Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas

Transformers News: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas

Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 1:56PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 19,795

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

An image from one the various Japanese hobby magazines has been making the rounds today that gives a status update on Takara Tomy's Masterpiece Fan's Choice poll. Fans were given the choice of eleven characters to vote on, the winner will receive a Masterpiece figure as part of the Transformers 30th Anniversary. According to the update the current front runner is Star Saber followed by Micron Densetsu Convoy (aka Transformers Armada Optimus Prime) in second and Dai Atlas in third. Keep in mind these are not the final results, just the current leaders in the poll.

Here's a list of all the characters in the running:

  • Fortress Maximus
  • Super Ginrai
  • Star Saber
  • Dai Atlas
  • Convoy (Beast Wars)
  • Lio Convoy
  • Big Convoy
  • Superfire Convoy
  • Micron Convoy
  • Grand Convoy
  • Galaxy Convoy


Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open

Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open

Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open

Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open

Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open

Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open

Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open

Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open

Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open

Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open

Re: 30th Anniversary voting site is open
Credit(s): Facebook user Smokescreen
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505755)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 23rd, 2013 @ 2:08pm CDT
As much as I would love to see Star Saber get his own MP toy, I really want Armada Optimus Prime to get his own, for nostalgia's sake (and, well, my Optimus has suffered from GPS, now having only one arm in robot mode).

So could the runner-ups also receive MP toys?
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505756)
Posted by El Duque on July 23rd, 2013 @ 2:12pm CDT
Honestly I don't think the results of the poll are anything other than market research to gauge collector interest in characters outside of G1 in the MP line. They probably have two or three of the characters already designed and a the "winner" was probably determined long ago.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505757)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on July 23rd, 2013 @ 2:12pm CDT
Oh my... Color me not interested...

Of those, I'd have to say that I only want Primal or RiD Optimus.

Star Saber would be okay, too, I suppose. Just anything but a 'fortress-former'.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505761)
Posted by datguy86 on July 23rd, 2013 @ 2:35pm CDT
El Duque wrote:Honestly I don't think the results of the poll are anything other than market research to gauge collector interest in characters outside of G1 in the MP line. They probably have two or three of the characters already designed and a the "winner" was probably determined long ago.


Agreed. The time it takes to display a prototype of the figure after announcing the winner will be what really tells us how this went down.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505773)
Posted by Convotron on July 23rd, 2013 @ 2:54pm CDT
datguy86 wrote:
El Duque wrote:Honestly I don't think the results of the poll are anything other than market research to gauge collector interest in characters outside of G1 in the MP line. They probably have two or three of the characters already designed and a the "winner" was probably determined long ago.


Agreed. The time it takes to display a prototype of the figure after announcing the winner will be what really tells us how this went down.


Agreed with both datguy86 and El Duque.

Considering that it takes 2+ years for the average Transformer toy development cycle, a toy with Masterpiece level design and engineering isn't going to be simply made and brought to market without significant planning.

Unless the "winning" choice is slated for release in mid to late 2015 at the earliest, I'd say that the MP toy was already in development.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505780)
Posted by grimdragon2001 on July 23rd, 2013 @ 3:24pm CDT
An MP Fort Max might be interesting, although I could easily see I as being a heavily retooled version of the G1 toy, adding articulation joints to maximize posability.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505787)
Posted by Dean ML on July 23rd, 2013 @ 3:35pm CDT
Ginrai, Dai Atlas, and Star Saber are the only ones I'd have any interest in. I'm strictly in-scale G1.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505837)
Posted by KNM2012 on July 23rd, 2013 @ 6:39pm CDT
I was hoping to hear about this.

Because I expected Star Saber to be #1. Holy grail factor + possibly Victory add-ons. Surprised I was right about Dai Atlas, as I based that on lack of reissue + being the last animated Supreme Commander in the Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers toyline. But "Micron Dentsu" Convoy getting the #2 slot so far? Not final, and Star Saber might win. But Mindmaster said it best when it comes to the "nostalgia" factor.

Also, I am assuming that Lio Convoy did not make the top 5 slot. Would not be surprised if (Beast) Convoy made it to #4. But when it comes to the prototypes, I bet that they made scaled down versions in advance. Because that is what they did in preparation for the Binaltech/Alternity version of Smokescreen. That, or study the Robot Master figures. :lol:

Either way, I need to see how I feel about collecting when the winner is up for preorder.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505844)
Posted by amtm on July 23rd, 2013 @ 7:17pm CDT
I wouldn't say the winning character is already chosen. But I would bet what we'll see is one of two things. Either it's just going to be a repaint of an already released figure with maybe a new head and weapon, or they made a generic body design in advance and will swap in a different head, weapon, etc. depending on the fans' choice. I expect it to be as unique as all the convention/collectors club "exclusives".
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505845)
Posted by Anonymous. on July 23rd, 2013 @ 7:19pm CDT
If they are ever going to do Micron Legend Optimus Prime, they need to do it right, and give us a new Micron Sparkplug that is highly articulated. Much of the grief of not liking the new Armada Starscream Deluxe figure is that there is no Swindle. Hopefully Takara corrects it..
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505846)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 23rd, 2013 @ 7:20pm CDT
amtm wrote:Either it's just going to be a repaint of an already released figure with maybe a new head and weapon, or they made a generic body design in advance and will swap in a different head, weapon, etc. depending on the fans' choice. I expect it to be as unique as all the convention/collectors club "exclusives".


This is pretty much the same deal as the poll on Windblade: they wouldn't put this much love, and let the fanbase have a hand in choosing the next MP figure, just to make it a retool of an existing MP and making it exclusive.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505848)
Posted by Mindmaster on July 23rd, 2013 @ 7:23pm CDT
Blurrz wrote:Much of the grief of not liking the new Armada Starscream Deluxe figure is that there is no Swindle.


I know, that really irked me. The toy looks fantastic, but it feels incomplete without the addition of Swindle. I'm sure some third party companies have heard our plight and are already in the developmental phase of making a little Swindle for Starscream.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505851)
Posted by chaosmage42 on July 23rd, 2013 @ 7:36pm CDT
of these figures i hope its starsaber or dai atlus as we have never gotten those figures and i would buy a master piece-which i normally don't to get them -star saber is one i would really like
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505853)
Posted by KNM2012 on July 23rd, 2013 @ 7:43pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:
amtm wrote:Either it's just going to be a repaint of an already released figure with maybe a new head and weapon, or they made a generic body design in advance and will swap in a different head, weapon, etc. depending on the fans' choice. I expect it to be as unique as all the convention/collectors club "exclusives".


This is pretty much the same deal as the poll on Windblade: they wouldn't put this much love, and let the fanbase have a hand in choosing the next MP figure, just to make it a retool of an existing MP and making it exclusive.


100% agreed. Between the fact that this is the 30th anniversary piece, fans are spending money on figures in hopes of having their votes count, and that these characters cannot be based on any pre-existing molds... There is no chance or merit that they will cut corners and turn a "MP-10" Convoy into a Star Saber, Dai Atlas, etc.

Ironically, though, G-2 Battle Convoy was a form reused for Beast Convoy in Beast Wars Reborn. But, then again, that story was also based in the Micron Trilogy universe. :lol:
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505855)
Posted by SentinelA on July 23rd, 2013 @ 7:49pm CDT
Try none of the above. I WANT GALVATRON!
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505863)
Posted by KNM2012 on July 23rd, 2013 @ 8:03pm CDT
SentinelA wrote:Try none of the above. I WANT GALVATRON!


However, Galvatron was not a Cybertron Supreme Commander that appeared in any of the pre-merger series. :lol: However, be patient. They might do either a "Generations" incarnation before they decide to do a Masterpiece version of the other major 2010 characters. ;)
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505899)
Posted by chaosmage42 on July 23rd, 2013 @ 10:00pm CDT
so not only is the subject of voting from the 80s so is the voting process -im feeling like im in a time warp
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505923)
Posted by T-Macksimus on July 23rd, 2013 @ 11:36pm CDT
While I have always been a big fan of Fort Max, they'd either have to scale him down to MP Prime size, which I'm not at all opposed to honestly, or else charge damn near 600 bucks for a retooled full size MP quality (not this Generations Metroplex monstrosity which is rapidly losing it's appeal to me) and I can't see that happening. I'm hoping Dai Atlas gets it. If it has to be a Prime, I'd just as soon see Lio or the Cybertron incarnation get it but they aren't in the running.
It doesn't matter much anyways. Being in the States I'm not likely to lay my hands on one anytime soon, not unless I'm willing to pay some exorbitant price for it.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505924)
Posted by RAcast on July 23rd, 2013 @ 11:45pm CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:While I have always been a big fan of Fort Max, they'd either have to scale him down to MP Prime size, which I'm not at all opposed to honestly, or else charge damn near 600 bucks for a retooled full size MP quality (not this Generations Metroplex monstrosity which is rapidly losing it's appeal to me) and I can't see that happening. I'm hoping Dai Atlas gets it. If it has to be a Prime, I'd just as soon see Lio or the Cybertron incarnation get it but they aren't in the running.
It doesn't matter much anyways. Being in the States I'm not likely to lay my hands on one anytime soon, not unless I'm willing to pay some exorbitant price for it.

Fort Max is normal-guy size in the IDW comics, so there is precedent.
Re: Takara Tomy 30th Anniversary Masterpiece Fan's Choice Poll Update: Current Leaders - Star Saber, Micron Densetsu Convoy, and Dai Atlas (1505958)
Posted by Mykltron on July 24th, 2013 @ 4:48am CDT
Looks like I'll be passing on this MP.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Beast Hunters Predaking Ultimate Class 100% Complete - Time Remaining: 5 days 12 hours 42 minutes 17 seconds
Transformers Reveal The Shield Bumblebee DLX Class 100% Complete - Time Remaining: 5 days 3 hours 45 minutes 44 seconds
Transformers G1 OVERKILL (broken) complete reissue encore 19 cassette tape China - Time Remaining: 3 days 21 hours 27 minutes 29 seconds
Transformers HERO MASHERS SIDESWIPE STEELJAW SOUNDWAVE NISB!!  VHTF!! RARE!! - Time Remaining: 5 days 18 hours 57 minutes 39 seconds
TRANSFORMERS CYBERTRON GALAXY FORCE SUPREME CLASS STARSCREAM LOOSE ORIGINAL - Time Remaining: 3 days 8 hours 57 minutes 55 seconds
Transformers G1 RAMHORN 100% complete reissue encore 17 cassette tape China - Time Remaining: 3 days 21 hours 31 minutes 27 seconds
Transformers Fall of Cybertron BLASTER & STEELJAW Generations sealed figure FOC - Time Remaining: 19 days 11 hours 2 minutes 59 seconds
hot! FansToys Transformers G1 FT-05 Masterpiece MP Soar Red Dinobots Swoop 1 - Time Remaining: 4 days 6 hours 21 minutes 24 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #159 - Imperfect Specks
Twincast / Podcast #159:
"Imperfect Specks"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, November 12th, 2016
Website Security Test