems, but nothing major.

Hadn't received a shipping notice on mine, either.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086319)
Posted by Blackstreak on June 14th, 2010 @ 9:46pm CDT
LiKwid wrote:What kind of packaging did dion come in ? I hope it's not the crushed and destroyed tiny cardboard box and way too small baggy..My heatwave came in 3 peices..Sure hoipe Dion doesn't :(


It was a white cardboard box. Mine came a little crushed but the toy is still intact and minty. As for your Heatwave...wow. I'm sorry to hear that. The box for Dion didn't come to me quite as crushed as the box that had my Shadow Warrior set in it (along with the Devastator forearms and hands). But still, the contents were undamaged.

It may be wise to inform these dealers that when they ship the figures to have the mailers treat them as fragile. It doesn't cost them any extra.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086436)
Posted by Delicon on June 15th, 2010 @ 8:40am CDT
I'll probably be the speak up and say I really, really hate this figure. oh, he looks nice but mine at least seems to want to fall into 9 pieces at the slightest touch.

Perhaps he will grow on me, we will see.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086437)
Posted by Prime Evil on June 15th, 2010 @ 8:48am CDT
I'm starting to think I'm the only one that really likes this mold!! I actually like him a lot better then I thought I would with these colors too. Coptur on the other hand, meh, I was never fond of the figure to begin with. He is still in his lil baggie.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086581)
Posted by El Duque on June 15th, 2010 @ 4:34pm CDT
Still no Dion for El Duque :-x
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086613)
Posted by --B-- on June 15th, 2010 @ 6:50pm CDT
I like the paint job, and I immediately popped the shoulder pieces off to display. I actually like the mold, it's not my favorite, and I sold my U Hotshot when I signed up for the club in anticipation of this.

Big question, do you display him with the guns in his fists, or on the sides of his arms?
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086640)
Posted by Vicalliose on June 15th, 2010 @ 9:00pm CDT
There's another thread where they are disscussing problems with this toy. Imma take this there.

Prime Evil wrote:I'm starting to think I'm the only one that really likes this mold!!

Well, I like it!
Though admittedly to fully enjoy the mold you do have to treat his back parts as accessories rather than kibble.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1086700)
Posted by Prime Riblet on June 16th, 2010 @ 3:35am CDT
Delicon wrote:I'll probably be the speak up and say I really, really hate this figure. oh, he looks nice but mine at least seems to want to fall into 9 pieces at the slightest touch.

Perhaps he will grow on me, we will see.


I don't think you are alone.

I bought Universe Hot Shot, and I really wish I hadn't spent that $10.00. I actually think the figure is cool looking in both modes, and the little details are quite good. I hate the transformation though. Absolutely hate it. I haven't paid any attention to that thing since 2 days after I bought it, and I think the cost of this repaint is highway robbery. Also, the hype that has been involved with this repaint has been unreal. I can understand why some people like it, but I am not one of them. I think the mold is crap. And Jolt/Cop-tur is pretty much a joke. It really seems more like a prize out of a Cracker-Jacks box than a "Minicon".
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1087769)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on June 18th, 2010 @ 11:09am CDT
Well I got mustard today err I mean Dijon or whatever his name is. The figure is the figure, but what really gets me, and I was expecting this, is that they discontinued the membership cards. I wouldn't mind as much if it wasn't for the fact no one can find the section of the site to customize your card. Here's the deal Dion is not free, his cost is covered in the membership fee as well as the newsletter, AND MEMBERSHIP CARD! Next year they better lower the fee since they've dropped one of the member items.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1087786)
Posted by Prime Evil on June 18th, 2010 @ 11:54am CDT
Vicalliose wrote:There's another thread where they are disscussing problems with this toy. Imma take this there.

Prime Evil wrote:I'm starting to think I'm the only one that really likes this mold!!

Well, I like it!
Though admittedly to fully enjoy the mold you do have to treat his back parts as accessories rather than kibble.


Sure I'm not the only one, but when in Bot mode, I fold the back pieces down. I'll have to take some pics tonite for reference. Gives the figure's shoulder a good range of movement.

@ --B-- I have my henkei Shotshot holding his guns in hand and Dion has them on his forearms. Just to give them a different look. Was thinkin about putting Dion's visor down as well. Not sure about that yet.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1087801)
Posted by Razorclaw0000 on June 18th, 2010 @ 12:47pm CDT
Prime Evil wrote:
Vicalliose wrote:There's another thread where they are disscussing problems with this toy. Imma take this there.

Prime Evil wrote:I'm starting to think I'm the only one that really likes this mold!!

Well, I like it!
Though admittedly to fully enjoy the mold you do have to treat his back parts as accessories rather than kibble.


Sure I'm not the only one, but when in Bot mode, I fold the back pieces down. I'll have to take some pics tonite for reference. Gives the figure's shoulder a good range of movement.

@ --B-- I have my henkei Shotshot holding his guns in hand and Dion has them on his forearms. Just to give them a different look. Was thinkin about putting Dion's visor down as well. Not sure about that yet.


I prefer the visor down on Dion, actually. Like he's going to weld something. He is as dock worker after all. He's workin' class.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1088119)
Posted by El Duque on June 19th, 2010 @ 10:25am CDT
So how many of you guys who are club members still haven't gotten these yet?
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1088172)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on June 19th, 2010 @ 2:41pm CDT
El Duque wrote:So how many of you guys who are club members still haven't gotten these yet?

Got mine a week ago this afternoon I think. The way the figures are currently arranged on the shelf above my computer, Dion's standing between Botcon 09 Elita-1 and Classics Prime. Don't think it's gonna stay that way; Prime should be next to Vector Sigma, and the way it's set up now, Elita-1 is...
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1088288)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on June 19th, 2010 @ 9:56pm CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:Well I got mustard today err I mean Dijon or whatever his name is. The figure is the figure, but what really gets me, and I was expecting this, is that they discontinued the membership cards. I wouldn't mind as much if it wasn't for the fact no one can find the section of the site to customize your card. Here's the deal Dion is not free, his cost is covered in the membership fee as well as the newsletter, AND MEMBERSHIP CARD! Next year they better lower the fee since they've dropped one of the member items.

I just now went looking, after reading this. All you need to do is log in to the website, I think; it's on the front page of the members area. Text reads: "06/14/10 - All Club Members can now download and print the official 2010 TCC Membership Card...Click Here!" I'm obviously not going to link the actual card; I'm only quoting verbatim what yer looking for.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1088293)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on June 19th, 2010 @ 10:43pm CDT
ShGarland_1383 wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:Well I got mustard today err I mean Dijon or whatever his name is. The figure is the figure, but what really gets me, and I was expecting this, is that they discontinued the membership cards. I wouldn't mind as much if it wasn't for the fact no one can find the section of the site to customize your card. Here's the deal Dion is not free, his cost is covered in the membership fee as well as the newsletter, AND MEMBERSHIP CARD! Next year they better lower the fee since they've dropped one of the member items.

I just now went looking, after reading this. All you need to do is log in to the website, I think; it's on the front page of the members area. Text reads: "06/14/10 - All Club Members can now download and print the official 2010 TCC Membership Card...Click Here!" I'm obviously not going to link the actual card; I'm only quoting verbatim what yer looking for.


I appreciate it brother. I was going off what other people had said about finding the link.
Re: Seibertron.com Reviews TFCC Dion (1088327)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on June 20th, 2010 @ 3:29am CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:
ShGarland_1383 wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:Well I got mustard today err I mean Dijon or whatever his name is. The figure is the figure, but what really gets me, and I was expecting this, is that they discontinued the membership cards. I wouldn't mind as much if it wasn't for the fact no one can find the section of the site to customize your card. Here's the deal Dion is not free, his cost is covered in the membership fee as well as the newsletter, AND MEMBERSHIP CARD! Next year they better lower the fee since they've dropped one of the member items.

I just now went looking, after reading this. All you need to do is log in to the website, I think; it's on the front page of the members area. Text reads: "06/14/10 - All Club Members can now download and print the official 2010 TCC Membership Card...Click Here!" I'm obviously not going to link the actual card; I'm only quoting verbatim what yer looking for.


I appreciate it brother. I was going off what other people had said about finding the link.

Glad I could help. Just happened to see the post earlier, and thought to go look for myself. I wasn't able to find it before, either, but this time, there it was.

Just to make sure: those that still haven't seen it yet just need to log into their account, and go to the main page of the members area; should still be the most recent news bit on that page.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism
Twincast / Podcast #106:
"McCarthyism"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, December 4th, 2014