Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film

Transformers News: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film

Friday, December 2nd, 2011 9:30PM CST

Category: Live Action Movie News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 41,372

Slashfilm has posted a couple of interesting quotes from Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay regarding their involvement in the future of the Transformers movie franchise. Spielberg definitely wants Bay for another Transformers film, and Bay doesn't seem as adamant about leaving the franchise as he once was.

The first quote from Spielberg comes from the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly:
The question was asked if Spielberg thought there would be another Michael Bay Transformers movie to which he said:

I hope so, because I think he made the best of the three with this last one. I certainly can’t imagine anybody other than Michael being equipped to make another Transformers. He’s invented a genre and he’s got the secret formula.

The second quote from Bay comes from his appearance at the opening of Transformers: The Ride at Universal Studios Singapore:

How did I know someone’s going to ask me this question today? We’re talking about it, but there’s nothing right now. I’m going to do a tiny movie first, then we’ll talk about it, if I potentially do it.
Credit(s): Slashfilm
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319002)
Posted by cotss2012 on December 2nd, 2011 @ 9:36pm CST
Noideaforaname wrote:they certainly can't make good Bayverse TF films.

Nobody has yet made a good Bayverse TF film :lol:
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319004)
Posted by TulioDude on December 2nd, 2011 @ 9:38pm CST
No solid info yet.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319009)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on December 2nd, 2011 @ 9:59pm CST
dear lord please no
SlyTF1 wrote:But for these movies, all I want is robots killing each other, then transforming.

I'd settle for that too... if I got it.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319011)
Posted by Burn on December 2nd, 2011 @ 10:00pm CST
And from the dark recesses of the TF fanbase came cries of disbelief ... which made me lol.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319031)
Posted by sky_fire12 on December 2nd, 2011 @ 11:49pm CST
BRING ON THE DINOBOTS !! :BOT:
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319040)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 3rd, 2011 @ 12:46am CST
SlyTF1 wrote:I agree too. There's no damn way the movies would be half as exciting with someone else. Everyone always wants to focus on boring ass stories and interactions with characters. I don't give a damn about any of that. I have Prime, Animated, and G1 if I want that stuff. But for these movies, all I want is robots killing each other, then transforming.
In other words, you don't want these movies to be substantially good. You just want them to be mind-numbing and pointless, with no reason for us to even care about the characters.

Seriously, none of these movies gave me any reasons why I should even care about who lives and who dies.

• Ironhide's murder by Sentinel? Barely knew him anyway.[/*:m]
  • Megatron's deaths? Predictable.[/*:m]
  • Optimus Prime's impalement? Typical.[/*:m]
  • Sentinel Prime's death? Hey, it's only making Opitmus look more cold.[/*:m]
  • Starscream's death? Pitiful.[/*:m]
  • Jazz's death? Brushed off as though it were nothing.[/*:m]
  • The Fallen's death? Abrupt.[/*:m]
  • Jetfire's sacrifice? Noble, but he wasn't gonna last much longer at his age.[/*:m]
  • Laserbeak's death? Kinda cool, but a savage like him wouldn't dare be kept alive by the writers.[/*:m]
  • Any other Decepticons' deaths? Mere Redshirts.[/*:m][/list:u]
    There's something to be said about a film when the audience doesn't empathize with its (would-be) main stars.

I wanted to like these bots, but these films kept trying to sell Shia and his lover interests instead.

There is more to the TFs that mindless robot battling. Much more. 25+ years of lore are proof of that.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319043)
Posted by amtm on December 3rd, 2011 @ 1:08am CST
Let's just hope Bay actually sticks to his word and says no. And let's hope for a new producer and new writers, too. Transformers to date has never had a movie that I can call "good." Not in 1986, not in 2011. I enjoyed what I could but it's a lot like getting Diet Coke when you were expecting regular. It gives you a hollow feeling and a bad taste in your mouth. It's pretty sad when a half hour cartoon can tell a story better than a 2.5 hour film.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319046)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 3rd, 2011 @ 1:16am CST
amtm wrote:It's pretty sad when a half hour cartoon can tell a story better than a 2.5 hour film.
Quoted for truth.

These movies treat the audience like dimwits, which we are not. We are smarter than that and deserve more respectable movies that don't insult our IQs.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319050)
Posted by SavageCam on December 3rd, 2011 @ 1:25am CST
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Anyone who thinks Bay made good TF movies doesn't know crap about good story telling. I give him all the credit for the visuals (minus the god awful robot designs and too close camera angles).

Last time I checked, a Transformers movie was supposed to be about, you know, the TRANSFORMERS. Not some dumb kid. I have asked every friend I have who didn't know crap about Transformers before the movie to give me character descriptions of any Transformer that was longer than 1 sentence.

# of them that could accomplish that very simple task: 0

THAT'S NOT GOOD STORYTELLING!!!

(Rage dump)
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319052)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on December 3rd, 2011 @ 1:30am CST
Sabrblade wrote:

• Ironhide's murder by Sentinel? Barely knew him anyway.[/*:m]
  • Megatron's deaths? Predictable.[/*:m]
  • Optimus Prime's impalement? Typical.[/*:m]
  • Sentinel Prime's death? Hey, it's only making Opitmus look more cold.[/*:m]
  • Starscream's death? Pitiful.[/*:m]
  • Jazz's death? Brushed off as though it were nothing.[/*:m]
  • The Fallen's death? Abrupt.[/*:m]
  • Any other Decepticons' deaths? Mere Redshirts.[/*:m][/list:u]

Thaaank you.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319054)
Posted by ninjascythe79 on December 3rd, 2011 @ 1:41am CST
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319058)
Posted by piranacon on December 3rd, 2011 @ 2:11am CST
I think Bay is tentative to make another movie after what he did to the third movie. He didn't think he would be asked to make a fourth and made it vary hard for another sequel.
With Cybertron destroyed and most of the Decepticons there isn't anything to fight for now.
I think most of the car licenses were being a pain on the last movie too so if they do a fourth they might have to choose different cars and may as well just reboot the franchise.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319063)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 3rd, 2011 @ 2:42am CST
ninjascythe79 wrote:well if it's not bay then who? A poor mans bay like Mcg or brent ratner? I can't imagine they're going to go in a much different directiion. let's be real the forth installment is not often a very good one. Exhibit a the phantom menace exhibit b x-men origins wolverine exhibit c batman and robin. I could continue ( superman 4 anybody?) I doubt they're getting james cameron or ridley scott. Bay is ok. More of the same. As far as I'm concerned this is bay's to ruin (more) or fix like revenge of the sith.
Try Chris Nolan. Or Joe Johnston. Or Jon Favreau. Or J. J. Abrams. Alfonso Cuarón. Kurt Wimmer. Michael Mann. Duncan Jones. Bryan Singer. Ridley Scott. Peter Jackson. Neill Blomkamp. Gore Verbinski. Guillermo del Toro. Edward Zwick. Or hey, have Spielberg himself direct it.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319067)
Posted by RhA on December 3rd, 2011 @ 3:01am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
Quoted for truth.

Quoted for opinion.

On which I don't agree. TF Has never been about anything then selling toys and a batch of other stuff. If not for that, we'd have no TF's. It's exaclty what meets the eye.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319068)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on December 3rd, 2011 @ 3:04am CST
Sabrblade wrote:

J.J. Abrams always has great buildups, but he's got to learn how to properly finish his movies, haha. I'd love to see Guillermo del Toro do Transformers.. that'd be one unique flick.

RhA... I just love that your current rank is "Head master" :lol:
But I'd have to disagree with you about the show being just about selling merch.
The reason for its existence might be that (okay, it is), but the story writers who wrote for the toon actually needed to work, and they were able to be creative in their work, using the already fabricated moving pieces that came before the story they were about to write. The output that is each toon from the 80s were a result of the slick/futuristic/sci fi elements of the time. At the end of the day, I guarantee you each writer had a connection with the episode he wrote, and as he wrote it, wasn't thinkin about the money side of things.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319072)
Posted by RhA on December 3rd, 2011 @ 3:09am CST
MINDVVIPE wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

RhA... I just love that your current rank is "Head master" :lol:

I'm holding out for 'Breastmaster'.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319073)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 3rd, 2011 @ 3:11am CST
RhA wrote:TF Has never been about anything then selling toys and a batch of other stuff.
Tell that to all the great stories out there that weren't about toy gimmicks or marketing. As well as all the non-toy characters. ;)
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319075)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on December 3rd, 2011 @ 3:19am CST
RhA wrote:
I'm holding out for 'Breastmaster'.

I'm sure you'll rank up soon
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319076)
Posted by RhA on December 3rd, 2011 @ 3:20am CST
Sabrblade wrote:

You happen to like those, which is okay. We're all fans of the same stuff and from time to time we get a writer who's a little closer to our likings, still doesn't make it any less of a product.

Your personal taste in characters or storytelling can't be an better then anyone who does like the movies. Personal taste can't be quantified and therefore can't be any better or worse then anyone else's.

People still try it, though.

Fact remains; Hasbro Takaratomy pulls the plug, no more money, no more TF's.
Re: Steven Spielberg Wants Michael Bay for Another Transformers Film (1319100)
Posted by Erailea on December 3rd, 2011 @ 5:35am CST
Sabrblade wrote:

• Ironhide's murder by Sentinel? Barely knew him anyway.[/*:m]
  • Megatron's deaths? Predictable.[/*:m]
  • Optimus Prime's impalement? Typical.[/*:m]
  • Sentinel Prime's death? Hey, it's only making Opitmus look more cold.[/*:m]
  • Starscream's death? Pitiful.[/*:m]
  • Jazz's death? Brushed off as though it were nothing.[/*:m]
  • The Fallen's death? Abrupt.[/*:m]
  • Any other Decepticons' deaths? Mere Redshirts.[/*:m][/list:u]

Thank you Sabrblade. A part of my soul died when I read the "who needs a story" part.

Story = everything. And it's not like the concept of story is new to the TF world. We just got stuck with a director that loves blowing crap up more than making us care about the things he's blowing up. You don't need to be making a chick flick to make viewers care :/

It's frightening how many people like mind-numbing nothingness movies these days...

Ending Soon On eBay

LOT LOOSE TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS SLING SABERBACK RAIL SPIKE JRX WEDGE BULLDOZER - Time Remaining: 2 days 15 hours 15 minutes 26 seconds
Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust US Seller - Time Remaining: 3 days 3 hours 4 minutes 12 seconds
G1 Transformers Decepticon Pretenders Submaurader & Bugly w/ Boxes & Manuals - Time Remaining: 2 days 11 hours 50 minutes 19 seconds
Transformers HFTD Hunt for the Decepticons Voyager Class Night Ops Ratchet - Time Remaining: 4 days 12 hours 6 minutes 23 seconds
Transformers Takara Masterpiece MP-29 Destron Laswerwave (Shockwave) MISB - Time Remaining: 3 days 2 hours 54 minutes 39 seconds
Transformers Platinum Edition 30th Anniversary Ultra Magnus - Time Remaining: 5 days 2 hours 40 minutes 1 second
2006 Transformers Classics Ultra Magnus Target Exclusive - Time Remaining: 2 days 22 hours 42 minutes 57 seconds
Noctorro & Air Hammer 1997 Hasbro BEAST WARS TRANSFORMERS FUZORS Heroic Maximal - Time Remaining: 2 days 15 hours 13 minutes 11 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #159 - Imperfect Specks