Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing

Transformers News: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing

Sunday, May 5th, 2013 11:06PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 31,919

Those of you lucky enough to already have Transformers Generations Voyager Class Blitzwing in-hand know he comes complete with an annoying little shoulder issue. The shoulders don't quite "lock in" properly resulting in floppy arms, but have no fear! Clever Transformers fans have already isolated the problem and came up with fixes.

First up, our own Seibertron.com member wewyllenium. His fix involves adding material behind shoulder flap, which provides enough resistance to fully engage the shoulder peg. Check out his YouTube upload below:

The second fix comes to us from YouTube user GIDAVE75. His fix is a bit more labor intensive, but addresses the root cause of the problem. This fix involves opening the figure up and sanding down some of the figure's inner parts. Sanding down the extra plastic allows the should peg to fully engage. Check out his YouTube upload below:

So there you have it, two fixes to make a great figure even better!
Credit(s): wewyllenium, GIDAVE75

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1484749)
Posted by OmicronZero on May 5th, 2013 @ 11:38pm CDT
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1484750)
Posted by lbullock7 on May 5th, 2013 @ 11:44pm CDT
My Blitzwing figure has the exact same problem. The 2nd video was very helpful thanks for the tips on fixing the issue.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1484751)
Posted by wewyllenium on May 5th, 2013 @ 11:45pm CDT
Hi. As per the two copies I've handles, here's a list of what to look out for.

Locking mechanism for the cannon needs trimming if too tight. Forcing it could break it.
The rubber nose cone dilemma. Rubber in TF toys are always a letdown. Except maybe for tires.
Shoulder connection issue. This can be fixed if your figure has this issue. I've elaborated on my video why this occurred in my copies.
Face change gimmick uses painted rubber. This could lead to the gimmick not working. Best one disassemble the head and shave off the paint on the connection for the face rotation.

Thanks and enjoy.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1484754)
Posted by omega666 on May 5th, 2013 @ 11:52pm CDT
OmicronZero wrote:I was under the impression that the only 'issue' was that the figure needs to be transformed properly, as shown in Peaugh's video. Is there some QC issue I have missed? I don't have the figure in hand yet.

I think everyone that has the figure has addressed that it's a QC issue. Peaugh did too.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1484766)
Posted by 702carnage702 on May 6th, 2013 @ 2:36am CDT
Fix 2 is the best just did it to mine and my Shoulders where bad now good only took 15 min
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1484769)
Posted by rubenorte on May 6th, 2013 @ 3:40am CDT
I always put my toys for resale when I feel like it. I'm worried Fix 2 could damage the toy. I don't have that tool as well.

Fix 1 looks dumb but it seems to work. If only the one who made the video didn't made his process seem complicated. A little brevity would be nice.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1484874)
Posted by RAcast on May 6th, 2013 @ 12:51pm CDT
omega666 wrote:

I think it's more of a design flaw than a QC issue. The part holding the shoulders is very thin and somewhat malleable, therefore it doesn't fit the peg hole it's supposed to go in well. At least that's what I get from watching reviews.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1484876)
Posted by Genocide G2.0 on May 6th, 2013 @ 1:24pm CDT
This type of mod isn't my cup of tea when it comes to hurting the figure i'm not gonna touch mine when i get it i'll find a good pose and on the shelf he goes.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1484942)
Posted by TimothyR on May 6th, 2013 @ 4:09pm CDT
Just watch peaughs review.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1485056)
Posted by Agamemnon on May 6th, 2013 @ 8:55pm CDT
omega666 wrote:

That's true, but Peaugh's solution is much simpler than the others. BTW, thanks, OmicronZero for pointing out his review. I wonder how he was able to peg the top thrusters (arms) in Jet mode. Perhaps he states towards the end of the video. I haven't watched all the way through.

I can't wait to get mine tomorrow and start fiddling with him.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1485065)
Posted by wewyllenium on May 6th, 2013 @ 9:42pm CDT
@Agamemnon: Peaugh's solution will be your 1st approach because that would be the only way to lock in the tabs for the shoulders if your copy does not have bloated molds. Apparently, you may have to trim the torso or add stuff to the shoulders so that they may lock if your copy tends not to work like Peaugh's. Good luck with your copy :D
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1485347)
Posted by spartanH85 on May 7th, 2013 @ 7:01pm CDT
Thank primus hasbro didnt screw up Springer. Im on my third Blitzwing. The first. Had two left fists, the second had two left rear tail fins...god knows whats going to be wrong with my next one. Hasbro really fubar-ed Blitzwing...and I highly doubt I got two needles in a haystack.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1485348)
Posted by spartanH85 on May 7th, 2013 @ 7:02pm CDT
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1485372)
Posted by wewyllenium on May 7th, 2013 @ 9:19pm CDT
@spartanH85: Such problems are unforgivable. These issues can be returned for an exchange where you bought the figure. TRU accommodates such returns. As long as its a production mishap.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1485388)
Posted by stevescustoms on May 7th, 2013 @ 10:10pm CDT
They're both good but I think the second one works better.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1485408)
Posted by Agamemnon on May 8th, 2013 @ 12:00am CDT
Okay, I got mine open, and I don't really buy the extra plastic in the torso pieces theory. I see something else.

First, the purple back plastic that holds the tank turret and the two arms is one of those softer varieties. As I opened Blitzwing, I noticed that they rubber banded the hell out of the chest area, which seems to have deflected that back plastic piece around the shoulder area. Sure enough, when I straighten out his arms over his head, it is very noticeable how much the plastic is deflected away from the torso.

Now, this doesn't mean that these fixes won't work. I'm trying a slightly different approach with a heat gun to see if I can bring the plastic back forward a little. I'll let you know if it works.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1485427)
Posted by spartanH85 on May 8th, 2013 @ 2:47am CDT
@wewyllenium: the first Blitzwing and Springer I purchased was on ebay. Sent Blitz back for a refund and then a couple days later found one at my local target. I thought my nightmare was over and boom..tail fin issue.3rd times the charm right?
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1485436)
Posted by wewyllenium on May 8th, 2013 @ 4:56am CDT
@spartanH85: Awww... That's a pity. I sure hope someone who actually works for Hasbro gets to read this thread. Play with it for a while then give it back to Target before a week passes by. Stuff like that is truly unacceptable and warrants a replacement.

Take it as it is which is poor QC from Hasbro or you should really get someone else to buy stuff for you. Maybe your luck with stuff like this really is low.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1485501)
Posted by spartanH85 on May 8th, 2013 @ 12:36pm CDT
@wewyllenium: generally I don't have too much bad luck with tfs. With Bliztwing this has been pretty rough, and taking second place was ordering a rotf leader starscream and getting a box full of bumblebees instead. It all worked out though.
Re: Shoulder Fixes for Transformers Generations Voyager Blitzwing (1486576)
Posted by Agamemnon on May 11th, 2013 @ 10:11pm CDT
Okay, I finally got a little free time and took a closer look. Unfortunately, I did not take any before pictures, so please take my word for this. Here is a close-up of the shoulder area, complete with a fancy MS Paint red line of how the plastic looked out of the package. You can see where the plastic should be sitting in relation to the back.

There should be virtually no gap between that plastic that holds the arms (and cannon) and the back of the figure. When I initially looked at him I would say there was a 2 or 3 mm gap.

I believe this warping of the plastic is because of the number of clear bands holding the figure together during shipping. I fixed this by using a heat gun and carefully pressing the plastic back into the correct shape. By doing this, when the shoulder is assembled, the front part seats correctly against the front of the figure.

My Blitzwing is now stable and I am happy (mostly because I didn't need to disassemble him or add material.)

You may be able to heat the plastic enough with a hair dryer, but it might take some more time. Overall time for me using a heat gun: ~15 minutes, plus letting the plastic cool before trying to transform him.

I hope this helps those not too keen on disassembly.

Have a fantastic weekend! Happy Mother's Day!!

Ending Soon On eBay

TRANSFORMERS Dark Of The Moon DOTM Cyberverse ARMORED WEAPONS OPTIMUS PRIME New! - Time Remaining: 1 day 20 hours 55 minutes 6 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Takara Tomy Henkei Classics United UN-23 RODIMUS PRIME Hot Rod RARE - Time Remaining: 1 day 13 hours 54 minutes 52 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Combiner Wars Generations Legends PIPES GROOVE POWERGLIDE Lot Of 5 - Time Remaining: 2 days 13 hours 25 minutes 4 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Generations ULTIMATE GIFTSET Jazz Thundercracker Prime New RARE! - Time Remaining: 1 day 14 hours 9 minutes 58 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Construct Bots OPTIMUS PRIME HOUND MEGATRON SOUNDWAVE Lot New! - Time Remaining: 2 days 6 hours 54 minutes 52 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Dark Of The Moon DOTM Movie Leader Class IRONHIDE Sealed New RARE! - Time Remaining: 1 day 22 hours 10 minutes 6 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Power Core Combiners HUFFER SEARCHLIGHT SMOLDER SLEDGE Lot MOSC New - Time Remaining: 1 day 18 hours 54 minutes 52 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Generations 2.0 Classic Universe RID Decepticon DIRGE Complete Exc - Time Remaining: 1 day 14 hours 24 minutes 52 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #156 - Gestalt Theory