Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09

Transformers News: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09

Sunday, February 15th, 2009 8:26PM CST

Categories: Event News, Toy News
Posted by: Tigertrack   Views: 30,477

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

rebelscum.com- Star Wars website, Rebelscum.com, has posted an image from the HASBRO Star Wars Panel showing the newly announced Star Wars Transformers Crossovers for the 2009 year.

This combination of two very popular franchises has caused fans in each camp to take sides on whether they are, or are not, worth being added to a collection.

This image announces an Ahsoka/Jedi Starfighter, Kit Fisto/ Jedi Starfighter, and new molds Battle Droid/ AAT, and Magna Guard/ Magna Guard Fighter.

Regardless of how you may feel, they seem to be doing pretty well, as HASBRO continues this play pattern into yet another wave.

You can see the original image here, at Rebelscum.com. The same image is shared below.

Re: NY Toys Fair 2009 :Star Wars Transformers
Credit(s): Wheeljack35, Rebelscum.com
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (884788)
Posted by UltraPrimal on February 15th, 2009 @ 9:53pm CST
OMG! How can Hasbro keep pumping out SWTF figures, but stuff like Classics, Alternators, Universe, and Animated get the chopping block?
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (884789)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on February 15th, 2009 @ 9:56pm CST
UltraPrimal wrote:OMG! How can Hasbro keep pumping out SWTF figures, but stuff like Classics, Alternators, Universe, and Animated get the chopping block?


Because they're apparently staffed by morons. Which also explains why we're getting a figure based on the Star Wars equivalent of Drift, too.
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (884806)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on February 15th, 2009 @ 10:43pm CST
The magnaguard is awesome. Defiantly a must buy. The battle droids not bad but i need to see a better picture before i decide to buy. The Jedi Starfighter has been used way to much. The mold isnt even that great.
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (884850)
Posted by doomseer on February 16th, 2009 @ 3:33am CST
The starfighter mold is really rubbish and way overused. The two middle ones look good but it will take a bit to get me over how disappointed I was with the second general grievous one.
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (884859)
Posted by Diem on February 16th, 2009 @ 4:42am CST
BTW, I'd be interesting in knowing what Star Wars fans think of these figures. Do they think the same as most TF fans?
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (884884)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on February 16th, 2009 @ 7:03am CST
Ugh.. Pass..
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (884911)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on February 16th, 2009 @ 8:33am CST
[quote="Diem"]BTW, I'd be interesting in knowing what Star Wars fans think of these figures. Do they think the same as most TF fans?[/

I'm both a TF fan and a SW fan, and I think these things are utter pants.
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (884943)
Posted by typh0id on February 16th, 2009 @ 10:50am CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:Because they're apparently staffed by morons.



That's pretty harsh don't you think? They're not STUPID, they're trying to make money...As with anything else, they know the despite that fact that hardcore colelctors may not like this nonsense, it's the mom's with little kid's who will look at these and go "Wow! Transformers AND Star Wars all in one toy! My kid loves both of those so I can totally kill two birds with one stone here!" that are their cash crop...

I think the Marvel Crossovers are tolerable and the Star Wars are just plain crap...But just because Hasbro is putting out some toys I don't like (and not completely up to their TF standards), it doesn't mean that they are idiots for it...In fact, if they weren't making retarded sums of money off of the children/mothers dempographic, they probably wouldn't even bother putting out the good shit like Universe and such...
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (884969)
Posted by craggy on February 16th, 2009 @ 11:52am CST
That Jedi Starfighter really has to be the most over-repainted toy in TF history. Even the Combaticons haven't had as many redecos. Ok, they've stuck the Hyperspace hula hoop on there, but it is still essentially the same toy isn't it?
Worst of all, it was a rubbish design in the first place. There have been some okay looking SWTFs, but none bar Grievous have ever tempted me to buy them.
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (884999)
Posted by spiritofcat on February 16th, 2009 @ 1:07pm CST
I'm both a TF and SW fan, but I've had very little interest in the SWTF line for the most part.
I bought the Darth Maul one when they first came out, but he was quite disappointing and I've had reservations about buying any more since then.
The droid ones here look like they might be alright though. I'll make a decision on them when I see them in a shop.
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (885031)
Posted by T-Macksimus on February 16th, 2009 @ 2:13pm CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:
Diem wrote:BTW, I'd be interesting in knowing what Star Wars fans think of these figures. Do they think the same as most TF fans?[/

I'm both a TF fan and a SW fan, and I think these things are utter pants.


I was a Star Wars fan long before Transformers. I got the Luke and Vader figure from this line and I'm still debating on Han/Chewie and some of the other "original trilogy" figures. Some of these figures look like they tried too hard to make something work out of something that should not have been attempted to begin with. It's an o.k. idea, I don't dislike the concept, but I don't feel that the other "old school" SW fans are too keen on it.

On a different note, does anyone else find it odd that the battle droid is sporting a "Republic" paint-job? Either some bot got re-programmed or the clones have started "tagging" Trade Fed. property. :P
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (885054)
Posted by Emperor Primacron the 1st on February 16th, 2009 @ 2:53pm CST
I like SWTF's. Great army builders and I like what I'm seeing.

More for me, I guess. :mrgreen:
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (885096)
Posted by ServO on February 16th, 2009 @ 3:59pm CST
I am a fan of both Star Wars and Transformers, and I STILL say they should be making Star Wars Vehicles that turn into our favorite Transformer carachters NOT Star Wars vehicles that transform into Star Wars Carachters. I mean, that part of it just doesn't make sense!!! Are we talking about a HUGE Anakin Skywalker that would turn into a Jedi Starfighter that smaller, more normal sized folks could get in and fly around? Or are we thinking more along the lines of a normal sized Palpatine that transforms into a tiny little go-kart sized shuttle??? We need a podracer that turns into Hot Rod...we need Starscream as an assault shuttle...Arielbot A, X, T, and Y-wings...a Falcon as Jetfire or Ultra Magnus? Buzzsaw and Lazerbeak TIE fighters? Certainly not a Unicron Death Star...I dunno...as a die hard Star Wars fan, I won't ever really accept the crossover figures as some useful part of the Star Wars toy line...When I see the crossover figures (Marvel included), I don't look at them so much as what person they are, but what Transformer figure they could be. I will personally be satisfied when I have a 3-3/4" Speeder-Bike that transforms into I dunno...Rumble or something, that is paired up with a Biker Scout figure...
I suppose we can look foward to an oddly shaped H.I.S.S. Tank that transforms into Destro, and an akward shrunken Sky Stryker that transforms into Duke...
On the up side, there's going to be a Count Dooku Force FX Lightsaber, and a new mold for the 3-3/4" Y-Wing!!! YAY!!! Rejoice!!!
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (885576)
Posted by Technically weird on February 17th, 2009 @ 2:00pm CST
So they're gonna keep repainting these crappy things? Unbelievable...
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (885704)
Posted by doomseer on February 17th, 2009 @ 5:57pm CST
The only one I would REALLY recommend for TF fans is the 'commander Cody' one. That one is really very good indeed. The millenium Falcon isn't too bad either, just a bit of an odd concept!
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (885972)
Posted by Darth Bombshell on February 18th, 2009 @ 8:31am CST
typh0id wrote:That's pretty harsh don't you think? They're not STUPID, they're trying to make money...As with anything else, they know the despite that fact that hardcore colelctors may not like this nonsense, it's the mom's with little kid's who will look at these and go "Wow! Transformers AND Star Wars all in one toy! My kid loves both of those so I can totally kill two birds with one stone here!" that are their cash crop...

I think the Marvel Crossovers are tolerable and the Star Wars are just plain crap...But just because Hasbro is putting out some toys I don't like (and not completely up to their TF standards), it doesn't mean that they are idiots for it...In fact, if they weren't making retarded sums of money off of the children/mothers dempographic, they probably wouldn't even bother putting out the good shit like Universe and such...


It may be harsh, but then again, the truth often is. And just because something is successful doesn't mean it's a good idea. SWTF might be a good idea, but even a good idea can be run into the ground, as evident by the fact that most of this line is just repaints, indicating a running out of ideas.

That's also evident in the fact that they decided to make a figure out of Ahsoka, the worst idea to come out of Star Wars ever, and the character that manages the impossible task of making Jar Jar Binks look like a good idea.
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (885974)
Posted by Counterpunch on February 18th, 2009 @ 8:39am CST
Shame on whomever is still buying these things.

SHAAAAAAME!

(Not that I hate the designs so much as the quality)
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (885981)
Posted by typh0id on February 18th, 2009 @ 8:58am CST
Darth Bombshell wrote:
It may be harsh, but then again, the truth often is. And just because something is successful doesn't mean it's a good idea. SWTF might be a good idea, but even a good idea can be run into the ground, as evident by the fact that most of this line is just repaints, indicating a running out of ideas.


I'm certainly not arguing with that...But bottom line, no matter how asstastic the figures are, if they DO sell then they were a good idea from Hasbro's pov...I might think they are crap (and believe me, I do) but I'm not the one making money off of them...And considering that WE all buy tons of TF repaints without blinking, I have no doubt that the main demographic for the SW crossovers (most of whom don't care so much about the quality because their little kids will like them regardless) will keep buying them...And thus, Hasbro will keep making them...There's really nothing unreasonable about that...
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (886076)
Posted by T-Macksimus on February 18th, 2009 @ 12:04pm CST
typh0id wrote: I'm certainly not arguing with that...But bottom line, no matter how asstastic the figures are, if they DO sell then they were a good idea from Hasbro's pov...I might think they are crap (and believe me, I do) but I'm not the one making money off of them...And considering that WE all buy tons of TF repaints without blinking, I have no doubt that the main demographic for the SW crossovers (most of whom don't care so much about the quality because their little kids will like them regardless) will keep buying them...And thus, Hasbro will keep making them...There's really nothing unreasonable about that...


Thank you! I've stated it dozens of times and dozens of different ways but I still keep having to remind folks that it is all about the target demographic and we just aren't it. Older fans have their expectations way too high and until they start thinking like 7 year olds (although a few are already there and not in a good way) they are not going to be satisfied. The few pieces I bought from this line are purely display pieces because of inferior quality (and I still may pick up a few more) and the ones my kids have certainly did not hold up to normal play so as a result they have not gotten any more. The kids got over it quickly and I just chalked it up to a learning experience but I didn't complain about it because I'm not a kid. I'm not SUPPOSED to be the one content or discontent with these toys. For the life of me, I can't figure out why this is so hard for folks to accept .
Re: Star Wars Transformers: New Crossovers From Toyfair '09 (886081)
Posted by typh0id on February 18th, 2009 @ 12:19pm CST
T-Macksimus wrote: I'm not SUPPOSED to be the one content or discontent with these toys. For the life of me, I can't figure out why this is so hard for folks to accept .



Yeah...I just don't see the point in blaming Hasbro (or calling them stupid) for putting out toys I don't like...The key word there is TOY...The adult market for toys is MUCH smaller than the kid market...For completely OBVIOUS reasons...

As I said above, if Hasbro wasn't churning out tons of stuff to appeal mainly to kids and making tons of money off of it, they wouldn't bea able to afford to put out things like Universe and the more adult-appealing stuff because they know that ultimately it isn't going to sell as well...

So as an adult collector, I really don't care WHAT Hasbro puts out as long as they are making enough money to throw some fun stuff my way once in awhile...Sure it would be cool if there was WAY more Universe merch, but I understand why there isn't...And I'm happy for what I've gotten so far and will get in the future...
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #91 - History Lesson
Twincast / Podcast #91:
"History Lesson"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 21st, 2014