Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2

Saturday, August 30th, 2014 12:03PM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Media
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 21,966

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

There may be no new Transformers comics coming out next week, but iTunes (via IDW's Mariel Romero) comes to our rescue by providing the usual three-page preview. Check out below a sneak peak at the second issue of Transformers: Primacy!

DECEPTICONS ASSEMBLE! The war for CYBERTRON begins in earnest! MEGATRON brings together the deadliest of his troops for an unbelievable assault on the AUTOBOTS—and the TRANSFORMERS’ world is shaken to the core!


Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2

Transformers News: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2
Credit(s): iTunes
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1602859)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 30th, 2014 @ 12:14pm CDT
A quick question, how long is this set before Thunderwing gets his idea on how to save Cybertron? IDW continuity can be a bit confusing with the very early stuff.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1604086)
Posted by Va'al on September 4th, 2014 @ 6:59pm CDT
Via the IDW Publishing Facebook page, we get a look at the Sarah Stone variant cover for the third issue of Transformers: Primacy - featuring a black and white, with red highlights, Starscream in all his glory. Check it out below!

Image
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1604097)
Posted by padfoo on September 4th, 2014 @ 8:17pm CDT
Amazing art; however while looking at it gave me a Starscream in a nightclub fight vibe.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1604171)
Posted by Mindmaster on September 5th, 2014 @ 8:07am CDT
Va'al wrote:
Image


:BOOM:

Stone's an artist after my own heart. :x
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605058)
Posted by Va'al on September 9th, 2014 @ 1:47am CDT
Ready to get ready for something BIG about to happen in the past of the Transformers? Check out this week's comic release from IDW Publishing: Primacy #2! From the Dille, Metzen, Ramondelli team, who are definitely brewing something up for the series - and we'll talk about it in our review on Wednesday, so head back to Seibertron.com then.

Transformers: Primacy #2 (of 4)
Chris Metzen & Flint Dille (w) • Livio Ramondelli (a & c)
DECEPTICONS ASSEMBLE! The war for CYBERTRON begins in earnest! MEGATRON brings together the deadliest of his troops for an unbelievable assault on the AUTOBOTS—and the TRANSFORMERS’ world is shaken to the core!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
The End of the Beginning of the TRANSFORMERS Saga!
30th Anniversary Variant Cover by Sarah Stone!


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605063)
Posted by FruitBuyer on September 9th, 2014 @ 2:09am CDT
It's like I'm reading the Marvel run with that obnoxious name-dropping. Then again it is that hack Metzen writing.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605082)
Posted by MegaDump on September 9th, 2014 @ 7:00am CDT
Aaannnddd Ramondelli is back at it again: Poorly sequenced art leaving you to wonder what exactly is supposed to be going on. On top of that, what's up with the Predacons? We've seen them in pre-Earth modes in stories set much later than this (but still before they arrived on Earth)... But now we're seeing them possibly at the earliest in the IDW timeline so far, at a period millions of years before their arrival on Earth yet they are bearing the alt-modes of Earth animals that may not have even evolved yet? :HEADHURTS:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605087)
Posted by bluecatcinema on September 9th, 2014 @ 7:20am CDT
"Canis Tor"? Really?
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605156)
Posted by Va'al on September 9th, 2014 @ 11:11am CDT
MegaDump wrote:On top of that, what's up with the Predacons? We've seen them in pre-Earth modes in stories set much later than this (but still before they arrived on Earth)... But now we're seeing them possibly at the earliest in the IDW timeline so far, at a period millions of years before their arrival on Earth yet they are bearing the alt-modes of Earth animals that may not have even evolved yet? :HEADHURTS:


Hm. You have a point here.

I just checked Stormbringer and Spotlight: Jazz, and they're definitely sporting their pre-Earth modes in both of those. And they're on Earth in the latter, too. :-?

This is the second inconsistency with the established continuity so far - though I wonder if it's more for the sake of the upcoming Combiner Wars than anything: new readers may not go as far back as the early Furman/McCarthy run, and the alt-modes would need explaining to the new audience.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605202)
Posted by ricemazter on September 9th, 2014 @ 1:12pm CDT
I'll admit I'm not that familiar with the IDW transformer lore since I only just started getting the collections, but how exactly did the Predacons feed on anything while stuck on Canis Tor? Don't they run on energon or some other derivative that isn't organic? I know the decepticons can convert organic matter into fuel with pink alchemy, but wouldn't they need a big distillery to pull it off, and even so how'd they manage to wipe out the planet's entire populace that way within a few months? :???:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605373)
Posted by MegaDump on September 10th, 2014 @ 12:36am CDT
Va'al wrote:
MegaDump wrote:On top of that, what's up with the Predacons? We've seen them in pre-Earth modes in stories set much later than this (but still before they arrived on Earth)... But now we're seeing them possibly at the earliest in the IDW timeline so far, at a period millions of years before their arrival on Earth yet they are bearing the alt-modes of Earth animals that may not have even evolved yet? :HEADHURTS:


Hm. You have a point here.

I just checked Stormbringer and Spotlight: Jazz, and they're definitely sporting their pre-Earth modes in both of those. And they're on Earth in the latter, too. :-?

This is the second inconsistency with the established continuity so far - though I wonder if it's more for the sake of the upcoming Combiner Wars than anything: new readers may not go as far back as the early Furman/McCarthy run, and the alt-modes would need explaining to the new audience.


Yeah, that seems likely... As much as I love the Transformers, it has always had some of the most heavily inconsistent storytelling of any franchise. Unfortunately, it's something we've had to get used to and either ignore or interpret each our own way... Which is very sloppy storytelling and a bit of a slap in the face for any of the more long-term readers.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605382)
Posted by Va'al on September 10th, 2014 @ 2:57am CDT
MegaDump wrote:
Va'al wrote:
MegaDump wrote:On top of that, what's up with the Predacons? We've seen them in pre-Earth modes in stories set much later than this (but still before they arrived on Earth)... But now we're seeing them possibly at the earliest in the IDW timeline so far, at a period millions of years before their arrival on Earth yet they are bearing the alt-modes of Earth animals that may not have even evolved yet? :HEADHURTS:


Hm. You have a point here.

I just checked Stormbringer and Spotlight: Jazz, and they're definitely sporting their pre-Earth modes in both of those. And they're on Earth in the latter, too. :-?

This is the second inconsistency with the established continuity so far - though I wonder if it's more for the sake of the upcoming Combiner Wars than anything: new readers may not go as far back as the early Furman/McCarthy run, and the alt-modes would need explaining to the new audience.


Yeah, that seems likely... As much as I love the Transformers, it has always had some of the most heavily inconsistent storytelling of any franchise. Unfortunately, it's something we've had to get used to and either ignore or interpret each our own way... Which is very sloppy storytelling and a bit of a slap in the face for any of the more long-term readers.


That may have been true for a long time, but with the current IDW output (this title excluded, given these points of concern) both Andy Schmidt and John Barber as editors have done an amazing job at keeping it all in one more or less rational line.

To the point of going back to moment in previous stories to 'patch up' the continuity, as some of the Spotlights have done, and a lot of flashbacks also link to. :D
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605666)
Posted by 1984forever on September 11th, 2014 @ 9:07am CDT
Different... but AUTHENTIC!

Predacons converting organic matter into Energon just like the Insecticons in G1 did. Cool! I love these guys now. Their " Earth" modes can be excused. Other planets have had Lions, Rhinos and Birds in Sci-Fi stories. These animals have never been portrayed as exclusive to Earth.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605682)
Posted by Va'al on September 11th, 2014 @ 11:22am CDT
Roll Call
(Spoiler free-ish)



Synopsis
DECEPTICONS ASSEMBLE! The war for CYBERTRON begins in earnest! MEGATRON brings together the deadliest of his troops for an unbelievable assault on the AUTOBOTS—and the TRANSFORMERS’ world is shaken to the core!

Image
Uh oh


Story

So here we are again, in the time before time on Cybertron (and other worlds in the post-Expansion mess-up), effectively a second before the ignition of the the great war that will shape the history of the Transformers as we have pretty much always known them. As envisioned by Chris Metzen and Flint Dille, with input from artist Livio Ramondelli too - issue #2.

Image
Oh, you're that guy!


The biggest thing to take away from the previous issue, as you might remember, was the slight inconsistencies wit hthe established IDW universe, particularly in the role played by newly rediscovered Omega Supreme. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case once again, as not only is Omega's tale cemented and bolted down to the streets of Iacon, but we also get a look at some peculiar takes on pre-Earth stories, as the Decepticon upper echelon round-up their army, preparing for battle.

Image
Megatron's Eleven


Above all, the presence of the Predacons on Canis Tor, in their pre-Earth, pre-Stormbringer - but apparently not pre-beast modes. As much as this is a fairly serious continuity blip, it does seem to me that the explanation is simply to feed in to the Combiner Wars stories in which Predaking may or may not feature. A 'recent' continuity if you will, for newer readers. But still.

Image
A-HA!


Nonetheless, the comic is not a bad read! The narrative choice of a big set up run across the universe beyond Cybertron is a nice touch, and it's plenty of fun to take a look at a number of eventually gestalt teams in their daily life before the war hit. It's a fun romp, with a definite G1 feel to it - but you do need to suspend a bit more than disbelief.

Art

Even with the Predacon glitch, Livio Ramondelli's work on the different planets and environments in which the Decepticons find themselves is plenty of fun, and well variegated. From the light, warm jungle of Canis Tor to the grungy, sulphuric Magmara Nine, Ramondelli paints an enjoyably diverse universe populated by the Cybertronians.

Image
Yes, even there


And he does so without losing the darkness of tones over at Autobot command (and in the Presidium, for that matter), both in layouts and colouring, with Optimus realising what decisions he must and must not make in order to ensure the survival and defence of what he cares for. And the brooding begins.

Image
Mopimus Prime


Chris Mowry's lettering, is extremely enjoyable, with some very well placed translucency, and colours mimicking or complementing the artwork beneath and around it. And it's fun, even shrouded in the dangerous terrain of the issue's plot. We've seen most of the covers already (Sarah Stone's variants are here and here), so the thumbnail includes a convention exclusive this time!


Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

I grinned, almost uncontrollably, throughout the entire first part. Yes, it's silly, yes, it doesn't really do much, and yes, it doesn't fit any more in the IDW continuity, there's plenty of name-dropping and some inconsistencies that don't really hold up to the wider universe, and to the story itself (even within the single issue). But I was grinning so hard it almost didn't jar on the first read.

Image
My face


If you can get past that, the issue is an enjoyable read, preparing us for a very very big conflict about to burst at the seams, and we get some very nice double-page spreads to help us position the scale of all this. A very difficult issue to place, as, by itself, is perfectly fine, and only encounters big issues once it's placed on the bigger picture - but as I said, it's grin-worthy, with no doubt.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: ½ out of :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON:
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605694)
Posted by leokearon on September 11th, 2014 @ 12:11pm CDT
Va'al wrote:
I grinned, almost uncontrollably, throughout the entire first part. Yes, it's silly, yes, it doesn't really do much, and yes, it doesn't fit any more in the IDW continuity, there's plenty of name-dropping and some inconsistencies that don't really hold up to the wider universe, and to the story itself (even within the single issue). But I was grinning so hard it almost didn't jar on the first read.



How does this no longer fit in with IDW continuity? It seems to me to fit in still.
Re: Sneak Peek - IDW Transformers: Primacy #2 (1605749)
Posted by Va'al on September 11th, 2014 @ 4:20pm CDT
leokearon wrote:
Va'al wrote:
I grinned, almost uncontrollably, throughout the entire first part. Yes, it's silly, yes, it doesn't really do much, and yes, it doesn't fit any more in the IDW continuity, there's plenty of name-dropping and some inconsistencies that don't really hold up to the wider universe, and to the story itself (even within the single issue). But I was grinning so hard it almost didn't jar on the first read.



How does this no longer fit in with IDW continuity? It seems to me to fit in still.



Omega's actions/statements, Megatron's development, the Predacons' appearance. It's all a bit everywhere. *gesticulates*