Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers?

Transformers News: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers?

Tuesday, December 10th, 2013 2:40PM CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Rumors
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 92,373

Australian comic book writer Shane McCarthy, creator of the character Drift and author of the All Hail Megatron storyline, has tweeted something potentially interesting to the Transformers comics readership a while back. Will he be returning to an ongoing series, maybe once Dark Cybertron is over and ReGeneration One ends? Or is he writing something else? Check out the tweet below, and speculate away in the Energon Pub!

Just realised I spent the afternoon writing Transformers while wearing my Optimus Prime t-shirt #hardcore #nerdlife

You know I now realise I probably shouldn't have tweeted that haha.
Credit(s): Shane McCarthy
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534303)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 10th, 2013 @ 3:22pm CST
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534304)
Posted by Va'al on December 10th, 2013 @ 3:25pm CST
*shrugs*

I still enjoy both Drift and AHM. Yes the pacing can be a bit slow, but there were plenty of ideas, a new way of working with the characters and hey! A new character! :D
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534305)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 10th, 2013 @ 3:32pm CST
If this is true and it's mainline again, I'm dropping the comics again.

I hated his continuity changes, and tone and feel changes. I'm still bitter about not getting to read the end of Furman'S original plan, MTMTE and RID are a good replacement but if idw lets him take those over again, or replace them, well then I'm done with them forever.
Luckily it's easier for my comic store to cancel tpb orders than floppies.
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534311)
Posted by Va'al on December 10th, 2013 @ 3:47pm CST
Roberts has confirmed there will be a 'season 2' to MTMTE. I believe McCarthy may be part of a new series, replacing Beast Hunters and ReGeneration, or maybe even just a one-shot!

Don't lose faith yet! :D
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534319)
Posted by 1984forever on December 10th, 2013 @ 4:13pm CST
YES! :D

Shane uses the original characters that made Transformers great and he gets the voices right! His AHM would have been a masterpiece if it wasn't weighted down with IDWs crappy continuity! McCarthy's work is so much better than Roberts, but yet he doesn't get enough praise. All Roberts wants to do is write bar scenes where Autobots play drinking games in a Cybertronian society he world-built to be a cheap KO of Earth culture. Shane on the other hand, knows what REAL Transformers are and he knows exactly what they should be doing! :BOWDOWN:
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534327)
Posted by synapse on December 10th, 2013 @ 4:39pm CST

It seem I'll be dropping TF comics... again.

Va'al wrote:or maybe even just a one-shot!

Don't lose faith yet! :D

I certainly hope it's JUST a one-shot.
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534329)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on December 10th, 2013 @ 4:40pm CST

Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534331)
Posted by synapse on December 10th, 2013 @ 4:47pm CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:EDIT: Dammit, Synapse, you beat me to the punch. But great minds and all that, eh?

;)

I hope there are enough great minds at IDW to NOT let this guy write TFs again. Not for long, anyway.
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534340)
Posted by lowman_x on December 10th, 2013 @ 5:09pm CST
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534353)
Posted by Va'al on December 10th, 2013 @ 5:51pm CST
lowman_x wrote:As long as there's someone holding the reins and making sure that everything ties in together properly I'm not too fussed. My main issue with AHM was the complete disregard for the previous continuity and then the codas and following ongoing having to try and fix the problems. I enjoyed the Drift miniseries.

Yeah, I have a feeling that under Barber's editing, McCarthy's writing would really really work.
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534380)
Posted by Vicalliose on December 10th, 2013 @ 7:11pm CST
I don't mind Shane coming back that much. All things considered, I don't care much for any of the comics written by anyone other than James Roberts, Nick Roche, or Furman.

I can agree with most peoples hatred for the discontinuity caused by McCarthy, but I was still able to enjoy AHM and the introduction of Drift's character. I hated Ongoing A LOT more than All Hail Megatron. Never liked Mike Costa. And Don Figueroa, who used to be one of my favorite Transformers artists, might as well have jumped off a cliff.

I'll give him a fair chance for whatever he's doing. And if he screws up again, well whatever. I mean the continuity, story, and art have been screwed so many times by IDW suddenly deciding to swap things out I don't really know if I care anymore. >:oP

Also yeah. I suppose with Barber on damage control editing, things can't be too bad.
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534414)
Posted by Henry921 on December 10th, 2013 @ 10:43pm CST
synapse wrote:
Va'al wrote:or maybe even just a one-shot!

Don't lose faith yet! :D

I certainly hope it's JUST a one-shot.

Agreed. Shane's recent Mars Attacks!: The Transformers one-shot surpassed my expectations by being deliciously over the top, and probably gave some TF fans nostalgia feels.

If he's writing a one-shot or a four/five issue mini-series, then I am happy to see what he comes up with. If he's taking the helm on RID, then I am much less enthused.
Re: Shane McCarthy Back to Transformers? (1534463)
Posted by It Is Him on December 11th, 2013 @ 6:09am CST
Is Shane going to give us another Mary Sue?
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #103 - Road Trip