Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron

Transformers News: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron

Saturday, February 8th, 2014 8:26PM CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 31,971

We have some new info on that mysterious Megatron silhouette that appeared on the Takara Tomy Arts page late last month, apparently it's Mega Drive Megatron! A joint venture between Takara Tomy and Sega, which appears to be a Megatron that can transform into a Sega Genesis console! Check out the images from Wonderfest below.

Transformers News: Re: Takara Tomy to Launch New Arts Line Featuring Transformers Characters?

Credit(s): Sega, 2chan, @nukanobu
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549038)
Posted by Mkall on February 8th, 2014 @ 8:33pm CST
That looks very cool!
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549039)
Posted by RAcast on February 8th, 2014 @ 8:35pm CST
Gotta say, that's pretty hilarious (and out of left field).

Also, what's the blue fellow on the left?
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549040)
Posted by Venowtron on February 8th, 2014 @ 8:55pm CST
if they announce an Optimus, will it turn into a Super Nintendo?
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549041)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on February 8th, 2014 @ 8:59pm CST
Function: Making TFs with cassette alts look less like obsolete technology by comparison. Way to take one for the greater good, Segatron!

So will all of his gun extensions be reinterpreted as Genesis add-ons, like Sega CD and the 32X thing?

Sorry if those aren't the right names, but I was too firmly on Nintendo's side in the early '90s console wars to care. No matter how great Sonic's cartoons were, I could only play any of those games for a minute before facing the inescapable question:
Besides running so fast that I'll never react in time to avoid hitting anything, what does he...y'know...DO? A single environment where I can take my time to leave scorched earth is worth a thousand obstacle courses in my book. Have they still never released Game Boy Mega Man 1-5 on a higher system?

Still, I should read Sonic's comics someday, out of respect for Manny Galan. Not sarcasm, I'm serious.

Back on topic...he does look beautiful in robot mode, but am I the only one who'd be more interested in a series of Megatrons that turn into specific light-guns for classic systems?
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549042)
Posted by #Sideways# on February 8th, 2014 @ 9:09pm CST
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549043)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 8th, 2014 @ 9:10pm CST
Venowtron wrote:if they announce an Optimus, will it turn into a Super Nintendo?
Probably either a Famicom or a Super Famicom instead.
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549044)
Posted by Madeus Prime on February 8th, 2014 @ 9:19pm CST
Not to shabby, but who's the cool gundam lookalike car-bot on the left?
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549045)
Posted by ausbot on February 8th, 2014 @ 9:20pm CST
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549046)
Posted by TimothyR on February 8th, 2014 @ 9:25pm CST
ausbot wrote:Replace the fusion cannon and lose the "16 bit" and this will make a good classics megatron, plus I would like to see a megaplex and browning

i'm sorry.. but i'd prefer my classics megatron to not turn into a sega console.
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549047)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on February 8th, 2014 @ 9:26pm CST
#Sideways# wrote:Now, if this thing actually is a functioning SEGA Genesis, like the Music Label Soundwave that was a functioning MP3 player, then it would basically be an instant buy for me. I mean, this is awesome. No doubt about it.

Well, if that's a real Genesis on the right, the size of Meg's alt makes me wonder if it's supposed to be an accessory scaled to 12 inch or larger human figures/dolls.
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549050)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on February 8th, 2014 @ 9:53pm CST
It's black, it's sleek, and says 16 bit right on the front; like in your face!
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549055)
Posted by Seibertron on February 8th, 2014 @ 10:06pm CST
Makes this sense no.
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549056)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on February 8th, 2014 @ 10:12pm CST
Seibertron wrote:Makes this sense no.

Well to be fair, Sega was in competition during the Bit-wars, taking the lead with the Genesis/megadrive, but eventually lost to Nintendo. So Transformer civil war analogy, where the decepticons are sega, and megatron's the genesis? Or it could be a pun, Mega-drive, Mega-tron, the Japanese do love their puns, which don't really translate well. Actually that's a misnomer, they don't trans illiterate at all.
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549060)
Posted by Diem on February 8th, 2014 @ 10:25pm CST
I'm excited for the more ridiculous segments of the fandom to ask why this isn't being called Genesis Megatron.

Also this is kind of a fun thing, and if I still lived in Japan I would probably pick it up.
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549085)
Posted by Mindmaster on February 8th, 2014 @ 11:18pm CST
So I guess he'll be known as... Segatron?

Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549106)
Posted by wewyllenium on February 9th, 2014 @ 12:45am CST
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549112)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on February 9th, 2014 @ 2:07am CST
i want one
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549113)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on February 9th, 2014 @ 2:08am CST
wewyllenium wrote:Now I want a Nintendimus Prime!!! Or Even a SoundWiiU!!! Or even an Ultra64Magnus!!! And A Gameboybee :D
Let's see what else: Sky LYNX, Beast Wars NeoGeo, Kiss Players Atari (whichever system she fused with, it couldn't be any messier than when my 2600 spontaneously burnt out), GAME-real-GEAR-robots, VIRTUAL-scissor-BOY...

But I really wanna' see the next dead system mashed up with a dead robot toyline: the Gobots present, TURBOgrafx 16! Of course that might face competition from GameCUBIX, or did they revive that show?

Wait, since it's Segatron, how did we overlook the TF mashup possibilities of Genesis's predecessor: The Head-/Target-/Power-/God-/Brain-/Micro-/Action-/Disc-/Build-MASTER System?!?!?!

I'm...going to utterly loathe this new Arts line in the morning. No matter what direction it takes.
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549136)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 9th, 2014 @ 5:56am CST

Originally I was going to laugh at the stupidity of this comment, but then I remembered that neat little Megadrive handheld I had a few years ago, which I opened after it died to find out that most of the space was taken up by the battery, the screen, and the controlls, and that the actual console guts of it was incredibly tiny. Then seeing how large this guy's chest is, I guess, it might actually be a functioning Megadrive, just not with cartridges and more with built in games.
And that would be incredibly awesome, and yes I kinda want it to be like that now. :D

Also, yea, this is awesome and if not too expensive will go on my shelf of interesting oddities, especially if it does function as a Megadrive.
Re: Takara Tomy Sega Mega Drive Megatron (1549146)
Posted by craggy on February 9th, 2014 @ 7:44am CST
the gun barrel appears to be a usb port, so that might be how they stick games on it. looks like an okay toy I suppose.

is that good enough for a post, or do I have to do an uninformed stream of consciousness rant about a console war that ended 20years ago?

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #145 - May Mayhem