Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art

Transformers News: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art

Wednesday, January 25th, 2012 3:28PM CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 43,683

CBR recently caught up with comic scribe Simon Furman to discuss his highly anticipated Transformers Regeneration One project, a continuation of Marvel's generation one comic series that ended with issue #80. IDW will be offering "Transformers" #80.5 on Free Comic Book Day May 5, 2012. Click here to read the full interview.

"But, as I mentioned, there are a lot of loose ends that never got picked up," Furman continued. "What happened to Megatron, Ratchet, Shockwave and Starscream after the Ark crash-landed on Earth? Was Galvatron destroyed? Did Grimlock ever restore his ability to transform, or is he still stuck in Action Master form? What about the original heads of the Headmasters, still on Nebulos? After the heat of battle abated, what was Optimus Prime's reaction to his wrenching 'back from the dead' moment? We're now aiming to answer all those questions and a whole lot more besides."

The Marvel series began in G1 continuity, but over the course of 80 issues absorbed quite a lot of Transformers lines and evolved the characters in a particular way -- "End of the Road" featured a number of non-Cybertronian allies and villains, and introduced some not-insignificant changes to Optimus Prime himself. Asked whether, in reintroducing the series, he might need to temporarily narrow his focus for accessibility's sake or gradually revisit any essential information as needed, Furman said, "It's not in my nature to scale back or parcel out." "Issue #80.5 will serve both to recap a whole lot of past story (hopefully in a new and interesting/intriguing way) and set the new stuff in motion. But after that, it's full throttle into the new story, with shocks, revelations and action you won't believe," he said. "I intend to waste no time pulling all the big players centre stage, and kicking off the big arcs that will propel the book towards its conclusion in issue #100. There are three big, BIG storylines in issue #81 alone, all of which will re-shape the Regeneration One universe."

Credit(s): CBR

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338202)
Posted by Starscream GaGa on January 25th, 2012 @ 4:01pm CST
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338212)
Posted by CaSSeTteBOTs45 on January 25th, 2012 @ 4:26pm CST
Starscream GaGa wrote:The artwork is so, SO bad. God only knows how Andrew Wildman got a job in the first place.

That's how it should look. Have you read ANY of the G1 comics?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338213)
Posted by Heavy B on January 25th, 2012 @ 4:28pm CST

What are you taking about. Those promo images are amazing.

Also, I saw Jhiaxus, does that mean the G2 series will get a nod? Hope so. Generation 2 is my favorite comic series.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338226)
Posted by Giant Purple Griffin on January 25th, 2012 @ 5:05pm CST
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338229)
Posted by Chaoslock on January 25th, 2012 @ 5:10pm CST
Giant Purple Griffin wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the G2 comic was supposed to take place in continuity after the G1 comic. Does this new comic fit between G1 and G2 or does it give an alternate conclusion to G1 that is different from that in G2?

According to Furman, both is possible (even if I don't know how).
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338241)
Posted by mattwhite924 on January 25th, 2012 @ 5:31pm CST

I'm pretty sure that G2 and a crossover with GI-JOE picked up right after G1 ended. I wouldn't mind getting a continuation of G2 though, as it did end on a cliffhanger.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338247)
Posted by Orionseid on January 25th, 2012 @ 6:09pm CST
I think Simon Furman said somewhere that this series takes place 20 years after G1, but that G2 still happened. We'll see.

Personally, I love the art. I'm going back to comics just cause of this series! :KREMZEEK:
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338255)
Posted by ausbot on January 25th, 2012 @ 6:29pm CST
I cannot wait for this series! Looks fantastic!
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338270)
Posted by AnnaChristine on January 25th, 2012 @ 7:10pm CST
Its nice they got Wildman back, but would anyone else like to see some returning artists?

Geoff Senior, which the more loose, flowing stuff he did for Generation2 and the TitanUK issues he graced his presence with would be nice, althout the clean, dynamic stuff he did on MarvelUK was spectacular.

I'd be interested to see if Derek Yaniger would be willing to have a go at a couple of issues, too. His gritty edge he gave the few issues of Generarion2 he did were the reason I bought the comic at all as a kid.

I'd put a shout for Dan Reed, but I know hes very unpopular with other fans. He did produce some lovely art (sometimes) and (I think) he does actual "art" now, so seeing how that interperets into Transformers would be fun :P
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338271)
Posted by Starscream GaGa on January 25th, 2012 @ 7:12pm CST
CaSSeTteBOTs45 wrote:

That's how it should look. Have you read ANY of the G1 comics?

Yes. I have. Andrew Wildman's drawings were terrible back then too. What's your point?

Marvel G1 never had GOOD art, but Wildman was definitely the worst.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338274)
Posted by helli0n on January 25th, 2012 @ 7:31pm CST
I love the preview art work... :KREMZEEK: Wildman and Furman...I am so there. =P~

I only hope I can talk someone in my family into picking the free comic book day issue, since I will be gone when it comes out, I will be set. :-?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338297)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on January 25th, 2012 @ 8:59pm CST

Starscream GaGa wrote:Andrew Wildman's drawings were terrible back then too. What's your point?

The point is that this is how it was drawn back then.

Chaoslock wrote:According to Furman, both is possible (even if I don't know how).

Slots in between G1 #80 and G2 #1. Easy.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338339)
Posted by Starscream GaGa on January 25th, 2012 @ 10:47pm CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:Um...because he was the artist during G1's final run, maybe? Because Furman wanted him on it, perhaps? Because they wanted to maintain some sort of artistic continuity, possibly?

When I say first place, I mean FIRST place. Wildman's art was trash back then to. Nostalgia or not, I don't think anyone with eyes can say he's a good artist.

Darth Bombshell wrote:Oh, and before anyone else makes any cracks about the art, I'll say this: if you were born after 2001, this comic run is probably not intended for you anyway, so don't whine if you don't like it.

I don't think there will be many eleven year olds coming online to complain about a continuation of G1 Marvel, do you?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338340)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 25th, 2012 @ 10:50pm CST
If they make a TPB release of ReGeneration One, I hope they include #80.5 in it.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338343)
Posted by Bristleback on January 25th, 2012 @ 11:02pm CST
Wow they haven't even changed the random sizing of people in the background, that's one BIG Rumble. :D
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338344)
Posted by Clayface on January 25th, 2012 @ 11:02pm CST
Starscream GaGa wrote: Nostalgia or not, I don't think anyone with eyes can say he's a good artist.

I have eyes, and, yes, I would say he's a good artist. In fact, I'd say he's a great artist. Probably in my top 3 of all TF artists.

What are your specific complaints about his art? And who in your opinion is a good artist, so I have some frame of reference or insight into your thinking?
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338357)
Posted by AnnaChristine on January 26th, 2012 @ 12:28am CST
Marvel G1 had nothing but bad art?

Geoff Senior

I'll go on record and say that few comic book artists, never mind just Transformers ones, display the dynamism and skill with layouts that Senior shows.

Andrew Wildman

Maybe not his best work, and I'll admit sometimes, Wildman had his iffy moments, but one the he does brilliantly is detail work - not the "robot made of a million panels with cracks in it" kind of detail, but really cool little things like cogs, levers, wires and stuff in the background.

John Ridgway

Theres nothing I can say about this pic. Its a classic. Yes, he just drew the toys with better proportions, but it really does make Jazz, Mirage and Hound look very alien and very threatening.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338358)
Posted by T-Macksimus on January 26th, 2012 @ 12:33am CST
Clayface wrote:

(thus ends my b**ch session)

Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338364)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on January 26th, 2012 @ 1:29am CST
T-Macksimus wrote:Waste of time. Art is a subjective thing. Each individual is going to get something completely different out of what he/she experiences based on their own personal tastes. However, for one person to say that something is straight up crap is a total load of BS. Just because you don't like it and believe me that is entirely within your right, doesn't mean that the artist sucks. It just means that it isn't something that you would prefer to see. Fine. At least show some respect for what is being attempted and step back and see the big picture, which in this case means stepping back and looking at close to 30 years of TF comic history and all the changes in comic book artistry and production that have happened along the way and then try to show an ounce of respect for said history.

QFT.

[quote]As one who grew up with (and still has possession of) the original 1984 comic series I'm excited to have this continuation come out. I collected all of the G2 comics, not that that was much of a stretch, and I have to say that I didn't much care for that arc and never considered it a continuation of the original. For me it won't matter where issue 80.5 is "supposed" to slip in. I'll just put it right in back of issue 80 where it belongs and G2 will have it own separate box to reside in. The fact that the artwork is going to stay on par with where they left off, if not backtrack a bit even which is fine by me, just adds a whole other level of coolness to this belated continuation. I'm probably not the only old-schooler who would have to chime in with the same sentiment as Megatron from the '86 movie..."I would have waited an eternity for this..."[/quote]

I also grew up with the originals, however I do count G2 as the continuation of G1. I am looking forward to this very much, and hopefully the TPB will be coming out once the run ends or enough issues are printed. I would like to own this in TPB as I do the rest of the comics.

As for the art, I am not sure if Wildman has done anything for IDW recently, as most IDW art looks horrible to me (you might enjoy it and that's fine) but the preview art shown here actually looks good. I'm optimistic about this and looking forward to it.
Re: Simon Furman Talks Transformers Regeneration One, New 80.5 Preview Art (1338373)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on January 26th, 2012 @ 3:43am CST
AnnaChristine wrote:

Nooo, transformers with fangs who resemble melted waxworks keep me awake at night. Please no Dan Reed. I used to have similar opinions on Andy Wildman, but over the years I have learned to appreciate his style more. As another poster said, his attention to datail is great. I'm excited about this series, but I'm guessing that the UK will not get a free comic book day, so I'll probably have to pick this up on eBay for a stupid price :(

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers BEAST WARS FUZORS QUICKSTRIKE MINT 100% COMP. 1998 - Time Remaining: 8 days 23 hours 31 minutes 13 seconds
Hasbro 2007 Transformers Robot Heroes Optimus Prime & Blackout New - Time Remaining: 2 days 8 hours 17 minutes 17 seconds
Transformers G1 Hasbro 1984 GOLD KNOBS version PERCEPTOR Action Figure Complete - Time Remaining: 2 days 20 hours 17 minutes 13 seconds
Vintage Hasbro Transformers Constructicon G1 Scrapper MOSC!  Original! - Time Remaining: 2 days 21 hours 8 minutes 3 seconds
TRANSFORMERS MOVIE 1 TRU Exclusive BATTLE DAMAGE ARCEE Female Bike 2007 MOSC - Time Remaining: 2 days 8 hours 23 minutes 28 seconds
Transformers BEAST WARS TRANSMETAL AIRAZOR EXCELLENT 100% COMP. 1998 - Time Remaining: 1 day 20 hours 53 minutes 57 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Masterpiece Grimlock Toys R Us last one MP-08 MP-8 NIP 2009 - Time Remaining: 2 days 9 hours 25 minutes 19 seconds
Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Wave 2 ASTRO TRAIN Darkmoon - Time Remaining: 17 days 14 hours 25 minutes 29 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #156 - Gestalt Theory