Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed

Transformers News: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed

Thursday, August 22nd, 2013 11:54PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Mkall   Views: 21,353

A new picture has surfaced on the Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime, and hold on to your hats as this shows us the final robot mode (albeit in a rather tiny picture)

It seems that the fandom was led astray by a previous picture of a remote-controlled version of our favourite Autobot Leader, only to be linked to some concept art that looked nothing like it.

It appears there may be two versions of this figure being created. A remote-controlled version, and another designed to appeal to those fans who would desire more traditional Transformers toy, though it appears it may come with snap-on armour pieces to create the Optimus Prime colour of your choice: white or red. This one will retail for 4,200 yen (42.39 USD).

This image puts to rest any misconceptions we may have had about this figure. Yes, it does look similar to the concept art.

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime in the Works

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime in the Works
Credit(s): Singapore TF Fans Facebook Page
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513482)
Posted by Mkall on August 22nd, 2013 @ 11:59pm CDT
I take back most of what I said previously: this looks like a figure I may have to track down depending on how it sizes up.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513483)
Posted by Convotron on August 23rd, 2013 @ 12:00am CDT
The non-RC version looks much better in bot mode.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513485)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on August 23rd, 2013 @ 12:11am CDT
it's almost like focusing on the figure aspect of a transformer makes it better comparaired to a figure focused on an overly complicated, intrusive, RC gimmick :D
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513489)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on August 23rd, 2013 @ 12:41am CDT
Better...much, much better.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513492)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on August 23rd, 2013 @ 1:42am CDT
Ooooooohhhhhhhhh man here's hoping Hasbro picks this thing up because I would give them AAAAAAALL my money for it.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513500)
Posted by TimothyR on August 23rd, 2013 @ 2:24am CDT
the story in this thread says "red or white" .. i don't see where you're seeing red..? i see orange and white.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513503)
Posted by RhA on August 23rd, 2013 @ 3:25am CDT
I knew it.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513524)
Posted by El Duque on August 23rd, 2013 @ 8:40am CDT
By way of Transformers Korea we now have official images of Takara Tomy's upcoming officially licensed Toyota FJ Cruiser Optimus Prime. The figure will apparently come in multiple decos, stands just under 6 inches tall in robot mode, and will require a certain level of assembly (think the previously Trans Scanning movie figures). See the images mirrored below.

Update: Takara Tomy have also updated their official Transformers website, which includes official images of the radio controlled version.

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513530)
Posted by GuyIncognito on August 23rd, 2013 @ 8:47am CDT

NOW it's on my must-buy list! I love the FJ Cruiser design, and this looks like a cool (and fun) figure that hopefully will display nicely alongside my four Alternators.

Now the question is: will this be a regular retail release in Japan? Will sites like BBTS be carrying it? Will we (in the U.S.) actually be able to buy it for roughly $45 (+ import cost and shipping)? Or is this one of those odd-ball Japanese exclusives that's only going to be sold at one particular chain of camera stores and will go for like $250 online?
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513558)
Posted by kirbenvost on August 23rd, 2013 @ 11:40am CDT
Nope, this is not for me. I love the FJ Cruiser but it doesn't make a good Optimus Prime, and I don't like the design of this figure. The building gimmick make it look like they had to simplify the figure compared to a normal Transformer. Further, it doesn't really fit in anywhere in my collection, except maybe my random OP shelf, but it's not awesome enough for that. Looks like just another oddball release, much like the Trans-Scanning figures.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513569)
Posted by Venowtron on August 23rd, 2013 @ 12:45pm CDT
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513575)
Posted by Mindmaster on August 23rd, 2013 @ 1:03pm CDT
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513583)
Posted by Mkall on August 23rd, 2013 @ 1:59pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:Make it a different character (no Nemesis Primes or Scourges), and I'm immediately sold.

Indeed. I'm wondering if I can find a junker alternator with a head that'll fit this character.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513635)
Posted by dragons on August 23rd, 2013 @ 7:43pm CDT
Looks good not good enough to buy.

Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513650)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 23rd, 2013 @ 8:40pm CDT
Toxitron! :P

dragons wrote:Since when did prime become next bumblebee every new transformer is bumblebee or prime wheres love for other charcters decpticons
Bad guys don't sell as well as (iconic) good guys in Japanese markets.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513700)
Posted by EagleTron on August 24th, 2013 @ 2:12am CDT
See I knew it. I knew this good looking fj cruiser mould would turn out to be a good toy and a not bad looking robot. Good job so far Takara on this one and I said So Far. I also don't recall seeing a switching parts gimmick like this one before. It just gives me a good thought of what the possibilities Transformers toys can evolve into.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513711)
Posted by Mykltron on August 24th, 2013 @ 4:29am CDT
YELLOW OPTIMUS?! Surely they'll rename it Bumblebee.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513712)
Posted by Mykltron on August 24th, 2013 @ 4:33am CDT
GuyIncognito wrote:[/img]

At 13cm it's going to look too small next to Alternators. This is more Alternity size.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513713)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on August 24th, 2013 @ 4:41am CDT
Mykltron wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:[/img]

As an SUV, it's too small to scale in with even Alternity. Heck, at a mere 130mm in bot mode, it's even shorter than MP Lambor. Using a ruler, I measured MP Lambor, and the FJ Optimus would stand up to about half an inch below Lambor's shoulder.

He's a standalone display figure at best, unless you customize him into Brawn or something.
Re: Takara Tomy Toyota FJ Cruise Optimus Prime Update: New Robot Mode Revealed (1513717)
Posted by robotmel on August 24th, 2013 @ 5:14am CDT
>:oP
At 13cm this will be a small Deluxe sized figure and probably at a premium price point too? :-?

It could really be just about any character but popping an Optimus Prime head on it will obviously be the first choice for a new figure.

I guess this could sit well in a Cyberverse/Legends scale type display? :???:

Ending Soon On eBay

AUTHENTIC 100% HASBRO TRANSFORMERS PLATINUM EDITION G1 REISSUE TRYPTICON FIGURE - Time Remaining: 1 day 22 hours 11 minutes 34 seconds
New GIANT BUMBLEBEE WALL DECALS Transformers Age of Extinction Wall Stickers  - Time Remaining: 3 days 7 hours 42 minutes 16 seconds
Hasbro Transformers G1 Commemorative Series V Reissue Autobot Inferno Complete - Time Remaining: 1 day 21 hours 57 minutes 29 seconds
Takara Transformers G1 Reissue Ratchet Collector's Edition MISB #99 - Time Remaining: 1 day 20 hours 46 minutes 47 seconds
Transformers Prime DARK ENERGON MEGATRON Complete Robot In Disguise Rid Voyager - Time Remaining: 9 days 7 hours 1 minute 53 seconds
Transformers Starscream Action Figure, Generations Combiner Wars - Time Remaining: 2 days 11 hours 2 minutes 46 seconds
Transformers Generations SOUNDBLASTER Complete Foc Figure w Buzzsaw - Time Remaining: 3 days 2 hours 3 minutes 9 seconds
Transformers Leader Class Combiner Wars Megatron MISB - Time Remaining: 3 days 15 hours 48 minutes 15 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #160 - Grappling with Memory