Transformers News: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit!

Thursday, March 6th, 2014 4:36AM CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Autobot032   Views: 24,101

Fellow Seibertronian Dead Metal found this link on Planet Iacon's Facebook page that showcases the prototype for the upcoming Masterpiece Bumblebee, his weapon (a pistol) and Spike's exosuit from 1986's Transformers: The Movie!

We've mirrored the image for your convenience, below. Release date for this guy hasn't become public knowledge just yet, but as soon as we know, you will!

Transformers News: Masterpiece Bumblebee Prototype Revealed Includes Spike's Exosuit!

Update: Larger image courtesy of Seibertron.com member Cyberpath:

Credit(s): Planet Iacon, Dead Metal, Cyberpath
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555475)
Posted by robotmel on March 6th, 2014 @ 4:38am CST
:shock:
Wow this is going to be one tiny Masterpiece!
Going by the persons thumb, Id guess this works out about 6 thumbs high, head to toe, making this smaller than most of our Classics deluxe figures!
A Deluxe Masterpiece? :lol:
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555476)
Posted by Cyberpath on March 6th, 2014 @ 4:39am CST
Looks good from what I can make out.

I wonder why the face comes off -- perhaps an interchangeable toy-accurate face; or another cartoon one with a cheerful expression?

'Bee will add even more variety to the colour scheme and heights of the Autobot MP lineup.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555478)
Posted by BATTLEMASTER IIC on March 6th, 2014 @ 4:44am CST
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555479)
Posted by Autobot032 on March 6th, 2014 @ 4:50am CST
BATTLEMASTER IIC wrote:So how did Takara manage to license the Beetle from Volkswagen? I thought the car manufacturer didn't want to be associated with war machines.

Honestly, I don't know. I'd imagine it was one pricey deal, though.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555481)
Posted by Venoose1 on March 6th, 2014 @ 5:02am CST
[quote]BATTLEMASTER IIC wrote:
[/quote]

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555485)
Posted by Doubledealer93 on March 6th, 2014 @ 5:30am CST
i need this.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555487)
Posted by Burn on March 6th, 2014 @ 5:40am CST
Looking alright from the pics, let's hope we don't have to wait too long for something more high res and coloured.
(Though we have a few good guys on this site who can digitally colour alright)

Maybe they just ... changed their stance?
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555490)
Posted by Mykltron on March 6th, 2014 @ 6:06am CST
The exosuit looks better than the 3rd party version - at least it's properly in scale.

Maybe there's a new guy in charge of that.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555492)
Posted by Trailbreaker77 on March 6th, 2014 @ 6:11am CST

Autobot032 wrote:Honestly, I don't know. I'd imagine it was one pricey deal, though.

Venoose1 wrote:Maybe Volkswagen watched the TF movies and realised that the Autobots and Bumblebee are are force of good that only want to bring peace and harmony to Earth, or maybe Takara gave them a briefcase stuffed with cash. I don't know, it's a tough one. ;)

[quote]- Any hardship to obtain vehicle licence?
H: Actually, thanks to Tomica brand, we can negotiate with many car manufacturers such as Fiat. This is a great result of merger (of Takara and Tomy). I had a Lancia Stratos Tomica when I was little. The style and colour scheme is very unique and hard to forget. It was my favourite but as I was young, I don't think I remembered the name.[/quote]
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555495)
Posted by El Duque on March 6th, 2014 @ 6:34am CST

That's just a myth that's circulated through the fandom for years. It's always been about the money. It the past they parties just couldn't arrive at the right numbers to satisfy both parties. And as Trailbreaker77 mentioned the Tomica deal has apparently opened new doors.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555497)
Posted by frogbat on March 6th, 2014 @ 6:43am CST
hopefully it'll still be priced around the fairlady ones in spite of the additional exo suit and also that the exo suit isn't some special exclusive...
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555502)
Posted by warzon3 on March 6th, 2014 @ 7:48am CST
Okay, I'm gonna say it, I was hoping for Chibified Bee, but I like this, and I understand for various reasons it could have gone either way.

I like how the they got the tire on the back, similar to the animation model, not sure why it sits so high up on the back though?

If they are adding stuff to justify the price point I hope we get more than 2 replaceable faces, I hope we get a couple facial expressions besides a G1 toy face.

I don't think I will buy a MP Cliffjumper now though. To me CJ's Chibi model hardly resembled the vehicle at all, it will be unrecognizable.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555503)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 6th, 2014 @ 7:51am CST
Trailbreaker77 wrote:Actually it's none of those things, it has to do with the merger of TOMY with Takara. Here is a quote from the last interview with the MP Designer S. Hasui.

[quote]- Any hardship to obtain vehicle licence?
[/quote]This right here.

It's all thanks to Tomica that Takara is able to get all these car licenses more swimmingly than Hasbro, and Volkswagon was an admittedly tough one for them to get, but they got it and that's awesome!

Though, not sure why this news needed its own thread instead of continuing on from the existing one. :???:
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555506)
Posted by Darkman20xx on March 6th, 2014 @ 8:07am CST

<!-- ia1 -->transformers-wfc-vs-g1-bumblebee (2).jpg<!-- ia1 -->

<!-- ia0 -->render_volkswagen_beetle (2).jpg<!-- ia0 -->

Just a comparison with the newer model to show what I mean
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555509)
Posted by wilcosu35 on March 6th, 2014 @ 8:16am CST
looks awesome :)
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555516)
Posted by Doc bot on March 6th, 2014 @ 8:29am CST

Judging by the interview, this line is selling very well since they don't have to repurpose molds. I suspect this line will go on for a long time since guys like me will consistently buy them all. Unfortunately, this also means they will gradually crank the prices up since we are captive addicts.
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555520)
Posted by mooncake623 on March 6th, 2014 @ 8:37am CST
his face looks kind of fat... also is that a wheel on his back?

any chance this actually comes with spike? that would be awesome! :D
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555521)
Posted by Darkman20xx on March 6th, 2014 @ 8:38am CST
Doc bot wrote:As a counter argument, I really like this bee precisely because it is an original old model VW but has a toonish bot mode. Growing up in the 80's, I remember getting him for $3 at the local toy store. Nothing about that toy looks like what he was in the show, but I didn't care at all since in my mind he was the same. These masterpieces are the toys I imagined I was playing with when I was a kid. Tomy is banking on this nostalgia heavily. Realistically, they are luxury, collector toys aimed at my generation who has disposable income.

Don't get me wrong....I love the Masterpiece line. It's just that to me they were always going for cartoon accuracy and not toy accuracy (Wheeljack for example looks exactly like his cartoon appearance but not so much like the actual toy). I just feel that if Bumblebee was never accurate to that version of the Volkswagon Beetle in the cartoon why use that version now? This to me more reminds me of a Gobot I had as kid in vehichle mode. (Can't remember his name....think it was BugBite)
Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555522)
Posted by rpetras on March 6th, 2014 @ 8:41am CST
Darkman20xx wrote:Obviously we have to wait until we have finished version pics but right now I really don't like it. Bee is one of those guys you will never get cartoon accurate in both modes due to the way he was animated. (Somehow the hood and front fenders folded into feet with no lights or hood kibble on the cartoon) He also had a rounded and plump car mode but slimmed down considerably in robot mode. Due to all this the use of this version of the Bug just makes the figure look old and bland. Though it wouldn't be accurate I would much rather have the alt mode made from one of the newer Bug models.

The 3P guys seem to have hit the cartoon look pretty well in both modes:

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumblebee Prototype Revealed - Includes Spike's Exosuit! (1555524)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 6th, 2014 @ 8:45am CST
mooncake623 wrote:his face looks kind of fat... also is that a wheel on his back?
Yep, just like in the cartoon.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Cybertron Satellite exclusive "Dark Guard" "Optimus Prime voyager"  - Time Remaining: 4 days 14 hours 9 minutes 39 seconds
"Vehicon" First Edition Takara Tomy "Transformers" HASBRO PRIME Original Colors - Time Remaining: 6 days 6 hours 9 minutes 27 seconds
3 Transformers Hero Mashers! Autobot Jetfire Bumble Bee & Drift - Time Remaining: 6 days 17 hours 44 minutes 52 seconds
TRANSFORMERS G1 TRU REISSUE RODIMUS PRIME COMMEMORATIVE - Time Remaining: 4 days 15 hours 16 minutes 39 seconds
NEW Transformers Masterpiece MakeToys MTRM-02Y Gundog MP Hound G1 toy colour - Time Remaining: 5 days 7 hours 17 minutes 45 seconds
TRANSFORMERS TAKARA REISSUE # 18 SOUNDBLASTER   FIGURE - Time Remaining: 4 days 15 hours 4 minutes 23 seconds
TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS BOTCON EXCLUSIVE ARCEE FIGURE - Time Remaining: 7 days 20 minutes 38 seconds
TRANSFORMERS INCENTIVE POSTER: DEVASTATOR vs SUPERION 24" x 36"  G1 2002 VHTF - Time Remaining: 5 days 8 hours 54 minutes 43 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #153 - Last Knights of Cybertron
"Last Knights of Cybertron"
Posted: Monday, August 15th, 2016