Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.'

Transformers News: Site Article of Interest:  'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.'

Wednesday, March 30th, 2011 11:15AM CDT

Category: Site Articles
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 47,819

Seibertron.com independent researcher and all around smartbot, Sabrblade, has done the Transformers community a real favor in trying to understand exactly where the TRANSFORMERS: EXODUS book written by Alex Irvine fits into the scheme of the Transformers universe.

Sabrblade uses his skills, research, and color coordination to help us all to make sense of the similarities of certain events and characters in the Transformers universes, and where things such EXODUS, and THE WAR FOR CYBERTRON game do not match up, even though EXODUS was originally billed as a prequel for the WFC game, and then an official history for the Transformers universe.

Why the labor of love for Sabrblade which took months to decipher?

"Ever since I first heard about the War for Cybertron video game, I had had a strong curiosity about what sort of story it would tell. All I knew at the time was… that it was set before the war escalated to Earth. Granted, this was long before we knew about the Transformers: Prime cartoon or anything of the Aligned Continuity. Ergo, I had an urge to find any clue as to what sort of story this game would tell and where it go from there.

Then, some point prior to BotCon 2010, more info about the game kept coming out. Any suspicions I had about it being a prequel to some Generation 1 fiction (as was originally believed by many) began to somewhat flicker, as word about this game being some sort of foundation for a new “mega-continuity” became known. But, I still wasn’t certain of what that meant.

By the time of BotCon 2010, I had then come to the awareness of a certain novel titled “Transformers: Exodus – The Official History of the War for Cybertron”. Hearing such a title led me to assume that it was merely the War for Cybertron game in a novelized form. An assumption that I would later find out to be a severe fallacy on my part.

After having this book recommended to me at BotCon, I picked up a copy of my own at a later point, but only began to read it once I found the time. Prior to reading it, however, was when I had discovered that my previously-made assumption about the book was incorrect. I began to read some opinions about this book and many other people agreed that it was drastically different from the game it was based on. This notion intrigued me greatly.

After having finally taken the time to read this book and then experience the WFC console game, I developed an urge to decipher this book’s continuity, picking out what all made this book’s story different from that of its game counterpart. However, as the months went on (that’s right, this project has taken me several months to complete) this task soon became much more than that.

What started out as compare/constrast deal between the Exodus novel and the WFC console game grew to incorporate aspects from other TF franchises as well. Now, I’ve gone and compared/contrasted key elements from Exodus with those in WFC, the G1 cartoon, the two Beast Era cartoons, the three Unicron Trilogy cartoons, the live action movie fiction, and the Animated fiction.

And thus, I give you “Exodus Vs.”"

Read about Sabrblade's findings in the user friendly thread here.

Prepare to have gained mass quantities of information when you are done.
Credit(s): Sabrblade
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202553)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on March 30th, 2011 @ 11:56am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:A few minor nits here and there with my own interpretations of some of the canon-but still damned impressive. :APPLAUSE:
While doing this, I was mostly trying to ignore as many personal views and opinions of the canon and present everything as it's told at face value.

It's two things.

1. Hound doesn't know about energon cubes... just Hound. It's also the wording he uses. 'Some kind of cube'. It doesn;t suggest to me that the other Autobots don't know or don't use cubes themselves. As for the recharing chamber, it's simply more convenient for them it seems.

Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202587)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 30th, 2011 @ 1:15pm CDT
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
The "Traitor" episode implies that the Autobots don't use Energon Cubes. When Cliffjumper tells Prime and Ratchet that he saw Mirage carrying two Energon Cubes, Ratchet is completely baffled at where and how Mirage could have gotten Energon Cubes from. If the Autobots used them, it would have been simple to assume that Mirage got them from the Autobots' own supply, yet Ratchet is confused as to how Mirage could have acquired Energon Cubes at all. Not simply the fact that he has them, but that he was able to get them from somewhere period.

And why can't the Recharging Chambers be the Autobots' energy recharging source?

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Add the visual evidence in War Dawn and energon cubes aren't an exclusively-Decepticon technology.
The dialogue in that episode never once used the word "energon" to refer to that stack of energy. Only the word "energy" was used.

Plus, this isn't the only time that the animators used the look of Energon Cubes for something that wasn't Energon. The Combaticons' Personality Components, for example, were drawn as Energon Cubes when the script for "Starscream's Brigade" called for a different design for them (glowing green cubes with words of warning written on them, and then later colored ebony). Not to mention that, despite looking exactly like Energon Cubes in the episode "Starscream's Brigade", the "B.O.T." episode drew them looking significantly more detailed and gadget-like.

Plus, the opening narration of the first episode says that the planet had been drained of its "once rich resources of energy", not specifically energon. And the glowing orange conductors Wheeljack and Bumblebee steal are said to hold "energy", not "energon". Coupled with Hound's unfamiliarity with energon, we cannot say that Energon had been the sole source of energy used by the Transformers before coming to Earth in the G1 cartoon. If it had been, then it's really stretching to say that Hound never knew the name of the very stuff he had lived on for all of his life. :roll:

I've also just started reading the old Marvel G1 comics and this argument is supported there too since ten issues in and not once has the word "energon" ever been brought up by either side. Only the words "energy" and "fuel" have been mentioned (the latter much moreso than the former).

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:2. I never got the idea that all Autobts are nameless until named in Autobot Boot Camp in TF:A. I doubt every single Autobot went through it.
Eh, I just went with what the show and Almanacs gave us, with them saying that those who attended Autobot Boot Camp got their names there and acted like they hadn't been called much of anything else before. Both the sergeants and the cadets reacted like the cadets were nobodies until they got their names there.

Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202601)
Posted by TheDownshift on March 30th, 2011 @ 1:49pm CDT
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202608)
Posted by Cyberstrike on March 30th, 2011 @ 2:01pm CDT
[quote]The other is an ancient group of space-faring Transformers (including Jetfire) who served under the Dynasty of Primes.[/quote]

Is that from the movie comics? Because IIRC in the film Jetfire states that he is (or was) a Decepticon working for the Fallen and he quits because he didn't like their negative attitudes or something like that.
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202609)
Posted by Twitchythe3rd on March 30th, 2011 @ 2:07pm CDT
Cyberstrike wrote:[quote]The other is an ancient group of space-faring Transformers (including Jetfire) who served under the Dynasty of Primes.

The Comics established Jetfire as one of the ancient Seekers.
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202610)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 30th, 2011 @ 2:07pm CDT

IIRC in the film Jetfire states that he is (or was) a Decepticon working for the Fallen and he quits because he didn't like their negative attitudes or something like that.[/quote]And Jetfire was one of these Seekers who served under the Prime Dynasty. They were charged with seeking out stars to be used to recharge the AllSpark. Only after The Fallen went rogue did they become Decepticon-affiliated.
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202616)
Posted by T-Macksimus on March 30th, 2011 @ 2:22pm CDT
sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:I actually read most of that, just fantastic.

Very well researched.

:lol: I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see that you were one of the few who, like me, made it through nearly all of that.

That is astounding work there Saberblade! :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE: :APPLAUSE:

That takes a devotion to detail and history that few folks possess the patience for. The truly scary part is that there is actually room to add more detail points to all of this. I would hope, for the sake of your own sanity, that you are not going to attempt to tackle any further detailing on this any time soon. What you have done is truly amazing. You deserve some kind of plaque or medal for this. We'll have to hit up some of our modders and customs guys to see what they can come up with for you.
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202625)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 30th, 2011 @ 2:31pm CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:
Yep. For while I had considered adding info from the Marvel G1/G2 comics, the Dreamwave G1 comics, the IDW G1 comics, the Dreamwave Armada/Energon comics, the RiD cartoon, the Titan movie comics, the Japanese G1 cartoons, and other sources as well. But, I figured it would be best to stick with both the English side of the fiction and what I knew best, as I could have gotten false info from secondary sources.

Plus, things like the RiD cartoon didn't have as much necessary backstory material to be included in here. While I could have said something about how Optimus got the Matrix there or how Ultra Magnus and he were brothers, or how the Predacons were dominate enemry faction, the accumulated info from that series wouldn't add up to the competing number of info from other series.

T-Macksimus wrote:What you have done is truly amazing. You deserve some kind of plaque or medal for this. We'll have to hit up some of our modders and customs guys to see what they can come up with for you.
:oops:

Meeting some of ya'll at BotCon might be rewarding enough.
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202629)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on March 30th, 2011 @ 2:43pm CDT
Okay, lots of evidence on energy/energon. I concede, partly.

Now it is entirely possible that the cadets went by some previous identifier prior to entering boot camp, but that notion wasn't really explored so I just took what we were given and had to work with it.[/quote]
Of course they're nobodies when first arriving. That's what a boot camp does to the cadets-break them down and rebuild them into soldiers. I don't think Rosanna attended boot camp, and she's got a name. ;)
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202637)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 30th, 2011 @ 2:54pm CDT
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

She took on a different career path. She could have started down the path she took earlier in life and got her name that way. The cadets entering Boot Camp seemed to be somewhat like youngsters.

Or, since we really don't know much of Rosanna's past, she could have had a different name before becoming a singer. How a non-boot camp Autobot got his or her name is a bit hazy, since it wasn't touched upon.

Like I said, I just had to go with what we were given. If you can find solid confirmed word that the cadets entering boot camp (other than Shockwave or any other special case) had real names before being given names by their drill sergeants, I'll gladly go back and rephrase my list to the correct wording.
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202641)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on March 30th, 2011 @ 3:11pm CDT

Very nice work.
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202644)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 30th, 2011 @ 3:16pm CDT
Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:Just finished reading it all, very well done, I hope you sent it to Hasbro as well! If not then you should and see if you get a reply. If you do get a reply then you HAVE to share it with us! XD

Very nice work.
I have not, but that is an interesting idea. Though, I wouldn't know where to start in sending it to Hasbro (or even if this format of coloring would still apply with whatever Hasbro uses).

If anyone here would know how to get this seen by either Hasbro or the higher-ranked people of the Transformers Fandom, please let me know. If word can be passed on, that'd be great (so long as I am given the proper credit to avoid plagiarism and whatnot by anyone passing on the word).
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202690)
Posted by Nemesis37 on March 30th, 2011 @ 5:19pm CDT
Outstanding work, sir. Major props to thoroughness.

I think I closed my mind off when I read it. I only noticed a handful of descrepancies when I read it, but they would only be descrepancies based on what source the reader chooses to christen the truth.

I think Hasbro, when they commisioned this book, acknowledged that their cash cow had reached so many people through different incarnations that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to establish a true prequel to all versions of Transformers, so it focused more on producing a solid origin that honored what, in my opinion, most fans have declared their favorite approaches. [Plus the author is left to add his own favorites, which Alex mentioned in a recent interview].

Once again, only opinion, but I loved the book because it incorporated or acknowledged the main canons. References to Six Lasers Over Cybertron [Beast Wars], The Quints, Unicron, Orion Pax, the Wreckers, and I think they mentioned The Elite Guard, too. Ratbat was his G1 comics version I believe, Prime his Dreamwave War Within version kinda, and I think the simmer to a boil approach to the Prime/Megatron war of ideals rocked. it gives something from our childhood an awesome dramatic weight.

I know this thread's for focusing on the differences and not opinion, but I think DK's Ultimate Guide by Simon Furman should be due for a revision and they should ask you to work with him.

NICE WORK! :KREMZEEK:
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202711)
Posted by BlackSilverBot on March 30th, 2011 @ 6:15pm CDT
"Exodus vs. G1 vs. the Unicron Trilogy vs. the Movies vs. Animated
The lineage of Primes to reign before Optimus

* Sentinel Prime seems to have been the only Prime in existence following the War of the Primes to come before Optimus, as he brought forth the Golden Age and then established the Caste System afterward, bringing the Golden Age to its end.
* There was a long line of Primes that came before Optimus: Primon, the Alpha Prime --> Prima --> Prime Nova A.K.A. Nova Prime --> Guardian Prime --> Zeta Prime --> Sentinel Prime --> Optimus Prime
* The only other Autobot leader known other than Optimus Prime was Rodimus, but he did not bear the Prime title and was of equal rank to Optimus.
* There had been an entire Dynasty of Primes to come before Optimus
* Optimus was not Autobot Supreme Commander and thus did not have any lineage of predecessors. Plus, here, the highest rank of leadership was called “Magnus”, with “Prime” being a lower rank.
* However, those who were known to have bore the Magnus rank include Zeemon Magnus, Nova Magnus, Powered Convoy “P.C.” Magnus, and Ultra Magnus. Sentinel Prime became the “acting Magnus”, but hasn’t officially received the rank yet."

-- In your above statements, you said of the Unicron Trilogy that Rodimus was the only other Autobot leader, however do not forget Vector Prime, as this would also follow the topic.
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202743)
Posted by SlyTF1 on March 30th, 2011 @ 7:28pm CDT
I...think I read most of it. Damn.

My mind = :BOOM: :KREMZEEK:
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202763)
Posted by Fortress Rodimus on March 30th, 2011 @ 9:08pm CDT
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202764)
Posted by sto_vo_kor_2000 on March 30th, 2011 @ 9:16pm CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:

I was doing my dialysis tratement at the time, so I had loads of time on my hands.
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202767)
Posted by Insidious on March 30th, 2011 @ 9:25pm CDT
Haven't read nearly all of this as yet. But, having skimmed through parts, I had to make it a point to drop in a line of kudos. The effort it must have taken to put this together...

Yeah. Kudos. :)
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202778)
Posted by Shadowman on March 30th, 2011 @ 10:03pm CDT
Fortress Rodimus wrote:Man that is funny. I can't believe that anyone would even try to bring the different transformer stories together. They are all to different. It would be like someone trying to put all the Tenchi or Gundam stories together it will never work. But this was a great read. I might pick up the book.

With Gundam, they're pretty straight-up when it comes to continuity. Each calender (Universal Century, Anno Domini, Cosmic Era, etc.) is a different continuity. Except for Gundam X, which is supposed to be an alternate future for Universal Century, and Turn-A Gundam which is (As I have been told seeing as how I haven't watch Turn-A yet) a sort of mix of all continuities somehow mashed together. it helped differentiate thigns when you realize that in nearly each continuity, Mobile Suits are fairly new inventions.
Re: Site Article of Interest: 'Sabrblade's Exodus Vs.' (1202784)
Posted by Ultra Markus on March 30th, 2011 @ 10:13pm CDT
its like comparing the G1 cartoon with the G1 comic by marvel
they are very different may be same characters but different origins and stories

Ending Soon On eBay

Takara Tomy TRANSFORMERS ENCORE 21 Soundblaster Soundwave w/ Cassettes Figure - Time Remaining: 4 days 6 hours 55 minutes 22 seconds
Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack (B3775) BRAND NEW - Time Remaining: 3 days 23 hours 43 minutes 22 seconds
MISB in USA - Takara Transformers Masterpiece MP-18B Bluestreak Blue Limited - Time Remaining: 4 days 2 hours 52 minutes 47 seconds
E-Hobby TAKARA TOMY TRANSFORMERS LEGENDS LG EX DEADLOCK w/ COMIC BOOK - Time Remaining: 6 days 3 hours 53 minutes 20 seconds
TRANSFORMERS Masterpiece MP-18 BLUESTREAK Streak + COIN + AMAZON LAUNCHER CANNON - Time Remaining: 4 days 2 hours 57 minutes 54 seconds
TRANSFORMERS: GENERATIONS • COMBINER WARS Titan Class DEVASTATOR - Time Remaining: 27 days 3 hours 46 minutes 8 seconds
TRANSFORMERS TOKYO ANIME EXPO 2012 EXCLUSIVE UNITED OPTIMUS NEMESIS PRIME - Time Remaining: 5 days 8 hours 53 minutes 25 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Cybertron Decepticon Dirt Boss Deluxe Class 6" Inch Figure - Time Remaining: 5 days 1 hour 17 minutes 24 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #153 - Last Knights of Cybertron
"Last Knights of Cybertron"
Posted: Monday, August 15th, 2016