Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art

Transformers News: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art

Wednesday, January 25th, 2012 3:28PM CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 38,691

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

CBR recently caught up with comic scribe Simon Furman to discuss his highly anticipated Transformers Regeneration One project, a continuation of Marvel's generation one comic series that ended with issue #80. IDW will be offering "Transformers" #80.5 on Free Comic Book Day May 5, 2012. Click here to read the full interview.


"But, as I mentioned, there are a lot of loose ends that never got picked up," Furman continued. "What happened to Megatron, Ratchet, Shockwave and Starscream after the Ark crash-landed on Earth? Was Galvatron destroyed? Did Grimlock ever restore his ability to transform, or is he still stuck in Action Master form? What about the original heads of the Headmasters, still on Nebulos? After the heat of battle abated, what was Optimus Prime's reaction to his wrenching 'back from the dead' moment? We're now aiming to answer all those questions and a whole lot more besides."


Image

The Marvel series began in G1 continuity, but over the course of 80 issues absorbed quite a lot of Transformers lines and evolved the characters in a particular way -- "End of the Road" featured a number of non-Cybertronian allies and villains, and introduced some not-insignificant changes to Optimus Prime himself. Asked whether, in reintroducing the series, he might need to temporarily narrow his focus for accessibility's sake or gradually revisit any essential information as needed, Furman said, "It's not in my nature to scale back or parcel out." "Issue #80.5 will serve both to recap a whole lot of past story (hopefully in a new and interesting/intriguing way) and set the new stuff in motion. But after that, it's full throttle into the new story, with shocks, revelations and action you won't believe," he said. "I intend to waste no time pulling all the big players centre stage, and kicking off the big arcs that will propel the book towards its conclusion in issue #100. There are three big, BIG storylines in issue #81 alone, all of which will re-shape the Regeneration One universe."

Image
Credit(s): CBR
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338202)
Posted by Starscream GaGa on January 25th, 2012 @ 4:01pm CST
The artwork is so, SO bad. God only knows how Andrew Wildman got a job in the first place.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338212)
Posted by CaSSeTteBOTs45 on January 25th, 2012 @ 4:26pm CST
Starscream GaGa wrote:The artwork is so, SO bad. God only knows how Andrew Wildman got a job in the first place.


That's how it should look. Have you read ANY of the G1 comics?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338213)
Posted by Heavy B on January 25th, 2012 @ 4:28pm CST
Starscream GaGa wrote:The artwork is so, SO bad. God only knows how Andrew Wildman got a job in the first place.

What are you taking about. Those promo images are amazing.

Also, I saw Jhiaxus, does that mean the G2 series will get a nod? Hope so. Generation 2 is my favorite comic series.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338226)
Posted by Giant Purple Griffin on January 25th, 2012 @ 5:05pm CST
If I'm not mistaken, the G2 comic was supposed to take place in continuity after the G1 comic. Does this new comic fit between G1 and G2 or does it give an alternate conclusion to G1 that is different from that in G2?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338229)
Posted by Chaoslock on January 25th, 2012 @ 5:10pm CST
Giant Purple Griffin wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the G2 comic was supposed to take place in continuity after the G1 comic. Does this new comic fit between G1 and G2 or does it give an alternate conclusion to G1 that is different from that in G2?


According to Furman, both is possible (even if I don't know how).
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338241)
Posted by mattwhite924 on January 25th, 2012 @ 5:31pm CST
Giant Purple Griffin wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the G2 comic was supposed to take place in continuity after the G1 comic. Does this new comic fit between G1 and G2 or does it give an alternate conclusion to G1 that is different from that in G2?


I'm pretty sure that G2 and a crossover with GI-JOE picked up right after G1 ended. I wouldn't mind getting a continuation of G2 though, as it did end on a cliffhanger.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338247)
Posted by Orionseid on January 25th, 2012 @ 6:09pm CST
I think Simon Furman said somewhere that this series takes place 20 years after G1, but that G2 still happened. We'll see.

Personally, I love the art. I'm going back to comics just cause of this series! :KREMZEEK:
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338255)
Posted by ausbot on January 25th, 2012 @ 6:29pm CST
I cannot wait for this series! Looks fantastic!
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338270)
Posted by AnnaChristine on January 25th, 2012 @ 7:10pm CST
Its nice they got Wildman back, but would anyone else like to see some returning artists?

Geoff Senior, which the more loose, flowing stuff he did for Generation2 and the TitanUK issues he graced his presence with would be nice, althout the clean, dynamic stuff he did on MarvelUK was spectacular.

I'd be interested to see if Derek Yaniger would be willing to have a go at a couple of issues, too. His gritty edge he gave the few issues of Generarion2 he did were the reason I bought the comic at all as a kid.

I'd put a shout for Dan Reed, but I know hes very unpopular with other fans. He did produce some lovely art (sometimes) and (I think) he does actual "art" now, so seeing how that interperets into Transformers would be fun :P
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338271)
Posted by Starscream GaGa on January 25th, 2012 @ 7:12pm CST
CaSSeTteBOTs45 wrote:
Starscream GaGa wrote:The artwork is so, SO bad. God only knows how Andrew Wildman got a job in the first place.


That's how it should look. Have you read ANY of the G1 comics?



Yes. I have. Andrew Wildman's drawings were terrible back then too. What's your point?

Marvel G1 never had GOOD art, but Wildman was definitely the worst.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338274)
Posted by helli0n on January 25th, 2012 @ 7:31pm CST
I love the preview art work... :KREMZEEK: Wildman and Furman...I am so there. =P~

I only hope I can talk someone in my family into picking the free comic book day issue, since I will be gone when it comes out, I will be set. :-?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338297)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on January 25th, 2012 @ 8:59pm CST
Starscream GaGa wrote:The artwork is so, SO bad. God only knows how Andrew Wildman got a job in the first place.


Um...because he was the artist during G1's final run, maybe? Because Furman wanted him on it, perhaps? Because they wanted to maintain some sort of artistic continuity, possibly?

Starscream GaGa wrote:Andrew Wildman's drawings were terrible back then too. What's your point?


The point is that this is how it was drawn back then.

Oh, and before anyone else makes any cracks about the art, I'll say this: if you were born after 2001, this comic run is probably not intended for you anyway, so don't whine if you don't like it.

Chaoslock wrote:According to Furman, both is possible (even if I don't know how).


Slots in between G1 #80 and G2 #1. Easy.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338339)
Posted by Starscream GaGa on January 25th, 2012 @ 10:47pm CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:Um...because he was the artist during G1's final run, maybe? Because Furman wanted him on it, perhaps? Because they wanted to maintain some sort of artistic continuity, possibly?


When I say first place, I mean FIRST place. Wildman's art was trash back then to. Nostalgia or not, I don't think anyone with eyes can say he's a good artist.

Darth Bombshell wrote:Oh, and before anyone else makes any cracks about the art, I'll say this: if you were born after 2001, this comic run is probably not intended for you anyway, so don't whine if you don't like it.


I don't think there will be many eleven year olds coming online to complain about a continuation of G1 Marvel, do you?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338340)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 25th, 2012 @ 10:50pm CST
If they make a TPB release of ReGeneration One, I hope they include #80.5 in it.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338343)
Posted by Bristleback on January 25th, 2012 @ 11:02pm CST
Wow they haven't even changed the random sizing of people in the background, that's one BIG Rumble. :D
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338344)
Posted by Clayface on January 25th, 2012 @ 11:02pm CST
Starscream GaGa wrote: Nostalgia or not, I don't think anyone with eyes can say he's a good artist.


I have eyes, and, yes, I would say he's a good artist. In fact, I'd say he's a great artist. Probably in my top 3 of all TF artists.

What are your specific complaints about his art? And who in your opinion is a good artist, so I have some frame of reference or insight into your thinking?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338357)
Posted by AnnaChristine on January 26th, 2012 @ 12:28am CST
Marvel G1 had nothing but bad art?

Geoff Senior
Image
Image

I'll go on record and say that few comic book artists, never mind just Transformers ones, display the dynamism and skill with layouts that Senior shows.

Andrew Wildman
Image

Maybe not his best work, and I'll admit sometimes, Wildman had his iffy moments, but one the he does brilliantly is detail work - not the "robot made of a million panels with cracks in it" kind of detail, but really cool little things like cogs, levers, wires and stuff in the background.

John Ridgway
Image

Theres nothing I can say about this pic. Its a classic. Yes, he just drew the toys with better proportions, but it really does make Jazz, Mirage and Hound look very alien and very threatening.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338358)
Posted by T-Macksimus on January 26th, 2012 @ 12:33am CST
Clayface wrote:
Starscream GaGa wrote: Nostalgia or not, I don't think anyone with eyes can say he's a good artist.


I have eyes, and, yes, I would say he's a good artist. In fact, I'd say he's a great artist. Probably in my top 3 of all TF artists.

What are your specific complaints about his art? And who in your opinion is a good artist, so I have some frame of reference or insight into your thinking?



Waste of time. Art is a subjective thing. Each individual is going to get something completely different out of what he/she experiences based on their own personal tastes. However, for one person to say that something is straight up crap is a total load of BS. Just because you don't like it and believe me that is entirely within your right, doesn't mean that the artist sucks. It just means that it isn't something that you would prefer to see. Fine. At least show some respect for what is being attempted and step back and see the big picture, which in this case means stepping back and looking at close to 30 years of TF comic history and all the changes in comic book artistry and production that have happened along the way and then try to show an ounce of respect for said history.
(thus ends my b**ch session)

As one who grew up with (and still has possession of) the original 1984 comic series I'm excited to have this continuation come out. I collected all of the G2 comics, not that that was much of a stretch, and I have to say that I didn't much care for that arc and never considered it a continuation of the original. For me it won't matter where issue 80.5 is "supposed" to slip in. I'll just put it right in back of issue 80 where it belongs and G2 will have it own separate box to reside in. The fact that the artwork is going to stay on par with where they left off, if not backtrack a bit even which is fine by me, just adds a whole other level of coolness to this belated continuation. I'm probably not the only old-schooler who would have to chime in with the same sentiment as Megatron from the '86 movie..."I would have waited an eternity for this..."
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338364)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on January 26th, 2012 @ 1:29am CST
T-Macksimus wrote:Waste of time. Art is a subjective thing. Each individual is going to get something completely different out of what he/she experiences based on their own personal tastes. However, for one person to say that something is straight up crap is a total load of BS. Just because you don't like it and believe me that is entirely within your right, doesn't mean that the artist sucks. It just means that it isn't something that you would prefer to see. Fine. At least show some respect for what is being attempted and step back and see the big picture, which in this case means stepping back and looking at close to 30 years of TF comic history and all the changes in comic book artistry and production that have happened along the way and then try to show an ounce of respect for said history.


QFT.

As one who grew up with (and still has possession of) the original 1984 comic series I'm excited to have this continuation come out. I collected all of the G2 comics, not that that was much of a stretch, and I have to say that I didn't much care for that arc and never considered it a continuation of the original. For me it won't matter where issue 80.5 is "supposed" to slip in. I'll just put it right in back of issue 80 where it belongs and G2 will have it own separate box to reside in. The fact that the artwork is going to stay on par with where they left off, if not backtrack a bit even which is fine by me, just adds a whole other level of coolness to this belated continuation. I'm probably not the only old-schooler who would have to chime in with the same sentiment as Megatron from the '86 movie..."I would have waited an eternity for this..."


I also grew up with the originals, however I do count G2 as the continuation of G1. I am looking forward to this very much, and hopefully the TPB will be coming out once the run ends or enough issues are printed. I would like to own this in TPB as I do the rest of the comics.

As for the art, I am not sure if Wildman has done anything for IDW recently, as most IDW art looks horrible to me (you might enjoy it and that's fine) but the preview art shown here actually looks good. I'm optimistic about this and looking forward to it.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338373)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on January 26th, 2012 @ 3:43am CST
AnnaChristine wrote:I'd put a shout for Dan Reed, but I know hes very unpopular with other fans. He did produce some lovely art (sometimes) and (I think) he does actual "art" now, so seeing how that interperets into Transformers would be fun :P


Nooo, transformers with fangs who resemble melted waxworks keep me awake at night. Please no Dan Reed. I used to have similar opinions on Andy Wildman, but over the years I have learned to appreciate his style more. As another poster said, his attention to datail is great. I'm excited about this series, but I'm guessing that the UK will not get a free comic book day, so I'll probably have to pick this up on eBay for a stupid price :(
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338382)
Posted by michael alex kawa on January 26th, 2012 @ 5:25am CST
There is so many problems and holes in what Simon Furman has said i don't know where to begin :BANG_HEAD: .As anyone who knows me i hate the 21 years in the future already ,and Optimus having his (very familiar ) G1 body ,not his "Action Master " ( in appearance ) body he had in issue #80 .If Prime and Megatron has any type of confrontation ,then there is NO POSSIBLE (No matter your opinions on when the two series took place ) WAY TO CONNECT RG1 to G2 ,don't believe me ,then read G2 (not scan READ ) and tell me this is not one big hole .Now about the art ,i am a big fan BIG FAN of Wildman/Baskerville ,but the art so far looks like some amateur copied there style ,there is none of that detail i came to love from the team .I guess Rumble :CON: (Frenzy ? :CON:) decided to grow in the 21 years .Andrew claimed on his blog that IDW sent him some "More Then Meets the Eye" -Profile books from Dreamwave to give him some reference material ,and it shows .I don't know what he used back in the day (i tried to ask on his blog but you know artist) ,but i wish he would go back to his old ways .I feel he has become very lazy ,his other works coming out this year like "Horizon" look awesome ,but i feel his heart is not in to RG1 .I really hate to say this but maybe we (fans that signed the petition ,like me ) should of just let it be ,cause signing it was a big mistake .That Rumble :CON: (Frenzy :CON: ) is really bugging me ,so is the whole Headmaster thing ,i kind of see what he is getting at (IE - What about the original heads of the Headmasters, still on Nebulos? ) ,yes unanswered ,but yes resolved by The UK Annual from 1988 , -From the TFwiki -"Although it is explained that the Nebulans turn into heads that only resemble the original heads of the Headmaster Autobots, and that the original heads maintain radio contact with their Nebulan partners, the original miniseries never mentions what becomes of the original heads. However, "The Final Conflict" in the 1988 UK annual showed that Fortress Maximus, at least, stored his original head in a chest compartment" -http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Broken_Glass%21 ,plus does anyone care ,and does Fort Max still have his head while Spike (not Galen) is in control .Which brings up one more issue ,i believe that humans will age in the book by what Simon says ,and the character Circuit Smasher (look at one of the pics from the article ) seems to be Circuit Breakers son (does Marvel know ) or did she get a sex change ??? sneaky way to use an other company's character .Well so much for my rant ,i know a lot of people ( included me ) that could of done the continuation better ,we may have the skill ,but we don't have the name SIMON FURMAN .
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338387)
Posted by Mindmaster on January 26th, 2012 @ 6:14am CST
It's like Halo: Anniversary all over again! =P~
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338390)
Posted by quickmixed on January 26th, 2012 @ 6:39am CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:As for the art, I am not sure if Wildman has done anything for IDW recently, as most IDW art looks horrible to me (you might enjoy it and that's fine) but the preview art shown here actually looks good. I'm optimistic about this and looking forward to it.


I'm looking forward to this also. Wildmans last work with idw was the b covers for the first six issues of ongoing two years ago.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338397)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on January 26th, 2012 @ 7:33am CST
Sabrblade wrote:If they make a TPB release of ReGeneration One, I hope they include #80.5 in it.


I don't see why not.

Starscream GaGa wrote:I don't think anyone with eyes can say he's a good artist.


:BANG_HEAD:

I get the feeling you're comparing his art style to the style of the artists of today. And I ask you...why? Of course he isn't going to look good if you compare his work to the artists of today.

Starscream GaGa wrote:I don't think there will be many eleven year olds coming online to complain about a continuation of G1 Marvel, do you?


No, because, as I said, this comic series isn't going to appeal to them, because it's target audience are people who read the Marvel comic in the late eighties/early ninties and have fond memories of it.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338410)
Posted by Marcdachamp on January 26th, 2012 @ 8:34am CST
Starscream GaGa wrote:When I say first place, I mean FIRST place. Wildman's art was trash back then to. Nostalgia or not, I don't think anyone with eyes can say he's a good artist.


I must be blind then, because my two framed pieces of original Wildman art look pretty gorgeous to me.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338427)
Posted by Clayface on January 26th, 2012 @ 9:13am CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:I get the feeling you're comparing his art style to the style of the artists of today. And I ask you...why? Of course he isn't going to look good if you compare his work to the artists of today.


Yeah, it doesn't look good compared to the artists of today, it looks better. I'm sorry, but Wildman's designs and level of detail blows away a lot of what we've gotten from the ongoing for the past couple year (blank backgrounds, hideous robot designs, etc).
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338523)
Posted by Windsweeper on January 26th, 2012 @ 1:08pm CST
I can't wait for this. I grew up on Marvel Uk but I do have reservations about Wildman's art, especially since we've been spoiled over the years by the likes of Figuera (I know, i can't remember how his name is spelt), Milne, Raiz and Roche. However, I can understand the nostalgia, I'm getting it just looking at the sample art.

As for who cares about the Headmasters? Scorponok was one of my favourite characters so if there's a sensible way to bring him back, then I'm all for it. Highbrow and Hardhead too. Hosehead would intrigue me because he never had his Headmaster origin shown.

I hope it never ends, I truely do.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338526)
Posted by Windsweeper on January 26th, 2012 @ 1:10pm CST
Slag it, double post.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338559)
Posted by Mat001 on January 26th, 2012 @ 1:53pm CST
michael alex kawa wrote:There is so many problems and holes in what Simon Furman has said i don't know where to begin :BANG_HEAD: .As anyone who knows me i hate the 21 years in the future already ,and Optimus having his (very familiar ) G1 body ,not his "Action Master " ( in appearance ) body he had in issue #80 .


The twenty one years allows for Generation 2 and for Optimus to be back to his old self. We know that if the original series had continued, the Action Master process would've been reversed to allow for the Generation 2 designs.

If Prime and Megatron has any type of confrontation ,then there is NO POSSIBLE (No matter your opinions on when the two series took place ) WAY TO CONNECT RG1 to G2 ,don't believe me ,then read G2 (not scan READ ) and tell me this is not one big hole .


You'll have to wait and see how Furman addresses it.

Now about the art ,i am a big fan BIG FAN of Wildman/Baskerville ,but the art so far looks like some amateur copied there style ,there is none of that detail i came to love from the team .I guess Rumble :CON: (Frenzy ? :CON:) decided to grow in the 21 years .Andrew claimed on his blog that IDW sent him some "More Then Meets the Eye" -Profile books from Dreamwave to give him some reference material ,and it shows .I don't know what he used back in the day (i tried to ask on his blog but you know artist) ,but i wish he would go back to his old ways .I feel he has become very lazy ,his other works coming out this year like "Horizon" look awesome ,but i feel his heart is not in to RG1 .


Doesn't read that way in his interviews.

I really hate to say this but maybe we (fans that signed the petition ,like me ) should of just let it be ,cause signing it was a big mistake .That Rumble :CON: (Frenzy :CON: ) is really bugging me ,so is the whole Headmaster thing ,i kind of see what he is getting at (IE - What about the original heads of the Headmasters, still on Nebulos? ) ,yes unanswered ,but yes resolved by The UK Annual from 1988 , -From the TFwiki -"Although it is explained that the Nebulans turn into heads that only resemble the original heads of the Headmaster Autobots, and that the original heads maintain radio contact with their Nebulan partners, the original miniseries never mentions what becomes of the original heads. However, "The Final Conflict" in the 1988 UK annual showed that Fortress Maximus, at least, stored his original head in a chest compartment" -http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Broken_Glass%21 ,plus does anyone care ,and does Fort Max still have his head while Spike (not Galen) is in control .Which brings up one more issue ,i believe that humans will age in the book by what Simon says ,and the character Circuit Smasher (look at one of the pics from the article ) seems to be Circuit Breakers son (does Marvel know ) or did she get a sex change ??? sneaky way to use an other company's character .Well so much for my rant ,i know a lot of people ( included me ) that could of done the continuation better ,we may have the skill ,but we don't have the name SIMON FURMAN .


Here's an idea, don't buy the book.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338608)
Posted by Marcdachamp on January 26th, 2012 @ 2:55pm CST
michael alex kawa wrote:There is so many problems and holes in what Simon Furman has said i don't know where to begin :BANG_HEAD: .As anyone who knows me i hate the 21 years in the future already ,and Optimus having his (very familiar ) G1 body ,not his "Action Master " ( in appearance ) body he had in issue #80 .If Prime and Megatron has any type of confrontation ,then there is NO POSSIBLE (No matter your opinions on when the two series took place ) WAY TO CONNECT RG1 to G2 ,don't believe me ,then read G2 (not scan READ ) and tell me this is not one big hole .Now about the art ,i am a big fan BIG FAN of Wildman/Baskerville ,but the art so far looks like some amateur copied there style ,there is none of that detail i came to love from the team .I guess Rumble :CON: (Frenzy ? :CON:) decided to grow in the 21 years .Andrew claimed on his blog that IDW sent him some "More Then Meets the Eye" -Profile books from Dreamwave to give him some reference material ,and it shows .I don't know what he used back in the day (i tried to ask on his blog but you know artist) ,but i wish he would go back to his old ways .I feel he has become very lazy ,his other works coming out this year like "Horizon" look awesome ,but i feel his heart is not in to RG1 .I really hate to say this but maybe we (fans that signed the petition ,like me ) should of just let it be ,cause signing it was a big mistake .That Rumble :CON: (Frenzy :CON: ) is really bugging me ,so is the whole Headmaster thing ,i kind of see what he is getting at (IE - What about the original heads of the Headmasters, still on Nebulos? ) ,yes unanswered ,but yes resolved by The UK Annual from 1988 , -From the TFwiki -"Although it is explained that the Nebulans turn into heads that only resemble the original heads of the Headmaster Autobots, and that the original heads maintain radio contact with their Nebulan partners, the original miniseries never mentions what becomes of the original heads. However, "The Final Conflict" in the 1988 UK annual showed that Fortress Maximus, at least, stored his original head in a chest compartment" -http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Broken_Glass%21 ,plus does anyone care ,and does Fort Max still have his head while Spike (not Galen) is in control .Which brings up one more issue ,i believe that humans will age in the book by what Simon says ,and the character Circuit Smasher (look at one of the pics from the article ) seems to be Circuit Breakers son (does Marvel know ) or did she get a sex change ??? sneaky way to use an other company's character .Well so much for my rant ,i know a lot of people ( included me ) that could of done the continuation better ,we may have the skill ,but we don't have the name SIMON FURMAN .


Well, I don't work for IDW, but let's say we have two people looking for a job writing this comic. We'll call them Person A and Person B. Person A is the original series writer. Additionally, Person A has a lot of experience writing for the brand, and has a history with the company.

Now, let's take a look at Person B. Person B has never worked for IDW, never had any published Transformers work, and displays a tenuous grasp on the use of grammar.

Who would you hire?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338697)
Posted by Mat001 on January 26th, 2012 @ 5:20pm CST
That and the fact is that Furman and Budinsky (sp) were the two main writers for the Marvel series. The latter has no desire to continue, while the former does. And since the whole point of "Regeneration One" is to finish the storyline of that continiuity, who better than the guy who was writing the book?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1339947)
Posted by wordmongerer on January 29th, 2012 @ 5:15pm CST
michael alex kawa wrote:If Prime and Megatron has any type of confrontation ,then there is NO POSSIBLE (No matter your opinions on when the two series took place ) WAY TO CONNECT RG1 to G2 ,don't believe me ,then read G2 (not scan READ ) and tell me this is not one big hole.


Furman has stated in many places that this is a continuation of G1 and so the events of G2 did not take place in this continuation (or perhaps not yet), however that does not mean that the themes and characters of G2 can't be used, and obviously Jhiaxus is shown in the preview as well as the TF's emerging from Cybertron, so that's already 2 G2 nods. I love G2 and I can understand that the decision to bypass G2 will disappoint some but the petition was for G1 issue 81 not G2 issue 13. Plugging the gaps between the two wouldn't make very interesting reading either as the conclusions would all be forgone. Also G2 was far less widely read than G1, the toys less widely available. The G2 story will always be on my bookshelf and I'll always be able to enjoy it though.

Andrew claimed on his blog that IDW sent him some "More Then Meets the Eye" -Profile books from Dreamwave to give him some reference material ,and it shows .


Actually you can see on his blog that his drawing table is covered in the original trade paperbacks and the original Transformers Universe guide. This is very clear in the flashback's shown, even down to things like Prime's head attached to a machine that looks identical to the one Shockwave used in the first few issues. But any characters appearing in present day can look however they need to be interpreted and that will include characters that never appeared in the original comics or G2 so the MTMTE guides would be the only comic book style source material available.

i kind of see what he is getting at (IE - What about the original heads of the Headmasters, still on Nebulos? ) ,yes unanswered ,but yes resolved by The UK Annual from 1988 , -From the TFwiki -"Although it is explained that the Nebulans turn into heads that only resemble the original heads of the Headmaster Autobots, and that the original heads maintain radio contact with their Nebulan partners, the original miniseries never mentions what becomes of the original heads. However, "The Final Conflict" in the 1988 UK annual showed that Fortress Maximus, at least, stored his original head in a chest compartment"


The UK comics while they tried for some time to sync with the UK comic had huge chunks of stuff that didn't agree with the US comic. As this is directly following the US run, if it wasn't established there the same pick and choose from UK G1 continuity would apply. I just went through the 1988 UK annual and I can't see the reference to the original heads. Also after a few years of connection, why would it be assumed that they could easily go back? Prime's powermaster process ended up having a merging effect and unexpected consequences after a few short years after all.

According to the third issue of All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z's entries on Death's Head, the events of the Marvel UK Generation 1 comics take place on Marvel Earth-120185. The universe is named after the publication date of the first Marvel UK-exclusive story, "Man of Iron". According to the Marvel Universe Appendix, the events of the Marvel US comics take place on Marvel Earth-91274. So even Marvel consider these 2 strands as not being dependant on one another.


the character Circuit Smasher (look at one of the pics from the article ) seems to be Circuit Breakers son


He isn't. It wouldn't make any sense for a child to inherit technology that she herself wasn't born with. They aren't the same character either.

Before judging who could have written this better I think its fair to say that you'd actually need to have read the comic. Having read some, I don't think anyone could have written this better
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1340089)
Posted by michael alex kawa on January 30th, 2012 @ 2:34am CST
Great points from all (especially on my bad grammar :P ) .But i still feel that the art looks rushed and not up to Wildman standards ,he is my favorite Transformers artist (if you don't count comics from Japan ;) ) ,and i am just not feeling it .I should wait till i read the whole run ,and by the way ,i am not going to buy the first issue ,since it is .....FREE :lol: :lol: :)) :DANCE:
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1340282)
Posted by F Prime on January 30th, 2012 @ 3:55pm CST
wordmongerer wrote:
michael alex kawa wrote:If Prime and Megatron has any type of confrontation ,then there is NO POSSIBLE (No matter your opinions on when the two series took place ) WAY TO CONNECT RG1 to G2 ,don't believe me ,then read G2 (not scan READ ) and tell me this is not one big hole.


Furman has stated in many places that this is a continuation of G1 and so the events of G2 did not take place in this continuation (or perhaps not yet), however that does not mean that the themes and characters of G2 can't be used, and obviously Jhiaxus is shown in the preview as well as the TF's emerging from Cybertron, so that's already 2 G2 nods. I love G2 and I can understand that the decision to bypass G2 will disappoint some but the petition was for G1 issue 81 not G2 issue 13. Plugging the gaps between the two wouldn't make very interesting reading either as the conclusions would all be forgone. Also G2 was far less widely read than G1, the toys less widely available. The G2 story will always be on my bookshelf and I'll always be able to enjoy it though.


Well said.

wordmongerer wrote:It wouldn't make any sense for a child to inherit technology that she herself wasn't born with. They aren't the same character either.


Do we know anything about this character other than the name? I wouldn't assume it's her son, but I wouldn't count it out, either. Couldn't Josie make a suit for her son (or anyone she wants...at least, I don't think you *had* to be paraplegic to use it.)
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014