Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi

Transformers News: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi

Monday, December 30th, 2013 9:54PM CST

Categories: People News, Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 27,162

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

We have some interesting news on Takara Tomy's Transformers Masterpiece line to report from the latest issue of Dengeki Hobby by way of Autobase Aichi. According to an article within the pages of the magazine the 2014 Transformers Masterpiece line will have a new designer, or rather an old designer, Hironori Kobayashi.

Kobayashi is no stranger to the Masterpiece line, he designed MP-01 through MP-09, although his designs for MP-03 Starscream were tweaked by Shoji Kawamori. Kobayashi was also the designer behind the Alternity line. He will be taking over for current Masterpiece designer is Shogo Hasui, who's credits include MP-11 through MP-19. This change will not impact the the development of Masterpiece Fan Poll Winner Star Saber who is currently being designed by Hishashi Yuki.
Credit(s): Autobase Aichi, Dengeki Hobby
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538463)
Posted by Tronus_Rex on December 30th, 2013 @ 10:12pm CST
I like the new MP line, which did learn from the flaws of the original, & improved the quality. Hopefully, since H. Kobayashi, the engineer/designer drafted, said original, it will make him best qualified/suited to create future MP toys. After all, who would learn from his originals, better than himself, right? :-?
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538464)
Posted by RodimalToyota on December 30th, 2013 @ 10:13pm CST
Just as the MP line was becoming epic, they change the line up...

Wat?
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538468)
Posted by Powered Convoy on December 30th, 2013 @ 10:18pm CST
Scans from the magazine can be found here.
http://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/97 ... ers-scans/

Randy
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538477)
Posted by xyl360 on December 30th, 2013 @ 10:49pm CST
RodimalToyota wrote:Just as the MP line was becoming epic, they change the line up...

Wat?

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same at first, but this guy did design MP-10, the one that started it all with regards to the 'new' MPs so I think we'll be OK :).

Besides, who better to create MP-22 which is itself based on MP-10 than the one who designed MP-10?
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538492)
Posted by mesh on December 31st, 2013 @ 12:35am CST
hmmmmm......i don't know what to think here.
the masterpiece line started to become engineered amazingly since mp-11 to mp-19. why the change? and i thought mp-20 was supposed to be wheeljack, then bumblebee, THEN Ultra Magnus.

I hope to God they don't change the line up. there really is no need to change a good thing.
:BANG_HEAD: :-x #-o :HEADHURTS: :michaelbay:
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538494)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 31st, 2013 @ 12:51am CST
Star Saber is not MP-20. Or at least, he's never been confirmed to be. He might just get his own unique number to reflect his special-ness as a fan vote winner. But as MP-20? No confirmation.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538503)
Posted by Cyberpath on December 31st, 2013 @ 2:20am CST
Wait, are you sure it wasn't actually Shogo Hasui behind the MP-10?

Because I read an interview with Hasui where he stated that he deigned the new Masterpiece Optimus Prime while Kobayashi was working on Rodimus Prime.

And why does Shogo Hasui have to leave the project anyway? I don't like the sound of this.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538527)
Posted by griftimus prime on December 31st, 2013 @ 7:49am CST
cool. i hope there will be many many more repaints to come.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538528)
Posted by Stormrider on December 31st, 2013 @ 7:58am CST
The last several figures have been excellent. Not sure I like this move. I really hope Kobayashi will pick up from Prowl/Blue Streak/Smokescreen with the same style. It would absolutely suck if the future figures don't match the recent figures in astetics. Did Hironori Kobayashi design MP Grimlock?
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538529)
Posted by mooncake623 on December 31st, 2013 @ 8:00am CST
OHHHH.. this is worrisome.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538557)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 31st, 2013 @ 10:30am CST
Cyberpath wrote:Wait, are you sure it wasn't actually Shogo Hasui behind the MP-10?

Because I read an interview with Hasui where he stated that he deigned the new Masterpiece Optimus Prime while Kobayashi was working on Rodimus Prime.
Yeah, Hasui definitely did MP-10 while Kobayashi's last MP was MP-9 Rodimus.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538565)
Posted by megatronus on December 31st, 2013 @ 10:52am CST
I'm not sure what to make of the fandom's collective freak out... >:oP
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538567)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 31st, 2013 @ 10:59am CST
megatronus wrote:I'm not sure what to make of the fandom's collective freak out... >:oP
On here, it looks less like a freak out more like just a cautionary awareness. The MP line has been doing so well so far, so to hear of a change of staff would naturally spur a reaction of some kind. ;)

At least we can still look forward to Hisashi Yuki's MP Star Saber since he's good at designing Super Robots like that. :D
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538580)
Posted by megatronus on December 31st, 2013 @ 12:00pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
megatronus wrote:I'm not sure what to make of the fandom's collective freak out... >:oP
On here, it looks less like a freak out more like just a cautionary awareness. The MP line has been doing so well so far, so to hear of a change of staff would naturally spur a reaction of some kind. ;)

At least we can still look forward to Hisashi Yuki's MP Star Saber since he's good at designing Super Robots like that. :D

Mmmm... Star Saber =P~
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538613)
Posted by El Duque on December 31st, 2013 @ 2:08pm CST
Yes, you guys are correct Shogo designed MP-10. I've corrected the post.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538662)
Posted by fenrir72 on December 31st, 2013 @ 6:52pm CST
People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials? Either way, the change in engineering designers would more or less have learned from mistakes and avoid them in future TF releases no? (and maybe avoid the stupid design flaws found in non MPs like TG Blitzwing)
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538663)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 31st, 2013 @ 7:02pm CST
fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials?
A little of both (as some parts were either too fragile or designed unworkable ways for the figure to function), as well as due to it simply being too ambitious for its own good, trying to play the role of both Hot Rod and Rodimus when it could have benefited from being constrained to just one and giving the other his own separate mold.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538710)
Posted by Trikeboy on December 31st, 2013 @ 11:46pm CST
I think Masterpiece collectors are entitled to be worried. Everything before MP-10 (which Kobayashi designed) while good, never really meshed as a collective series. Everything after has worked together and looks great together. As long as he doesn't ruin the series because third parties have realised that people want Masterpiece scaled toys. Quakewave was the catalyst and Xtransbots and Cubex are about to duel it out over Huffer. They have competition now, they better not ruin a good thing.

On the other hand, they have a Wheeljack and Bumblebee mold to repaint, not to mention Ultra Magnus so we do have some upcoming releases using the new Masterpieces.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538757)
Posted by REMINATOR on January 1st, 2014 @ 10:15am CST
The words so far is Hasui will be doing MP20,21,22 then he'll jump into TF Movie line. Kobayahi will pick up the MP Line starting with MP23 and up. Going to be very interesting to see both lines.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538762)
Posted by DinobotSix on January 1st, 2014 @ 10:26am CST
good to hear Hasui isn't going away! Looking at some of the pre-Hasui issues, this is a small concern, but hopefully one that is fixed by lessons learned as a design team.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538771)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 1st, 2014 @ 10:42am CST
fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials? Either way, the change in engineering designers would more or less have learned from mistakes and avoid them in future TF releases no? (and maybe avoid the stupid design flaws found in non MPs like TG Blitzwing)

Design and materials.
Its engineering feels and looks like it belongs on a figure twice the size. On top of that the Hasbro version featured the typical shitty paint Hasbro is known for, the kind that hates plastic and tries to get away from.
On top of that the QC wasn't that great, the thing is designed in a way that assembly needed to be very exact, which is something HasTak's factories aren't exactly known for.


This news is somewhat unnerving, Hasui really worked hard on the line so that everything worked scale and aesthetics wise. Kobayahi did some amazing work, but nothing in the line really worked out that well, none of the figures really looked like they came from the same line, hopefully they force him to comply with Hasui's established direction, if not I'll drop the line and just give up on the toys completely.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538777)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on January 1st, 2014 @ 10:58am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials?
A little of both (as some parts were either too fragile or designed unworkable ways for the figure to function), as well as due to it simply being too ambitious for its own good, trying to play the role of both Hot Rod and Rodimus when it could have benefited from being constrained to just one and giving the other his own separate mold.


And for the love of Primus, don't get the Hasbro version. It has a rather annoying problem in that shoulders really like to break on that version. Spring too strong or plastic too weak? Who knows? The little OffshootFirebolt isn't worth his hefty price tag alone.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538781)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 1st, 2014 @ 11:07am CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials?
A little of both (as some parts were either too fragile or designed unworkable ways for the figure to function), as well as due to it simply being too ambitious for its own good, trying to play the role of both Hot Rod and Rodimus when it could have benefited from being constrained to just one and giving the other his own separate mold.


And for the love of Primus, don't get the Hasbro version. It has a rather annoying problem in that shoulders really like to break on that version. Spring too strong or plastic too weak? Who knows? The little OffshootFirebolt isn't worth his hefty price tag alone.

Especially not when it's been misasembled and its pin was forced into the wrong hole.
At least the large diecast matrix it came with is pretty awesome.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538787)
Posted by Stormrider on January 1st, 2014 @ 11:52am CST
Dead Metal wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials?
A little of both (as some parts were either too fragile or designed unworkable ways for the figure to function), as well as due to it simply being too ambitious for its own good, trying to play the role of both Hot Rod and Rodimus when it could have benefited from being constrained to just one and giving the other his own separate mold.


And for the love of Primus, don't get the Hasbro version. It has a rather annoying problem in that shoulders really like to break on that version. Spring too strong or plastic too weak? Who knows? The little OffshootFirebolt isn't worth his hefty price tag alone.

Especially not when it's been misasembled and its pin was forced into the wrong hole.
At least the large diecast matrix it came with is pretty awesome.


I found the Matrix to be too fidgety. My favorite feature for MP Rodimus is the trailer/anti aircraft gun.


REMINATOR wrote:The words so far is Hasui will be doing MP20,21,22 then he'll jump into TF Movie line. Kobayahi will pick up the MP Line starting with MP23 and up. Going to be very interesting to see both lines.


I had not heard this before and hope it's true. But don't the movie toys need to be in the planning stages now in order to come out in time for the movie?
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538795)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 1st, 2014 @ 12:34pm CST
Stormrider wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials?
A little of both (as some parts were either too fragile or designed unworkable ways for the figure to function), as well as due to it simply being too ambitious for its own good, trying to play the role of both Hot Rod and Rodimus when it could have benefited from being constrained to just one and giving the other his own separate mold.


And for the love of Primus, don't get the Hasbro version. It has a rather annoying problem in that shoulders really like to break on that version. Spring too strong or plastic too weak? Who knows? The little OffshootFirebolt isn't worth his hefty price tag alone.

Especially not when it's been misasembled and its pin was forced into the wrong hole.
At least the large diecast matrix it came with is pretty awesome.


I found the Matrix to be too fidgety. My favorite feature for MP Rodimus is the trailer/anti aircraft gun.



I was talking about the awesome extra one that came with the Hasbro version, it's like the Mp 1 Matrix, just die-cast and incredibly detailed.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538844)
Posted by Stormrider on January 1st, 2014 @ 7:02pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:
Stormrider wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials?
A little of both (as some parts were either too fragile or designed unworkable ways for the figure to function), as well as due to it simply being too ambitious for its own good, trying to play the role of both Hot Rod and Rodimus when it could have benefited from being constrained to just one and giving the other his own separate mold.


And for the love of Primus, don't get the Hasbro version. It has a rather annoying problem in that shoulders really like to break on that version. Spring too strong or plastic too weak? Who knows? The little OffshootFirebolt isn't worth his hefty price tag alone.

Especially not when it's been misasembled and its pin was forced into the wrong hole.
At least the large diecast matrix it came with is pretty awesome.


I found the Matrix to be too fidgety. My favorite feature for MP Rodimus is the trailer/anti aircraft gun.



I was talking about the awesome extra one that came with the Hasbro version, it's like the Mp 1 Matrix, just die-cast and incredibly detailed.


Oh, I didn't realize the Hasbro version had a better Matrix. That's cool.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538849)
Posted by REMINATOR on January 1st, 2014 @ 8:11pm CST
Stormrider wrote:
REMINATOR wrote:The words so far is Hasui will be doing MP20,21,22 then he'll jump into TF Movie line. Kobayahi will pick up the MP Line starting with MP23 and up. Going to be very interesting to see both lines.


I had not heard this before and hope it's true. But don't the movie toys need to be in the planning stages now in order to come out in time for the movie?

I have no clue about movie toy planning stage. But for info regarding Hasui is doing MP20-22 and Kobayshi will do MP23+, it was first brought up by TFW2005 poster zy80 (post #273):
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transform ... hi-28.html

who got it from ACToy Forum:
http://bbs.actoys.net/read.php?tid-1800996.html
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538854)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 1st, 2014 @ 8:33pm CST
Stormrider wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
Stormrider wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials?
A little of both (as some parts were either too fragile or designed unworkable ways for the figure to function), as well as due to it simply being too ambitious for its own good, trying to play the role of both Hot Rod and Rodimus when it could have benefited from being constrained to just one and giving the other his own separate mold.


And for the love of Primus, don't get the Hasbro version. It has a rather annoying problem in that shoulders really like to break on that version. Spring too strong or plastic too weak? Who knows? The little OffshootFirebolt isn't worth his hefty price tag alone.

Especially not when it's been misasembled and its pin was forced into the wrong hole.
At least the large diecast matrix it came with is pretty awesome.


I found the Matrix to be too fidgety. My favorite feature for MP Rodimus is the trailer/anti aircraft gun.



I was talking about the awesome extra one that came with the Hasbro version, it's like the Mp 1 Matrix, just die-cast and incredibly detailed.


Oh, I didn't realize the Hasbro version had a better Matrix. That's cool.
It had two Matrixes. The tiny one that came with the Japanese version, and second bigger one that Rodimus could hold and wrap his fingers around the handles. As Dead Metal said, the bigger one is similar to the Matrix that came with MP-1 Convoy/20th Anniversary Optimus Prime, only without the shiny chrome and shaped a bit differently.

Though, Dead Metal, my Hasbro Rodimus's bigger Matrix isn't die-cast, IIRC. Was there a variant release or something else at work here? :???: :-?
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538858)
Posted by megatronus on January 1st, 2014 @ 8:42pm CST
Matrixes => Matrices?

:-B
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538879)
Posted by Cyberpath on January 1st, 2014 @ 10:35pm CST
Well, I'm glad that Hasui will be doing MP Bumblebee still. Assuming the word is correct.

I wonder if it was his decision to leave the line or if it was an order from higher up.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538901)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 2nd, 2014 @ 2:05am CST
Sabrblade wrote:It had two Matrixes. The tiny one that came with the Japanese version, and second bigger one that Rodimus could hold and wrap his fingers around the handles. As Dead Metal said, the bigger one is similar to the Matrix that came with MP-1 Convoy/20th Anniversary Optimus Prime, only without the shiny chrome and shaped a bit differently.

Though, Dead Metal, my Hasbro Rodimus's bigger Matrix isn't die-cast, IIRC. Was there a variant release or something else at work here? :???: :-?

Pretty sure it's die-cast.
I wanted to buy the Dr Wu die-cast Matrix, but before I pulled the trigger I got my Rodimus Matrix out of storage just to marvel at it again. I then realized that it was colder than the plastic on Rodimus and felt like metal.
It might be a variant, but I'll need to get it out of storage again.
But yea, pretty sure it's die-cast.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538925)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 2nd, 2014 @ 9:08am CST
Mine's at my dad's so next time I'm over there, I'll need to check it.

Also, some coding needs fixing. ;)
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538929)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 2nd, 2014 @ 9:34am CST
Sabrblade wrote:Mine's at my dad's so next time I'm over there, I'll need to check it.

Also, some coding needs fixing. ;)

Fixed the coding, that's due to me being used to having the comments start a line under the "[/quote] tag", while you just start writing eminently after the tag, I forgot and missed that part of the quote and tag.

So I got it out again, and it turns out it's not die-cast, it's also not as shiny as the Dr Wu Matrix, still way better than the crappy MP 01 Matrix, but still. Just checked, the shiny Die-cast one is actually the MP-10 Matrix, but that doesn't open, so I mixed them together and formed the most amazing Matrix in my mind ... :lol:
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi (1538931)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 2nd, 2014 @ 9:41am CST
Dead Metal wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Mine's at my dad's so next time I'm over there, I'll need to check it.

Also, some coding needs fixing. ;)

Fixed the coding, that's due to me being used to having the comments start a line under the "
tag", while you just start writing eminently after the tag, I forgot and missed that part of the quote and tag.

So I got it out again, and it turns out it's not die-cast, it's also not as shiny as the Dr Wu Matrix, still way better than the crappy MP 01 Matrix, but still. Just checked, the shiny Die-cast one is actually the MP-10 Matrix, but that doesn't open, so I mixed them together and formed the most amazing Matrix in my mind ... :lol:[/quote]Aw, I liked the MP-1 Matrix. All nice and shiny chrome. It looks beautiful. The Rodimus one look less "alive" by comparison.

And, this may just be mine, but IIRC the MP-1 Matrix opens and closes much more freely and swimmingly than the Rodimus one, which is a bit more stiff.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars
Twincast / Podcast #98:
"Combiner Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, August 14th, 2014