Transformers News: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece

Tuesday, March 18th, 2014 8:08AM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 11,140

Takara Tomy Masterpiece designer Shogo Hasui has tweeted an image demonstrating MP-13B Soundblaster's optional snap on purple chest piece. The figure comes with a base red chest window for toy accuracy, plus the aforementioned purple chest expansion piece for animation accuracy. The set also includes the brand new Masterpiece Ratbat figure. The figure should be out later this month.

Transformers News: Re: MP-14B Soundblaster with Ratbat and MP-12G G2 Sideswipe Official Images!
Credit(s): Shogo Hasui
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558464)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 18th, 2014 @ 8:17am CDT
Ah ha! So that's how it pulls off the two different colored chests.

And the attachment is reminiscent of both the MP Soundwave version that came with that attachable grid window, as well as being accurate to both the original toy and cartoon model that each had an extended chest window. 8)
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558466)
Posted by Maquese on March 18th, 2014 @ 8:26am CDT
Can't believe it never occurred to me before that this is how they'd pull it off. A little disappointed that there's no Decepticon insignia if you go with the red chest... unless there's a sticker
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558483)
Posted by AutoBorst on March 18th, 2014 @ 10:27am CDT
This is one time I'll hope for a KO production. I want Ratbat but I'm not going to spend another $130.00 for one.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558551)
Posted by zodconvoy on March 18th, 2014 @ 3:05pm CDT
I really want Ratbat so I'm just going to slap a :G2CON: symbol on the red door and call it my G2 Soundwave. Sideswipe needs someone to gnash his teeth at!
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558622)
Posted by Stormrider on March 18th, 2014 @ 9:02pm CDT
Mkall wrote:Eventually there will be a way to get MP Ratbat on his own or part of a later set. I eagerly await that time.

Yes, I am waiting for the purge, too.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558671)
Posted by Cyberpath on March 19th, 2014 @ 4:03am CDT

Hasui posted this comparison photo of MP13B and G1 Ratbat, and added that the former is more cartoon accurate and transforms without extra parts (like MP Laserbeak.)
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558684)
Posted by Dr Va'al on March 19th, 2014 @ 6:42am CDT
Takara designer Shogo Hasui keeps trickling visual information about the upcoming Masterpiece repaint figure MP-13B Soundblaster - and it's time to take a proper look at the cassette Ratbat! Check out the image below, a comparison of the original G1 cassette and the one included in the release.

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558686)
Posted by RiddlerJ on March 19th, 2014 @ 7:10am CDT
Want that Ratbat soooo baaaad. :sad:
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558688)
Posted by Rated X on March 19th, 2014 @ 7:39am CDT
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558693)
Posted by reluctantyouth on March 19th, 2014 @ 8:24am CDT
I 2nd the KO idea please :grin: ...not going to buy a repaint mold just for Ratbat :-x . I already have 4 Masterpiece Soundwave (1 open and keeping the other three in box) :-B .

~reluctantyouth~ :BOT:
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558701)
Posted by TimothyR on March 19th, 2014 @ 9:00am CDT
Rated X wrote:Ill never get the logic behind the MP scale. Soundwave doubles in size, but the cassettes stay the same and retain G1 toy scale ? Dumb as hell but it works for me since the cassettes scale perfect with classics. I really want that ratbat without having to buy another useless coffee table figure. KO guys please make it happen...

really?.. you don't understand the logic behind the MP scale.. what is it that you don't understand?.. is it that they didn't want to make MP soundwaves chest gigantic, but rather keep it relatively in scale to itself?.. or that they wanted MP soundwave to obtain the ability to house the cassettes in his chest.. which, leads me back to my first point..

so.. again, which don't you understand?

not sure how it's "dumb as hell".. but hey, you can continue to believe it.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558704)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 19th, 2014 @ 9:10am CDT
Isn't it obvious? It's for backtrack compatibility with the G1 Soundwave and Blaster toys. It's to give them an extra level of playability across both lines to let them each use each other's cassettes.

It's the same reason that the Ravage that came with Universe Hound was likewise scaled to fit inside G1 Soundwave's chest (though, specifically the remolded chest version, which Hasbro did release at TRU during Classics).

Not to mention that the G1 Soundwave chest was proportionately huge compared to the rest of his body. Guy looked liked billboard with limbs and a head. :P But keeping that chest door size scaled as it was and upscaling the rest of his body brings out a more reasonably proportioned bot, with proportions that not only look more natural but also match up with his cartoon model proportions. Otherwise, had G1 Soundwave been proportionally-correct from the beginning, either his G1 toy would have already been MP-sized (like G1 Blaster's toy was) or his chest door and cassettes would have been teeny-tiny. ;)
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558715)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on March 19th, 2014 @ 10:06am CDT
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558724)
Posted by megatronus on March 19th, 2014 @ 10:57am CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:I don't know how but there has to be a way to release rat bat without Soundblaster. Then again there might be more cassettes on the way so this might get a summertime us release.

I highly doubt there will be a release of Ratbat by himself or in a 2-pack. Wingthing, on the other hand...
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558731)
Posted by Rated X on March 19th, 2014 @ 11:35am CDT
TimothyR wrote:

so.. again, which don't you understand?

not sure how it's "dumb as hell".. but hey, you can continue to believe it.

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558741)
Posted by mooncake623 on March 19th, 2014 @ 12:07pm CDT
I don't know why people are against owning a Soundblaster. He displays nicely with Rodimus.
I'm going to display Rodimus fighting against Soundblaster and Sixshot(MMC's Hexatron) in a detolf.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558747)
Posted by zodconvoy on March 19th, 2014 @ 12:34pm CDT
Rated X wrote:I didn't think it took a rocket scientist to realize that by not enlarging the cassettes, cartoon scale was sacrificed for "playability". in my honest opinion, playability was for kids toys (hence G1 toy scale) If Takara chose the toy scale over the cartoon scale, they dropped the ball. The MP line was supposed to be cartoon accurate. Am I the only adult on here who just displays $150 figures rather than "playing" with them ? Either way it works for me because now the casettes are really classics scale which is what I collect. MP Soundwave hangs out in the vintage cabinet next to his G1 counterpart still waiting to be transformed for the first time. One of these days...

Okay, in the cartoon Rumble (yes, the blue one) was about the same size as Spike, maybe a little taller. Scaling him to Spike would have made Rumble about an inch and a half tall. But at the same time, they show him as nearly as tall as Hound. And Bumblebee is a full sized car that ends up maybe 7' tall in robot mode.

Then there's this:

And this:

And this:

But aside from all of the sliding scales and mass-shifting, there is a very practical reason for the cassettes to be that size:

Laserbeak has to be the right size to interact with Soundwave (and eventually Megatron). Like 80% of Laserbeak's purpose in the series is to show who is in command of the Decepticons. He's been on my Soundwave's arm pretty much since I got them and he's probably going to stay there until MP-30 Megatron comes out.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558750)
Posted by megatronus on March 19th, 2014 @ 12:38pm CDT
zodconvoy wrote:...and he's probably going to stay there until MP-30 Megatron comes out.

MP-30? Your realistic expectations makes me sad. :-(
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558770)
Posted by zodconvoy on March 19th, 2014 @ 2:10pm CDT
megatronus wrote:

MP-30? Your realistic expectations makes me sad. :-(

It was originally MP-50 but that made me too sad to post it! :-(
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-13B Soundblaster Optional Purple Chest Piece (1558798)
Posted by Samsonator on March 19th, 2014 @ 5:51pm CDT
zodconvoy wrote:A whole buncha truth about the cartoon's "scale"

Agreed, man... the scale of the cassettes never bothered me, as in the show there was never a consistent size to them in the first place, except Laserbeak's shoulder/arm perching. the MP Laserbeak fits that scale perfectly, and the other cassettes scale with him so they all have the same sized cassette mode. Makes completely logical sense to me.

Ending Soon On eBay

TA-06 MEGATRON Transformers Animated complete Voyager 2008 Takara Tomy Japan - Time Remaining: 1 day 12 hours 34 minutes 19 seconds
2016 Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Leader Skywarp - Decepticon - Time Remaining: 11 days 19 hours 10 minutes 8 seconds
TRANSFORMERS RID ROBOTS IN DISGUISE JHIAXUS  FIGURE - Time Remaining: 3 days 20 hours 20 minutes 5 seconds
TAKARA TRANSFORMERS G1 90 TIGERTRACK E-HOBBY EXCLUSIVE YELLOW SIDESWIPE - Time Remaining: 3 days 11 hours 20 minutes 18 seconds
Transformers G1 Masterpiece Dinobot Sludge Fans Toys FT-07 Stomp in USA!! - Time Remaining: 3 days 12 hours 58 minutes 13 seconds
TRANSFORMERS ALTERNATORS TRACKS BLUE CORVETTE WITH G1 FLAME STICKER - Time Remaining: 3 days 7 hours 59 minutes 13 seconds
TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS JAPAN C-39 SURVIVE KODIAK GRIZZLY BEAR FIGURE - Time Remaining: 2 days 18 hours 16 minutes 55 seconds
TRANSFORMERS G1 E-HOBBY SHATTERED GLASS SG SOUNDWAVE SG BLASTER SOUNDBLASTER - Time Remaining: 3 days 12 hours 35 minutes 35 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #148 - And Rom The Space Knight
"And Rom The Space Knight"
Posted: Monday, June 27th, 2016